Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wasabi the J posted:

Hand dryers are an energy inefficient piss-spraying cancer upon the public bathroom.

Piss and everything else in the air like, say, COVID. I thought for sure the pandemic would be the death of hand dryers in bathrooms and, welp, I think the only progress I've seen there is a couple businesses adding those door foot pulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1933-Hinsdale-Rd-Hartsel-CO-80449/225403502_zpid/

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You can't park a kitchen there, mate.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

That's a weird looking bookshe... Oh... Oh no.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hopefully they insulated the stairs.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Char some hot peppers on a skillet and see who's brave enough to move above it where all the steam and smoke go.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I like the tiny crevice in which to sleep.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I quite enjoy how they bought 5 acres in the spring, built a seasonal shanty that probably doesn't meet insulation code here (R27 walls, R49 roof), didn't bother drilling a well or planting septic, and still had the balls to list that shithole for $150k initially.

There's a "house" (three sheds butted together) north of me that keeps dropping in price, and the lister keeps adding reasons not to buy it to the description. Last week they added, "No plumbing and electrical inspections but both are functional and home is move-in ready." They did a one day price drop of $6k before raising it again the next day. Lol.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/25963-Goldenhill-Avenue-Moffat-CO-81131/248809993_zpid/

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I quite enjoy how they bought 5 acres in the spring, built a seasonal shanty that probably doesn't meet insulation code here (R27 walls, R49 roof), didn't bother drilling a well or planting septic, and still had the balls to list that shithole for $150k initially.

There's a "house" (three sheds butted together) north of me that keeps dropping in price, and the lister keeps adding reasons not to buy it to the description. Last week they added, "No plumbing and electrical inspections but both are functional and home is move-in ready." They did a one day price drop of $6k before raising it again the next day. Lol.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/25963-Goldenhill-Avenue-Moffat-CO-81131/248809993_zpid/

With an HOA, lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

marchantia posted:

With an HOA, lol

Yeah, but there's actually not a bad reason for that in that specific area. That region is riddled with hot springs, so the HOA has water supply buried in the edge of the road, and a tap there is $3k vs minimum $12k for drilling a well. No water bill if you pay your HOA fees. I think it also covers trash service and plowing and grading roads, which are mostly dirt anyhow.

Some places, an HOA makes sense. That little "house" is an hour from the nearest town large enough to have a walmart.

The one I snipped pics from is somehow more remote.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
So the HOA is basically providing services the local municipality should be on top of. I understand what you're saying, but what a ridiculous country we live in that the cost of having proper plumbing is that the petty tyrant down the street gets to fine you for having the wrong color flowers

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

HolHorsejob posted:

So the HOA is basically providing services the local municipality should be on top of. I understand what you're saying, but what a ridiculous country we live in that the cost of having proper plumbing is that the petty tyrant down the street gets to fine you for having the wrong color flowers

theres like 100 people in that town lol, the HOA could just as well be the town board

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, it might as well be.

That's actually a pretty decent HOA from my understanding. It's not prohibitively expensive, and having driven through it, they definitely do not care about what your yard looks like. It's largely sand anyhow.

A while back, 3 lots were for sale in that HOA, $10k for all totaling about 3.3 acres. There are other rural rear end HOAs here that provide similar services, have paid to run power and fiber through large parts of their properties. The most restrictive some of these get is "don't shoot your guns in the neighborhood unless there's a good reason" where the good reason is scaring off a bear or mountain lion.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HolHorsejob posted:

So the HOA is basically providing services the local municipality should be on top of

What local municipality?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. When I say the nearest walmart is an hour away, that's not really a joke.

I think there's a Dollar General within 10 miles though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HolHorsejob posted:

your point is valid for a lot of municipalities, but in this case i think we're talking about land that isn't part of a municipality. yeah the address says it's part of "Moffat CO" but if you look on a map, the Town of Moffatt or whatever its officially called is 5-10 miles south of the little development where this house is. in the pic below, the dotted line shows (i think) the city limits of moffatt, while the 3-shack property is north of there in the area where i drew the red circle

i know most people in america live in an "incorporated" town/city/etc, so it can seem weird when people talk about rural life, but it really is true that living in an "unincorporated" area/land works a bit differently for services like water, garbage collection, etc

edit: wow this HOA sounds pretty decent and progressive based on their website https://www.kvhomeownersassociation.com/about

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 3, 2022

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, that’s me. I’m in one town’s school district by an inch, my address is in a completely different town 10 times further away, and in actuality, we’re in completely unincorporated rural nowhere and all we get is gravel road maintenance and occasional plowing most of the way to our little neighborhood courtesy of the county when they feel like it.

The official reason our address is in Other Town is because they have a bigger post office.

All utilities that we get are rural (phone/electric, no cable, but we are on rural water which is awesome! Septic for waste though.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. When I say the nearest walmart is an hour away, that's not really a joke.

I think there's a Dollar General within 10 miles though.
Yeah, my nearest Walmart is an hour and a half away. However, when we go to the big city (16,728, baby!) it's for the Home Depot and Costco.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lutha Mahtin posted:

edit: wow this HOA sounds pretty decent and progressive based on their website https://www.kvhomeownersassociation.com/about

They know who lives out there. It's very poor out here in the valley. Something like 18k people in an area the size of Israel.

A lot of the HOAs here are very flexible, with some exceptions. Most seem to understand they can't just bilk people, can't pull blood from a stone. But there's one out by Crestone that will take your dues and still send you a delinquency notice on it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, my nearest Walmart is an hour and a half away. However, when we go to the big city (16,728, baby!) it's for the Home Depot and Costco.

There's a walmart here, but anything else big box, it's 2 hours to Pueblo. We have a reasonable selection otherwise.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Friends, do I ever have a plumbing related story to share - I hope you all can laugh at my expense.

Our story starts a few days ago, when my backup sump pump alarm was going off. As it turns out, the primary pump was dead. Relay in the starter clicked away, nothing from the pump. Could I have simply replaced the one pump? Definitely, but based on the serial numbers the pump was >10 years old, and the backup pump was the same age. The backup and primary pump come pre-mounted together, so swapping out just the primary pump would be a pain. I replaced the impeller on this primary pump last year, and have been waiting for it to die given the age.

Now, an important note. When I replaced the impeller a year ago, I discovered that the glue joint at the top of the discharge pipe had failed, where it goes into the elbow before leaving the house. Noting that the friction fit didn't leak, and being able to take apart the piping at this location was very useful, I decided to monitor for leaks and rely on friction. This, dear reader, was a mistake.

This brings us back to present time, where after having this setup last >10 years (and my sump runs frequently year round) I found the slightly updated model that had identical equipment layout and connections, and would work with the existing battery backup I had. Wonderful! Home it came, install was a breeze. Now, an important note. The discharge piping from the backup pump has an... 1/8"? hole on the discharge piping (from the factory) - I believe it's purpose is to prevent either dead-heading the pump in the event of a blockage, or airlocking because the backup pump inlet is above the normal water level and the pump discharge pipe is full of water (so as water rises to the pump inlet, it traps an air bubble in the volute - the little hole is enough for air to escape). Regardless, it sprays water when the backup pump runs. When I checked pump operation this morning, the spray from the hole was deflecting out of the sump pit and onto the floor, and that won't do.

So, now thinking myself to be positively brilliant, I simply rotated the friction fit pipe to direct the spray in a direction that wouldn't splash out of the pit. Perfect! However, while rotating the pipe, the main pump kicked on. The friction fit let go (I was literally twisting the pipe at the time) and drenched me and the floor around the pit (unfinished concrete basement) before I could pull the pumps power cable. Pulled the power cable on the pump, re-secured the friction fit, plugged the pump back in, and promptly doused myself again. Now late for work, I swore, hammered the friction fit back together, watched two leak free pump cycles, and called it good. This was my greatest error yet.

Fast forward to this evening, watching TV with my wife (after relaying this mornings events not 10 minutes prior), I heard something... strange from the basement. The friction fit again did not hold, and when I arrived in the basement my sump pump discharge pipe looked like what I'd imagine a fountain without the fancy poo poo around the piping would look like. Water. Water everywhere. Inadvertently take a 3rd shower for the day, pull plug, slam pipe back together, and now my sump is rather full - so in my infinite wisdom, I held the elbow down onto the discharge pipe and plugged the pump back in. For a moment, imagine if you will, a garden hose without a nozzle. Nice, steady flow, doesn't go too far. What happens when you cover part of the hose with your thumb? You get to spray people far away with water! In this comedy of errors, my hand holding the elbow down slipped, the elbow popped, and it was time for shower number 4. This time, however, I am attempting to hold the elbow over the discharge pipe, and it acted exactly like a thumb over a garden hose. I retract my previous water, water everywhere assessment, as now I truly do have water everywhere.

And by everywhere, I do in fact mean inside the brand new backup pump controller, all over the giant AGM battery, all over the (non GFCI, shhh) outlet, all over the relay box driven by the float switch to control the main pump, most of the way up the walls, etc. The new controller is freaking out, and appears to be hosed. It is now completely disconnected and drying out, and I am hopeful it may live again. The battery appears fine, though now dried off and completely disconnected from everything. The new relay box for the main pump appears to have failed as well - it turns the primary pump on, but not off.

Thankfully, I kept the pile of parts from the old pump. The new system is now running on the old primary pump starter (and old switch, because that's hardwired in) and the new controller is continuing to dry out. The old controller (which got drenched but wasn't powered on) appears functional (appropriate alarms when connected to the battery, activates the backup pump on switch activation, etc.) so I'll probably have to swap to the old controller (and old backup switch, again hardwired) but shouldn't need to spend more money at this point. The only real damage today has been to my pride.

That damned friction fit? That fucker is glued, with the glue sitting on the basement workbench not 20' from the sump pump. And I didn't call it good till after the appropriate drying time, plus using all of my meager strength to attempt to pull it apart.

Moral of the story? A new pump might have a bit more pressure than the previous one, and I am the PO I curse. The crappy construction in this story? Whoever did the original glue joint, and ahem... my "repairs".

The absolute worst part? I'm an engineer who deals with piping systems all the damned time, and in a previous job one of my duties was testing the systems I'd designed and the shop built. One of my biggest complaints? Shop guys missing a glue joint resulting in me taking a shower while testing. I know better.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Glorious :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thank you for your service.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

You goddamned magnificent idiot :allears:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LOL, nothing like being your own "previous owner".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Saw this interesting porch support today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s nice to have landscaping features like that as winter approaches, provides fall interest.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

TrueChaos posted:

Friends, do I ever have a plumbing related story to share - I hope you all can laugh at my expense.

That is amazing. I may have told a similar story before where my dad and I helped out a family friend by installing a new water heater for her. There was no water shut off between her well and the water heater. It was an old rear end pump as well and they didn’t want to risk cutting power to it because it was already having issues with losing its prime. So, in my father’s infinite wisdom he decided he would get everything ready, cut the pipes, add a shut off, and slam everything in to place as fast as possible with Shark Bites.

He cuts it, we get sprayed, we get it all put together, and realize the shut off he was planning on adding was sitting on the ground and not attached to the pipes. So we do it all again, get soaked again, but this time he managed to put the shut off in place.

Same thing as you experienced though. When the pipe was wide open it just came out like a strong hose. As soon as we tried to put stuff in place it sprayed like crazy. We were both soaked head to toe.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

TrueChaos posted:

The absolute worst part? I'm an engineer who deals with piping systems all the damned time, and in a previous job one of my duties was testing the systems I'd designed and the shop built. One of my biggest complaints? Shop guys missing a glue joint resulting in me taking a shower while testing. I know better.

Should've added unions for maintenance!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

It’s nice to have landscaping features like that as winter approaches, provides fall interest.

I see you.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TrueChaos posted:

Makes me feel better about the time I was replacing a backflow preventer only to have the downstream Y-fitting come unglued so I had to solvent weld it back together before either sump pump would work. I basically made the same face Doc Brown did when he was hanging from the clocktower and yanked the electrical cable apart.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Darchangel posted:

LOL, nothing like being your own "previous owner".

Live long enough...

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

That is amazing. I may have told a similar story before where my dad and I helped out a family friend by installing a new water heater for her. There was no water shut off between her well and the water heater. It was an old rear end pump as well and they didn’t want to risk cutting power to it because it was already having issues with losing its prime. So, in my father’s infinite wisdom he decided he would get everything ready, cut the pipes, add a shut off, and slam everything in to place as fast as possible with Shark Bites.

He cuts it, we get sprayed, we get it all put together, and realize the shut off he was planning on adding was sitting on the ground and not attached to the pipes. So we do it all again, get soaked again, but this time he managed to put the shut off in place.

Same thing as you experienced though. When the pipe was wide open it just came out like a strong hose. As soon as we tried to put stuff in place it sprayed like crazy. We were both soaked head to toe.

Cat Hatter posted:

Makes me feel better about the time I was replacing a backflow preventer only to have the downstream Y-fitting come unglued so I had to solvent weld it back together before either sump pump would work. I basically made the same face Doc Brown did when he was hanging from the clocktower and yanked the electrical cable apart.

Nice to know I'm not the only idiot who's attempted stupid stuff like this.

slurm posted:

Should've added unions for maintenance!

Never mind the 2 rubber couplers (just after the elbow in question, and on the pump discharge) that I could have used...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
POV: you are my exasperated father.

Yes, I will be calling a structural engineer this week.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
More crapper construction.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

kid sinister posted:

More crapper construction.

My apartment has a similar but one-piece vanity that extends over the toilet tank like this. No the tank lid doesn't come off. Well planned.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

POV: you are my exasperated father.

Yes, I will be calling a structural engineer this week.

What is this photo of?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

What is this photo of?

It’s the room with the Stupid Newbie door.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I think I posted in this thread about my stupid back room, which the previous previous owner built a over a patio instead of a proper foundation. It was falling off the house, so I paid $3500 this spring to get it piered under the far end to hold up the frame.

Pictured: my stupid back room

Well, now it's falling off in a NEW way: the ground underneath the patio is sinking, so now I have to pay probably another $3500 to get it foamjacked or something because look at this bullshit. I loving HEARD this crack from the other room while I was working.

Pictured: something else I will probably have to pay an additional $3500 to fix once everything is stabilized. Also, I think a snake came in through this gap.

Bonus if anyone recognizes the logo on my leggings.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Somewhere in Utah

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
35 floor building in Dubai has a cladding fire

https://old.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/yoe7s8/dubai_35_story_hirise_on_fire_building_belongs_to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

This only works in metric. Thankfully I speak both.
(BTW, I love the custom buttons in the forum that came from. Particularly the "quote" button being "plagiarize".)