Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I also like the anime board even though I feel like a poser for not having enough time to watch lots of anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

there's lots of fun threads to post in on this website and I have a good time doing that

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

aw frig aw dang it posted:

there's lots of fun threads to post in on this website and I have a good time doing that

Power User

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like that whenever I pick up a lovely mmo or something I can just join a goon guild and have people tell me exactly what to do and give me free money

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I really want to believe every "see below" punishment above the anime spoiler probe are also for anime spoilers.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I checked out Mastodon a few years ago but didn't even get far enough to make an account because everything I read about Mastodon seemed dumb as gently caress.

If I truly find a reason to leave twitter I will not look for a replacement. It'd be like trading a turd for an open source turd and at that point you might as well just not.

Mastodon and the rest of the "fediverse" (loving terrible name) stuff is neat and could potentially be implemented and managed in a really cool way that is a positive for the internet but its probably just gonna keep sucking.

Also all of the platforms are super anti-twitter integration because it would compromise their open source values and lol that's literally the only way its ever gonna happen. Like you say, people are on twitter because that's where it is. If you could get what you need from twitter without being as on twitter, that's a much easier sell. Then you get some big names moving over and at some point hey you actually have enough people on your poo poo that maybe you can pull the plug.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's really funny that now that 1 unaccountable rich dude has sold Twitter to another unaccountable rich dude it's now Bad and to be avoided lol. hey dipshits the entire internet is owned by people like that. this website is owned by one!!! well, rich compared to me, anyway

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Larry Parrish posted:

i think it's really funny that now that 1 unaccountable rich dude has sold Twitter to another unaccountable rich dude it's now Bad and to be avoided lol. hey dipshits the entire internet is owned by people like that. this website is owned by one!!! well, rich compared to me, anyway

Actually, that ‘Rich’ dude is dead. Now it’s a Jeff.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Thanks to Elon I can now get a checkmark for only 20 dollars a month to verify that this is the genuine Mr igsen twitter account.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Larry Parrish posted:

i think it is good for people to get pushed to more fun open source and safer alternatives even if the reason is dumb as poo poo

still waiting to hear if the mastodon-doesn't--encrypt-jack-or-poo poo stuff is true though 😬

e: also im pretty sure jeffrey is close to a billionaire thanks to his bitcoin riches

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ppl who care too much about Twitter should be pushed into labor camps where they can learn how to interact with human beings again, imo, and not a new venue for their bad posting addiction

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

haha what posted:

i watched spirited away in english this morning

it owned

Legitimately one of the best movies ever. Anyone who disagrees can be safely disregarded

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

some plague rats posted:

Legitimately one of the best movies ever. Anyone who disagrees can be safely disregarded

who did you piss off lmao

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Waifu Radia posted:

i think it is good for people to get pushed to more fun open source and safer alternatives even if the reason is dumb as poo poo

still waiting to hear if the mastodon-doesn't--encrypt-jack-or-poo poo stuff is true though 😬

e: also im pretty sure jeffrey is close to a billionaire thanks to his bitcoin riches

I found this from somebody writing some software about it https://dev.to/tanker/taking-mastodon-security-to-the-next-level-part-1-encrypt-your-toots-2p00

I guess the instance admin can query the database to see PMs and stuff like that, which is not great

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I also like the anime board even though I feel like a poser for not having enough time to watch lots of anime

i promise you a lot of adtrw is also casual viewers, who dont keep up with seasonals much at all. all anime and manga enjoyers are welcome there if they post with a pure heart

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waifu Radia posted:

who did you piss off lmao

It was from this thread so basically you can throw a brick and hit some dork malding

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

yes but that said, i do think removing twitter embeds could only help the site

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

[Morpheus voice] show me

some plague rats posted:

[me thinking about anything at all]: oh my god. lunch is living RENT FREE in my HEAD

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i promise you a lot of adtrw is also casual viewers, who dont keep up with seasonals much at all. all anime and manga enjoyers are welcome there if they post with a pure heart

I am mainly just a weeb op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

This

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The forums got exponentially worse after Twitter embeds happened

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh absolutely it should be killed immediately, there's so many loving threads on this dumbass website that's just a bunch of idiots Twitter feed. or sometimes their own tweets. it's just we should kill it for encouraging bad posting and not because we pretend to care who owns Twitter

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmfao

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I can see that QCS is popping

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

qnqnx posted:

I can see that QCS is popping

it's extremely bad to read, fair warning

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Larry Parrish posted:

oh absolutely it should be killed immediately, there's so many loving threads on this dumbass website that's just a bunch of idiots Twitter feed. or sometimes their own tweets. it's just we should kill it for encouraging bad posting and not because we pretend to care who owns Twitter

This basically. I am very tired of 2/3 of this website being "what's happening on Twitter"

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Glad that spr got whacked but not all the losers using the end the drama thread as a venue to ratchet their up another level

Goons lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

sometimes people post funny tweets tho. that said i agree that nobody should be posting news tweets unless its like 'this game is coming out in february'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The most illegal thing on earth should be posting a YouTube essay as an argument

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The most illegal thing on earth should be posting a YouTube essay

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The most illegal thing on earth should be posting a YouTube essay as an argument

This is God's own truth.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Waifu Radia posted:

no e2e encryption, there are some workarounds and its being 'looked at'. I don't know if you want to read a bunch of tech stuff and code by people who aren't writers but
https://blog.soykaf.com/post/encryption/ here's a dev from one of the alternate platforms (Pleroma specifically) talking about the issue
https://gist.github.com/Gargron/ef09c05cd81580b8b9f4597c458bee1b here's an example of somebody trying to implement it for themselves
https://dev.to/tanker/taking-mastodon-security-to-the-next-level-part-1-encrypt-your-toots-2p00 and another one but its from a dev using company's software at a company that since got acquired so who even knows.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

rox
Sep 7, 2016

some plague rats posted:

i had never seen it before and watched it with my boyfriend with our morning coffee

i am heavily inclined to agree, altho recency bias and all that

absolutely adored it

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Endorph posted:

sometimes people post funny tweets tho. that said i agree that nobody should be posting news tweets unless its like 'this game is coming out in february'

mecha ritz: steel rondo is getting an enhanced port to switch tomorrow, and current owners of the game on steam get the updates for free as well. thats a good news tweet that i would share if i posted in threads where it was relevant news

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

the handful of genuinely funny vids ive seen crossposted from there still doesnt justify the widespread substitution other ppl’s Totally Epic tweets for making your own interesting or funny post and actually contributing to discussion imo.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Endorph posted: