Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Game Stops all over the country are selling out of Nascar 2005 as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

mearn posted:

Rather than another rule with gray areas like the yellow line and locking bumpers, if they wanna discourage that from happening again, do something to the track to make it not-an-advantage to do that.

Not saying they should change anything at all, that was cool, and it'll be funny to watch ten Xfinity drivers try to replicate it unsuccessfully in the spring, I'd just rather not see another judgment-call rule in the books

Put a catch on the wall so if you try it you get snagged like Mike Harmon at Bristol.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Wait wait wait, Larson tried this last year? But now "it's an embarrassment to the sport" ??? Holy poo poo gently caress OFF

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Wasn't it the Chili Bowl one year where he had a flat right rear and tried the exact same thing?

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

camoseven posted:

Wait wait wait, Larson tried this last year? But now "it's an embarrassment to the sport" ??? Holy poo poo gently caress OFF

a rare L

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

my favorite hater is logano, a man who simply wrecks whoever is in front of him as soon as the white flag is in the air

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

you have to ban the move but frankly i think "i did something so rad that nascar had to make it illegal" is a pretty kickass feather in ross's cap

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I don’t even follow this sport, but that guys balls must be swinging like a bell clapper

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The team needs to put that car under wraps because it's gonna be worth a lot of money.

At least put it in a museum, don't repair the drat thing lol

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

your friend wicka posted:

It's gonna ban itself the moment someone else tries it and it doesn't work
I think that'll be the real solution is that somebody might try that again and something like that turn 4 access gate is going to Michael Waltrip at Bristol their car open and they won't even need a rule.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well it wouldn't even work on most tracks anyway. Any speedway, superspeedway, and obviously road courses it's not gonna work.

That leaves the short tracks. At Martinsville it seems to work very well lol. I don't think it would very effective at Bristol because of the banking, and that leaves Richmond which is a possibility but also has enough banking that could make it difficult.

Maybe it will just be a Martinsville rule until someone tries it at another track :v:

All joking aside tho, I wouldn't be surprised if NASCAR bans it completely before the next race.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you could probably just blanket ban intentionally crashing yourself. already kinda precedent for it though the other cases I know of involve teammates intentionally spinning or stopping to bring out a yellow

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

mischief posted:

Man, that stunt really brought out all the debbie downers in NASCAR comment sections.

Love all the commenters claiming how dangerous and reckless the move was. I'm sure all those fans make sure to not watch Daytona and Dega for the same reasons. Imagine not being able to enjoy that Ross did the most ridiculous thing possible and somehow executed it perfectly.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I would really, really, really like to see live video of race control when he nosed that thing in there in fifth with the pedal in the firewall.

That's some once in a lifetime poo poo.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Some of the angles from the stands look crazy fast like he was shot out of a cannon

Also the reactions of Jr and Burton at the end are gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3yNc5EasW8

This one shows the most damning evidence that NASCAR is going to ban it. No way they let it slide after seeing all those fans hootin and hollering and going nuts having a great time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

and that leaves Richmond which is a possibility but also has enough banking that could make it difficult.

jerry nadeau already tried it at richmond it did not work

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

... dawg he was clinically dead and they only put in SAFER barriers in one of many places they was corner-cuttin' because of that

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Crossposting from the Simpsons Meme thread:

https://i.imgur.com/XHr2RGu.mp4

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

:staredog: jeeeeeeez

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
so if you dont care about the consequences do you use this ONE NEAT TRICK to set a pole time at Martinsville that will never be beaten?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

so if you dont care about the consequences do you use this ONE NEAT TRICK to set a pole time at Martinsville that will never be beaten?

I’m curious if a car can sustain it twice in a row

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'll just be waiting for the gate to fail and someone to Mikey @ Bristol it trying that poo poo again.

It was amazing, and I'm still loving laughing about it, but there's no way that becomes "a thing" surely. Even DBC was pretty split on it. It was loving awesome but surely 99% of attempts that ends poorly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/KellyCrandall/status/1587587941001564164?t=2vGnuqRJt4-PgtQWl7xpjw&s=19

I'm intrigued as to how this goes. I'm sure it will be fine.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 2, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Would love to see the list of can't-ask-abouts

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

GD_American posted:

I’m curious if a car can sustain it twice in a row

Maybe if nothing catastrophically broke, but idk if you could keep the speed up all the way around the track while you're glued to the wall. Somebody should try it for science.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
the reason why it owns is bc it's so exceptionally hard to pull off

can't just be doing it at every short track even

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Isn't there usually some rules on changing / repairing the car between qualifying and the race? He wasn't able to keep the car off the wall into turn 1 & 2 after the wall ride, seems pretty likely the car was totally hosed after 1 ride.

Also though, it's for sure going to get banned in the future, no way Nascar wants drivers intentionally going full send into the walls with 2 drivers sitting out with injuries already.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

You’d have to start at the rear either due to the repairs or going to a backup car entirely, but you’d have your name in the record books forever like Bill Elliott at Talladega.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

He wasn't able to keep the car off the wall into turn 1 & 2 after the wall ride, seems pretty likely the car was totally hosed after 1 ride.

His spotter told him to do that. I'd like to see how messed up the car is under the body panels.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Salami Surgeon posted:

His spotter told him to do that. I'd like to see how messed up the car is under the body panels.

He said it's destroyed and he had no breaks after the finish line. I would like to see pictures!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Jordan_Bianchi/status/1587953896562966528?t=fcf37Z1FcM4CMuOU8isrqg&s=19

It seems like every headline this season has been something out of a fever dream.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

That’s really awesome

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I haven't followed NASCAR, well, ever. Sometimes I like to watch rednecks beat the poo poo out of their race cars at local dirt tracks and I raced ovals on iRacing like a decade ago, so I figure I am pretty much an expert.

Is there somewhere a person can get a high level breakdown of the different drivers and teams? I need someone to root for when I watch a competition and I am looking for an interesting mid pack underdog that might be fun to learn more about.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hekk posted:

Is there somewhere a person can get a high level breakdown of the different drivers and teams? I need someone to root for when I watch a competition and I am looking for an interesting mid pack underdog that might be fun to learn more about.

I may edit this with a more detailed breakdown of the teams and drivers later, but Trackhouse Racing and Petty-GMS Racing are your best bets for underdogs, though Trackhouse has gone from backmarker to contender in no time flat. Petty-GMS would be your true "midpack-with-potential" team to hop on board with, with Kaulig Racing another good option next year.

e-
Trackhouse (#1, 91 (part-time car for drivers wanting to dip their toe in the pool), 99)- https://www.trackhouse.com/
Petty-GMS (#42, 43, rumored third car for Jimmie Johnson)- https://www.pettygms.com/
Kaulig- (#16, 31 Cup; #10, 11, 16 Xfinity) https://www.kauligracing.com/

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 3, 2022

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I root for Suarez and Wallace :)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hekk posted:

I haven't followed NASCAR, well, ever. Sometimes I like to watch rednecks beat the poo poo out of their race cars at local dirt tracks and I raced ovals on iRacing like a decade ago, so I figure I am pretty much an expert.

just watch the races and someone will stick out to you eventually

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CBJSprague24 posted:

I may edit this with a more detailed breakdown of the teams and drivers later, but Trackhouse Racing and Petty-GMS Racing are your best bets for underdogs, though Trackhouse has gone from backmarker to contender in no time flat. Petty-GMS would be your true "midpack-with-potential" team to hop on board with, with Kaulig Racing another good option next year.

e-
Trackhouse (#1, 91 (part-time car for drivers wanting to dip their toe in the pool), 99)- https://www.trackhouse.com/
Petty-GMS (#42, 43, rumored third car for Jimmie Johnson)- https://www.pettygms.com/
Kaulig- (#16, 31 Cup; #10, 11, 16 Xfinity) https://www.kauligracing.com/

Thanks for this. Trackhouse looks kind of cool. I will do some digging ahead of the next race to see what I can learn.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
trackhouse is the home of daniel suarez*, the absolute coolest dude in cup, and ross chastain who is possibly the most aggressive driver in cup, which is saying a lot because well, NASCAR. ross farms watermelons. trackhouse is co-owned by mr. worldwide (dale) and they frequently take race cars to schools to talk to kids about how cool engineering is. the one time they ran a third car it was kimi raikkonen driving. there's literally nobody near them when it comes to coolest dudes in the game.

but more important than that you should root for 'not chase elliott' at all times

*please do not investigate connection to max verstappen

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

All the Chevys are good and the other teams not so much imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

mearn posted:

All the Chevys are good and the other teams not so much imo