Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
edit: since it's a snipe and all

bull3964 posted:

I mean, Bob's Burgers is still trucking along at the same high quality so it's not totally alone.

Admittedly I never really understood the appeal of Bob's Burgers. I've seen a couple of episodes (of course I don't remember which ones anymore), and they were fine, but nothing to really write home about. It kind of reminded me of late-stage Parks & Rec, just kind of dull with unsatisfying conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The_Doctor posted:

That reminds me, I still haven’t seen an SS86 Sludge out in the wild yet.

I don't think they'll have Transformers on American Dad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Medullah posted:

Lol oops

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: since it's a snipe and all

Admittedly I never really understood the appeal of Bob's Burgers. I've seen a couple of episodes (of course I don't remember which ones anymore), and they were fine, but nothing to really write home about. It kind of reminded me of late-stage Parks & Rec, just kind of dull with unsatisfying conclusions.
Bob's Burgers is an overall good show, but sometimes has dud eps where the characters and concept are spinning its wheels around dealing with someone being terminally annoying for the sake of the episode having conflict, and I think it's more geared towards being something that could ostensibly be viewed by kids as their first real animated sitcom that isn't The Simpsons.

I think The Great North is kind of like the American Dad of Bob's Burgers, and that sounds stupid, but I hope it makes some kind of sense in context here.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
Not to derail too much longer on Bob's Burgers but I did recently read that around season 4 or 5 Loren Bouchard decided to tone down the adult humor and focus more on family friendly stuff for the show. That's why in earlier seasons there's dildos and Tori Amos doppelgangers singing about their vaginas and now a days there's not.

I wasn't sold on the show until I realized its a colab from both Jim Dauterive and Loren Bouchard, like a Home Movie/King of the Hill love child. I mean Teddy is essentially Bill. All that will be on the pop quiz later on, Dadders!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Not another pop quiz! I still haven’t gotten little glasses guy’s name down yet!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
It was an amazing episode. My wife who was half asleep when I was watching it, asked why there was a warlock all of the sudden and the answer can only be genuine

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RugClockVexx posted:

Not to derail too much longer on Bob's Burgers but I did recently read that around season 4 or 5 Loren Bouchard decided to tone down the adult humor and focus more on family friendly stuff for the show. That's why in earlier seasons there's dildos and Tori Amos doppelgangers singing about their vaginas and now a days there's not.

I wasn't sold on the show until I realized its a colab from both Jim Dauterive and Loren Bouchard, like a Home Movie/King of the Hill love child. I mean Teddy is essentially Bill. All that will be on the pop quiz later on, Dadders!

Which in my opinion was a mistake, it got toned down too much, it's got no edge at all anymore

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Yeah, I didn't mind it as the other Sunday night show in the early seasons, but just fell off at some point. Every time I've randomly caught Bob's Burgers since then, it's been more annoying than funny.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neeksy posted:

I think The Great North is kind of like the American Dad of Bob's Burgers, and that sounds stupid, but I hope it makes some kind of sense in context here.

I get that it’s a similarly designed show without being a spin-off, but I think that’s doing AD a massive injustice. Great North is still not quite there as a show. It’s fine, but there’s no edge, and often very little humour. Somehow it’s not been cancelled yet?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Medullah posted:

Yeah! We're not children anymore! Gobots only! :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 3, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Medullah posted:

Transchangers

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

The_Doctor posted:

I get that it’s a similarly designed show without being a spin-off, but I think that’s doing AD a massive injustice. Great North is still not quite there as a show. It’s fine, but there’s no edge, and often very little humour. Somehow it’s not been cancelled yet?

It's doing quite well, got renewed for 2 more seasons and the creators even have a development deal.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

American Dad rules because it's very bizarre humor in this very specific tone and it just wholeheartedly commits to it 100 percent. The fact that they're still consistently threading that needle this far into the show is insane.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neeksy posted:

It's doing quite well, got renewed for 2 more seasons and the creators even have a development deal.

Really? It's so bland, I guess it found an audience though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

robot roll call posted:

The fact that they're still consistently threading that needle this far into the show is insane.

I can't count how many times they've gone to the Stan being pathetic/stubborn well but they've somehow kept it fresh every time in my eyes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FireWorksWell posted:

I can't count how many times they've gone to the Stan being pathetic/stubborn well but they've somehow kept it fresh every time in my eyes.

I couldn't decide whether to post:

"That's where I used to sleep in my car until a judge and I came to a mutual agreement that Francine be rewarded that car and I remain 80 yards away at all times."

Or

"I was busy being awesome, eating really expensive cookies whenever I want, swimming in all the oceans, and not having any parasites."

So I posted both.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Medullah posted:

Steve dressed up as Optimus Prime one Halloween

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Davros1 posted:

Steve dressed up as Optimus Prime one Halloween

THAT WAS A GOBOT! :argh:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It was Chris over in Family Guy who dressed up as Optimus Prime for Halloween

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://archive.ph/Mychp

quote:

Warner Bros. Discovery Marriage Hurt by High Debt, Low Morale

Showing that there are no sacred cows, senior executives who oversee the TBS channel were asked by Discovery executives if they could get out of a two-year contract for the animated program “American Dad!,” which is made by Walt Disney Co.

, according to people familiar with the matter. The plan didn’t go forward.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, that answers two questions. If the seasons will be made and if they will be the last.

Hopefully Hulu picks it up afterwards.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

So Disney is holding them to continue to air the show for two seasons, and then Warner-Discovery likely stops, leaving the show without a network, unless Disney throws it on a streamer?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’ll almost certainly put it on Hulu, which Disney also own.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nichael posted:

So Disney is holding them to continue to air the show for two seasons, and then Warner-Discovery likely stops, leaving the show without a network, unless Disney throws it on a streamer?

On a show this long running it was probably a "play or pay" deal where WB had no way out.

As for after that... who knows? Disney is building a little bit of an adult animation collection on Hulu so they might see AD as a good property to draw the established fans into new stuff too.

Or they could finally retire it and just serve up the existing episodes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They are holding them to their financial obligation of two more seasons.

Will those air on TBS? Who knows. They'll be made, where they finally end up is a big question. They could make them and shelve them, hoping to sell them off to someone else. They could air on Adult Swim instead of TBS. They could try to sell them back to Disney.

So, they will be made and hopefully we'll be able to see them someday. If Adult Swim didn't exist, I would say that they were more likely to try to shelve and sell since TBS doesn't seem like the right home for them anymore.

I do think regardless, it's probably going to be a larger gap than normal to see these last two seasons as they try to figure out how to extract maximum revenue from their airing. I just hope that the ball gets rolling on a transition to somewhere else prior to these two seasons getting completed or it will be an even larger gap, if ever, before the show comes back.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nichael posted:

You're forgetting that after another two years of this poo poo, Warner-Discovery will be like Familyland during lockdown: broken down into a collection of violent fiefdoms that threaten even Zaslav (who remains locked away at home, trying to film a reality show based on his apathetic wife, who remains locked away at home for fear of the violent fiefdoms).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

bull3964 posted:

They are holding them to their financial obligation of two more seasons.

Will those air on TBS? Who knows. They'll be made, where they finally end up is a big question. They could make them and shelve them, hoping to sell them off to someone else. They could air on Adult Swim instead of TBS. They could try to sell them back to Disney.

So, they will be made and hopefully we'll be able to see them someday. If Adult Swim didn't exist, I would say that they were more likely to try to shelve and sell since TBS doesn't seem like the right home for them anymore.

I do think regardless, it's probably going to be a larger gap than normal to see these last two seasons as they try to figure out how to extract maximum revenue from their airing. I just hope that the ball gets rolling on a transition to somewhere else prior to these two seasons getting completed or it will be an even larger gap, if ever, before the show comes back.

They are going to be 20 years worth of anniversary specials

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

We'll finally get to see all those holidays The Colonel attended!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Goddamn it, Zaslav really hates animation. Here's hoping Disney is interested in making more, since apparently they already own in? But if they own it why is Warner Bros making decisions about it? Companies don't make sense anymore.....

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Because distributors and production companies are two different things.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I do kind of wonder what Zazslav's trauma with animation is. Like, he seems to actively hate it beyond his capitalism brain.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

bull3964 posted:

Because distributors and production companies are two different things.

So there's no possible way it can be turned into a tax write off by Zazslav? Because he's done that to a LOT of animated shows lately. That dude is single handedly creating a cartoon dark age.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

limp_cheese posted:

We'll finally get to see all those holidays The Colonel attended!

Going with the coooolonel, being safe with the coooolonel...

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Going with the coooolonel, being safe with the coooolonel...

What's wrong boy, scared I didn't bring enough knives? Because I brought extra! :doit:

That entire episode is great. An honorable mention to Greg's monolauge before he died where he kept putting off saying who the killer is.

The Colonel is one of those characters I wanted to keep on coming back but I'm content with having him die for the jokes.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So there's no possible way it can be turned into a tax write off by Zazslav? Because he's done that to a LOT of animated shows lately. That dude is single handedly creating a cartoon dark age.

Those were all shows produced by Warner.

Disney makes American Dad. Warner just pays for the rights to air it on TBS and Adult Swim. If they wanted to stop airing it they could but they wouldn't have any tax write-off to take since they don't make it. It likely costs less to keep airing it than any cancelation fees they would owe Disney.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha
https://twitter.com/americandadtbs/status/1588541931449044993

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

was trying to figure out what this is, Roku Channel Weird al documentary, it's free. I assume American Dad gets a mention with Rabbitage or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3kN1eHjyjM

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

RugClockVexx posted:

I have a much easier time stomaching Bill than I do Teddy. Teddy is too real. I know a Teddy. I cannot abide Teddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

I do kind of wonder what Zazslav's trauma with animation is. Like, he seems to actively hate it beyond his capitalism brain.

you can't produce it on the cheap by locking weirdos in a room full of gopros