Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

The card doesn't seem good enough on its own and it has to have a drawback?

This card is gonna be a big bomb. I’ll happily swing my 8/8 trample that I got in on t5 because of powerstones into whatever board my opponent has and blow up their best permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

kalel posted:

wonder how the arena auto tapper is going to handle casting that

At a guess, as a kicker where it splays out the three modes and lights up what you have access to with tick counters likebfor damage.

Oooor you get a 5/4 and mysteriously take 3 from painlands.

I think it depends on how tight you're gripping the phone/mouse

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kashuno posted:

This card is gonna be a big bomb. I’ll happily swing my 8/8 trample that I got in on t5 because of powerstones into whatever board my opponent has and blow up their best permanent.
Agree with you. You can cast 8 mana spells in Standard especially if you're making powerstones and treasures. Also there are going to be alot of decks that can't use the power stones you give them at all.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I feel like more than most cards, this being not a crazy card shows how bonkers Magic has become. It's strictly better than one of the best cards of its era that feels aggressively costed for even a modern archetype and people are talking like it won't see play

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sega 32X posted:

I feel like more than most cards, this being not a crazy card shows how bonkers Magic has become. It's strictly better than one of the best cards of its era that feels aggressively costed for even a modern archetype and people are talking like it won't see play

It's arguably not even the best 2 drop for black aggro decks in this set (the 3/1 artifact that comes back for BB)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sega 32X posted:

card evaluation before a set is always a crapshoot + people tend to be less hot on powerful, not-flashy cards vs cards that seem like they could do a ton but don't get there

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Replace opponents' death with exile is a very annoying effect.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sega 32X posted:

This will see play. I think it's decent.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sega 32X posted:

I think it's as much about the change in gameplay patterns as the raw power level. Older magic used to be a lot more focused on material denial and low resource games where players ran out of cards to play, while the current design philosophy seems to be that it's more fun to have more options to decide between later in the game. Now there are usually more things to spend your mana on.

It will also probably see some play.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 3, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it'll see play, and it's decent, but it's not so much a shift in power level as the fact that players are spoiled now and if a creature didn't do 3 things and draw you a card when it hit the board, it's mediocre

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Worth noting that the pump being colorless means you can use powerstones for it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This might be a hosed up take but I think that 5/5 for 5 green mythic would've been mediocre even if it came down as a 15/15 immediately

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I also think that 8/8 artifact is going to be a very strong and annoying Karnboard target and an on-demand Ulamog might push it over the top in a lot of formats

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

This might be a hosed up take but I think that 5/5 for 5 green mythic would've been mediocre even if it came down as a 15/15 immediately

The token has haste, and I think a five mana 15/15 haste might see play. As is, I think you need some way to recur it to make it constructed playable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

snyprmag posted:

The token has haste, and I think a five mana 15/15 haste might see play. As is, I think you need some way to recur it to make it constructed playable.

For genuine haste instead of haste* it's 10 mana, if the early body were just a little tougher like a 3/3 or a 2/4 it might have a shot but I just don't see it especially when it gets hosed all day by probably the best 2 drop in the format right now

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

For genuine haste instead of haste* it's 10 mana, if the early body were just a little tougher like a 3/3 or a 2/4 it might have a shot but I just don't see it especially when it gets hosed all day by probably the best 2 drop in the format right now

Which two drop hoses it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

snyprmag posted:

Which two drop hoses it?

It really does not seem like a fan of Tenacious Underdog at all since they trade at 2 mana

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How are people feeling about Brothers War? I’ve been thinking about getting a collector box because of nostalgia for 90’s Magic, and the Transformers cards.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 3, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i think the prototype creature was shown already but too lazy to check.

Over the Top - 5RR

Sorcery (Rare)

Each player reveals cards from the top of their library equal to the number of nonland permanents they control, puts all permanent cards they revealed this way on the battlefield, and puts the rest in their graveyard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love this set so much, you guys can't make me not love it.

Wizards predatory bullshit can, but you can't!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
did they really translate over the top as 'exaggeration'

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Probably did it based on the name alone

Maro posted:

We were working with a new artist and we sent them the art description "This spell generates a lightning bolt. Show it hitting a drake." In fantasy, a drake is a smaller form of a dragon, but the artist was unfamiliar with the term, so instead he turned in artwork of a lightning bolt hitting a male duck—you know, a drake.

Sort of sad we were robbed of duckbolt.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Bolt the Bird!!!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

4RG

Creature Wurm

Trample

Whenever a land enters the battlefield, create a tapped Powerstone token.

7/6

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I haven't been keeping that close an eye on it, but this feels like the powerstone pay off that you'll play in limited when you can't find the better ones.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
5 mana 6/6 trample generally puts in work.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Strong Sauce posted:

4RG

Creature Wurm

Trample

7/6

Lotus Cobra's big mean cousin.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Strong Sauce posted:

4RG

Creature Wurm

Trample

7/6

this is so weak wtf

make it say "your countrol" and it would be a meh common

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Goa Tse-tung posted:

this is so weak wtf

make it say "your countrol" and it would be a meh common

It's a commander card, you play it down and get like six powerstones as everyone else around the table keeps playing land.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm excited about Spider the Old Gods. golgari value town stopped being a good standard deck when Deadly Dispute and Binding rotated, let's get back in there. it also gets the gently caress into my Abzan Reanimator deck, with Spirit Sisters Call :getin:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Somberbrero posted:

Two-Headed Giant is a lot of fun if you have a buddy to come with you, otherwise YMMV. Sealed prerelease events are a ton of fun, it's my favorite time to play magic. Sealed is typically 6 packs and a stamped rare promo to build with, far less decision making compared to draft. It helps to read up on cards/archetypes before release, there will be a bunch of different guides available. I like Lords of Limited. Like with draft it's nice to bring your own lands but otherwise there's not much special you'll need to know, some places preregister for drafts but that's rare.

Wasn't sure my buddy was going to be in town, but worked it out and I'm signed up for the Two-Headed Giant event for the prerelease weekend. I learned about the format, sounds straightforward enough, like "each opponent" is at least twice as good. The local place has a land station out and I'll buy fresh sleeves.

I've never done sealed before, from what I understand it's more rare-heavy than draft. 2HG means we're building 2 decks from 12 packs, seems like that would make it easier to coordinate colors and get better cards than a single deck from 6 packs. And pre-release means I won't have a chance to practice BRO on Arena? I get confused with all the pre- modifiers.

I've seen a bunch of individual card spoilers but nothing that really ties things together into archetypes. I'll check out that podcast, thanks!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JawnV6 posted:

Wasn't sure my buddy was going to be in town, but worked it out and I'm signed up for the Two-Headed Giant event for the prerelease weekend. I learned about the format, sounds straightforward enough, like "each opponent" is at least twice as good. The local place has a land station out and I'll buy fresh sleeves.

I've never done sealed before, from what I understand it's more rare-heavy than draft. 2HG means we're building 2 decks from 12 packs, seems like that would make it easier to coordinate colors and get better cards than a single deck from 6 packs. And pre-release means I won't have a chance to practice BRO on Arena? I get confused with all the pre- modifiers.

I've seen a bunch of individual card spoilers but nothing that really ties things together into archetypes. I'll check out that podcast, thanks!

Prerelease has shifted around a bit recently, it used to be that sets would come out of on Arena before the prerelease, but they've been experimenting recently and BRO prerelease is before Arena this time.

Either way, the prerelease is usually a sneak preview before the set is released for sale, though this set they're also letting you buy product the same weekend at participating stores.

Archetypes are still being fleshed out because we are don't know the entire set, but they have the theoretical colour pair archetypes on the Brother's War product page:

Soldier UW : Overwhelm your opponent on the ground and in the skies.

Scrappy Swarm WB : Creatures with mana value three or less offer more than you might expect.

Draw Power BU: Draw a multitude of cards from your deck to strengthen your creatures!

Prowess Aggro UR : Use cheap artifacts, instants, and sorcery spells to press their advantage.

Artifact Sacrifice RB : Use Powerstones to be sacrificed for more power!

Graveyard Counter BG : Creatures that rely on a populated graveyard will gain power in the late game.

Mechanized Stompy GR : Use Powerstones to deploy your biggest threats and back them up with power-boosting spells.

Unearth Aggro RW : Start your aggression early and the second wave that comes back with unearth may bring you victory.

Artifacts Enter The Battlefield WG : Assemble your creatures and enhance them with artifacts. Then use Powerstones, Soldier tokens and unearthed creatures to power your attack.

Powerstone Ramp GU : Accumulate Powerstones to help build your defense

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/yl74jt/wotc_is_emailing_those_with_multiple_sl_30th/

WOTC is emailing those with multiple SL 30th Anniversary Countdown Kit orders to confirm before shipping. Respond by Nov. 5th, 11:59pm PST.
News
Because of the quagmire that was the Secret Lair 30th Anniversary Countdown Kit, many people reported that they accidentally placed multiple orders (I assume it's only for multiple ORDERS and not a single order with x>1 Kits).

I did (I accidentally ordered a single kit twice) and I got an email today asking if I want to keep them. I know some might be panicking that they ordered more than they wanted and risk having overdraft charges or something similar.

The deadline to respond to them and cancel some of your orders is Nov. 5 (~2 days from now), 11:59pm PST.

Email included in the comments.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Powerstone Ramp GU : Accumulate Powerstones to help build your defense

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wittgen posted:

5 mana 6/6 trample generally puts in work.

This is going to be like a 3rd pick.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

there's a Matrix joke in here somewhere

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

One more for the "I wish this was legendary so it could be my commander" list.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Lone Goat posted:

Either way, the prerelease is usually a sneak preview before the set is released for sale, though this set they're also letting you buy product the same weekend at participating stores.

Archetypes are still being fleshed out because we are don't know the entire set, but they have the theoretical colour pair archetypes on the Brother's War product page:

Awesome, thanks for the list! A few of those sound more like my style, guess I'll see what shows up in the packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

VictualSquid posted:

One more for the "I wish this was legendary so it could be my commander" list.

It's uncommon so it's valid for Pauper Commander!