Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm looking to Marie Kondo my life, so I want to take pictures of stuff I have good memories of.

However, if we get one of those big solar flare thingies that EMPs everything, all those digital photos would be gone. Granted, at first that would be the least of my worries.

Is the solution to print out hundreds of photos? That would take forever just going through them. Should I get a photo printer? Pare them down and use an online printer?

Keep all my stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Put the files on two hard disk drives and store them in fire safes in two separate geographic locations.

A Carrington event won’t touch them in they’re in a metal safe, but you can burn them to Blu Ray discs if you want.

Any form of digital data storage will have to be refreshed periodically, maybe once per decade.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also could look into something like aws s3 glacier as a long-term last resort thing. Doesn't make sense as your primary storage but good as deep backup.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Let me tell you a secret, the photos thing is just a mental trick to allow you to get rid of stuff, you never actually look at the photos of stuff again.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

smackfu posted:

Let me tell you a secret, the photos thing is just a mental trick to allow you to get rid of stuff, you never actually look at the photos of stuff again.

I look at my photos of stuff :shobon:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I use open office and it just plumb does not have a grammar checker. Does anyone know of a decent free, offline text editor with a grammar checker? I just need to double check for non-misspellings like 'commit ed' and change it to 'committed', for example. The 'extensions' suggested by open office itself are 5+ years out of date or have you open document text into a browser. [loud question mark, imo, what a weird way to check grammar?]

And it does have to be offline, I don't always have internet access, rip. One of the open office grammar checkers requires internet access, apparently?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Beachcomber posted:

I'm looking to Marie Kondo my life, so I want to take pictures of stuff I have good memories of.

However, if we get one of those big solar flare thingies that EMPs everything, all those digital photos would be gone. Granted, at first that would be the least of my worries.

Is the solution to print out hundreds of photos? That would take forever just going through them. Should I get a photo printer? Pare them down and use an online printer?

Keep all my stuff?

Put them on different cloud storage servers in different parts of the world, or one that's distributed. If it really bothers you you could even go with several different providers

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Does a faraday cage not protect against damage from solar flares?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also if we have a solar flare large enough to melt your hard drive, the loss of old photos is probably the least of our concerns.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is a person who has HIV but is also on antiretroviral treatment such that it is undetectable still immunocompromised, or is their immune system working as well as anyone else’s due to the treatment?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lawnie posted:

Does a faraday cage not protect against damage from solar flares?

Faraday cages can only protect against relatively low-frequency radiation. The higher the frequency, the less effective it is. For example, they block radio waves but not visible light.
Solar flares produce a mix of all frequencies, so the lower radio wave radiation will be blocked but gamma rays, which are way higher frequency than visible light, will sail right on through.

Badger of Basra posted:

Is a person who has HIV but is also on antiretroviral treatment such that it is undetectable still immunocompromised, or is their immune system working as well as anyone else’s due to the treatment?

With modern treatment an HIV-positive person can basically live a normal life with the virus kept down at undetectable levels to the point where it doesn't affect their immune system and isn't even transmissible.
As long as they keep taking the expensive drugs each month...

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 1, 2022

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Faraday cages can only protect against relatively low-frequency radiation. The higher the frequency, the less effective it is. For example, they block radio waves but not visible light.
Solar flares produce a mix of all frequencies, so the lower radio wave radiation will be blocked but gamma rays, which are way higher frequency than visible light, will sail right on through.

Oh duh, diffraction. Thanks for the reminder!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Wouldn't DVDs also survive a solar flare or EMP? So burn your photos to discs?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm connected to my work machine which is windows, and somehow everything in word disappeared except this. I looked it up and can't figure out how to get back the other menus, and the toolbar that has fonts, colors, etc. please help me i'm stupid

edit: omg tools - edit document, ahhhhhh i'm dumb

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 1, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

lobsterminator posted:

I was going to say "those can degrade over time" but it turns out that's like 50-100 years' time.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

value-brand cereal posted:

I use open office and it just plumb does not have a grammar checker. Does anyone know of a decent free, offline text editor with a grammar checker? I just need to double check for non-misspellings like 'commit ed' and change it to 'committed', for example. The 'extensions' suggested by open office itself are 5+ years out of date or have you open document text into a browser. [loud question mark, imo, what a weird way to check grammar?]

And it does have to be offline, I don't always have internet access, rip. One of the open office grammar checkers requires internet access, apparently?

have you tried libreoffice? it is a fork of openoffice made about a decade ago and tends to have better support and is more actively developed

it probably has a grammar checker you can get as an extension

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

I talked backup strategies with a city archive guy, who had legit reason to be worried about solar flares and all sorts of poo poo. As i remember, DVDs, magnetic tape, disk drives and a few others were all in play because they all had various weaknesses. I think DVDs were good against dollar flares.

But this was a situation with hundreds of years of data to be stored hundreds of years into the future, and with actual significance and a budget. Which is quite unlike pictures of dumb poo poo you're throwing out

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BonHair posted:

I talked backup strategies with a city archive guy, who had legit reason to be worried about solar flares and all sorts of poo poo. As i remember, DVDs, magnetic tape, disk drives and a few others were all in play because they all had various weaknesses. I think DVDs were good against dollar flares.

But this was a situation with hundreds of years of data to be stored hundreds of years into the future, and with actual significance and a budget. Which is quite unlike pictures of dumb poo poo you're throwing out

Yeah, that's more or less what I was thinking. 50-100 years is plenty.

Though, I mean, the far more likely threat is OP's house burning down or flooding or blowing away in a tornado rather than a solar flare devastating all the computers in their country (let alone the world). Whatever media they store it on, it won't survive those scenarios. For that reason, probably just sticking them in Dropbox or similar is realistically going to be the best protection.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Just make sure you keep around a DVD reader that can connect to all future computers

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Long-term data storage is a really hard problem, the best thing to do is either a) let someone else deal with it, like amazon/google, or b) check and redo your backup every 5 years on whatever current technology is. Switch from DVD to blu-ray, or blu-ray to optical cubes, or whatever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a console fortnite thread/private games thread/discord?

There must be more than the two other goons I know that play it, right?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How do we get so many different kinds of cheese from cow's milk?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a fleece jacket I like, but the sleeves are a bit too short. Is there some way to stretch them to be longer, maybe?

ultrafilter posted:

How do we get so many different kinds of cheese from cow's milk?

Different bacteria cultures produce different kinds of waste products when they eat the cheese. Combine that with different storage conditions (temperature and humidity, mostly), and you change the balance of chemicals in the cheese that determine its flavor and texture.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there a console fortnite thread/private games thread/discord?

There must be more than the two other goons I know that play it, right?

there's a thread in videogames

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853386

a bunch of posters in the cspam videogame thread also started playing it recently

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874955

you can try asking in those threads

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
When English people say "mum" are they saying "ma'am" but pronouncing it "mum"? Like when Daniel Craig says "yes mum" to M, is he saying yes ma'am?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dokmo posted:

When English people say "mum" are they saying "ma'am" but pronouncing it "mum"? Like when Daniel Craig says "yes mum" to M, is he saying yes ma'am?

yes the British pronunciation of ma'am sounds like Mom to the English ear. and In Skyfall specifically I think they're playing with that ambiguity on purpose

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

kalel posted:

yes the British pronunciation of ma'am sounds like Mom to the English ear. and In Skyfall specifically I think they're playing with that ambiguity on purpose

It's also alluded to in Quantum of Solace.

Bond: "He tried to kill a friend of mine. A woman. But not like that."
Camille: "Your mother?"
Bond: "She'd like to think so."

Or something like that, I'm paraphrasing

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Follow up question: how dumb was my question, on a scale from that was the dumbest question I ever heard to no actually that comes up quite a bit, many people are confused by the pronunciation.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
At the time I watched the movie I assumed it was a weird British thing and that he was saying "mum."

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I def thought it was a thing that the 00s called her mum (mom) and that they were all orphans raised/trained as children like in MGS.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

dokmo posted:

Follow up question: how dumb was my question, on a scale from that was the dumbest question I ever heard to no actually that comes up quite a bit, many people are confused by the pronunciation.

If it helps, I've wondered the same thing about mum / ma'am. But I'm also pretty dumb so keep that in mind.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

dokmo posted:

When Skyfall came out the James Bond thread in CineD was basically nothing but slap fights over this for multiple weeks, so at least you've got company.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
What does SYQ mean?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The song Restless by Small Parks just came on and I have a really strong feeling that I know it from somewhere. The first line in particular is extremely familiar. I think it must have been used as a theme song on some TV show (or YouTube series or something?) but the band isn't even big enough to have a Wikipedia page and I can't find anything by googling. Anyone else recognise this song and have any idea where I would have heard it originally?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Eason the Fifth posted:

What does SYQ mean?

Source Your Quotes

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Was Michael Jackson bigger than the Beatles?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Baron Porkface posted:

Not by weight or volume. :rimshot:

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Baron Porkface posted:

No. The Beatles sold 1.6-2 billion albums. Jackson sold 750 million.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists makes for interesting reading, though it cites lower numbers for both The Beatles and Michael Jackson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
At work I spend all day driving, after several hours I feel and can smell that im kinda greasy and deodorant doesn't seem to cover it, how do I solve this?