Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I ran into an unusual amount of GM players scoring an unusual amount of G-Maneuvers during my matches last night. I'm not saying anyone is cheating, but is there some new legit strategy or possibly an exploit that's got popular with him? Usually when I see a bunch of people doing the same thing in an online game in a short span, it's a streamer's doing.

Like Kild said you farm ult pretty fast with det pack - either through people being dumb or good placement. The best I've ever done from setting it at the enemy door is like 10 percent but tossing it behind enemies in corridors usually ticks up your G charge quite a bit. He can also 1v1 a good chunk of the cast so you can farm it up clicking heads. I don't know if any streamer with a sizable viewership plays this they all went to OW2 when that dropped and the few people that make content for this game on YouTube mostly play the flashier suits from what I get recommended.

edit: drat I say that and this gets posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cc_saD_2Lo

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tae posted:

GMs are Jims because people recommend watching the Compilation 0079 movies which predate the standard dub, so you have every other word mis-pronounced like Gun-drat, Jab-raoh, Jim, Sha, etc.

With British Bright because his background is technically England

It was also "Jim" in the early-2000s TV dub. Ocean I think? The house Brad Swaile worked for.

Which honestly given the propensity of militaries to give dumb nicknames to things honestly makes it believable. HMMWV becomes "Humvee" in the colloquial. GM becomes "Jim."

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
https://gundamevolution.com/en/news/99

They are adding new levels to the season pass, wonder if it’s just going to be small amounts of suit currency, but I don’t expect bamco to be that smart

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

neosloth posted:

https://gundamevolution.com/en/news/99

They are adding new levels to the season pass, wonder if it’s just going to be small amounts of suit currency, but I don’t expect bamco to be that smart

That's exactly what they need to do and why I doubt they're competent enough to do it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gm stands for gay man which is why you can get a pink skin for them

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

gm stands for gay man which is why you can get a pink skin for them

Honestly that was the little push I needed to deck out a ton of my roster in pink. There's not enough for everyone, and some of them have to settle for "close enough," but I really like my pink bois.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The new Season Pass levels aren't repeatables and not for blue currency, they're just like a dozen more levels worth a ticket each.

Stingy morons just can't abide a f2p or pass-only player from having more than two unlockable suits. They're very clearly not trying to make this game a serious competitor to any other team shooter out there.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hopefully it's just a stopgap til Season 2 and that that introduces something better.

Guess we'll see.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Well shoot. Someone posted a screenshot on reddit of his end-screen, and it's way more vibrant than mine or another guy with an even newer card (both nvidia.) https://i.redd.it/at6vlo27vcx91.jpg

Contrast against mine:

I have a GTX 2060 SUPER, which isn't top of the line but it's not very old either. Guy with a 3070 said his looks like mine, too. Any idea? We're both using Ultra settings. If I could have had this poo poo looking pretty this whole time...

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Pretty sure that's just lighting. Try comparing your end screen on an outdoor map, rather than the menus which don't have any real lighting

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Vizuyos posted:

Pretty sure that's just lighting. Try comparing your end screen on an outdoor map, rather than the menus which don't have any real lighting

Okay yeah I think you're right. The unit menus just don't have a lighting source, which looks like dogshit, but the end-round screens I have do pop quite a bit more.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

During another brief stint into Ranked, because I wanted to maybe get the gold ranking cheevo while the game still has a population, I happened to do pretty well as a Unicorn on Quarry, all told.

But I had a Dozle player on my team who complained a few times in Match Chat about the fact that I wasn't pocketing them and feeding them Armor off cooldown. They claimed I wasn't healing and wasn't using my Armor buff button, which was ridiculous, but they weren't close enough to me to get the benefits from them so he wouldn't know that. I was too busy sticking with the rest of the team and boosting them on pushes. And because they were complaining in Match Chat I also felt the need to reply where the other team could read. So the they had to deal with my one teammate griping and grousing, which would probably have been fine for the other team if they were winning and could appreciate the salt.

But they weren't. They were losing. Pretty decisively. So the entire exchange must've felt absurd.

On attack we won both points with a healthy remainder on time. On defense, we managed to hold B multiple times while I constantly poured heals and armor buffs to my teammates on the point. And I made pretty good use of cover and the medkits around B to have nearly constant uptime on both heals and damage. Meanwhile the Dozle switched to Exia because of how annoyed they were I wasn't pocketing them so they decided to be Genji. And to be fair, the complainer was genuinely rather good at that, racking up a very respectable amount of damage dealt. I'm not going to pretend they were bad or even that their complaints didn't make sense, as a skilled melee suit main with a pocket healer can really gently caress a team up. But I wasn't a Methuss, I was playing Unicorn and in order to get more objective value out of my support functions I made the call to stick with the rest of the team. And it turns out I did so much AOE healing, and buffing, and regular old shooting, that all my kills and heal-assists put my contributions, as far as the game was concerned, a little bit above theirs. I even got a half dozen Beam Magnum kills, which is harder to do when people haven't already spent their dashes but they were getting reliably pressured pretty hard by my teammates around me.

In other words, I wound up stealing the MVP spot from the Dozle/Exia player by healing the bulk of the team and not just pocketing them specifically.

I could've been more graceful and let it be, but I just had to say something when my mvp card came up. I was doing good work and getting publicly shat on by the one person on my team who chose to be out of position to benefit from it and the mvp spot felt like vindication.

Even though, again, they were actually pretty decent at what they were doing. They just didn't care to stick with the healer.

Runa fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 3, 2022

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Game is a lot more fun if you unerringly refer to your G-Maneuver as your "Gangsta Maneuver."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Runa posted:

Even though, again, they were actually pretty decent at what they were doing. They just didn't care to stick with the healer.

An excellent post-game catharsis post that fumbled in the final line by not using the appropriate catchphrase.

Runa posted:

Even so

That said, how has the population been? Has it been declining sharper than average or holding its own?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Warmachine posted:

An excellent post-game catharsis post that fumbled in the final line by not using the appropriate catchphrase.

gently caress

lmao

But yeah the game's player base is pretty small now. Like 2.5k on a weeknight. Still enough people to get a queue in reasonable time but I can't imagine what it's like to try to queue for ranked at play or higher.

Bamco really fumbled the ball

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Warmachine posted:

That said, how has the population been? Has it been declining sharper than average or holding its own?

Hovers around 3000 lately.

I think a good season 2 could see a player base return or some attention from influencers.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
I apparently opened a CAP lootbox at some point so I only get one suit this season :(

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Saraiguma posted:

I apparently opened a CAP lootbox at some point so I only get one suit this season :(

Yup, same. (Though I did buy the season pass so I was able to get a second with coins.) But like... it really feels punitive and hostile for them to do it like that. "That'll teach YOU to use our game features!"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Double post: does casual have MMR

Do we even know that

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Double post: does casual have MMR

Do we even know that

It does not feel like it does. Seems more likely to run into a stomp there than in ranked.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is crashing really as big a problem as people make it out to be? I keep seeing people explaining away leavers as probable crashes, but among my friend group there's been I think one crash since launch. At any rate, I've had five games out of the last six with a disconnect disadvantaging my team. (The last one we actually had two to the opponent's one, but still pulled it out.) I don't know if I'd be more or less satisfied to know it's just the game being unstable.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is crashing really as big a problem as people make it out to be? I keep seeing people explaining away leavers as probable crashes, but among my friend group there's been I think one crash since launch. At any rate, I've had five games out of the last six with a disconnect disadvantaging my team. (The last one we actually had two to the opponent's one, but still pulled it out.) I don't know if I'd be more or less satisfied to know it's just the game being unstable.

Crashes happen fairly often, sometimes it's even the whole team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I find usually it isn't a crash, but a blip in someone's internet connection. This causes the game to kick the user back to desktop (why does it do this??????????) and only rarely are they able to rejoin.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
* on Japan Gundam EVO server
* sees GM Sniper doing amazing
* thinks holy poo poo a good sniper in Japan???
* sees sniper's ping is nearly 40.
* oh

the difference in meta and where skill lies is really quite interesting

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Even setting aside balance and monetization issues with the game, I'm rapidly losing any will to play this game just because the leaver/disconnect problem is so bad. I feel like practically every game one team or the other is down a person.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope the next season breathes some nice life into the game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

Even setting aside balance and monetization issues with the game, I'm rapidly losing any will to play this game just because the leaver/disconnect problem is so bad. I feel like practically every game one team or the other is down a person.

Same. I've had a leaver or disconnect in quite seriously like 10 of my past 12 games. It's just not playable in this state and if they don't fix it soon, there's not gonna be anyone left.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I cannot understate how badly bamco hosed this up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they had a game that people were actually praising as better than ow2 and they gave it basically no support whatsoever

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's a pretty clear example of why any competitive game needs pretty harshly scaling leaver penalties to even function.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Endorph posted:

they had a game that people were actually praising as better than ow2 and they gave it basically no support whatsoever

poo poo it's better than OW was in its prime. Could've had a cash cow on their hands. I'm so into the game that despite not being an anime guy I bought and built a GM gunpla maybe that's where they thought the money was going to come from.

I haven't had that many leaver/disconnect problems in my time playing (though more than there should be) but I do miss the days of dedicated servers instead of having to deal with matchmaking whenever a leaver does show up. 24/7 flak fort baby.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 12, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah the disconnects have steadily gotten worse and worse. Really sucks because I'm still having fun queuing with people and solo'ing has yielded some decent back-and-forth games, but when every other game fails right out of the gate, I end up losing patience

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

It'd be nice if you could tick a box next to casual queue where you won't mind joining games to replace people who leave. I do enjoy the game and hope it doesn't die. They'll never do it and it doesn't work due to no boosters, but I'd probably play overwatch again if they put in a dash system.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Just had a match where someone left after our defense got blown out with two minutes to go, managed our offense a suit down with a minute fifty to go, made it to second bomb 58% on overtime offense, then lost bad to a 6 man deathball on overtime defense.

:negative:

Why do people do this? We could have won. It probably would have been a blowout the other way if we had another body doing literally anything productive.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've had enough people bail just before overtime that I think there are genuinely a lot of people who immediately close out of the game and don't even realize overtime is going to happen.

The one time I played ranked, we had a leaver, but fought like hell with 5 people to a pretty even result after 2 rounds. Then our Unicorn bails and we get crushed on overtime now that we're 4v6.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MuffinsAndPie posted:

It'd be nice if you could tick a box next to casual queue where you won't mind joining games to replace people who leave. I do enjoy the game and hope it doesn't die. They'll never do it and it doesn't work due to no boosters, but I'd probably play overwatch again if they put in a dash system.

Since there's no crossplay I think it's dead as console release won't boost the playerbase for us. It was at 1000 primetime on a Saturday. Really bums me out because it's the one online game I really fell in love with and I wasn't even looking at it until after release because like I said I'm not an anime guy so wasn't into Gundam as a franchise.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 13, 2022

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Since there's no crossplay I think it's dead as console release won't boost the playerbase for us. It was at 1000 primetime on a Saturday. Really bums me out because it's the one online game I really fell in love with and I wasn't even looking at it until after release because like I said I'm not an anime guy so wasn't into Gundam as a franchise.

Have you tried playing on the Japanese Region? Supposedly there are more players there.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Pasha posted:

Have you tried playing on the Japanese Region? Supposedly there are more players there.

There absolutely are. Queue times are super short, even when queuing up for plat and diamond ranks.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Wouldn't the lag be really bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Sometimes I want to quit out before overtime because it makes matches stupidly long. I don't do it but I want the servers to crash.