Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

the proposal I heard was maybe give her projectiles more velocity but significant bullet drop so she's more of a threat up close and less so at range

that would be my long term preference, since a support that's directly incentivized to get up close and personal makes her feel both more unique stylistically and more like a ninja compared to the current kiriko who feels like a stake gun with legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else dropping out after unlocking Kiriko? I mean I'm not playing competitive but the battle pass is just blah.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Doomfist is beyond busted. Just dismally balanced in a bad way.

Things that can knock you out of punch make no sense. Javelin, for instance. That has no business knocking you out of punch, but it can do it FROM BEHIND which is just horseshit. Hitting someone into a wall on an angle won't count as hitting them into a wall, instead, they'll skate like Lucio along the entire edge of the wall and take no extra damage or stun. His seismic strike will just... sometimes fail to kill Symmetra turrets which is also nonsense.

It's like they made every 50/50 call possible as "Go against Doomfist". They really gotta rename him to like, "Paul" or something, because he's just weak sauce

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
imo his rocket punch should be on par with Rein's charge (with a longer cooldown to compensate), he should get his uppercut back instead of his awful block ability, and whenever he activates his big metal arm to do an ability, it should generate temporary shields to allies around him, doing extra shields based on the total damage he deals with that ability. Like an offensive version of Zarya, where being in the thick of things empowers your teammates.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Things that can knock you out of punch make no sense. Javelin, for instance. That has no business knocking you out of punch, but it can do it FROM BEHIND which is just horseshit. Hitting someone into a wall on an angle won't count as hitting them into a wall, instead, they'll skate like Lucio along the entire edge of the wall and take no extra damage or stun. His seismic strike will just... sometimes fail to kill Symmetra turrets which is also nonsense.

It's like they made every 50/50 call possible as "Go against Doomfist". They really gotta rename him to like, "Paul" or something, because he's just weak sauce

This was foretold in that cinematic where a direct hit from his gauntlet killed neither a widowmaker nor an unarmored child at point-blank range

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
They murdered his damage. I went into the practice range against the Tracer dummy, and a full charged punch into the wall still requires you to headshot her two times in order to kill her. TWO TIMES. It's unbelievably bad.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Veryslightlymad posted:

They murdered his damage. I went into the practice range against the Tracer dummy, and a full charged punch into the wall still requires you to headshot her two times in order to kill her. TWO TIMES. It's unbelievably bad.

He can still delete other characters in the span of combos. His big problem (like ball) is that he provides nothing outside of peels to protect the rest of the team in any way. You aren't playing a tank, you are playing a tanky character.

If you are looking at balance purely from damage capabilities, it would probably be more fruitful to nerf the damage of all other tanks than buff the damage on any tank, even Doom. If there was like a 10% damage nerf across the board for all tanks (maybe excluding Doom), it wouldn't even be a bad thing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BabyRyoga posted:

If there was like a 10% damage nerf across the board for all tanks (maybe excluding Doom), it wouldn't even be a bad thing.

They tried nerfing tank damage in OW1 and it made them feel like dogshit to play.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I would like Doomfist if he moved fast during his block instead of slowing to a crawl and if his punch did just a tad more damage

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it feels like doomfist block should eat ana sleep like other absorb abilities but it doesn't

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

comedyblissoption posted:

hanjo is the king poo poo of bullshit kills

Used to be the emperor, back in the Scatter Arrow days.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Kanfy posted:

Used to be the emperor, back in the Scatter Arrow days.

Simple Geometry.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hitting the scatter shot directly underneath a tank and erasing them from life

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I miss Bacon’s dive crew I would watch that more than any esport.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They tried nerfing tank damage in OW1 and it made them feel like dogshit to play.

That's before they buffed the role to be ultra-powerful, though. It's fair to say they overturned it a bit, seeing as how in many cases the tank is the biggest threat to the enemy supports (zarya, diva, winston all exploit this) on the map at any given time.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

tank damage is in a good place in the current patch except junker/doom might be a little undertuned and zarya a little overtuned

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Make Doomfist the anti-tank tank. Give him extra damage vs armor/shields.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Veryslightlymad posted:

Doesn't it turn back into a oneshot if you soak up some damage with his defensive first?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Shadowlyger posted:

Doesn't it turn back into a oneshot if you soak up some damage with his defensive first?

nah that just adds a short aoe stun to anyone you send into a wall, which makes it much easier to get hs and pick someone but still no ohk

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The internet says an empowered rocket punch (from blocking 90 damage with Power Block) gets a 50% bonus to damage, speed and travel time, an increase in knock back plus an area effect and a stun on wall hit. So yeah, while Doomfist may well be too weak (I haven't really played him recently) just going at it at the practice range with uncharged punches won't reflect how the ability is really supposed to work.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like how counters to currently OP characters keep getting removed from the game before their nerfs actually go live.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Any good people to watch for Junkrat? Doing mostly solo queue, sometimes playing with 1-2 friends.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

His big problem (like ball) is that he provides nothing outside of peels to protect the rest of the team in any way. You aren't playing a tank, you are playing a tanky character.

That's almost every OW2 "tank".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack Trades posted:

That's almost every OW2 "tank".

No it isn't, cmon man.
Tank non-peel abilities:

Rein: Shield
Sigma: Shield and Succ
DVA: Matrix (which is a big part of her peel kit as well but it's also front line damage mitigation)
Zarya: Bubble (you can use it on DPS to engage, or just to protect them when they're in too deep)
Orisa: Spin (and you can use Fortify to bodyblock a lot as well).
Junkerqueen: Shout
Doom's Power Block is theoretically a team protection ability, but it's small and kinda lovely.

It's only Hog and Ball that don't have any team protecc abilities.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Junker queen barely counts, tbh. Woo, 75 hp and slightly faster movement. That's totally as good as a 200 hp bubble that gives Zarya "gently caress you energy" if you try to burn it.

Worth noting that queen needs to hit every single ally she has with the shout in order to get the same amount of HP added to the team. For how hard it is to use, her numbers should be higher, which tbh is a thing I can say about a lot of abilities/characters.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Followup to yesterday's post i made about the best OW coach videos, this is a must watch for DPS players. I remember watching this in OW1 and it helped my DPS play immensely, again Spilo is my favorite coach, i haven't seen anyone better. This video applies to most other DPS characters besides hanzo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JyT5ApM6Zk

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

I dont think anything has tilted me more in OW in a long time than playing against a Zarya. I know I shouldn't expect competency from the OW2 team but how the devs didn't see from playtesting how just leagues better she is than any other tank is beyond me. Thank god that patch will be here soon.

edit: Also Sojourn to a lesser degree, lol they aren't patching her

from yesterday, but I've been finding great success fighting Zaryas by switching to Symmetra (admittedly a character I'm already comfortable with). you just laser beam her to death while ramping up on her bubbles, it's kind of like giving her a taste of her own medicine. especially effective if you have someone who will burst her on your mark

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

soscannonballs posted:

Any good people to watch for Junkrat? Doing mostly solo queue, sometimes playing with 1-2 friends.

Against him? Someone far off that can kill him like Hanzo; far off so you don't get the suicide bomb death.

Which is my favorite way to kill people as Junkrat.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

grieving for Gandalf posted:

from yesterday, but I've been finding great success fighting Zaryas by switching to Symmetra (admittedly a character I'm already comfortable with). you just laser beam her to death while ramping up on her bubbles, it's kind of like giving her a taste of her own medicine. especially effective if you have someone who will burst her on your mark

In ow1, that's absolutely what you would do to destroy Zarya. In ow2 however, she is gonna focus melt you unless you have a pocket. You don't get ammo back anymore which means you have less pressure, and there is one more bubble potentially to burn through.

I feel bad for the dps passive getting dumped on next season, because primary fire Sym is probably the single greatest benefactor to the speed and ammo on kill effect. She is already bottom 3 heroes in the game, without that effect she hurts even more.

Of course, blizzard devs will only look at the stats where sym has high win rates because only mains pick her and only in niche situations and never fix the problem.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

I haven't tuned into OW since quitting around the time Ana was released but all I read, all the Youtube videos I watched, said Doomfist was a trash tank.

Every dozen games or so I'll get a one-trick Doomfist on the other team that is absolutely impossible to shutdown without serious coordination. I actually came here to post, is there even a solid counter hero to him? I've been using Echo with okay results but really he needs to be sub 50% hp and stay within 30m of me for a few seconds.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

One funny/novel solution to the stale meta would be an auto adjustment: every character has a few attributes that are tied to a scale. Damage, fire rate, cooldowns, durations. Weekly, the top 10 pickrate get a micronerf and the bottom 10 pick rate get a microbuff. Like 1% on the scale.

This take bias out of the picture and just lets the meta solve itself. It could take some heros a few weeks to work their way out of an OP situation.

e: I guess the problem is deciding which population to look at since ranks play so differently.

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 3, 2022

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

In ow1, that's absolutely what you would do to destroy Zarya. In ow2 however, she is gonna focus melt you unless you have a pocket. You don't get ammo back anymore which means you have less pressure, and there is one more bubble potentially to burn through.

I don't run out of ammo while beaming her down, personally. Sym's my go-to pick against her

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZCS8h9IsNg

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
as doomfist, before any engagement, you peak in front of the enemy team with block up and go in after you gain charge for your punch. You should be able to ohko one of their 200 hp heroes or make the other team invest significant resources in saving them. Rinse repeat. It's a terribly simple strategy that works at every rank and is countered by not shooting the obviously baiting doom but it only take 1 person on your team to ruin it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sometimes i wonder if the person yelling 'zarya diff' was shooting the zarya bubbles asap every time

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I miss pre-rework Symmetra. Gone but not forgotten Shield Generator.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

comedyblissoption posted:

sometimes i wonder if the person yelling 'zarya diff' was shooting the zarya bubbles asap every time

As a support player it's always fun to watch your whole team feed her and have her just walk straight past them straight into the back line

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I miss pre-rework Symmetra. Gone but not forgotten Shield Generator.

I think the Shield Generator was as of Sym 2.0, right? and you could pick between either the tele or the generator

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

zenyatta
+ torb armor pack
+ symettra shield generator ult
+ brigette bugged armor ult

the true dps support tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i've been playing long enough to remember when symmetra just had a straight up shield grant as one of her abilities, back when blizzard really didn't understand FPSes at all