Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Is this another hoax like that recent photo of the cobalt(?) rod in someone's hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am looking at the cylinder video and I can't tell what happens in it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The implication is that the radiation inside of the cylinder is so strong that it's loving with the sensor in the camera

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mister Speaker posted:

Is this another hoax like that recent photo of the cobalt(?) rod in someone's hand?

Bare-assed hands aren't known to block much radiation energetic enough to be detected on a phone sensor.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Wasabi the J posted:

Bare-assed hands aren't known to block much radiation energetic enough to be detected on a phone sensor.

Oh wow lol, I didn't even pay attention to that part of the video. Yeah and the noise is sometimes a split second late too. The prop does look convincing though, at least to my imagination.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

couldn't beta radiation be detected by a camera sensor? or is it only gamma?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Any type could be detected by the sensor but alpha/beta would have a hard time making it there.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I guess if you had a thin smartphone lens (like a few mm or something) electrons could do it at an MeV or so and would probably be blocked by the thick part of your hand. Unless I hosed up the math.

That being said my guess is it's fake.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Poor Pecas, saw some Tequila and shied.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://i.imgur.com/Dmr6Fwg.mp4

Mod edit: fingering someone's butthole while they are moving stuff isn't just an Osha violation it's sexual assault!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 4, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eeyo posted:

That being said my guess is it's fake.

It is. The giveaway is that the noise pattern has both lighter and darker pixels than the underlying scene, while radiation will only produce lighter pixels. They just did a black and white gaussian noise pattern and overlaid it on the video.

their technique:

what it should look more like, imo:

or maybe this:

not sure how the sensor would interpret one subpixel maxing out -- depends on the debayering algorithm etc. anyway there wouldn't be any darker pixels, that's for sure

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 3, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think your pattern is right either - the radiation isn't going to saturate all three colour channels on one pixel while leaving the surrounding pixels untouched.

e: that second one seems more plausible for sure

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

For a real radiation vs camera sensor comparison, here's a GoPro, inside a lead tube, looking through 1/2" of leaded glass, with another 1/4" lead plate on top of it, on a journey through an 3MeV electron beam industrial irradiator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4Ux4SlyT4

Camera part:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sagebrush posted:

not sure how the sensor would interpret one subpixel maxing out -- depends on the debayering algorithm etc. anyway there wouldn't be any darker pixels, that's for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXC7e66KM0

That 1/20th of a second exposure would be about the steady state 'oh god, please drop me' activity from one of the meme-sources. You can see it causes the camera's debayering filters to freak out very colorfully.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sagebrush posted:

It is. The giveaway is that the noise pattern has both lighter and darker pixels than the underlying scene, while radiation will only produce lighter pixels. They just did a black and white gaussian noise pattern and overlaid it on the video.

their technique:

what it should look more like, imo:

or maybe this:

could be the camera software of the smartphone freaking out

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

PurpleXVI posted:

Fill one of those firefighting planes they use for forest fires with paint and just splash the entire building from the sky.

It's the only way to be sure.

Mozi posted:

Use a drone as a spotter for a mortar that launches balloons filled with paint.

I'm torn

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Wasn't there a guy here with a collection of radioactive sources, Genesplicer or something?
If he's still around he can take a quick video for us and rest this derail for ever.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ah, poo poo. Sorry friend, your inability to see what's happening in that video suggests that your vision is already similarly affected. There's a very real possibility your eyeballs are radioactive.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
there's a separate clip where someone is holding a geiger counter over the thing and there's zero noise in it, soooo

anyways, have a meme

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I could never figure out how to get past this bit in Half Life.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I still remember the anecdote I was told that university chemistry courses in Denmark used to include being able to identify chemicals by taste.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PurpleXVI posted:

I still remember the anecdote I was told that university chemistry courses in Denmark used to include being able to identify chemicals by taste.

I was taught some basics by a dairy technologists who could tell the pH of cleaning solutions by touch. As in, he'd put his fingers in the beam of a cleaning solution being run, rub it between his thumb and index finger and go "pH 10".

he was right every time. Chemical industry before the invention of workplace health and safety must've been wild

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

champagne posting posted:

I was taught some basics by a dairy technologists who could tell the pH of cleaning solutions by touch. As in, he'd put his fingers in the beam of a cleaning solution being run, rub it between his thumb and index finger and go "pH 10".

he was right every time. Chemical industry before the invention of workplace health and safety must've been wild

Saponifying my flesh for a cool party trick

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PurpleXVI posted:

We tasted different alcohols in elementary chemistry class. Didn't drink them, just tasted with tongue.

Then again our biology teacher also told that she had years ago brought mystery liquid for pupils to taste before revealing that it was fresh cow piss. It tasted salty, like sweat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It reminds me of that tumblr post of the guy pulling a pizza out of the over with his bare hands

There are better ways to do this

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It reminds me of that tumblr post of the guy pulling a pizza out of the over with his bare hands

There are better ways to do this

quote:

Today, my boyfriend of 2 weeks said that he was going to cook me dinner. After waiting for the frozen pizza that he decided to make for me to be completely cooked, he said, "Oh I hate this part", reached into the oven with his bare hands and took out the pizza, all while screaming. He is 24.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PurpleXVI posted:

Heh, I'm pretty sure I've seen people in AI say that they can tell what is leaking from their cars by smelling/tasting.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

SimonSays posted:

Saponifying my flesh for a cool party trick

Starting a great new genre of music CLEAN METAL

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
It came from Reddit:

My elderly landlord took 6h to do this 'temporary fix' today instead of hiring a proper sparky. Is it safe?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

By popular demand posted:

Starting a great new genre of music CLEAN METAL

We are alkaline genocide
This is dissolve my flesh and bones and flush me down the toilet

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I didn't like their attempt at gansta rap: Bleach Blondes, Ammonia in the Bank

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/bpd3oVo.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's a free car wash!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nenonen posted:

It's a free car wash!

Here’s another one that crops up in this thread from time to time.

https://i.imgur.com/5VIgh5t.gifv

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Uthor posted:

Heh, I'm pretty sure I've seen people in AI say that they can tell what is leaking from their cars by smelling/tasting.

Oh yeah, folks do that all the time. But it's safe because it's just regular car stuff, not dangerous things like chemicals.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Uthor posted:

I mean, car fluids all have real strong, distinct smells.
gently caress tasting any of that poo poo!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Wasn't there a guy here with a collection of radioactive sources, Genesplicer or something?
If he's still around he can take a quick video for us and rest this derail for ever.

He caught some wierd lymphatic system cancer that's usually only seen in workers in uranium mines and died. Real sad story.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Uthor posted:

Yeah, if you don't have a big enough puddle of fluid to see color on the ground under your car, you just get a couple fingertips wet, smell and lick it, and you can pretty quickly tell if it's coolant, oil, brake fluid, or A/C condensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aside from horror this installation, it's really cute that Australians call their electricians "sparkies". :3: