Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/KarenKilgariff/status/1371654905430040580?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m Gen X and look how cool and good I am

e: why are you laughing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1587965219707539456

incredible

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I read this as "shut up [all gen xers]" and then it took me a while to parse it otherwise

it was better that way

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Where does he say "but"?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lobok posted:

Where does he say "but"?

It’s the last sentence where it veers into talking about civility

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

:decorum:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/SydneyBattle/status/1587890008425345026

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Good thread on how, exactly, Elon is loving up Twitter right now:

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1588115310124539904

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's back, he's grifting for money because his..."kissmate"...needs an invasive surgical procedure. People are skeptical, for some reason.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mr.Radar posted:

Good thread on how, exactly, Elon is loving up Twitter right now:

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1588115310124539904

That guy gets paid way too much for what he does and should be fired.

tl/dr people still use thing even after they start disliking it (twitter) up to a point. If Man change thing a little, making it a tiny bit worse for people, Man might tip the scale. Break the camels back.

(aka people don't trust you and finally say "gently caress it, this isn't worth it" and leave thing)

Twit says he gets paid to say these innovative things about things.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

He'd be overpaid if anyone listened but having "literally cassandra to a bunch of failsons" as your job would get old quick

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

He'd be overpaid if anyone listened but having "literally cassandra to a bunch of failsons" as your job would get old quick

Yeah especially since anyone can do it simply by saying "that doesn't sound like a great idea to me guys" at everything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That guy gets paid way too much for what he does and should be fired.

tl/dr people still use thing even after they start disliking it (twitter) up to a point. If Man change thing a little, making it a tiny bit worse for people, Man might tip the scale. Break the camels back.

(aka people don't trust you and finally say "gently caress it, this isn't worth it" and leave thing)

I mean, he gets paid lots of money by people who clearly don't deserve to have that money in the first place, so whatever.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

These execs are paying consultants because this poo poo isn't obvious to them. They can't wrap their heads around unlimited growth being impossible and customers not actually being fungible because their careers are premised in not understanding that. So they hire a shootable messenger who may or may not realize the outcome is predetermined.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
There's a lot of money to be made for being able to, as a third party, clearly and digestibly tell people why their ideas are loving stupid

Do they listen to you? No, of course not, but you've got their money, so.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah especially since anyone can do it simply by saying "that doesn't sound like a great idea to me guys" at everything.

It’s even better because you don’t have to say “this doesn’t sound like a good idea”, you get to say “The thing you did before I got here was a bad idea”.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ask_aubry/status/1587944963203104769?s=20&t=HpdHTp46VlznC6nWYEevFg

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cram em up there and let’s see

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

These execs are paying consultants because this poo poo isn't obvious to them. They can't wrap their heads around unlimited growth being impossible and customers not actually being fungible because their careers are premised in not understanding that. So they hire a shootable messenger who may or may not realize the outcome is predetermined.

No no, it's not the cassandra part that should get him fired. It's that it took him 20! tweets to communicate a kindergarten saying.
Moron is incompetent

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Amazing. Some good stories about similar feuds in the comments.

https://twitter.com/alyx_withawhy/status/1588185627312676865?s=19

https://twitter.com/SydneyBattle/status/1422712420439523333?s=19

https://twitter.com/SydneyBattle/status/1586819855566573568?s=19

It was such a shock even mama elephant ran away.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No no, it's not the cassandra part that should get him fired. It's that it took him 20! tweets to communicate a kindergarten saying.
Moron is incompetent

He's got a decently arresting hook/punt style that works well for tweets and his use of the Thermocline concept is exactly the kind of pseudointellectual brine that you want to communicate with pseudointellectuals like failsons and-- frankly-- us.

Like it or not, that's good.

He probably also gives out a lot of handjobs, figurative and quite possibly literal, and most of getting where he is involved fighting in the dogpits against other wannabe Diogenes to be the master's favorite so even if that's not commendable it's a twisted "prison yard" kind-of respectable, if it means being able to say some common sense poo poo and get paid.

And yeah I wish I could get paid for it too. I've been telling rich people that their ideas are poo poo and they're doing harm for decades too and I never got a massive paycheck for it. But my handjobs are loving garbage, so

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

As a consultant, quit blowing up our spot. They paid a lot of money for goober to tell them they’re loving up some basic premise so you’ve got to dress it up a bit so they feel like they spent that money well.

Almost 100% of the time they’re over engineered something and the simple solution is the best one. If it isn’t, simply asking one of the boots on the ground people what they figure the fix is will get you where you need to go. Leadership can’t see the trees for the forest more often than not.

Warbird has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Nov 3, 2022

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

He's paid to talk to board room types so

quote:

Moron is incompetent
Is why he has to be verbose about it.

It's like why, and I think I'm paraphrasing something I read on SA, Sun Tzu's "tactics" seem obvious and don't need to be written down; it's because he's explaining war to idiot royals.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

He's got a decently arresting hook/punt style that works well for tweets and his use of the Thermocline concept is exactly the kind of pseudointellectual brine that you want to communicate with pseudointellectuals like failsons and-- frankly-- us.

Like it or not, that's good.

He probably also gives out a lot of handjobs, figurative and quite possibly literal, and most of getting where he is involved fighting in the dogpits against other wannabe Diogenes to be the master's favorite so even if that's not commendable it's a twisted "prison yard" kind-of respectable, if it means being able to say some common sense poo poo and get paid.

And yeah I wish I could get paid for it too. I've been telling rich people that their ideas are poo poo and they're doing harm for decades too and I never got a massive paycheck for it. But my handjobs are loving garbage, so

:catstare: word padding is bad. You defending it is bad. It's a centuries long scourge whether it be in academia or anywhere else and its proponents should be EXTERMINATED BECAUSE THEY ANNOY ME MUCH

Brevity. Succinct words. Meaning. These, are well.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I know why they exist. I do not condone this. Join my correct opinion! Fight your inner verbosity! And then purge the outers!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:jerkbag:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good writing is good writing.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Thermoclines don't even feel like a good metaphor here. You can just swim back up into the warm part of the thermocline, and one of the main points of the thread is that it's hard to get back to a previous state. It's not like thermoclines (at least as far as I know) have a riptide that drags you ever-deeper into the cold parts.

When someone drops your product, recent changes are just the straw that broke the camel's back. You're not noticing the ever-growing piles of straw on the back of every other camel because the only thing you're paying attention to is when people actually leave. Trust is easier to lose than regain: you, running the business, can easily add straw by degrading the platform/product, but you need to wait for the customers to gradually build trust back up, removing the straw on their own timeframes.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Nov 3, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm so glad twitter is dying

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Thermoclines don't even feel like a good metaphor here. You can just swim back up into the warm part of the thermocline, and one of the main points of the thread is that it's hard to get back to a previous state. It's not like thermoclines (at least as far as I know) have a riptide that drags you ever-deeper into the cold parts.

consultants like that get stuck on one word forever and use it in every situation possible. It's not about making use of it correctly, it's about letting you know that they know how to spell thermoclines and maybe even know what it means.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Beeswax posted:

And yet this post appears mad. Curious!

I wasn't being fair, there are lots of funny gen xers, like Dave Chappelle, Louis CK, Carlos Mencia, Dane Cook, Chris Delia, Russell Brand, Chris Hardwick...

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Elysiume posted:

When someone drops your product, recent changes are just the straw that broke the camel's back. You're not noticing the ever-growing piles of straw on the back of every other camel because the only thing you're paying attention to is when people actually leave. Trust is easier to lose than regain: you, running the business, can easily add straw by degrading the platform/product, but you need to wait for the customers to gradually build trust back up, removing the straw on their own timeframes.

It'd probably be more apt if they used the imagery of scuba divers that go deep, panic, forget everything they've ever learned due to multiple internal and external reasons, and die, but one message is a lot less threatening and morbid than the other.

Sure, I think the diver message could work, but it also takes a special kind of personality to make it so to people who aren't terminally online.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This thread needs to get on top of the posting quality thermocline. :colbert:

Don't look at me I'm not a good poster. :shobon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have found so many good accounts from artists, scientists, writers, activists... I will be sad when the whole thing falls to pieces.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just wanted sports news. I'm pretty sure that was the reason I joined all those years ago. Certainly my main reason for using it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twitter will go on, if it doesn't, something else will fill the place. And I will post my favorite whatevers from there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that’s ultimately the thing. Twitter as a concept will survive. That’s why I’m confused why people are hoping this will kill Twitter. The replacement isn’t going to be much different sans Musks dumb poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I remember when twitter came out everyone thought it was the stupidest thing ever and would fail in a week and as it turns out it almost destroyed the world and still might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Musk cannot kill Twitter in any way that matters