Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Looking up recommended manufacturing queues for the island is getting me about half a million gil worth of dye a week. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

super sweet best pal posted:

Looking up recommended manufacturing queues for the island is getting me about half a million gil worth of dye a week. :homebrew:

oh gently caress thats what I should be doing with the 100k cowries im sitting on

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I FORGOT TO UNLOCK ISLAND SANCTUARY THIS WHOLE TIME :negative:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I FORGOT TO UNLOCK ISLAND SANCTUARY THIS WHOLE TIME :negative:

I realized yesterday that since the omnicron went in I hadn't visited my island.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zeruel posted:

oh gently caress thats what I should be doing with the 100k cowries im sitting on

i'm saving them for when they add new rewards down the line (i'm too lazy to think about what to buy)

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'm hoarding mine to reduce the amount of crafting/gathering materia I'd need for the 6.3 gear. It's not *that* efficient, but a lack of currency cap means I can save it for exactly what I'd need.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Roluth posted:

I'm hoarding mine to reduce the amount of crafting/gathering materia I'd need for the 6.3 gear. It's not *that* efficient, but a lack of currency cap means I can save it for exactly what I'd need.

That's my plan as well.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm saving them for when they add new rewards down the line (i'm too lazy to think about what to buy)

If they add new rewards, they'll probably add a different color of cowries at the same time

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

If you're into gathering then the island is also a source of basically infinite hi-cordials

I can get several hundred of them per week if I dump all cowries into it, and the island is totally passive at this point

As someone who's descended into fishing hell recently it's pretty nice

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tamba posted:

If they add new rewards, they'll probably add a different color of cowries at the same time

Best to assume the island expansion they've talked about will be accompanied by a new cowrie.

Still got to get that 500k achievement, though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Best to assume the island expansion they've talked about will be accompanied by a new cowrie.

Still got to get that 500k achievement, though.

Definitely.

That "manually gather 30,000 times on the island" cheevo can gently caress off though. I was already fully self sustaining before I hit 3000 gathers, and only bothered to complete that one because I was just a hundred or so short of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mount? More like portable glam backdrop.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 3, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder of you can mod the jellyfish out somehow so it just looks like you are flying.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Flying and very small?

poo poo, mod it to pixie wings

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I really, really want a mount that’s just wings that they use the flying animation for.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thundarr posted:

That "manually gather 30,000 times on the island" cheevo can gently caress off though. I was already fully self sustaining before I hit 3000 gathers, and only bothered to complete that one because I was just a hundred or so short of it.
I mean, have you seen some of the achievements in this game? "Gather 20,000 items via gatherer's boon as a miner" is literally "hit something 20k times, 10k if you use a cooldown". It's actually consistent with other gathering achievements! God help us all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I want them to make /cpose work for the Level Checker mount so I can use the good pose with my female WoL!!!!! :argh:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

hopeandjoy posted:

I really, really want a mount that’s just wings that they use the flying animation for.

My wish is a mount that uses the "carrying a box" animation but you run at mount speed

Even when airborne

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder of you can mod the jellyfish out somehow so it just looks like you are flying.

The scale of the background would make things weird pretty easily.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Zomborgon posted:

My wish is a mount that uses the "carrying a box" animation but you run at mount speed

Even when airborne

This would make me make a novelty alt. "After a decade of carrying a crate slowly from one point to another and back, I am powerful beyond your wildest imaginings. Time to kill gods."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well this is a new one. "Unable to retrieve Steam account information. There was no response from the Steam network." even when launching directly from a very much connected Steam.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Thundarr posted:

Well this is a new one. "Unable to retrieve Steam account information. There was no response from the Steam network." even when launching directly from a very much connected Steam.

I got that as well, came back 10 mins later & was able to login

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

It's something on Steam's end, unfortunately. Usually doesn't take more than an hour to resolve, though it's annoying when it happens.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hey, so I have a question about the variant dungeon.

I noticed there was a blank spot on the map on the right side, but I couldn't figure out how to open the obvious door. I looked it up and it said the solution is to kill the drakes in order of biggest to smallest and then there's a whole sequence of emotes you have to do in front of the sarcophagus to open the final chamber and I just want to know ... where are the clues for this? I'll admit that I'm pretty dumb but I'm not sure how you're actually supposed to figure this out. I still have five endings to get, so I assume there are other secrets I'll be expected to figure out so I guess I'd just like to know if there are outside sources within the game or hidden clues elsewhere in the dungeon that would lead one to try these things.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

HackensackBackpack posted:

Hey, so I have a question about the variant dungeon.

I noticed there was a blank spot on the map on the right side, but I couldn't figure out how to open the obvious door. I looked it up and it said the solution is to kill the drakes in order of biggest to smallest and then there's a whole sequence of emotes you have to do in front of the sarcophagus to open the final chamber and I just want to know ... where are the clues for this? I'll admit that I'm pretty dumb but I'm not sure how you're actually supposed to figure this out. I still have five endings to get, so I assume there are other secrets I'll be expected to figure out so I guess I'd just like to know if there are outside sources within the game or hidden clues elsewhere in the dungeon that would lead one to try these things.

i don't know if there's a clue for killing the drakes in order, but the clue for the emotes is in the journal entry you get when you do the dragons without doing the secret boss

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They should just give us a Loporrit Mask so that you can roll a Lalafell and pretend to be a bunny person.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

i don't know if there's a clue for killing the drakes in order, but the clue for the emotes is in the journal entry you get when you do the dragons without doing the secret boss

The clue for the drake order is one of the left side path entries that requires you to do the gem puzzle right. The clue for that puzzle is in the middle path that needs you to do the scale puzzle right, which hints are in the other middle paths that require 0 puzzle solving skills.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Finally BIS after getting memed on rolling off for the weapon the past couple weeks.

Think this might be one of my fav scythes. Wonder if the next tier or finished relic can top it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Variant Dungeon Talk:
I was kind of disappointed that there's seemingly no way to figure out the stone/bag puzzle without finding the note about the solution. We tried a couple different solutions trying to logic out what the potential solution could be before we found the note on the other route and couldn't figure out if they intended players to figure it out without the note. Like the banner and the drakes puzzle solutions both I feel can be reasoned out without having the solution directly told to you.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Finally BIS after getting memed on rolling off for the weapon the past couple weeks.

Think this might be one of my fav scythes. Wonder if the next tier or finished relic can top it.

Oh drat, that is a cool scythe.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I too loved Gundam Wing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Potsticker posted:

Variant Dungeon Talk:
I was kind of disappointed that there's seemingly no way to figure out the stone/bag puzzle without finding the note about the solution. We tried a couple different solutions trying to logic out what the potential solution could be before we found the note on the other route and couldn't figure out if they intended players to figure it out without the note. Like the banner and the drakes puzzle solutions both I feel can be reasoned out without having the solution directly told to you.

Almost definitely the intent is that you're working towards the twelfth entry via doing multiple runs of all the other ones. You're supposed to read the journaly and find clues to other parts of the dungeon from paths they're not on.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Appreciate the responses. My wife and I have been doing VSS as a pair and we’ve only managed to get a few of the endings so far. Tonight we looked up one because we couldn’t figure out how to access that blank part of the map. I assumed there were probably clues elsewhere but I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for the other ones!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

Almost definitely the intent is that you're working towards the twelfth entry via doing multiple runs of all the other ones. You're supposed to read the journaly and find clues to other parts of the dungeon from paths they're not on.

Okay, but the twelfth entry has nothing to do what what I was talking about! The rock/bag puzzle is one that I found couldn't be figured out without the note. It makes sense for the 12th one since the clue you get by doing it "wrong" first but compared to the other puzzles at the same tier as the first one, it seems odd, or we just couldn't puzzle out what the intent was, even having the solution. It just seems out of place where the others could be puzzled out without having the solution given to you, The rock/bag puzzle You have to find the note that tells you how to do it.

Unless there is a logic to it and I just missed what it is.

The best idea I had was had to do with one side of the room having more of one color versus the other and picking up the ones that didn't "match" their half of the room. But that wasn't right. And there were other ideas about where things were based on other "clues" that turned out as equally wrong.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Potsticker posted:

Okay, but the twelfth entry has nothing to do what what I was talking about! The rock/bag puzzle is one that I found couldn't be figured out without the note. It makes sense for the 12th one since the clue you get by doing it "wrong" first but compared to the other puzzles at the same tier as the first one, it seems odd, or we just couldn't puzzle out what the intent was, even having the solution. It just seems out of place where the others could be puzzled out without having the solution given to you, The rock/bag puzzle You have to find the note that tells you how to do it.

Unless there is a logic to it and I just missed what it is.

The best idea I had was had to do with one side of the room having more of one color versus the other and picking up the ones that didn't "match" their half of the room. But that wasn't right. And there were other ideas about where things were based on other "clues" that turned out as equally wrong.

No i'm saying the point is that you have to do another route to find the note that tells you the solution, that is intended game design. Because the entire Variant Dungeon is in service of doing all the endings to work out the answer to the twelfth ending. Which requires you to learn how to do the Lizard Order which you learn from a different lore bit, and so on and so forth. You could luck into the lizard solution, but the intended thing is to read the lore entry that explains Amal'jaa thought patterns, just like afterwards you read the lore entry explaining the right actions to get the twelfth entry.

Finding the note is the intended solution, because the Variant Dungeons want you to explore every part of them to solve the overarching plot and find all the lore.

For example whilst you can kind of work out the scales, there is a lore entry that outright explains it and that's how I worked it out because the other way involves random chance. Or the answer to which of Nald and/or Thal is correct is also in a separate dungeon journal entry

You didn't miss any logic, because the answer was always find the note because the whole dungeon is this interconnected do every path multiple times adventure to solve puzzles in other paths.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I mean, I didn't "luck" into either other puzzle solution. Both other puzzles at worst have two possible logical solutions if the only thing you can remember is the Ul'dah coat of arms

quote:

For example whilst you can kind of work out the scales, there is a lore entry that outright explains it and that's how I worked it out because the other way involves random chance. Or the answer to which of Nald and/or Thal is correct is also in a separate dungeon journal entry

Neither is "correct" in that both are valid paths. This isn't a puzzle, it's a route choice.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm not sure what the issue is exactly but if it needs to be a 'puzzle' for you, then the 'puzzle' is "wtf is this note talking about???" It's not exactly going to make your brain explode but the note is meaningless unless you connect it to the other route (which you may not have done yet). Also, there have been several people that got the note and still didn't get where or how to use it until it was explained to them, so there's at least some thinking involved by the player

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 4, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Can't wait for Mandeville Weapons part 2, each of which gets a book that has to be solved by running the gimmicks in the variant dungeon in a specific order.

Nine times per weapon.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Thundarr posted:

Can't wait for Mandeville Weapons part 2, each of which gets a book that has to be solved by running the gimmicks in the variant dungeon in a specific order.

Nine times per weapon.

They make a variant Satasha and the order you have to do the gimmicks is randomized each time, and you have to do 10 sets. It's otherwise just Satasha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Nine times per weapon.

Nah, you have to clear Solemn Trinity. You have to have the kill order be Gigas>Eurytos>Aegaeon for 1 totem and Gigas>Aegaeon>Eurytos for the 2nd totem. You'd need 3 of each for the next part.