Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Star posted:

I’m hoping they’ll implement a “cancel export” button. Make it give you worse relations and even some infamy if needed, but it’s silly that my internal market is running a 2k deficit on clothes while exporting 4k to France or the UK.

You could embargo them or increase your export tariffs, but if you've enacted free trade this is the bed you've made for yourself.

Unit deficits don't matter, only the price of the good does. As long as your clothes are cheaper than France's they'll import as much as they can off of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Have they fixed the combat division number bug yet? War is the most frustrating thing in the world. Trying to fight a war and fighting every single loving battle outnumbered is some bullshit.

I just got invaded by Portugal and their 15 divisions are unstoppable because my 100 divisions will only fight outnumbered. I guess I should just beeline mil techs to always have a tech advantage so I can win outnumbered?

It took me 10+ tries to do a naval landing on a random nobody with one army since I would only ever land 1 division.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 3, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Demon_Corsair posted:

Have they fixed the combat division number bug yet? War is the most frustrating thing in the world.

Ahh I had the greatest army in the world, 200+ divisions all well equipped so I started a war with Russia and lost because it was constantly 3 divisions vs 113 (???)

Also Columbia is rough man. How am I supposed to become the king of South America when I’m constantly riding my credit limit building one plantation every few years ahhh.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

mst4k posted:

Ahh I had the greatest army in the world, 200+ divisions all well equipped so I started a war with Russia and lost because it was constantly 3 divisions vs 113 (???)

Also Columbia is rough man. How am I supposed to become the king of South America when I’m constantly riding my credit limit building one plantation every few years ahhh.

Conquer Central America, nobody cares about it and it's a peasant pinata.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

boo boo bear posted:

speaking of canada, does anyone know why I wind up owning all of it without even trying? is it a crown colony mechanic or something, cuz all I wanna do is either build awesome furniture in bc or the greatest shipyards known to man in halifax, but I constantly get saddled with the prairies, or even worse, the quebecois every time I play. the only way out of it seems to be independence, but that's got the major downside of losing access to the british market.

I've only done it from the Canadian side where you get a decision to ask UK for other colonies to join yours if you have a higher GDP and 50+ relations with the other colony and the Brits.

The UK also has a decision to merge colonies on their end but I'm not sure if the relations restriction applies when they are doing it or if they'll just smash any poor colony into a good one. So maybe if you hate all the other guys the Brits won't merge you?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Are they going to fix the slow down? I have trouble playing past 1912

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Star posted:

I’m hoping they’ll implement a “cancel export” button. Make it give you worse relations and even some infamy if needed, but it’s silly that my internal market is running a 2k deficit on clothes while exporting 4k to France or the UK.

If I remember correctly, over the past few months Biden has been releasing millions of barrels of oil from America's strategic oil reserve in order to lower gas/energy prices for the domestic market.

China has responded by increasing their import of American oil to build their own oil reserves at a lower cost.

:nsa:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

FishBulbia posted:

Are they going to fix the slow down? I have trouble playing past 1912

It's going to be in the first major patch, they have implemented a fix (it's caused by migration splitting pops into tiny tiny pieces) but I guess they need to test it to make sure nothing explodes

Edit:

Wiz said there might be another hotfix after the next hotfix (which I think is supposed to be ASAP to fix the trade centres bug they just introduced) specifically to fix the migration pop splitting issue

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 3, 2022

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

as of 1922 england france and the dutch never built a single gold mine in guyana, come on man

E: just looked around, US and Russia never built on any of their gold deposits either

E2: Mexico too! The only gold mines built in the entire world are some of the south american ones, peru-boliva and argentina used ~3/5 of their mine potentials

Jackie D fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 3, 2022

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think someone needs to take a look at POP migrations, since I’ve had mass emigration of Yankee culture POPs to Lazio and Romagna now. That’s backwards! Why are 200,000 Americans suddenly all moving to Rome at once?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Star posted:

The tags are a bit all over right now. I had three Serbias in my game, two regular and one revolutionary.

imagine four serbias on the edge of a cliff. time works the same way

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

It's going to be in the first major patch, they have implemented a fix (it's caused by migration splitting pops into tiny tiny pieces) but I guess they need to test it to make sure nothing explodes

I hope the overflow from IGs getting too much clout is on the radar too, it was causing some very strange things with trade unions in my last game.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
How can I tell why a province is in turmoil? It just says radicals.

The standard of living in that province is 20.7 VS the expected 8.6, so I don't think that's it.

Is there an easy way to see radical pops without opening up every drop down? I can see maybe 20k radical starving pops, but most are unemployed, so I don't know if that's it.

Why isn't this info obvious?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think someone needs to take a look at POP migrations, since I’ve had mass emigration of Yankee culture POPs to Lazio and Romagna now. That’s backwards! Why are 200,000 Americans suddenly all moving to Rome at once?

People move where jobs and better qol exists. Since the ai doesn't grow properly that's almost always the player county.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kraftwerk posted:

I've had to abandon my US playthrough again due to confusion.

I have so many states and no idea where to build my stuff and because I have trade going on I'm terribly confused about which resources I need to build up, whether it's okay to cancel trade routes or apply export tariffs to protect domestic industry etc. Also, in every attempt I played Texas immediately falls to Mexico and general Santa Ana is not captured to end the war. As Japan I find it much easier because I can see the total inputs and outputs in my market. With the US I have like a cloth shortage because there's random export orders I can't meet.

Not really sure what to do there. There's also a bunch of stuff like Cherokee relocation, trail of tears etc that I don't know how they influence things.

My goal is to play the US historically until the civil war where then I will hopefully beat the confederacy and mark a turning point in history.

Where you build factories isn't INCREDIBLY important to your overall economy as long as there's peasants/unemployed folks there to work at them. It's a little bit better to concentrate industry in select states to increase the throughput bonus (that is, how much stuff the factory can process) but that does cap out around 40 or 50 or so depending on your techs and the approval of the trade unions. Also spreading out industry to SOME extent also does mean that every state gets well-paying jobs at productive factories, so if you've got as many states as the US does you may find benefit from using each state to concentrate on one or two kinds of factory or plantation (Maine gets to be the food factory, Delaware does shipbuilding, whatever - again, what exactly goes where isn't really critical). Cities with trade centers are also good to concentrate industry in, as they automatically get a migration bonus and you can be pretty assured of a steady stream of new workers as long as you're reasonably attractive to migrants overall. The only other major consideration is realizing which of your states are vulnerable to rebellion or conquest (maybe don't concentrate your arms factories in South Carolina - or possibly do, having a bunch of industrialists might offset the power of the landowners and keep the state on side when the split comes).

If Texas gets beaten by Mexico, keep in mind that there is nothing stopping you from beating up Mexico yourself to take Texas along with California, New Mexico, etc. etc. There WAS a Mexican-American War historically after all.

With regards to goods shortages, it's really pretty simple: Open up the market, organize the list by the balance of goods, and build more stuff to feed a big shortage and keep a particular eye on input goods for industries (i.e. steel goes into a lot of things, so if steel is expensive a lot of other things get expensive and unprofitable too). If the shortage is particularly acute and you need the goods to feed your industry, it can be worth setting up import routes. By all means raise tariffs on exports if a good is getting short, and keep in mind that while it's a little annoying to export a scarce good, that DOES mean it's more profitable to build factories that build that good. If it's your own export route going, feel free to cancel it if you don't think your domestic industries can take advantage of the high price. If it's someone else importing from you, either embargo them or suck it up and make money selling things to them.

And really don't stress too much about getting things right. Getting things extremely wrong is historically accurate for most countries at some point in their history, and as the US you're unlikely to ever enter a true death spiral you can't get out of - V3 is honestly kinda forgiving in that it's pretty hard to outright lose the game. Hell, the Confederacy could successfully secede and you could still bounce back. Just relax and see what happens when you push the buttons.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

my favorite was when a large migration of australians moved to london

this was the same game that had tripartite australia tho so maybe it made sense

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 3, 2022

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

pseudodragon posted:

I've only done it from the Canadian side where you get a decision to ask UK for other colonies to join yours if you have a higher GDP and 50+ relations with the other colony and the Brits.

The UK also has a decision to merge colonies on their end but I'm not sure if the relations restriction applies when they are doing it or if they'll just smash any poor colony into a good one. So maybe if you hate all the other guys the Brits won't merge you?

makes sense, thanks. kinda sucks if you just want to do your own thing but I'll try antagonizing the other colonies and see if that works.

I just wanna build boats in peace, then traffic them in conflict zones.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

You're playing Vicky and don't know what a workers coop is? C'mon

That's where the workers live and lay their eggs, duh.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Fister Roboto posted:

That's where the workers live and lay their eggs, duh.

comrade little and the industrious mister fox.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Are there any (preferably written not youtube) beginner's guides around yet? The guide on the wiki is looking a bit sparse.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

First post-release dev diary just dropped:
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1588214673417068544

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Most of that sounds good, but I am skeptical about "private-sector autonomous construction". Based on the AI's economic performance that I've seen, I don't really want to hand anything over to them in terms of my own development. Making the various economic systems feel more distinct is a good goal, I just am always more than a bit leery of the idea of turning anything in a strategy game over to the AI.

I know this was a thing in Victoria 2, but I didn't play Victoria 2 and have no particular attachment to the idea of "capitalism means the AI builds awful, unprofitable stuff for you". Literally everything else spoken about does sound good though and I'm glad that free patches are the focus right now rather than DLC.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Magil Zeal posted:

Most of that sounds good, but I am skeptical about "private-sector autonomous construction". Based on the AI's economic performance that I've seen, I don't really want to hand anything over to them in terms of my own development. Making the various economic systems feel more distinct is a good goal, I just am always more than a bit leery of the idea of turning anything in a strategy game over to the AI.

I know this was a thing in Victoria 2, but I didn't play Victoria 2 and have no particular attachment to the idea of "capitalism means the AI builds awful, unprofitable stuff for you". Literally everything else spoken about does sound good though and I'm glad that free patches are the focus right now rather than DLC.

Having played Victoria 2 the main benefit of capitalism was not having to manage a trillion factories in a jillion states yourself in a large end-game nation. A little economic inefficiency because your capitalists were idiots was a small price to pay for that.

But yeah, I'm a bit uncertain about the benefits of the AI doing proper private sector construction as well - even if it only exists on a limited scale, the fact that it exists at all makes one wonder what exactly YOUR role is, and why a laissez-faire economy isn't completely managed by the AI with private construction.

Almost everything else sounds like it's exactly on point, tho.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Presumably that goes hand-in-hand with improving the AI's building strategies as well.

If they have to make a good building AI for the non-human players to use, they might as well make that available to the human players too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If they pull that off I think that would address all the issues I have with the game at the moment.

Except for the US/Canadian border issues caused by colonizing that decentralized nation! That should have been at the very top of their "historical immersion" column!

Magil Zeal posted:

I feel like they're listening to the wrong feedback on that one, yeah. If they want different economic systems to feel different what they really need to do is figure out a way of tweaking the UI to emphasize the investment pool and what heavy lifting it's doing under some systems.

That said, if the capitalists build completely random extra things from time to time for "free" that would probably be fine. There's no such thing as a clipper factory any more- it's the same building that makes steamers now- so there's nothing completely useless they can build. Even if they build something unprofitable in your market you can usually export it to someone.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I feel like “the AI is bad” isn’t a great argument against automation, since this game was supposed to have less of the player running circles around the AI with superior micro.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I think having -some- system to turn over building to the AI while still having ultimate control yourself would be helpful. At the start of the game and mid-game I would never touch it, but end game it gets really, really hard to care about individual build numbers and such and I'd welcome being able to turn it over to the AI once I no longer really need to worry about building other than spamming 100 buildings every once in awhile. But there's already a mod that does it pretty well so no big deal either way. It's hilarious seeing people begging for the return of the much hated laissez faire capitalists from Victoria 2 though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Having a game about the rise of industry where you have to plan every building is dumb as gently caress.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A 2nd construction queue run by the AI with overall decrees you give it ("Just employ as many as possible", "Reduce basics goods prices", "Produce export goods") might be kinda cool.

As it stands I'm just chasing my tail trying to employ people, finding my states with lower SOL and slapping down a bunch of resource buildings to get some jobs going, then slamming in 5 urban buildings of whatever industrial good is higher priced and moving on to the next.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
You could make the expansion automated, but have new industries pop up as an event with something to the tune of "Hi, we want permits for this area to be redeveloped into an industrial complex" or "Hi, we want to build a Company Town in province X" sorts of deals.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Triple A posted:

You could make the expansion automated, but have new industries pop up as an event with something to the tune of "Hi, we want permits for this area to be redeveloped into an industrial complex" or "Hi, we want to build a Company Town in province X" sorts of deals.

They already have the free university event to use as a template. Be nice to add an option for "Nah, but how about building a <different industry> town?" So you can veto stuff you don't want without wasting the event.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Just unified Peru and Bolivia and on top of nobody really doing anything to stop it I'm incredibly disappointed you don't get the cool confederation flag.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

OMG the amount of times I've spam clicked a building only for it to shift in order and make me delete/build buildings I don't want to has to be counted on a least 2 hands now. Why is it so? Who thought it would be a good idea for the UI to do this?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Interest groups with conflicting ideologies seem to work weirdly—I have trade unions in Belgium with Egalitarian (endorse Propertied Women, neutral on suffrage and workplace) and Feminist (Strongly endorse suffrage, endorse workplace, neutral on property), and the net result is that they prefer Propertied Women over suffrage. They joined a revolutionary movement to go back to Propertied and most of the country would have revolted, including all of Belgium proper, conquered Dutch lands, and Hanover, so I gave in. Now it's impossible to pass suffrage again unless the suffrage movement can happen twice, since no interests group want suffrage. I'm guessing the game only checks ideologies until it finds a stance, then stops looking? So only the first ideology in the list that has a stance on the issue will matter.

Also I realized you can burn off a lot of radicals by starting to pass stupid poo poo so you can magnanimously back down when a movement to preserve the current law forms. Went from about 35M radicals (out of a population of 60M) to below 20M by doing that a few times. That reduced turmoil enough that I might be able to stop chain bankrupting! Only took over 20 years and dozens of bankruptcies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eiba posted:

Except for the US/Canadian border issues caused by colonizing that decentralized nation! That should have been at the very top of their "historical immersion" column!

yeah, US/canada border gore is historical but both sides hated it so much that they worked out a straight line border. not having a land swap event seems like an oversight to me

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Phigs posted:

OMG the amount of times I've spam clicked a building only for it to shift in order and make me delete/build buildings I don't want to has to be counted on a least 2 hands now. Why is it so? Who thought it would be a good idea for the UI to do this?

Alphabetically sort them into existing and can be built. Why they reorder themselves on quantity is just, argh.

Also, same thing with the list of urban buildings when building new ones. Why isn't that alphabetical??

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Jazerus posted:

yeah, US/canada border gore is historical but both sides hated it so much that they worked out a straight line border. not having a land swap event seems like an oversight to me

The US has a decision to take Oregon and Washington, but it requires successfully completing the (33% chance Oregon Trail trigger of the?) Mapping the Western Frontier journal entry first.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

RabidWeasel posted:

Edit:

Wiz said there might be another hotfix after the next hotfix (which I think is supposed to be ASAP to fix the trade centres bug they just introduced) specifically to fix the migration pop splitting issue

Oh thank god, I did not know that the slow down was caused by a bug. I was worried that it is just a general performance issue that would be hard to improve.

The patch roadmap looks excellent to me. I did not use the war system a lot so far, only in small scale wars against weaker neighbors. On this scale I thought that it works very well. I even liked the naval part for the first time in a paradox game. Blockading the enemies only port and seeing their armies suffer from supply shortages felt nice and usefuI.

I do enjoy the absolute control you get over what gets built where, so the AI building stuff by itself is not really something I was hoping for. However, the sheer amount of construction you have to do in the last quarter of the game does get a bit silly. I hope that if they add this feature, they allow the player to switch it on and off at will. Having the option to let the Ai do its thing from time to time sounds good, as long as I can stuff it back in a box whenever I want and go nuts with the build buttons myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

poo poo really starts popping off after 1910, huh? Proletarian German revolt, Fascist American revolt, several Peasant revolts in Russia, Communist South Africa, Radical Egypt (that kicked Egypt-Egypt to Crete lmao) all going on at once.