Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Basically none of these programs teach how to deal with the emotional intensity that is part of the learning difference. Whoops.

My parents and teachers hated it but I'd just use class time to read and study poo poo I was actually interested in and I was put in remedial classes as a result where I was basically allowed to continue doing that without repercussion. As a result I had a much better educational experience than a lot of my peers did

That said that predated smart phones and if I had had the option I definitely would've been reading dumb poo poo on the internet instead so I'm also glad my only choice was library books :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Gifted and Talented Program for children? Don't you mean Adult With Stress and Anxiety problems?

How is that different from regular school

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mobby_6kl posted:

How is that different from regular school

They spend more time telling you how important you are to the future of humanity, ime

Like, I heard from literally everyone how I was gonna change the world, and all I actually do is smoke weed and shitpost

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Basically none of these programs teach how to deal with the emotional intensity that is part of the learning difference. Whoops.

This is better now! They call it socio emotional learning, or SEL. It's not given as much time as subjects like math and language arts, but it is given some time, which is a huge improvement from when I was in school. And from what I can tell the kids are way better at regulating emotions and relating to each other in healthy ways.

Of course this means SEL is now a wedge issue for republicans, it has to be eliminated from schools because it's Marxist or whatever nonsense.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

RFC2324 posted:

:corsair:

I miss writing poo poo in hypercard

best trick ever was learning the command you could run with the hypercard command line tool thing, which would terminate the AtEase parental control sofrware so we could use the computer like an actual computer lol

gently caress AtEase more like AteAss

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

RFC2324 posted:

They spend more time telling you how important you are to the future of humanity, ime

Like, I heard from literally everyone how I was gonna change the world, and all I actually do is smoke weed and shitpost

Your shitposts change the world for me and our community :)

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Yeah, AND you’re a mod so that’s got to count for something

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it's funny qntm comes up here, since their best SCP work is about anti-memes

also also their phenomenal short story Lena (free on the site) is now part of the new book announced just yesterday!

there’s a “turn on your monitor” joke in this book — is qntm a goon, or did we leak?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

best trick ever was learning the command you could run with the hypercard command line tool thing, which would terminate the AtEase parental control sofrware so we could use the computer like an actual computer lol

Holy poo poo! A goon just used eating rear end as a pejorative! In the meme thread no less.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
QCS in a nutshell

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The blue check mark isn't useless though, the whole reason that kind of verification came about is to stop people impersonating celebrities, usually just for clout but sometimes to take advantage of kids for gross and illegal purposes.

Elon trying to monetise what is basically a safety feature is bad for a whole bunch of reasons

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Heath posted:

My elementary school had a lab of Apple ][s so I learned to type on one of those. We also played Number Munchers a lot
My high school had a lab of Apple ]['s for typing class. I graduated in 1999.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

bike tory posted:

The blue check mark isn't useless though, the whole reason that kind of verification came about is to stop people impersonating celebrities, usually just for clout but sometimes to take advantage of kids for gross and illegal purposes.

Elon trying to monetise what is basically a safety feature is bad for a whole bunch of reasons

It's useless now once Elon gets his way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I was in the very last high school typing class that used typewriters -- they replaced them with computers the next year.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I indentify

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Oohh, the rare sideways memepost!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Subjunctive posted:

there’s a “turn on your monitor” joke in this book — is qntm a goon, or did we leak?

he's a goon, yes

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Infinitum posted:

Gifted and Talented Program for children? Don't you mean Adult With Stress and Anxiety problems?

I was the second kid in that program when I was in school. My first reaction to it was “wow this other kid is kind of an rear end in a top hat”.

That impression never really wore off over the next twelve years.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Oohh, the rare sideways memepost!

I’m known for being flexible with my bad posts

E: dodging a double post

teen witch has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Nov 3, 2022

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I wasn't in the gifted program in elementary school and now I'm in med school.

Meanwhile, one of the two kids I knew in it did a murder-suicide on his ex-girlfriend in college.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Your shitposts change the world for me and our community :)

Yes, but we like to change things for the better sometimes

Thanks

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Yeah, AND you’re a mod so that’s got to count for something

Now this is just cruel

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

Yes, but we like to change things for the better sometimes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Changing The World to Suit Our Needs™

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

We put Unreal Tournament on the network drive for when we were in keyboarding class.

My keyboarding class (1996-‘97) used OG IBM PCs and the one game we had loaded on them was Alley Cat

My gifted and talented class (1990-‘93; god I hate that name) used Apple ][es and we wasted a lot our time playing Oregon Trail and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

My keyboarding class (1996-‘97) used OG IBM PCs and the one game we had loaded on them was Alley Cat

My gifted and talented class (1990-‘93; god I hate that name) used Apple ][es and we wasted a lot our time playing Oregon Trail and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ugh, I play games to escape everyday reality

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I poo poo-talk one time and get murdered on a Wednesday?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

This is better now! They call it socio emotional learning, or SEL. It's not given as much time as subjects like math and language arts, but it is given some time, which is a huge improvement from when I was in school. And from what I can tell the kids are way better at regulating emotions and relating to each other in healthy ways.

Of course this means SEL is now a wedge issue for republicans, it has to be eliminated from schools because it's Marxist or whatever nonsense.

It is. But now they want to use SEL skills for everything, even things that are executive functioning differences like ADHD that it’s not going to be particularly effective in helping.

The other problem is that some (but not all) of the SEL is out of the same research as corporate self care stuff. So it can pull the focus off of environmental systematic problems / issues and push it down onto a skill the kids are either learning or failing to learn.

It’s different now and some things are better and some are worse.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Infinitum posted:

"Adult ex-perfectionist burnout with a praise kink" was a way I've seen it described

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

Huh, that's what that was. It was on the Macs at the school my Mom worked at from 93-99 or so. I knew almost nothing about computers then, but I remember that being a thing on those computers.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

?_?

?

??m

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is it Inscrutable Meme Thursday?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"Grandpa talks about his fall from the third floor" or something along those lines

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti