Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

bagrada posted:

I'm listening to the assassinorum kingmaker audiobook and there's a lot of references to the Conqueror Worm virus. Is that something going on in a different series of books?

no, but rath's further books will prolly touch on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Interesting, I thought maybe it was something from a game supplement or one of the mainline books I haven't gotten to yet.

I like the kingmaker audiobook so far, the reader has the proper british spy movie feel, though I'm not sure about his character voices yet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

bagrada posted:

I'm listening to the assassinorum kingmaker audiobook and there's a lot of references to the Conqueror Worm virus. Is that something going on in a different series of books?

It's part of that book's plot, but one thing to remember about the Imperium is that it's so big that every sector has some kind of big threat that the local Imperials are fighting. In this area, it's a chaos tech-cult.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Whoever it was who stated that Vorbis Conspiracy was good was right. The quality of the various short stories varies, but I liked the first and the last one best.

Listening to Wraithbone Phoenix now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tallarn are more Fremen by way of Bedouin and 1917 BEF troopers.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

bagrada posted:

Interesting, I thought maybe it was something from a game supplement or one of the mainline books I haven't gotten to yet.

I like the kingmaker audiobook so far, the reader has the proper british spy movie feel, though I'm not sure about his character voices yet.

there were a couple of prequel short stories that go into it a little more

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Outgunned is pretty good thus far. Although it's funny that an Imperium propagandist was surprised he didn't have the whole story about a war zone (mainly that the Orks do not, in fact, fly weird ramshackle wooden planes).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Benagain posted:

there were a couple of prequel short stories that go into it a little more

Nice I'll look for those, and also see how it plays out in this book before I go digging.

Thanks for the responses.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Outgunned is pretty good thus far. Although it's funny that an Imperium propagandist was surprised he didn't have the whole story about a war zone (mainly that the Orks do not, in fact, fly weird ramshackle wooden planes).

I posted about it a while back. I discuss the big reveal a bit, but spoilered it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Arc Hammer posted:

Tallarn are more Fremen by way of Bedouin and 1917 BEF troopers.

The best way to portray Fremen was the Necromunda Van Saar, but the newer ones are a bit too hypertech now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Well the idea of female space marines becomes a little more complex with this information. re, implanting balls, trans human.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

bagrada posted:

I'm also about 2/3rds of the way through it and I agree it's pretty good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

somethings arnt worth dying for.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MariusLecter posted:

Well the idea of female space marines becomes a little more complex with this information. re, implanting balls, trans human.

:hmmorks:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/11/02/wrap-yourself-up-in-words-with-christmas-releases-from-black-library/

This week's Black Library reveals is mostly a bunch of anthologies due for the christmas season.

The main stand out being Da Gobbo’s Demise by Denny Flowers.

Two of the anthologies got revealed on sunday as they go up for pre-order on saturday.
What is worth pointing out perhaps is the author lists.

For Only War: Stories from the 41st Millennium we have, outside the usual stable of BL writers, a couple of newcomers in Maria Haskins and Cameron Johnston.
Haskins has written plenty of short fiction, and wrote the short story The jagged Edge in 2020 for BL.
Meanwhile Johnson got a Dragon Awards nomination for their book The Traitor God back in 2018, and has previous written the short story Faith In Iron about the Iron Hands.

For Conquest Unbound: Stories from the Mortal Realms we have Adrian Tchaikovsky and newcomer Rhuairidh James, who seemingly has moved in from working at the WarCom site to become a freelance BL writer instead.

The only new anthology in this case is Heirs of The Emperor.

Even if new is not entirely correct. As it is a collection of past Primarch anthologies Blood of the Emperor, Scions of the Emperor and Sons of the Emperor, alongside five new stories.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Another Gobbo book is awesome, I loved the revenge novella.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I should definitely try find those Gobbo stories someday. The character is just such a weird thing for GW to decide to resurect from nowhere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
2 and 11 deleted properly drat

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
For Christmas I'd want to make an anthology of Sanguinala-themed stories.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I kinda wish that art had two defaced symbols for II and XI. Or blank shields with the numbers on.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shockeh posted:

I kinda wish that art had two defaced symbols for II and XI. Or blank shields with the numbers on.

Art exists to be defaced my friend. Be the change you want in the world

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

So did they wake up a bunch of menials and have them recarve every thing on Terra that shows the Legion symbols, and did they execute them afterwards?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Does the Emperor poo poo on his Throne?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Siivola posted:

Does the Emperor poo poo on his Throne?

What do you think the ammunition for Grey Knight Psi weapons is made from?

radlum
May 13, 2013
Has anyone read Awakenings? I’m always interested in reading about other inquisitors and my FLGS has it on stock

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

radlum posted:

Has anyone read Awakenings? I’m always interested in reading about other inquisitors and my FLGS has it on stock

Yes, I enjoyed it. Make sure you read the prequel comics first because it's the original story of that inquisitor and the book picks up where they left off. I made a post about it earlier in the thread you can find. There are 3 (4?) series each with four comics and you can read them for free on readallcomics.com Doesn't take long.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

What do you think the ammunition for Grey Knight Psi weapons is made from?
His tears. They explain this pretty regularly.

His poop is what makes nova cannons shells.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

His tears. They explain this pretty regularly.

His poop is what makes nova cannons shells.

The rear end that launched a thousand shells.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Emperor's farts are jarred to make the Culexus Psykout grenades too

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Brendan Rodgers posted:

So did they wake up a bunch of menials and have them recarve every thing on Terra that shows the Legion symbols, and did they execute them afterwards?

In the climax to Carrion Throne, the protag inquisitor finds himself deep in the bowels of the palace and sees depictions of the holy primarchs, then asks out loud "Why are there 18 of them?"

So they missed a few.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MariusLecter posted:

In the climax to Carrion Throne, the protag inquisitor finds himself deep in the bowels of the palace and sees depictions of the holy primarchs, then asks out loud "Why are there 18 of them?"

So they missed a few.

They didn't purge the traitor legions from the records.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Carrion Throne implies otherwise pretty heavily

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
My impression is knowledgeable people obviously know traitor marines exist and that at least one primarch rebelled but would have no idea half of the whole primarch roster turned at once.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

So they missed a few.

Pretty sure he says 20

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Benagain posted:

Pretty sure he says 20

Yeah. i vividly remember him seeing 20 statues

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Benagain posted:

Pretty sure he says 20

I don't have my copy anymore to double check. OKAY.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

0konner posted:

My impression is knowledgeable people obviously know traitor marines exist and that at least one primarch rebelled but would have no idea half of the whole primarch roster turned at once.

IIRC Carrion Throne or another book says that the average person knows about the loyal primarchs while the traitor primarchs aren't known at all and Horus is a generic devil figure, not specifically a rebellious primarch. It's important to remember how ignorant the average 40k schlubb is. Characters in the novels tend towards being much more in the know than the average person

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It also happened 10 thousand years ago. Which is a very very long time.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
the Bequin books also make it sound like there is a bit of a class division in how the heresy is taught

the nobility have an epic poem about the fall of the traitor primarchs (in which the role of chaos is carefully talked around) while the common folk only know the 9 loyal primarchs and may or may not know of Horus as a Satan figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

euphronius posted:

It also happened 10 thousand years ago. Which is a very very long time.

AnEdgelord posted:

the Bequin books also make it sound like there is a bit of a class division in how the heresy is taught

the nobility have an epic poem about the fall of the traitor primarchs (in which the role of chaos is carefully talked around) while the common folk only know the 9 loyal primarchs and may or may not know of Horus as a Satan figure

That the imperium has been able to keep this level of propaganda going for 10k years without going completely bonkers with the telephone game is pretty amazing.