Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Is there some horrible flaw to the Kitchenaid stand mixer that is $100 off right now?

the only flaw is your discipline to not make impulse buys

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Is there some horrible flaw to the Kitchenaid stand mixer that is $100 off right now?

The flaw is you’re never going to use that loving thing. Cheap refurb models are like an evergreen item on Overstock.com

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Link? I paid $250 or $300 for the pro version (lift, NOT tilt) last year. Directly from kitchen aid around Christmas time. Only the red color was on sale, all other colors were $5-600. The tilt version has plastic gears and supposedly can struggle with bread doughs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, KitchenAid is cheaping out on the internals.

There's also a dude that sells a rubber grommet that goes in the tilt-model's neck to serve as a stabilizer because KitchenAid removed that to save money too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FilthyImp posted:

There's also a dude that sells a rubber grommet that goes in the tilt-model's neck to serve as a stabilizer because KitchenAid removed that to save money too.

We got the costco pro model as a wedding gift a few years ago, and yeah I gotta say I'm disappointed with it. Just lots of little things. The attachments don't go low enough even after adjusting it to the max setting so it doesn't handle small batches well, and you hear it struggling with pizza dough which is pretty much the only thing we use it for.

Also the directions say the attachments are top rack dishwasher safe. This is a lie. Don't do it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I got BOSE QC45 headphones that were rebranded as "SE" at costco. Only difference as far as I can tell is that it comes in a cheap soft case instead of the hard case Bose's products typically come in. Do they cheap out on the internals for headsets or am I safe to treat these as normal 45s?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The KitchenAid thing is a product-wide issue. Not really a "let's sell the poo poo one at Costco" issue.

You should be fine with the headphones.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kitchenaid always does sales on their mixers around Black Friday so the price drop doesn't mean it's a fire sale or anything, just a regular discount they always do.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Buy the kitchen aid.

It's useful for even day to day shift like

Potatoes, cookies brownie mixing, making omelettes,, even making burgers nice and mixed (not too much they get tough)

I love my 2 kitchen aids to death

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

First time going to my 'Co right at opening time. It's so quiet and empty...like some sort of dream.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Renegret posted:

We got the costco pro model as a wedding gift a few years ago, and yeah I gotta say I'm disappointed with it. Just lots of little things. The attachments don't go low enough even after adjusting it to the max setting so it doesn't handle small batches well, and you hear it struggling with pizza dough which is pretty much the only thing we use it for.

Also the directions say the attachments are top rack dishwasher safe. This is a lie. Don't do it.

This is exactly what I don't want to hear: the intended use is indeed pizza dough, and I have heard whispers about the plastic gears stripping and general cheaping-out.

Also I would rather die than face the crowds at my impacted Costco's black friday, I am planning on loading up the flat cart to last until after new years, gently caress that noise.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I don't know what kind of dry rear end pizza dough y'all are making, but my kitchen aid does just fine with the mixing and kneading on the correct setting. I always do the very end of kneading by hand because you can feel it when it moves from tiny lumps to smooth and elastic.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

This is exactly what I don't want to hear: the intended use is indeed pizza dough, and I have heard whispers about the plastic gears stripping and general cheaping-out.

Also I would rather die than face the crowds at my impacted Costco's black friday, I am planning on loading up the flat cart to last until after new years, gently caress that noise.

Don't get me wrong, it gets the job done. And it's made a quad batch of pizza dough 1-2 times a month for the past 5 years with no loss of performance. it's just that you just hear it struggling.

Honestly my bigger problem is just the poor fit of the attachments. If I want to whip up a small batch of whipped cream or egg whites, sometimes I need to get it started myself because there's not enough contact with the whisk.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The single plastic gear is a deliberate failsafe, to die to prevent the entire motor from dying.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Trip report: COVID booster + emergency tire repair + a full cart + slice of cheese pizza + hit dog + refill.

I feel like a million dollars.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Smugworth posted:

You sound like the kind of person that orders boneless with ranch at a wing joint

Guess what the Costco food court used to serve

Owned binch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I ordered Kirkland socks and white undershirts from Costco.com

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pershing posted:

Trip report: COVID booster + emergency tire repair + a full cart + slice of cheese pizza + hit dog + refill.

I feel like a million dollars.

this guy costcos

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I mix my red jar Costco peanut butter with my kitchen-aid paddle, then scrape with a funnel back into the jar. Fuuuuck knife mixing a separated peanut butter

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Kitchen-Aid gear chat:
So, based on this site, all Kitchen-Aid mixers (except for Classic) have metal gears (especially the worm gear).
https://momsbakingco.com/kitchenaid-mixer-gears/

But what I'm curious about is the difference between the Pro and the Professional lines (why would you name them like that?? Nintendo level naming right there).
I have the Artisan that I got over 15 years ago and it has handled all the dough (and soooo many batches of marshmallows at 12 minutes on high speed each) I've thrown at it. It is definitely showing it's age (head jumps around for Reasons(tm) no matter what I do) but I am lusting for a bowl lift model. Y'all talking about the poor fitting of the attachments makes me a bit sad.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’ve heard, annecdotally, that as you go with bigger mixers, they just have a harder time handling small batch/volume jobs.

If you’re making enough “stuff” in your mixer that you need a bigger pro one/lift bowl model, you can probably afford a cheap handheld mixer for small jobs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
My boyfriend got the Costco moderna bivalent covid vaccine with me before we traveled, and he caught covid for the first time 2 weeks later. He only noticed because we took tests after traveling and he was red hot multiple times. No symptoms whatsoever for weeks now, no cough, no sniffles, late 30's, didn't give it to me.

Costco is Life.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I mix my red jar Costco peanut butter with my kitchen-aid paddle, then scrape with a funnel back into the jar. Fuuuuck knife mixing a separated peanut butter

I've been using a chop stick.

Push the chopstick in at the edge, push it to the center of the jar, pull the chopstick out, rotate the jar a bit and repeat.

In 15 seconds, everything is mixed nicely and the chopstick doesn't hold onto too much peanut butter.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Renegret posted:

For small things in there I just unscrew the bowl a little on my vintage Kitchen aid. Can you lift the bowl up slightly?

Also small batches of things don't really require the stand mixer and I wouldn't bother getting mine out and dirty. Mine lives in the pantry and comes out for mixing bread dough. Not for kneading bread dough though, I don't knead my stuff very much. And I make pizza dough in a food processor anyway.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

StormDrain posted:

For small things in there I just unscrew the bowl a little on my vintage Kitchen aid. Can you lift the bowl up slightly?

Also small batches of things don't really require the stand mixer and I wouldn't bother getting mine out and dirty. Mine lives in the pantry and comes out for mixing bread dough. Not for kneading bread dough though, I don't knead my stuff very much. And I make pizza dough in a food processor anyway.

Shouldn’t be fidgeting with the JUNK!!!!!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

My boyfriend got the Costco moderna bivalent covid vaccine with me before we traveled, and he caught covid for the first time 2 weeks later. He only noticed because we took tests after traveling and he was red hot multiple times. No symptoms whatsoever for weeks now, no cough, no sniffles, late 30's, didn't give it to me.

Costco is Life.

Have you noticed any pericarditis or changes in his fertility?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I inherited the tilt-head KitchenAid that my mom got as a wedding gift in 1972. She used it almost every day until gifting it to me about 20 years ago once she finally upgraded to a more professional model. I only use it once a week, but it still works like a champ.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My gf has a tilt head and its fine but it's just barely too small to do two loaves of bread at once by most recipes so it's a worthless piece of poo poo to me. Fine for the stuff she does though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

I inherited the tilt-head KitchenAid that my mom got as a wedding gift in 1972. She used it almost every day until gifting it to me about 20 years ago once she finally upgraded to a more professional model. I only use it once a week, but it still works like a champ.

Yeah my partner got her grandmother's and this thing is a tank

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Have you noticed any pericarditis or changes in his fertility?

I have

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

My gf has a tilt head and its fine

:eyepop:

Hooks
Aug 26, 2007

He'll save children, but not the British children
Fun Shoe

My favorite drink is half off? I guess that means I'm buying two. Also, the Utah mint chocolates are amazing. PBUC

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hooks posted:

My favorite drink is half off? I guess that means I'm buying two. Also, the Utah mint chocolates are amazing. PBUC

Those cases look quite small, i'd buy 4.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are we into full holiday season mode at Costco now? It's 3:30 in the afternoon on the Thursday and it's packed like a Saturday morning.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Pros hit church at 8 PM on a weekday.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SirPablo posted:

Pros hit church at 8 PM on a weekday.

Closin' Costco down on a Friday night is my favorite. Grab some goodies and cold ones for the weekend, snag something at the foodcourt to take home for dinner. Sets the vibe.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Do you happen to have a link for that? My partner has a tilt-model.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

iroc.dis posted:

Do you happen to have a link for that? My partner has a tilt-model.

https://www.mrmixer.store/store

He also has a TikTok channel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You all told me the innerspring mattresses were in the back of the Costco! They don't have poo poo! It's foam all the way down, this sucks!