Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's a couple printed ones from the designer but it doesn't have a mini yet. Which is good for me because I don't know if I could afford that much in metal minis right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

This is because it jumps 7. The Jade Phoenix A is a killer of men and mechs and there is no mech in the game that can reliably 1v1 it regardless of BV. If the skills are BV matched there might be two mechs in the game that even fight it to a standstill.

Oh I didn't realize that the A was the really good one. I guess I know how to pick them

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There is not a bad Jade Phoenix (my personal favorite is the C) but the A is actually the kind of mech that generations of BattleTech players have insisted the big bad Clan bogeymechs are. No flaws only dead opponents.

It's extremely well designed but it's also possible ti play it badly, and playing it very well is still difficult and involves a lot of important choices. Despite being as sickeningly good as it is I would not call it boring.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Strobe posted:

There's a couple printed ones from the designer but it doesn't have a mini yet. Which is good for me because I don't know if I could afford that much in metal minis right now.

Is that the SirMortimerBombito one?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It also provides another reason for Mechwarriors to hate it (anything that penetrates the front armor is penetrating the Mechwarrior too)

I need to listen to my "why does this joke seem so familiar" sense

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Floppychop posted:

Is that the SirMortimerBombito one?

No (apologies for a Facebook link, of all things)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid025tsvdkMhgt3AYqySfF8XsaMYWKD7HMZuU2cYr2TF8UNCEupkecnR5Nno2ZYTGAgml&id=126868954639130

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

xposting from painting thread. First lance of actual minis for BT.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Imperfect, but done. Bases intentionally left bare. Just happy to have a finished force for any game at all so I can go down to my LGS again.

I think the Spider came out as my favorite.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I know it being 10mm shows a lot more detail, but drat that's a good looking mini.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SkyeAuroline posted:

xposting from painting thread. First lance of actual minis for BT.

Always glad to see another person with the grit and determination needed to paint hazard stripes! The scheme works really well overall (I get an 80s cartoon villain feel from it overall, which I'm meaning as a sincere compliment). I really like what you did for those PPC lenses-- what is your recipe for those?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

lilljonas posted:

OTOH, I'd imagine in universe it'd be a great camouflage idea to paint your thickest bit of head armour to look like a canopy. :P

In MWO I've got multiple 'mechs with a giant bullseye painted on not the cockpit bit of the head. It seems to work okay.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fearless posted:

Always glad to see another person with the grit and determination needed to paint hazard stripes! The scheme works really well overall (I get an 80s cartoon villain feel from it overall, which I'm meaning as a sincere compliment). I really like what you did for those PPC lenses-- what is your recipe for those?

Thank you! I've gotten both "GI Joe villain" and "Decepticon" reactions so fast, so it's definitely selling the 80s vibe. The hazard stripes were obligatory, I'm an IW player for Warhammer, lol.

The PPC lenses are just Aethermatic Blue contrast over ProAcryl Titanium White. I did the same on the exposed cooling ribs on the Thug for a plasma esque effect, though it doesn't really show in the pictures above.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Warning to anyone that ends up on parts of Battletech social media. Apparently the chuds are losing their poo poo that the Rommel isn't getting a new model in the kickstarter but the Patton is. It's also reignited the Pardoe arguments in some circles.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I did Nazi this coming.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Floppychop posted:

Warning to anyone that ends up on parts of Battletech social media. Apparently the chuds are losing their poo poo that the Rommel isn't getting a new model in the kickstarter but the Patton is. It's also reignited the Pardoe arguments in some circles.

Wait, but don't they use the exact same model???

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Floppychop posted:

:cripes:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rorahusky posted:

Wait, but don't they use the exact same model???

Yep, only difference is weapons. One has an AC/10 and the other an AC/20.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
They’re not even battlemechs!!!,!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Floppychop posted:

Lol I was just today looking at Youtube, and since I've watched some of the flagship channels like Black Pants Legion I've been gradually recommended smaller channels. "Oh, a video about gatekeeping, sounds interesting".

Que a video about how gatekeeping in general is bad, and the Battletech community should not be too harsh against new players coming in from 40K, but the online social justice warrior conspiracy are just looking for their next target now that they ruined Star Wars and Star Trek for everyone. And be careful because they've ruined 40K too now, so it's just a matter of time before they come after Battletech!

Jesus Christ if you've been crucified for your politics in the 40K community in 2022 you must have been AT LEAST openly borderline nazi.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ugh, I encountered that one too. Went from reasonable to OH gently caress NO so damned quickly.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Floppychop posted:

Honest question, since I never play CBT and neither tank ever made it into clix; is the Rommel a better tank than the Patton? Do people prefer to use it? I mean there has to be a bazillion tanks out there, I know the Rommel and Patton were two of the first, but do people actually really like the tank? I don't feel like people would've cared if a Banshee mini hadn't been made, because its a poop mech.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They're very similar except for slight differences in armament. The outrage over Rommel getting snubbed for a model is a neo-Nazi/alt-right culture war thing by people who may not even use tanks in their games or even play BattleTech

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Rommel has an AC/20 whereas the Patton has a 10 and more armor. I wouldn't say either is necessarily better or worse, they just have different strengths.

They are some of the better tanks from the era, but that is absolutely not the point of them flipping their poo poo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Did Catalyst release a list of their planned tanks somewhere?

It's a loving stupid argument by internet Nazis anyway. The Patton and Rommel are visually identical.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 3, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That has got to be the dumbest possible hill to die on

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's the kind of people that they are

Defiance Industries posted:

The Rommel has an AC/20 whereas the Patton has a 10 and more armor. I wouldn't say either is necessarily better or worse, they just have different strengths.

They are some of the better tanks from the era, but that is absolutely not the point of them flipping their poo poo.

They're both bad peopletanks.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did Catalyst release a list of their planned tanks somewhere?

It's a loving stupid argument by internet Nazis anyway. The Patton and Rommel are visually identical.

One of the designers tweeted/posted concept art of a Patton, someone on the official forums asked if the Rommel was getting new art too, some CGL person replied ”never, you know why and this doesn’t need to be discussed” and then the morons went off.

IF they wanted to avoid this exact thing, which they must have known would happen, they could’ve said ”we decided to fold the Rommel into the Patton as a variant to streamline things” and that probably would’ve been enough - apart for the most idiotic few.

What a dumb shitass argument

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Floppychop posted:

:sickos:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

a cyborg mug posted:

IF they wanted to avoid this exact thing, which they must have known would happen, they could’ve said ”we decided to fold the Rommel into the Patton as a variant to streamline things” and that probably would’ve been enough - apart for the most idiotic few.

What a dumb shitass argument

Telling Nazis (who likely don't play the game but are just stirring poo poo) to gently caress off now so they can move on to their next manufactured "outrage" before the kickstarter rolls out might not be a terrible idea.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Telling Nazis (who likely don't play the game but are just stirring poo poo) to gently caress off now so they can move on to their next manufactured "outrage" before the kickstarter rolls out might not be a terrible idea.

100% absolutely! That’s why I wrote ”if” in all caps, my assumption was they did intend to tell them to gently caress off and not try to avoid this.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I don't think it is possible for someone who is trying to engage with the world in good faith to anticipate the next round of bullshit from grievance-addicted shitheels, who fundamentally aren't.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There's a battle tech event late this month using the agoac rules at 5000 BV, nothing past 3049. I'm thinking of going because it'd be fun to play some games at a newbie friendly ruleset but 3 2-hour games in a day sounds like a long intro to the game

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

As I'm catching up with the Mechs y'all are talking about and looking at the new TROs, I guess zombie Mechs are the new hotness?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Always have been.

The new armor and structure types help line 'Mechs do their jobs against the Clan weapons that don't have downsides, and the more turns they last, the more overall damage they'll contribute to the force.

Inner Sphere XL engine damage dealers still have a niche as fire support, but Clan XLs will eventually replace them too

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 4, 2022

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The definition of "zombie" is pretty fluid, apparently. I've only ever heard it used for standard engine mechs with all energy weapons. Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple that fit the bill in the Recognition Guides and neither of them have really been talked about in here yet. (A couple Regent configs, Inferno R, Black Knight 18)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That is the definition, but I was humoring the general notion that new ways to make 'Mechs more resilient are actually being canonized in new machines and their variants

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Finished this Devastator while things were quiet this evening:

After that I have a Griffin to do and I think I am done with hazard stripes for a while.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Has Battletech had any LGBT viewpoint characters yet? Some of the early stuff had some I guess-not-too-surprising-for-the-'80s homophobia but how far has the setting actually progressed in this regard?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's an extremely gay Star Captain in Redemption Rites that gets a POV section of a chapter. It rules.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Carbolic posted:

Has Battletech had any LGBT viewpoint characters yet? Some of the early stuff had some I guess-not-too-surprising-for-the-'80s homophobia but how far has the setting actually progressed in this regard?

Didn't the Aidan Pryde novels have some throwaway line about Joanna coupling (ie, raping) female cadets and male ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

Has Battletech had any LGBT viewpoint characters yet?

Hanse Davion and Ardan Sortek.