Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Private Speech posted:

I have a tp-link one from amazon and it's okay.

I need tp-link for my bunghole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Private Speech posted:

I have a tp-link one from amazon and it's okay.

nice I’ll grab one ♥️

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

cowboy beepboop posted:

is there a good usb bluetooth adapter

my "targus" thing disconnects all the time

it's spelt "taargüs"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNl5qjvKbs4

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

*nodding wisely*

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
my isp did "something" and sent me an email a couple days ago that I am being upgraded to 300mbs

since then, my internet connection has been really lovely. specifically it seems like every download does nothing for like half a second before downloading quickly

is there some grognard commandline thing i can run to test this that I can then send to the isp with my complaint?

i think one of y'all just did this not to long ago but I can't remember enough specifics to search for it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

spectrum? i received the same email recently after going through some modem issues myself

this is anecdotal advice based on my experience, but have you tried a full power cycle and reset, or reassociation with your account?

i had to reassociate mine for other reasons and they (coincidentally?) did the upgrade around the the time. i thought i'd unlocked some new tier by accident with one weird service call trick lol

in your case, you might not need the call; i had an issue with old hardware being associated that kept me from completing a web browser wizard. i needed a support associate to tap a few keys to clear the old hardware and allow the current modem to go through

incidentally, my pi-holes got in the way of the isp registration portal's rerouting, which added an unexpected wrinkle to the process. you may have to accept spectrum's dns servers until you clear the registration wizard

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Thats interesting, cause I had something similar happen to me earlier this summer. Connections to websites or whatever would take like 500ms to establish, but then they'd work. I figured the modem was overheating cause it was like 90 and the modem was trapped in a cabinet that was probably 100+. I pulled it out of the cabinet and it seemed to go away, but my ISP (also spectrum) upgraded me from 400 to 600, so idk maybe something else was going on. It works fine now, though.

So maybe it was them loving w/ something as part of the upgrade or maybe it was my modem overheating and the upgrade was just a coincidence or maybe the upgrade made the modem hotter than it normally runs? Idk. I'd say maybe check if your modem is overheating and if not just get a replacement. If you dont want to wait for a truck you can just go grab one from your local office.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

yup spectrum! maybe there's some kind of warm-up period for routing or something when they make a big change. Seems to have gone away now so I guess I'm good :waycool:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

it persisted after the reset of modem and router but not for much longer after that. I'm still getting on the order of 100 (actually 85) instead of the newly promised 300 but i honestly don't care at all. 100 was plenty as long as i don't have weird satellite-like loading delays anymore

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
usb is being a pos lately

seemingly at random, all of my usb accessories will just die and refuse to be revived. they work fine if i reboot (have to do it with the power button, since i got no other inputs) and the windows event log has a message that goes like this:

quote:

Windows failed to start the USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller for the following reason:
Controller reset timed out. Check with your computer manufacturer for an updated firmware for the controller.

with no further information. this computer has no less than four xhci controllers from three different manufacturers (one intel, two asmedia - one of which is for the case front panel - and one nvidia one for the usb-c stuff on the gpu). which loving one are you talking about, microsoft?!?

then again it seems like the entire usb subsystem dies because i've not been able to find a port that does work when this happens, so i don't loving know. the front panel ports have been weird and flaky for a while now but i just chalked that up to lovely wiring and/or a damaged connector. front panel ports aren't exactly known for being sturdy.

attempting to google this yields a lot of linux patches and some completely useless technet answers. maybe the motherboard is just dying, i guess it's actually almost five years old although it still feels new to me.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 26, 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
select the device that is errored in device manager and then go to view -> devices by connection and it will show you the full USB connection path back to the controller. that will atleast tell you which controller is hosed, but if you busted a port its not really gonna help

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shaggar posted:

select the device that is errored in device manager and then go to view -> devices by connection and it will show you the full USB connection path back to the controller. that will atleast tell you which controller is hosed, but if you busted a port its not really gonna help

i can't figure out a way to do that because when this happens all usb devices on all ports just die so i have no input devices whatsoever, so i can't get into the device manager. i've tried moving stuff around to different ports but i'm not 100% sure which ones are managed by which controller and so far i haven't been able to find any that work when this happens. the only way i can get my input back is by rebooting via the power switch, and that solves the problem so there's no errored device in the device manager anymore. all that remains is the reset event in the event viewer that doesn't tell me a device path, or anything at all really

it's happened twice in the last two days, last time before that was maybe a week ago, if it happens again i'll try every single port on the entire system

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 27, 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ah. you could check your bios and see if there are errors in there or if you can disable some of the controllers you could try disabling them one at a time to see which one is the culprit. i had problems with an asmedia controller on this mobo (from 2016) that i fixed with a driver update, but i never had it just blowing up all my usb devices.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

use linux, you'll get better error messages

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i had a laptop that disabled usb like that and turning off windows 10's "also make usb devices sleep" setting fixed it

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Corla Plankun posted:

i had a laptop that disabled usb like that and turning off windows 10's "also make usb devices sleep" setting fixed it

I appreciate it's an Intel machine, but this is what fixed my Ryzen PC shutting off USB ports for no reason.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Corla Plankun posted:

where is that? I have usb selective suspend off in the power plan settings already

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
no better place to ask this: What do your companies do for phone or tablet replacement?

trying to come up with a replacement policy for company phones and tablets (we issue iPhones and iPads). I want to make it really simple, like laptops which are 48 months or until the battery is hosed. The idea was warranty and battery issues creep up on Lenovos past four years.

so with Apple devices something like 48 months (for security updates)?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hed posted:

no better place to ask this: What do your companies do for phone or tablet replacement?

trying to come up with a replacement policy for company phones and tablets (we issue iPhones and iPads). I want to make it really simple, like laptops which are 48 months or until the battery is hosed. The idea was warranty and battery issues creep up on Lenovos past four years.

every place ive worked at has a "at 2 years we swap your device, at 3 years we swap it and you keep the old one" policy

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Hed posted:

my boss is cheap as poo poo so i have to buy all my own poo poo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

plugging it into a classified system oughta do it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
for the usb thing: i had a similar problem with a sarnsung chomebook a while back and posted about it, the trackpad kept cutting out or just kept going nuts and i couldn't figure out why

so i popped it open and it turned out that a piece of conductive tape sarnsung was apparently using as ground kept losing its adhesive. this is apparently a known problem with WONTFIX that caused a $2000 chromebook (lol) to plummet to a $300 firesale

since it seemed to be just for ground i just put some regular tape on top of the original. works fine

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hed posted:

i have an old iPhone SE that i got as my work phone in early 2017 and last i checked it's still getting security updates. idk what the ipads are like in that regard but i bet they're also relatively long-lived at least as far as support goes. i don't think you have to worry about a 2 year refresh cycle for apple devices, at least not out of security concerns.

the company i work at has typically set two years as the minimum interval between upgrades, in significant part because we had two year contracts on the lines, so renewing the contract was when the line was eligible for a subsidized replacement again. generally the company pays for the first $150 of the cost (which IIRC usually covers the base model of last year's iphones) and if the employee wants a fancier phone (a shocking proportion just use the company phone as their personal phone here) they can pay the difference in cost out of pocket and then the phone itself belongs to them.

but that said, we didn't reach out to people as they hit the two year mark, and a decent chunk of folks would keep on truckin to three years or even longer on the same phone, so we could generally do "buddy upgrades" to cover folks who dropped their phone in a lake or something.

what works best for your company will definitely be informed at least in part by the deal they have with whatever phone carrier they use. is there any device subsidy? does your company do any kind of contract commitment or is it all month-to-month?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in fastly's salad days we would have the option to swap for a new phone and laptop (though, last year's model) every 2 years, and if we made it 3 we got to keep the old device. that was a pretty good pace

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
how can I find a business that still works on printers? I have an HP workgroup color laser that is completely worthless for color printing ever since I bought some cheap toner from SA Mart. Red prints as pink.

the thing has genuine toner in it now but still prints hosed up colors. I think it needs its guts cleaned or smth idk.

do I need to look in my metro for someone that can service this thing?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

probably needs a drum

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd add some bass as well

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's only printing wingdings so i think we're good on cymbals

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hed posted:

how can I find a business that still works on printers? I have an HP workgroup color laser that is completely worthless for color printing ever since I bought some cheap toner from SA Mart. Red prints as pink.

the thing has genuine toner in it now but still prints hosed up colors. I think it needs its guts cleaned or smth idk.

do I need to look in my metro for someone that can service this thing?

(decent quality office) printers are one of the few modern products that are still explicitly serviceable. so many doors and access panels and replaceable parts, and lots of suppliers of said parts too. you can probably look up the service manual online and have exactly the same information that the guy you take it to will have. then you google the part numbers and find them all over amazon and ebay, usually with a remanufactured or 90% as good knockoff for like 1/3 the price.

or you can just take it to a guy. yes, printer service is still a business that exists if you're in a decent sized city

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

what does a bad PSU do to a computer?

i have a ~8 year old win7 desktop that started doing this weird revving thing the other day: if i send power to it (e.g. turn on the PSU) it immediately lights up and spins up the fans like it is turning on, but then everything dies about a second later. And it will just keep doing this over and over again until i cut the power.

Its been behind a surge protector and i dont think there were any storms during the period where this problem originated, but this issue seems like a hardware thing since it doesn''t seem to get even remotely close to booting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ATX power supply testers are like 10-15 bucks and will show you all the rails. granted this will be a no-load situation but it'll both let you test it with the mobo disconnected (in case there's a shorted regulator or cap on the motherboard) and give you the rail voltages to quickly see if the +12 line is out or whatever.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Corla Plankun posted:

what does a bad PSU do to a computer?

i have a ~8 year old win7 desktop that started doing this weird revving thing the other day: if i send power to it (e.g. turn on the PSU) it immediately lights up and spins up the fans like it is turning on, but then everything dies about a second later. And it will just keep doing this over and over again until i cut the power.

Its been behind a surge protector and i dont think there were any storms during the period where this problem originated, but this issue seems like a hardware thing since it doesn''t seem to get even remotely close to booting

that is indeed what a bad psu looks like. at least, one of the ways it can go. 8 years is long enough for it to have just died for no good reason, especially if it's a prebuilt computer using who knows what parts instead of a premium power supply. but even then, after 8 years all bets are off.

yeah you can fully diagnose it like jonny said, but if you have another psu to try i bet it will fire right up

if it doesnt, it could be the motherboard or something, but that seems a lot less likely to me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i set up a FOR INSERT db trigger in sql server to fire off an email whenever someone submits a submission to a gis-based survey. works great for the initial submission but to my surprise the fucker fires again when i change a field value in the newly-created feature—no geometry change. for some reason sql server sees that as an insert when I assumed it’d be treated as an update. anyone deal with this behavior before?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
oh fuk. looks like maybe this is how it always works. gently caress.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

holy poo poo welcome back beep!!!

also im no DBA but a SQL trigger which sends an email sounds crazy :P

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

holy poo poo welcome back beep!!!

also im no DBA but a SQL trigger which sends an email sounds crazy :P

lol. hi, garbo. I’m no dba either but someone had a serious lapse in judgment and gave me admin rights to the instance. mega fail on their part.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

regarding the whole db mail thing, I’m sure there’s a better way to do this but the functionality is there and relatively straightforward (except for this bullshit)

I’m wondering if i can include an if statement to run the trigger based on the default status value being present. that way when it’s toggled from “Open” to “In Progress” the trigger won’t fire again. the hard part there is getting the trigger to look for that value right at insert. maybe i change the trigger from FOR INSERT to AFTER INSERT? i need to get it to so that it can check for that value.

idk. idk!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

could you just not bother, and filter those mails?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Are users directly putting things in the db?? i feel like u would do this sort of thing on the app level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

President Beep posted:

lol. hi, garbo. I’m no dba either but someone had a serious lapse in judgment and gave me admin rights to the instance. mega fail on their part.

that's always how it starts: someone gives you a username+password and it's all downhill from there.