Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think the Shield Generator was as of Sym 2.0, right? and you could pick between either the tele or the generator

Yeah true, shield generator came later. I mainly miss the shield eating homing lawmower laser instead of the sad little laser pointer she has now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Learning how to play a dps is rough. Sorry, unranked teammates. Growing pains.

Watching gameplay and coaching videos is definitely helping though.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

This game loving sucks still God drat. Uninstalled it again. I've never been better at it and never been more chilled out when I'm playing than I am currently and the game just still stinks on a fundamental level. the game distracts you from just how bad it is with skins and rankings and ratings so you worry about all that poo poo instead of the actual game play, which, again, isn't good. They tricked me for about 35 hours of overwatch 2 but I didn't spend a dime. They purposely deflated the ranks so you spend more time grinding to where you "should" be.

It sucks unbelievably bad to kill three people on Zen, get POTG, and still lose the fight because your tank is playing Roadhog into sombra/ana/zen and has showed no interest in swapping off. Even playing it in a five stack just ends with our friends getting ornery with each other. Basically the highs of this game are nowhere near as high as the lows are low.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is why it "should be" sloppy 12 v 12 TF3 and not FPS DOTA but it isn't, never will be, and wanting it to be will just make you miserable.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

This game loving sucks still God drat. Uninstalled it again. I've never been better at it and never been more chilled out when I'm playing than I am currently and the game just still stinks on a fundamental level. the game distracts you from just how bad it is with skins and rankings and ratings so you worry about all that poo poo instead of the actual game play, which, again, isn't good. They tricked me for about 35 hours of overwatch 2 but I didn't spend a dime. They purposely deflated the ranks so you spend more time grinding to where you "should" be.

It sucks unbelievably bad to kill three people on Zen, get POTG, and still lose the fight because your tank is playing Roadhog into sombra/ana/zen and has showed no interest in swapping off. Even playing it in a five stack just ends with our friends getting ornery with each other. Basically the highs of this game are nowhere near as high as the lows are low.

I know its weird, but i don't give a gently caress about skins or ratings or whatever except for a chuckle, and I just love the core OW gameplay. I've played it for a competitive match or two most days since launch. I don't get why people get so deep in their feelings about it.

It's just a dumb fast paced cartoony thing with a decent level of competition and nuance.

headcase fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 3, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Isn't what they're complaining about entirely the gameplay? They mention good individual play invalidated by poor teammates match ups, nothing about skins, grinds, and real money transactions?

Edit - I mean they mention skins, but only in the sense that they're a distraction from bad gameplay.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

Isn't what they're complaining about entirely the gameplay? They mention good individual play invalidated by poor teammates match ups, nothing about skins, grinds, and real money transactions?

Edit - I mean they mention skins, but only in the sense that they're a distraction from bad gameplay.

Yes and I am saying that I don't care about anything except the good gameplay. It is specifically what I like. That goes for all heros, and all iterations, and all metas thus far. It's all been a blast.

headcase fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 3, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fair enough, glad you're liking it. When it's right, it's right. I do wish my friends wanted to play. C'mon it's free now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/1588253016553037826?s=46&t=jJfzch6YQamTpoGlca01wA

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Just play mystery heroes with all randos and drop out mid-battle guilt-free every time they annoy you. That's what I do!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

There's also an unranked mode with an open queue variant, lol. If you ever get passive aggressively angry at your friends while playing a game, y'all need to just loving chill lmao. It's a game.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Given the lack of shields I don't see why they had to take away Sym regaining ammo from primary firing on them. I feel like that's an interesting and unique thing in the game they just took away and now she's just a ground based laser-Phara with her right click ZZZZ

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Gameplay is good, if we're talking mechanics, but imo 5v5 was 100% a mistake for the casual player and does make a game where if you have a single teammate just do whatever the gently caress they want (which is common), or they just have an awful game the match is basically lost and almost always makes your performance pointless even if you had the game of your life. Sure 5v5 is good for OWL, easier to follow I imagine, and in the top ranks (above Diamond) where everyone has good game sense and can play well around their team, uses comms a lot etc it's nice and streamlined but it's still miserable when you know if that one player on your team decides to keep going solo on a flank and dying, or goes widow and doesn't land a single headshot, or decides to play dps moira, or chooses the wrong tank, 9/10 you're not going to win that game. In 6v6 one individual player either having a terrible game or just doing whatever they like didnt always mean the game was lost and as the team size gets bigger in these games individual performances matter less, which I think is ultimately what OW should be about.

Essentially I think I'd be having more fun in 6v6. I enjoy OW2 sure but that's because I like the range of heroes, it's varied, mechanically different each time etc so if I get annoyed next game I can jump on a Lucio wall ride and zoom around and that helps keep my mind off the fact my Widow is doing gently caress all, but it still is just papering over the underlining issue I mentioned above. I'm also bitter because I used to love the off-tank roll, and gently caress Blizzard for removing that. And open queue doesnt count, it fucks up the balance even more, 2-2-2 was great.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 3, 2022

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Aexo posted:

Given the lack of shields I don't see why they had to take away Sym regaining ammo from primary firing on them. I feel like that's an interesting and unique thing in the game they just took away and now she's just a ground based laser-Phara with her right click ZZZZ

Because they don't want 'counterplay', ie the one thing that would make the game potentially not stale as far as picks go, to be a thing. Or to be less of a thing, as it is pretty much impossible to completely remove all instances of heroes countering other heroes in the game.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Do we know how unlocking heroes is going to go in the future? Like, Kiriko is going to be unlockable through gameplay, right?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Boxman posted:

Do we know how unlocking heroes is going to go in the future? Like, Kiriko is going to be unlockable through gameplay, right?

Guessing unlock them through the bp, and if you say come back in 2-3 years I imagine the previous seasons ones will just be unlocked for you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
dunno how legit this is but:

https://twitter.com/ZekeFreek/status/1583064676933718017/photo/1

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It'll be like how brand new players have to unlock heroes now, where there's some kinda missions you gotta do or something. So with next season Kiriko will have some associated tasks to unlock her and whatever new hero will be in the BP, either unlocked immediately for premium or a ways in for free.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Just in time to require $9.99 to immediately unlock, too. :allears:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Interestingly, I - a good overwatch player - have been grouped in with bronze 5 players. Largely, it's due to losing a dozen competitive matches, which I obviously had no responsibility for.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I hope not, that poo poo sounds catastrophically boring and I think they want to sell battle passes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
arent the new characters on the free passes tho

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Countblanc posted:

arent the new characters on the free passes tho

At level 55, yes.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Part of the upsell of buying the premium BP is just getting the new hero instantly instead of after a few weeks of grinding. It was less apparent currently because most people are returning players who got Kiriko automatically but going forward we all get to either grind or fork up :10bux:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Part of the upsell of buying the premium BP is just getting the new hero instantly instead of after a few weeks of grinding. It was less apparent currently because most people are returning players who got Kiriko automatically but going forward we all get to either grind or fork up :10bux:

Or go back to playing Apex Legends where it's a lot easier to unlock pretty much all the characters if you play just a little bit.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I just got into trying that game actually but it's my first ever BR so I've been too intimidated to join up with randoms yet.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I just got into trying that game actually but it's my first ever BR so I've been too intimidated to join up with randoms yet.

You can always solo if you want to explore but the map is new so everyone kinda sucks right now.

There's a goon thread and discord for it too I believe.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

You can always solo if you want to explore but the map is new so everyone kinda sucks right now.

There's a goon thread and discord for it too I believe.

Oh. You actually can (sort of) queue solo. Thanks for that it gave me the push to say "gently caress it" and just jump in and see what happened. Makes queues longer but that's fine.

Anyways I did get grouped with 1 rando but they immediately DCed so I was on my own. It was 12 and a half minutes of nothing before I just kinda shot at some people I found and got instantly gibbed for my audacity. Progress!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the OWL is a lot better with a crowd

i love the yells everytime a sojourn hits a random headshot on a healer or enemy sojourn and takes them out before the fight starts

on mauga, i don't like the idea of a once per life buff if that ends up happening. it encourages you to suicide after a fight win on some KOTH maps. they could just disable it resetting when you do that (like mystery heroes), but I still don't like it.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 4, 2022

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Against him? Someone far off that can kill him like Hanzo; far off so you don't get the suicide bomb death.

Which is my favorite way to kill people as Junkrat.

No i play junkrat but i suck so I want to get better.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

This can’t be real he’s basically Montana from Battleborn

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Quotey posted:

the OWL is a lot better with a crowd

:hmmyes:

One of the biggest mistakes OWL made was leaving Los Angeles with real audiences.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hibbloes posted:

This can’t be real he’s basically Montana from Battleborn

ok now i want it to be real

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Oh cool it's Raum. Honestly coming back to OW I'm glad to see that they're not afraid to borrow things back from Paladins since Paladins essentially borrowed their entire game from Overwatch.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh cool it's Raum. Honestly coming back to OW I'm glad to see that they're not afraid to borrow things back from Paladins since Paladins essentially borrowed their entire game from Overwatch.

this still cracks me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2gBkqP4V9Y

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Whoa, did they give Bastion a big nerf in the meanwhile? I picked Bastion this morning just to see how he functions now, got right up to a Hanzo and used the shift turret form to focus fire on him at nearly point-blank range.

It seemed like I barely did any damage to him while he shot me with impunity. The hell? Is there something I'm missing here or is Bastion just trash now? :psyduck:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it can be pretty challenging to track targets in OW and bastion has an absolutely gigantic hitbox and hanzo has a really good burst dps ability

a hanzo near a corner that is tucking back into the corner for every shot also has the advantage on a nearby turreted bastion

also maybe he was being healed or some other insane support ability made him invulnerable

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Bastion's strength is that you turn into a very slow moving large hitbox with a big glaring Shoot Me Here weakpoint in exchange for being able to do normal amounts of DPS damage

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

to be fair, it's probably really hard to actually kill a competent turreting bastion compared to other dps heroes in spite of the massive hitbox

turret tucks the head hitbox and the 100 armor mitigates tons of damage if you're getting heal pocketed, so it can be difficult for the enemy to finish a kill if you play near a corner

ime bastions are the dps players that most hate playing around a corner and prefer flailing stupidly out in the open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Do we know how many endorsments til the next level or is there a xp bar I'm missing?

Need to mathematically see how empathetic I am.

edit: something feels off today and I was messing with a ton of settings yesterday. Can a fellow PC user let me know what their gameplay/mouse settings are? Like internal mouse smoothing wtf?

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 4, 2022