Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

W.T. Fits posted:

Playing your commander from the command zone is treated as casting a spell. Commander tax is an additional cost to cast your commander, so powerstones can't be used to pay for it unless your commander is an artifact.

You are probably right though I could not verify for sure with a quick check in the rules. I remember Thran Turbine being weird back in the day but I may be confusing additional and alternative costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

http://mythicspoiler.com/brw/cards/myrelshieldofargive.html

Another Grand Abolisher for White, albeit at 4cmc and legendary.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Is there an easy way to loop Teferi's protection in white?

Edit: in mono white I guess. I see there is a BW combo but having this in your command zone would simplify things.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 2, 2022

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I wonder what the single card is that most differentiates a deck as being cEDH instead of a regular high power deck. It's probably Chrome Mox or Mox Diamond? Maybe one of the weirder interaction pieces but those are all color restricted.

Mana Crypt costs over $180 in paper and is an optimal choice for literally every deck, without exception. There's decks that can argue no chrome mox due to artifact count, decks without LED combos, and decks where Jeweled Lotus is mostly useless, but until someone invents the deck with no generic costs, Mana Crypt is in it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MasterBuilder posted:

Edit: in mono white I guess. I see there is a BW combo but having this in your command zone would simplify things.

Easy? No. But theoretically, you can keeping looping it with Pull from Eternity/Codex Shredder/The Lithoform Engine/The Peregrine Dynamo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Mana Crypt costs over $180 in paper and is an optimal choice for literally every deck, without exception. There's decks that can argue no chrome mox due to artifact count, decks without LED combos, and decks where Jeweled Lotus is mostly useless, but until someone invents the deck with no generic costs, Mana Crypt is in it.

Yeah but I have Mana Crypt in decks that suck rear end.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Putting Mana Crypt in a deck doesn't make it cEDH.

And even then, there are some decks where you win by taking infinite turns wherein Crypt can theoretically kill you before offing the table. Sol Ring is more an auto-include than Crypt is. Just because Crypt is expensive doesn't change that.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

MasterBuilder posted:

Okay, I gotta ask from a sportsmanship angle, why would you want to do this? If you found a way to TP every turn or whatever I would scoop and probably not play against you.

Edit: that is, if I'm understanding the post and if your entire plan is to just recur TP and phase out so you can't be interacted with.

Heath fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 2, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the closest answer is Kraum and/or Tymna.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Heath posted:

Okay, I gotta ask from a sportsmanship angle, why would you want to do this? If you found a way to TP every turn or whatever I would scoop and probably not play against you.

Edit: that is, if I'm understanding the post and if your entire plan is to just recur TP and phase out so you can't be interacted with.

That gameplan was my first thought and that was before I knew that lethal vapors was a card. Is it the combo that you don't like? Because I can't imagine it's good or even that easy to pull off. And really is it any worse than other storm or instant win card/combo?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

MasterBuilder posted:

You can theoretically skip turns in mono-W with Chronosavant to pull off the same combo, but I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out how much mana and how many cards you need for that combo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

MasterBuilder posted:

That gameplan was my first thought and that was before I knew that lethal vapors was a card. Is it the combo that you don't like? Because I can't imagine it's good or even that easy to pull off. And really is it any worse than other storm or instant win card/combo?

I mean, it isn't good, but it's one of those gameplay tracks that isn't participatory in the game. If your whole effort is devoted to phasing your board out of the game, why even play?

I'm not opposed to the idea of "sticky" decks by any means (that's a strategy I often employ) but one thing I discovered when I made a mono-W "invincibility" deck along similar lines is that it only succeeds in making a bad time for fellow players and drags out games into slogs of attrition because the win state is just sort of default into it by virtue of being too much of a waste of time to play with. (A lot of people feel the same way about chaos, but chaos at least has the benefit of producing funny or interesting results sometimes.)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

It’s worse because it still loses to Thassas Oracle and similar, which also makes it worse in the way you’re talking about. If two other players have alternate wincons then there’s no way you can win unless they both lose those wincons AND the fourth player (who presumably wins through damage or similar) now cannot win no matter what.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Is Angel's Grace just not worth playing in cEDH to prevent someone from winning? It's uncounterable and only costs one mana. Is it just too narrow?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is Angel's Grace just not worth playing in cEDH to prevent someone from winning? It's uncounterable and only costs one mana. Is it just too narrow?

I have only ever seen it played to prevent one's own Ad Nauseum from being lethal so they can just yank up the whole deck.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Angel's Grace sees pretty much no play in cEDH in recent times. Ad Naus decks just run really low curves these days and will often draw ~30+ cards on their own, and frankly if you're not assembling a win from that you're either immensely unlucky or need to adjust your deck.

TurboNaus decks are dead set on powering out a Naus as early as turn 1-2-- fiddling around digging for Angel's Grace just slows your gameplan down.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Hi all, I'm a Commander noob looking for some advice please. I want to start playing Commander as I enjoy Brawl on Arena and Commander looks pretty fun based on some YouTube videos.

Are buying pre-cons a good way to get started, and do you have any reccomendations? Or do you recommend just finding a budget deck on edhrec and ordering singles? I'm looking at the Warhammer 40K decks as I've read they have a pretty decent power level and they seem like a good way to get started. I spoke to my LGS who said they usually get 3-5 pods each Saturday and if I ask around some people might even lend me a precon deck to play with them, but I'd rather just have a deck so it's easier to join a pod.

On a side note, I picked up two booster packs of Commander Legends D&D and pulled an Ancient Copper Dragon which is pretty ridiculous, so I'm gonna sell that to cover a deck.

Thanks!

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 3, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You could get a precon and some good upgrades for less than buying a deck in singles.

The 40k decks are by a pretty solid margin the best they've released. They might be hard to get at a reasonable price right now though.

They actually tend to keep getting better with each new set so any recent precon that interests you is probably a good start if you can't find one of those.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Precons can be a good place to start and the 40k ones are definitely above average for precons but I want to address a couple of points:

salt shakeup posted:

Or do you recommend just finding a budget deck on edhrec and ordering singles?

Don't ever do this. EDHREC is good for just pawing around for ideas, but there's no curating of it, so it's often full of terrible, unplayable builds, and most people posting "budget" lists don't understand deck building at all and just want someone to praise them for coming in under a certain pointless dollar amount. While you don't need to go hog wild spending on a deck, knowing where and when to buy a bunch of $1-5 staples that you'll re-use a bunch in place of 50-cent draft chaff that make you feel miserable to draw them is important.

Fortunately, you have an entire forum here to sound out ideas and get advice including some well-regarded content creators, so feel free to post about the concepts and styles of decks you like to play and people will be glad to recommend to you quite good budget builds.

salt shakeup posted:

On a side note, I picked up two booster packs of Commander Legends D&D and pulled an Ancient Copper Dragon which is pretty ridiculous, so I'm gonna sell that to cover a deck.

This is an incredibly correct action. That dragon is way over-priced/over-hyped and selling it puts you a long way towards a fully functional deck of good cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Put in a 504 card order from MPC. I did five cEDH decks (Adeline, Orvar, Tiviz, Marneus, and Kenrith), and five non-cEDH decks (Korvold, Shanna, Rafiq, 5c Allies, and Bust Rodd's Mutate deck with changes to the mana base). Used those 4 spare slots to take care of some DFCs that were causing issues with getting every card printed front and back.

Printed out 200 tokens at work to cover all the decks, which I am now cutting by hand because I cannot be trusted to use the mandolin.

Looking forward to all my fake decks that are just as playable as ones made with real cards!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batterypowered7 posted:

Put in a 504 card order from MPC. I did five cEDH decks (Adeline, Orvar, Tiviz, Marneus, and Kenrith), and five non-cEDH decks (Korvold, Shanna, Rafiq, 5c Allies, and Bust Rodd's Mutate deck with changes to the mana base). Used those 4 spare slots to take care of some DFCs that were causing issues with getting every card printed front and back.

Printed out 200 tokens at work to cover all the decks, which I am now cutting by hand because I cannot be trusted to use the mandolin.

Looking forward to all my fake decks that are just as playable as ones made with real cards!

Do you have a link to the deck list for the Marneus Calgar deck?

Serf
May 5, 2011

I had a very fun game last night with my Syr Gwyn deck where I managed to come from behind and win. Syr Gwyn equipped with Shadowspear, Sunforger and Whispersilk Cloak is a pretty potent force. It was only 3 players, so I probably would have been slowed down by another player dealing with my threats, but it always feels nice when a deck I haven't won with proves itself.

I was talking with folks at my LGS and the consensus seems to be that Infect is not a good win condition. How do y'all feel about that? Because I was looking through my binders and found Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive, which seems like it could have some interesting ways of pushing through Infect damage with proliferate cards and a whole heap of counterspells for protection. Also there are a lot of good blue creatures that draw cards on combat damage so those could help me eat through the deck faster to get to the cards I need.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do you have a link to the deck list for the Marneus Calgar deck?

I sure do, my mans:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/x_LdZuOk4UCJe_Cymj0C0g

E:

If I hadn't minded having to put the decks together every time, I could have just looked at all the cards shared across decks and only gotten one of each printed. I was too lazy to do that, though, so there's like nine copies of Arcane Signet (some on both sides of the same card!) in my order, lol

E2:

The Kenrith list:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/c9Yyca7YjUOPXfAAMLOT7Q

The Orvar list:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/lHFpoGZPTkqax9YlWip-OA

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 3, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

Put in a 504 card order from MPC.

:sickos: gently caress Yes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

:sickos: gently caress Yes.

Yeah I can't wait till I do that, my only order right now is in the double digits

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah I can't wait till I do that, my only order right now is in the double digits

Want an overwhelming list of cards for edh and Canadian Highlander? Here is a list of just under 1000 cards focusing on cards over 5$ that show up in multiple decks.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/DZxDXRubdkOPj1QRvus25Q

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Serf posted:

I was talking with folks at my LGS and the consensus seems to be that Infect is not a good win condition. How do y'all feel about that? Because I was looking through my binders and found Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive, which seems like it could have some interesting ways of pushing through Infect damage with proliferate cards and a whole heap of counterspells for protection. Also there are a lot of good blue creatures that draw cards on combat damage so those could help me eat through the deck faster to get to the cards I need.

This is true mainly for the same reasons regular combat damage is not a good wincon. Only with infect, you have fewer choices. Though, I like it as a secondary pressure release value for certain decks. For example, I run Inkmoth Nexus in my mono-W equip and colorless Eldrazi deck as a way to (if the stars align) take out a problematic player or finish the game when there’s only one opponent left.

The issue being once you take someone out, the next piece of removal is guaranteed to go after the Nexus. So, it sucks as a primary.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

This is true mainly for the same reasons regular combat damage is not a good wincon. Only with infect, you have fewer choices. Though, I like it as a secondary pressure release value for certain decks. For example, I run Inkmoth Nexus in my mono-W equip and colorless Eldrazi deck as a way to (if the stars align) take out a problematic player or finish the game when there’s only one opponent left.

The issue being once you take someone out, the next piece of removal is guaranteed to go after the Nexus. So, it sucks as a primary.

Turn the rest of the table into the Caveman Spongebob meme by casting Triumph of the Horde.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Serf posted:

I had a very fun game last night with my Syr Gwyn deck where I managed to come from behind and win. Syr Gwyn equipped with Shadowspear, Sunforger and Whispersilk Cloak is a pretty potent force. It was only 3 players, so I probably would have been slowed down by another player dealing with my threats, but it always feels nice when a deck I haven't won with proves itself.

I think it's a hilarious win condition but, people have poor threat response. They feel way more threatened by infect being on the board than they should. it's generally linked to combat damage, which means it's subject to blocking and removal and fog and stuff, which is tricky.

Nekusar infect is hilarious. Triumph of the hordes is great.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Stopped someone from grabbing the Kozilek they put on the top of their library with a Conduit if Ruin by using a Noxious Revival to put a land on top during their upkeep, lmao.

Then I lasered them with Aetherflux Reservoir.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My favorite dumb blue bounce spell is Winds of Rebuke because it donks people’s top-of-the-deck tutors. (Plus it mills me more for Emry. :v: )

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tired: infect

Wired: fynn the fangbearer deathtouch tribal

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Now to wait for https://www.dacardworld.com/supplies/bcw-clear-deck-keeper to come back in stock so I can store my fake decks once they come in.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Thanks for the thoughts on Infect, folks. I can see how combat damage is not the best way to win, but it is my favorite. Plus I'm lucky enough to play in a group where most of the decks are still based around turning creatures sideways to win.

I'll post the deck to see if y'all have any thoughts on it. If there are any good Infect or proliferate effects I missed, let me know. Also equipment that only boosts one stat is really strong but hard to search for on Scryfall. Please note I ain't paying that much for this deck, I'm trying to decide if I should have it in my next MPC order, so price isn't a concern (other than sleeves and a box, which overall probably cost more than the deck itself).

Poison Power

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Serf posted:

Thanks for the thoughts on Infect, folks. I can see how combat damage is not the best way to win, but it is my favorite. Plus I'm lucky enough to play in a group where most of the decks are still based around turning creatures sideways to win.

I'll post the deck to see if y'all have any thoughts on it. If there are any good Infect or proliferate effects I missed, let me know. Also equipment that only boosts one stat is really strong but hard to search for on Scryfall. Please note I ain't paying that much for this deck, I'm trying to decide if I should have it in my next MPC order, so price isn't a concern (other than sleeves and a box, which overall probably cost more than the deck itself).

Poison Power

Too bad Grafted Exoskeleton gives +2/+2

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Serf posted:

Also equipment that only boosts one stat is really strong but hard to search for on Scryfall.

Give us an example of what you are looking for. We have some Scryfall experts here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Presumably +X/+0 equipment, so toughness can stay at 1 for Tetsuko.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

My favorite dumb blue bounce spell is Winds of Rebuke because it donks people’s top-of-the-deck tutors. (Plus it mills me more for Emry. :v: )

Mine currently is a tie between Rewind (2UU), that lets me untap the lands I just used to counter, or Didn't Say Please (1UU) and just fizzles your spell and makes you, the would be caster, mill 3 cards from the top of your library. Works great in my upppgrayyyeddd Mind Flayarrs precon.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aphrodite posted:

Presumably +X/+0 equipment, so toughness can stay at 1 for Tetsuko.

https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%2F%5C%2B%28%5B1-9%5D%7CX%29%2B%5C%2F%5C%2B0%2F+t%3Aequipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elbrus, the Binding Blade would be funny and kind of on theme.

Terrible though. But funny!