Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
if i can exist as a warning to others, that's something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Could you quit now and finish the degree by say next summer?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Second best time to plant a tree is today, etc etc

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my first job I was at for five years and on contract with my current job for 3 of those 5 years, and I’ve since been direct hired by them for the last almost year

interviewing is hell and I avoid it as actively as possible

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

interviewing is hell and I avoid it as actively as possible

yeah. Also I'm at the age where looking for another job in tech will be problematic because of the valleys rampant age discrimination issues, so I'm motivated to stay where I am.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Could you quit now and finish the degree by say next summer?

possibly, i was never able to find any information about transferring credits out, but i bet they make it difficult in order to prevent that exact situation. i'll have to think about the pros and cons of that plan more, but at this point it might make more sense to just tough it out for the final bit and stay on good terms with my department, even though it sucks.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You certainly know more about the situation than me but don't sunk cost fallacy your way out of 2 more years of your life if you don't want to. At least find out if it's possible to do so

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

You certainly know more about the situation than me but don't sunk cost fallacy your way out of 2 more years of your life if you don't want to. At least find out if it's possible to do so

that's true and a good point. i appreciate the advice and perspective, it's helping me get out of my own head about this.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hm four at my first job, five at the next, then three, seven months (this one was a trip), a year at the worst place ive ever worked, and it's been eight months at the current place where i hope i can stay for a while

its full of people who've been here 20, 30, even 40 years

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

8 years
3 years
1.5 years
1.5 years and counting, probably gonna stay here a while idk

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

hm four at my first job, five at the next, then three, seven months (this one was a trip), a year at the worst place ive ever worked, and it's been eight months at the current place where i hope i can stay for a while

its full of people who've been here 20, 30, even 40 years

a ton of my coworkers have been here for 10-30y and the bennies are really fuckin good, and by the sounds of it they take retention seriously so I’m hopeful I can park it here for a loooong time too

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
approaching 15. got a letter in the mail tuesday, pension's starting to get nice

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

jesus WEP posted:

8 years
3 years
1.5 years
1.5 years and counting, probably gonna stay here a while idk

7 years
2 years
5 years
8 months
4 years
4 months (lol)
3 years and my feet are getting itchy

e: this is not counting pre-college when i did 2 years that included a lot of software dev, a lot of helpdesk, freelance computer technician work, and helping people learn computer skills at the library

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: Suddenly, despite me using my personal machine for work since lockdown in March 2020, it's now A Problem and they're trying to force me to pick which company-managed laptop I want to allow into my house. I wonder how long it would take them to notice if I accept one and just never turn it on.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
jesus crhist i've technically been in the industry for 24 years how did this happen?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

never exceeded two years yet, but doing the .7*tenured+.3*consulting thing now, think that'll stick.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

that's true and a good point. i appreciate the advice and perspective, it's helping me get out of my own head about this.

no problem friend thats what cjs is for :tipshat: :justpost:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

CPColin posted:

cjs: Suddenly, despite me using my personal machine for work since lockdown in March 2020, it's now A Problem and they're trying to force me to pick which company-managed laptop I want to allow into my house. I wonder how long it would take them to notice if I accept one and just never turn it on.

what's your objection to using a work laptop?

there's a strong case to be made for separating work from non-work as much as possible but i'm a loose cannon so i shitpost from my work machine

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

CPColin posted:

it's prolly less a matter of if they notice and more a matter of whether they'll lock poo poo down so you can only access it from the corp issued device

e: basically just go hog wild and do whatever until you can't anymore

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

im not touching the almost certain VM waste in our azure sub unless those savings are hitting my pocket

this will directly effect my bonus

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

if i can exist as a warning to others, that's something
do you like your current work, even if it's not paying out what it should?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cold on a Cob posted:

what's your objection to using a work laptop?

there's a strong case to be made for separating work from non-work as much as possible but i'm a loose cannon so i shitpost from my work machine

Mostly it's because I already told them straight-up that I didn't want company-managed equipment here in my house and on my local network. I told them this last year too. A lot of it also is that I doubt they're gonna give me a Linux laptop, so I'm gonna have extra hoops to jump through to get my development environment set up properly (or have to do it in a VM like a weirdo). And that's if they even let me have admin privileges on my "own" device so I can install things!

I agree on separating work from non-work, which is why I just switched from my work user session to my personal user session to post this! I don't want to be logged into all my social networks on my work user!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

it's prolly less a matter of if they notice and more a matter of whether they'll lock poo poo down so you can only access it from the corp issued device

e: basically just go hog wild and do whatever until you can't anymore

That's part of it I don't get either, because they already have everything important behind the VPN. So I guess that's good enough until it isn't? They don't trust encrypted home partitions?? (They probably don't know what that means.)

This is the place where, when my previous work laptop got stolen out of my office years ago, there wasn't an immediate "CHANGE EVERY PASSWORD EVERYWHERE" fire drill. Good thing I took the initiative to encrypt that one, too.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

CPColin posted:

Mostly it's because I already told them straight-up that I didn't want company-managed equipment here in my house and on my local network. I told them this last year too. A lot of it also is that I doubt they're gonna give me a Linux laptop, so I'm gonna have extra hoops to jump through to get my development environment set up properly (or have to do it in a VM like a weirdo). And that's if they even let me have admin privileges on my "own" device so I can install things!

I agree on separating work from non-work, which is why I just switched from my work user session to my personal user session to post this! I don't want to be logged into all my social networks on my work user!

1 vlan for work
1 vlan for personal devices
1 vlan for iot crap and guests

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

do you like your current work, even if it's not paying out what it should?

oh 100%, that's the biggest problem. i'm doing exactly what i want to be doing, i just want (and justifiably deserve) a raise. i really enjoy helping students with research and i love teaching workshops, my coworkers and managers are great, it's just the system of academia that sucks. i don't think there is similar work in the private sector which is why i stay and academia is perfectly tuned to extract work from suckers like me who enjoy it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
But which vlan to rule them all :ohdear:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ive got two SSIDs: "Wu-Tang LAN" with WPA3 for my personal stuff and "FIPS Mode Squad" with WPA2 for my work laptop which doesnt support WPA3

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol at fips mode squad

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

CPColin posted:

That's part of it I don't get either, because they already have everything important behind the VPN. So I guess that's good enough until it isn't? They don't trust encrypted home partitions?? (They probably don't know what that means.)

This is the place where, when my previous work laptop got stolen out of my office years ago, there wasn't an immediate "CHANGE EVERY PASSWORD EVERYWHERE" fire drill. Good thing I took the initiative to encrypt that one, too.

yeah it's a bit ridiculous. as long as the VPN login has MFA then who gives a gently caress

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The VPN does have MFA, if you install the GlobalProtect client. Or you can figure out the right settings and skip it lol :ssh:

This may be proving my boss's point

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

oh 100%, that's the biggest problem. i'm doing exactly what i want to be doing, i just want (and justifiably deserve) a raise. i really enjoy helping students with research and i love teaching workshops, my coworkers and managers are great, it's just the system of academia that sucks. i don't think there is similar work in the private sector which is why i stay and academia is perfectly tuned to extract work from suckers like me who enjoy it.
well, good. no shame in this. i worked a job for 12 years and liked it just ok for the first half and went from joyless to hating it in the back half. all while never making much money at it. truly wasted time on my part

in losing my most recent job i have at least proved that i can still get interesting, well-paying work which challenged me to learn well out of my element and improve quickly under very little supervision/guidance. worrying about not being able to do that always held me back before

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

well, good. no shame in this. i worked a job for 12 years and liked it just ok for the first half and went from joyless to hating it in the back half. all while never making much money at it. truly wasted time on my part

in losing my most recent job i have at least proved that i can still get interesting, well-paying work which challenged me to learn well out of my element and improve quickly under very little supervision/guidance. worrying about not being able to do that always held me back before

that's a good point, i should focus more on how it's not truly wasted time if i've been enjoying my job (as much as anyone can enjoy work). overall, this is the attitude i'm striving for, i just need to not desire money so much.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve had my job for 69 years and 420 days next Saturday

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kenny Logins posted:

woah. good on you, dude.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

c dinner s: foolishly ate a mcrib and now I’m literally dying

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

cjs: thinkin about doing the old “ hit da bricks” because it sucks. everyone called in sick today except the guy everyone hates and me. i might get sick too and then get fired.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

NinetySevenA posted:

i might get sick too

might i suggest mcrib?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

now having a mental image of kenny baring his heart and soul to beep while beep eats a mcrib and pukes in a corner

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

dioxazine posted:

now having a mental image of kenny baring his heart and soul to beep while beep eats a mcrib and pukes in a corner

this is the true zeitgeist of this thread

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

woah. good on you, dude.
i mean, thanks. yeah i quit the bad old job in the summer and started a figgied government job with a 6 month probationary period. got let go last friday for no official reasons. was working hard, assignments were going well and i was fitting in

but: budget season, looming recession, pretty sure it was an economic decision on their part that i probably couldn't have avoided. looking for something else and trying to carry forth the better parts of the experience with me