Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I suppose a more accurate list for EDH with Tetsuko as the commander is: https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%2F%5C%2B%28%5B1-9%5D%7CX%29%2B%5C%2F%5C%2B0%2F+t%3Aequipment+f%3Aedh+id%3Aub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

looks like the best options are probably (perhaps unsurprisingly) runechanter's pike and cranial plating, since they both are at the lower end in terms of mana cost and have much higher upside than most of the other options (~1/4 of the deck is currently an instant or sorcery and ~1/6 are artifacts - its very likely you'll do better than the +2/+0 that seems standard for the other cheap equipment)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't use Cranial Plating, it has a black color identity.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

derp

well just runechanter's pike then :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Thanks, this is just what I was looking for! Bloodforged Battle-Axe could get nutty actually.

Aphrodite posted:

You can't use Cranial Plating, it has a black color identity.

Yeah, the new Transmogrant cards from BRO would have been perfect, but they use black mana.

LGD posted:

derp

well just runechanter's pike then :v:

This is also a good pick I think!

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Aphrodite posted:

You could get a precon and some good upgrades for less than buying a deck in singles.

The 40k decks are by a pretty solid margin the best they've released. They might be hard to get at a reasonable price right now though.

They actually tend to keep getting better with each new set so any recent precon that interests you is probably a good start if you can't find one of those.

Thanks, I'll try to grab a 40k precon. I want the MonoB Necron deck, because robot skeleton graveyard reanimator sounds cool, I've ordered it for $90 from Amazon but it's "out of stock" so not sure I'll receive it. I can find the others 3 decks in stock for $100 so I might order one of them as well. For comparison, 'normal' commander decks are $60-$70 in my country, so it's not unreasonably expensive IMO.

Toshimo posted:

Precons can be a good place to start and the 40k ones are definitely above average for precons but I want to address a couple of points:

Don't ever do this. EDHREC is good for just pawing around for ideas, but there's no curating of it, so it's often full of terrible, unplayable builds, and most people posting "budget" lists don't understand deck building at all and just want someone to praise them for coming in under a certain pointless dollar amount. While you don't need to go hog wild spending on a deck, knowing where and when to buy a bunch of $1-5 staples that you'll re-use a bunch in place of 50-cent draft chaff that make you feel miserable to draw them is important.

Fortunately, you have an entire forum here to sound out ideas and get advice including some well-regarded content creators, so feel free to post about the concepts and styles of decks you like to play and people will be glad to recommend to you quite good budget builds.
Thanks for the advice, I won't put too much stock in the decks on EDHREC then. Thanks for being so welcoming and willing to help.

Toshimo posted:

This is an incredibly correct action. That dragon is way over-priced/over-hyped and selling it puts you a long way towards a fully functional deck of good cards.
Yeah, I will trade it in at my LGS for $60 store credit which can go towards sleeves, dice, singles, playmat, singles for upgrades etc. rather than mess around with eBay selling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those sound like Canadian prices, are you Canadian?

401games has the Necron deck for $100 if you are.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

quote:

Thank you for your order at MakePlayingCards.com placed on 2022/11/02 22:20:25 (PST).

Your order number ############ has been successfully entered into our production system and will complete in 1-2 business days.

Hell. Yes.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Love it. Just as Wizards would approve of. Since they're so happy to have people selling proxies, after all.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I'm so proud of you guys. Be sure to your impressions of the proxy cards when they come in.

MPCFill and Cardconjuerer make it so easy. Before that, I had to use tools like GIMP and Faststone to get images of lower quality.

If you have time and some photoshop skills you can get really thematic and creative. Just like Mark Rosewater wanted.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tenasscity posted:

I'm so proud of you guys. Be sure to your impressions of the proxy cards when they come in.

MPCFill and Cardconjuerer make it so easy. Before that, I had to use tools like GIMP and Faststone to get images of lower quality.

If you have time and some photoshop skills you can get really thematic and creative. Just like Mark Rosewater wanted.

This is my second order from there. The first one was just two decks (one for a buddy), now it's ten, lol

E:

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 5, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ran into some people last night playing decks that were a little stronger than I expected so I thought I'd spruce up a deck I've posted here before:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/9OYWWrwBHkecMebIJVVvNw

Things I'm thinking about cutting:

-Soul Knife Spy
-Sublime Epiphany
-Cryptic Command
-Phyrexia Arena
-Underworld Connections
-Diluvian Primordial
-Sepulchral Primordial
-Silumgar's Command
-Curtain's Call
-Temple of Deceit
-Chromatic Lantern
-Creeping Tar Pit
-Blighted Fen
-Blighted Cataracts

Things I would add:

+Changeling Outcast
+Swan Song
+Fierce Guardianship
+Deadly Rollick
+Mana Drain (or Counterspell)
+Vampiric Tutor
+Demonic Tutor
+Underground Sea
+Talisman of UB
+Cavern of Souls
+Rhystic Study
+Pongify
+Rapid Hybridization
+That one instant that exiles a creature or artifact and makes a 4/4
+Cyclonic Rift

Obviously more cards I'd like to add than cards I've suggested cutting, and the adds I've listed don't cover all the cut types (lands, for example). I know combat damage isn't a popular win condition for a lot of people in the thread, but I guess I'd like to move it more in the direction of a tempo deck without a combo finish.

There's a new Rogue that adds hit counters to creatures that die, so I thought Etrata might be cute, but shuffling her in seems miserable so I scrapped that idea. Not quite sure exactly what to do with the deck to keep the game plan similar but make it stronger overall.

-E-

In:

+Otawara
+Takenuma

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 6, 2022

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I jumped on the proxy bandwagon and ordered a bunch of dual lands with original art in modern frames. Also some borderless Dockside Extortionists, because lol @ those prices too

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I made a pile, hopefully I'll get to play it this week. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/m7lSP8n5r0ixIzcWSIJNqA
Totally didn't realize Grist's static ability made her Commander-able until I was browsing some cEDH lists and primers.
What power level would this expensive but generally bad deck be? I'm limiting myself to just cards in my collection except for the Gaea's Cradle which is Gold Bordered since the local play group is kinda hostile to proxies.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ran into some people last night playing decks that were a little stronger than I expected so I thought I'd spruce up a deck I've posted here before:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/9OYWWrwBHkecMebIJVVvNw

Things I'm thinking about cutting:

-Soul Knife Spy
-Sublime Epiphany
-Cryptic Command
-Phyrexia Arena
-Underworld Connections
-Diluvian Primordial
-Sepulchral Primordial
-Silumgar's Command
-Curtain's Call
-Temple of Deceit
-Chromatic Lantern
-Creeping Tar Pit
-Blighted Fen
-Blighted Cataracts

Things I would add:

+Changeling Outcast
+Swan Song
+Fierce Guardianship
+Deadly Rollick
+Mana Drain (or Counterspell)
+Vampiric Tutor
+Demonic Tutor
+Underground Sea
+Talisman of UB
+Cavern of Souls
+Rhystic Study
+Pongify
+Rapid Hybridization
+That one instant that exiles a creature or artifact and makes a 4/4
+Cyclonic Rift

Obviously more cards I'd like to add than cards I've suggested cutting, and the adds I've listed don't cover all the cut types (lands, for example). I know combat damage isn't a popular win condition for a lot of people in the thread, but I guess I'd like to move it more in the direction of a tempo deck without a combo finish.

There's a new Rogue that adds hit counters to creatures that die, so I thought Etrata might be cute, but shuffling her in seems miserable so I scrapped that idea. Not quite sure exactly what to do with the deck to keep the game plan similar but make it stronger overall.

-E-

In:

+Otawara
+Takenuma

Etrata works with any kind of bounce effect, so you can actually hit with her and activate (say) a Ninjutsu skill in response to her trigger so it still goes off but she returns to your hand (because even if she has dealt damage she is still "attacking")

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

More and more Warhammer proxies are getting uploaded and I can't wait to have a full CEDH Warhammer deck.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

TheLawinator posted:

More and more Warhammer proxies are getting uploaded and I can't wait to have a full CEDH Warhammer deck.

Is there a link to these?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

General Morden posted:

Maybe on mpcfill.com

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Maybe on mpcfill.com

Yea, the uploader is Vector. Quite nice. All of it so far is Imperium themed, with a bunch of CEDH cards.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

General Morden posted:

There was a contest on Reddit though a lot of them are by new proxy makers so they have copyrights on them which can get your order rejected.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

that's not too hard to solve though, unless they did a full art version that info is generally in black on the bottom of the card so you can just dummy up what you need for the frame (i.e. artist credit and clear proxy/not for resale disclaimers) on Card Conjurer or w/e and use Paint to copy/paste over it, takes like 2 minutes

e: contest is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mpcproxies/comments/y59k78/the_submission_period_if_now_over_see_inside_to/

unsurprisingly (given the massive amount of 40k art out there to draw on) some of these are pretty good!
(and none of the ones in the actual folders seem problematic, though I've only skimmed them briefly)

also plenty of other people still creating new ones (some dude just uploaded a different gallery of ~40 cards he created for his own Marneus Calgar deck which are all reasonably well done, though the quality/style of the art he picked is variable)

LGD fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 7, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't even play WH and I am in love with that Anointed Procession

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still haven’t come up with my junji ito deck list. It’s hard!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still haven’t come up with my junji ito deck list. It’s hard!

UB mutate deck with Toxrill as your commander?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I decided to get the Extra Life SL instead of the Junji Ito or Yoji Shinkawa ones. The art on those are nice but I don't feel like I'd use them much. Like I do want a Thoughtseize, but I like the Lorwyn art more for that one. And while more Skullclamps and Phyrexian Metamorphs are nice, they're just not as much of a total auto-include as Birds of Paradise. And at the pace I'm accumulating all of these fuckin Slivers I may as well just make an SLiver deck just to show them off with Sliver Legion as the commander or something.

Also, my Nils Hamm and Imaginary Friends SLs came in yesterday. I'll need to expedite my Gitrog cEDH deck >:D

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My most bullshit deck is Shorikai so the yoji shinkawa SL was an instant buy for me as all those cards are in that deck and it suits it perfectly.

I finally won a game against my friend's Brago Stacks deck in a pod via out bullshitting him with cedh staples and it felt good to not just get bullied the whole time via being unable to play. Displacer kitten, mana rocks, and cheap artifacts were the MVP of that game for me. But man it can sometimes feel so bullshit and calvinball compared to mid-high tier where I get to play funny cards instead of having to play good cards or else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

UB mutate deck with Toxrill as your commander?

Junji gotta be the commander for dumb name reasons.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Oh poo poo, MPC already shipped my cards proxies. That was a really fast turnaround.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh poo poo, MPC already shipped my cards proxies. That was a really fast turnaround.

I've only ordered from them once so far, but it took about 3 days for them to be printed and then 3 weeks for them to show up. The tracking number never even updated to tell me where the order was. That part sucked, but the cards themselves are excellent quality. I chickened out at the last second and grabbed other lists instead of using my own, and a few months on I've realized that the problem with those lists is that apparently the people who made them were allergic to interaction.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
the most important thing to know about mpc proxies is that they smell absolutely loving awful

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the most important thing to know about mpc proxies is that they smell absolutely loving awful

I've read that, but my two orders so far have not smelled at all. At least not unless I shove the card right up against my nostril and inhale sharply.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe you have covid.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe you have covid.

No, I can't catch covid because I already had ligma.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've read that, but my two orders so far have not smelled at all. At least not unless I shove the card right up against my nostril and inhale sharply.

very jealous of your unscented orders

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

Make Proxies, Coolly

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Get some activated charcoal from a pool supply store, put it in a sealable container, fan the cards out on a slotted tray, put the tray on top of the charcoal and seal the container, open it up every couple of days to rearrange the cards. Works wonders.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Has anyone tried a Maze's End gates deck in Commander? I made one for historic brawl and it's stupid and fun, but I'm thinking it might be stupid and boring in paper. Golos is the perfect commander for a deck like this and I'm sure my play group will allow it for this deck in particular even though he's banned.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Simone Poodoin posted:

Has anyone tried a Maze's End gates deck in Commander? I made one for historic brawl and it's stupid and fun, but I'm thinking it might be stupid and boring in paper. Golos is the perfect commander for a deck like this and I'm sure my play group will allow it for this deck in particular even though he's banned.

Yes, I had one until Golos was banned. If you build it "right" it's actually amazingly strong, and basically doesn't interact with the board just goes insane grabbing gates and wins. I would play at the LGS and people would laugh about a gate deck, but I had like an 80% win rate.

Also here's a legal one with Nine-Fingers Keene: https://www.goonhammer.com/commander-focus-nine-fingers-keene/

I don't know that I ever wrote up my gate deck, it was just tons of ways to play extra lands in a turn and then you know, golos for more lands. You can also do a combo version that sets up and then just grabs gates until you win the game in one turn.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Thanks, I'll take a look.

My play group should be chill with golos for this, they dont let me use him anymore in my five color dino deck though, for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I sure wish ABUR duals didn't cost so much... Wait a minute. I have an idea!

And they will be none the wiser!