Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hybridnoisebloom posted:

somehow haven't posted in here at all despite my increasing obsession with whisky. the current bottles on my desk are laphroaig 10 (pretty great but not as good as ardbeg 10 imho) and four roses small batch (delicious and ludicrously affordable, maybe the most cherry-forward bourbon i've tried so far).
Laphroaig 10 is a great value but Ardbeg 10 is better and Uigedall better still.

If you like Four Roses Small Batch, you should try the Single Barrel. It’s $7 more but we’ll worth it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Some suggestions if you like Ardbeg and Laphroaig, not in any particular order:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroaig Lore
Port Charlotte PC10
Ledaig 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroaig Lore
Port Charlotte PC10
Ledaig 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail

Yes.

Where do I put in my credit card number?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was in a Total Wine the other day and saw that there's small-batch/artisanal whiskey being made in places I wouldn't normally have looked for it, like Wales and India and Mexico. Are any of those worth a try?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wales: Aber Falls not really, Penderyn okay.
India: Amrut is good, haven't tried John Paul
Mexico: Never tried a Mexican whisky

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I recently tried some of Puni's Nova, from Italy, and it was surprisingly fantastic.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

spankmeister posted:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroaig Lore
Port Charlotte PC10
Ledaig 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail

yea, i've heard a fair bit about most of these (particularly the Uigeadail, everyone says that's one of the best Ardbegs so i'm definitely interested). haven't heard of Ledaig off the top of my head though, i'll have to look into that. i think my next scotch purchase is probably gonna be a Highland Park 12 or maybe just another bottle of Ardbeg 10 because it's just so drat good. it has this beautiful chocolate note that i just absolutely love that (at least ime) the Laphroaig hasnt given me. Laphroaig is still delicious stuff though so I'm definitely gonna have to seek out the non-age statement ones.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

hybridnoisebloom posted:

yea, i've heard a fair bit about most of these (particularly the Uigeadail, everyone says that's one of the best Ardbegs so i'm definitely interested). haven't heard of Ledaig off the top of my head though, i'll have to look into that. i think my next scotch purchase is probably gonna be a Highland Park 12 or maybe just another bottle of Ardbeg 10 because it's just so drat good. it has this beautiful chocolate note that i just absolutely love that (at least ime) the Laphroaig hasnt given me. Laphroaig is still delicious stuff though so I'm definitely gonna have to seek out the non-age statement ones.

If you DM me your address I'll send you a taster of the Uigeadail as it's one of my fave peaty scotches and I bought 12 bottles a few years ago when a stor had it on sale for $40/each

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

The Polish Pirate posted:

If you DM me your address I'll send you a taster of the Uigeadail as it's one of my fave peaty scotches and I bought 12 bottles a few years ago when a stor had it on sale for $40/each

oh hell yea, i might just have to take you up on that! i don't know what all we have in the liquor stores out here as far as scotch goes but i know the place i usually end up going to doesn't have any Ardbeg outside the 10. i gotta check the other stores around town, though.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroaig Lore
Port Charlotte PC10
Ledaig 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail

Add in Caol Ila 12 and any Longrow.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A friend bought me a super expensive bottle of New Zealand whiskey at the duty-free as a thank you for house-sitting while he was on vacation.

Then the security at Fiji confiscated it.

Now apparently they are accepting the chargeback since he had it stored exactly how the person at the NZ duty-free said to store it, so he wants to buy me something locally available. What should I look at for a sort of "introduction to nice scotch" around the $80-120 mark? I've had Balvenie Doublewood and really enjoyed it, but otherwise I have only had Johnnie Walker black, gold, green, blue, some speyside blends, and whatever J&B or Cutty Sark count as. I also had laphroaig 10 and hated it, way too much peat for me at this point. I had been thinking Highland Park 12 but he wants to spend more than that and well, okay, I guess.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

If you truly hated laphroaig I'd avoid Highland Park until you could try a glass somewhere. The peat isn't as strong, but it's funkier (grassier Orkney peat!), and certainly present on both the nose and tongue.

As someone who enjoyed Balvenie Doublewood. I'd maybe look for Glen Garioch 12 (my personal favorite, but it's fairly inexpensive) or an expression of Glenfarclas.

If you wanted to try something sherried (sweeter and fruitier), may be go with Aberlour A'Bunadh or Glen Dronach 15. The Aberlour is a batched release so each one is a bit different, but out of the 4 or 5 bottles I've had I've enjoyed them all (although I still dream about Batch 49).

If you want sweet and smokey (peaty) check out Kilchoman Sanaig maybe. Want something still smokey / peaty, but no sherry; try Caol Ila. Lots of vanilla as the sweetness more so than fruit. Peat smoke is stronger than the Kilchoman though.

Also, don't feel like you have to like peat to enjoy Scotch. There's tons of unpeated stuff out there that's great.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like I'll probably enjoy peat once I get acclimated to it, I assume it's an acquired taste. I'll note those all down and take a look, I'm in a small town and our liquor stores don't have a massive amount of selection.

I'm planning on going out tonight because I'm not on call for once so maybe I'll get a glass of Highland Park at the bar and see how I feel about it. I generally love smokey flavors, Laphroaig 10 was just too much.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm in a small town and our liquor stores don't have a massive amount of selection.
One thing I would recommend is seeing what kind of selection you have locally and then looking them up on https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

For most things they list the "Character" at the bottom which are basically high level tasting notes. I've found them to be very accurate at a high level, and haven't picked any stinkers using those as a guideline for myself.

[url]https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/284/balvenie-12-year-old-doublewood]Balvenie Doublewood[/url]for example is listed as Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Raspberry, Milk Chocolate, &
Stewed Fruit

I tend to ignore the "Style" ratings as they haven't really been helpful in my experience.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.diageo.com/en/news-and-...ones-distilling

Rip to a real one. They sold out.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Can't wait for the run on "pre diageo" juice.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Data Graham posted:

I was in a Total Wine the other day and saw that there's small-batch/artisanal whiskey being made in places I wouldn't normally have looked for it, like Wales and India and Mexico. Are any of those worth a try?

There are some corn whiskeys from Mexico that really highlight the particular corn. I have not tried but I'm interested.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/mexican-corn-liquor-transform-whiskey-094400779.html
https://punchdrink.com/articles/corn-whiskey-recommendations/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Rare Breed makes a drat fine Old Fashioned.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

wormil posted:

Rare Breed makes a drat fine Old Fashioned.

Russel's Single Barrel is also outstanding. Tons of cinnamon and bring cherries.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

If you truly hated laphroaig I'd avoid Highland Park until you could try a glass somewhere. The peat isn't as strong, but it's funkier (grassier Orkney peat!), and certainly present on both the nose and tongue.

As someone who enjoyed Balvenie Doublewood. I'd maybe look for Glen Garioch 12 (my personal favorite, but it's fairly inexpensive) or an expression of Glenfarclas.

If you wanted to try something sherried (sweeter and fruitier), may be go with Aberlour A'Bunadh or Glen Dronach 15. The Aberlour is a batched release so each one is a bit different, but out of the 4 or 5 bottles I've had I've enjoyed them all (although I still dream about Batch 49).

If you want sweet and smokey (peaty) check out Kilchoman Sanaig maybe. Want something still smokey / peaty, but no sherry; try Caol Ila. Lots of vanilla as the sweetness more so than fruit. Peat smoke is stronger than the Kilchoman though.

Also, don't feel like you have to like peat to enjoy Scotch. There's tons of unpeated stuff out there that's great.

I ended up getting Aberlour A'Bunadh since Glendronach and Glen Garioch weren't in stock at the store I went to when in a more moderately sized city (150k people). I've watered it down a little bit to open up the flavors, which I normally never do even with bottled in bond bourbon but with this 61% scotch I decided to. Sole complaint so far is that I was already drunk when I had to cut the wax off the bottle and that was harrowing.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I ended up getting Aberlour A'Bunadh since Glendronach and Glen Garioch weren't in stock at the store I went to when in a more moderately sized city (150k people). I've watered it down a little bit to open up the flavors, which I normally never do even with bottled in bond bourbon but with this 61% scotch I decided to. Sole complaint so far is that I was already drunk when I had to cut the wax off the bottle and that was harrowing.

Yeah, a bit late, but should have mentioned that A'Bunadh is easy drinkin, and sneaky potent.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A'Bunadh has batch variance, which is normal and expected, but I have found that some batches are hotter than others.

Of course the one I have on my shelf is the best batch ever, batch 69

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

A'Bunadh has batch variance, which is normal and expected, but I have found that some batches are hotter than others.

I’m waiting to open my bottle of 419 year old Scotch till next year…:agesilaus:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Nice

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

spankmeister posted:

Wales: Aber Falls not really, Penderyn okay.
India: Amrut is good, haven't tried John Paul
Mexico: Never tried a Mexican whisky

I've got to second the Penderyn, was recently gifted a bottle and it was fantastic. I'd describe it as similar to a Speyside but more crisp, less sherry inspired? Delicious nonetheless

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

went to the other liquor store in town today and lo and behold, they had the Uigdeall! so i snagged that. early birthday present to myself.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

hybridnoisebloom posted:

went to the other liquor store in town today and lo and behold, they had the Uigdeall! so i snagged that. early birthday present to myself.

Ah good good enjoy!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

adnam posted:

I've got to second the Penderyn, was recently gifted a bottle and it was fantastic. I'd describe it as similar to a Speyside but more crisp, less sherry inspired? Delicious nonetheless

Quite a lot of Penderyn is matured in Madeira casks

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

i'm a few days deep on the uigeadail and i gotta say, absolutely loving it. i don't think i've touched the laphroaig 10 once since i got the uigeadail. definitely seems like my tastes lie more in the darker sweetness/meaty flavors of ardbeg than the brighter iodine-y laphroaig type stuff. anyone got any recs for more islay stuff in the ardbeg vein? (or particular ardbegs that i should be looking for [that aren't insanely hard to find like the dark cove and poo poo])

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

hybridnoisebloom posted:

i'm a few days deep on the uigeadail and i gotta say, absolutely loving it. i don't think i've touched the laphroaig 10 once since i got the uigeadail. definitely seems like my tastes lie more in the darker sweetness/meaty flavors of ardbeg than the brighter iodine-y laphroaig type stuff. anyone got any recs for more islay stuff in the ardbeg vein? (or particular ardbegs that i should be looking for [that aren't insanely hard to find like the dark cove and poo poo])

Lagagulin is closer to Ardbeg than it is Laphroaig - I'd stick to Offerman or 12 though
Port Charlotte (PC10) is a happy medium to me but leans on the briny-er side
Ledaig and Kilchoman are also hidden gems but beasts of their own

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has anyone tried any of the following cheap Nikka bottles? Our local store has them at around the $20-30 range:

Black Clear Blend - smooth, peatless
Hi Nikka - easy drinking, good for highballs
Black Rich Blend - balanced taste
Black Deep Blend - rich and peaty

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Nikka Black is garbage tier. In Japan it’s not even full proof IIRC, and there’s no way it’s worth those prices, it should be half those. But still, if you’ve never tried convenience-store-level Japanese whisky it could be fun, and it’s not like they’re undrinkable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's just cheap blended whisky. Nothing to write home about.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I decided to switch it up and bought a bottle of Bushmills 10 and Writers Tears Double Oak.

Bushmills 10 cost $48.95, and honestly I found it bland. Too light of a flavour and not much going on. Bushmills' Black Bush is about $10 cheaper and more interesting.

Writers Tears Double Oak was $64.95. Better than the Bushmills, but I have the same problem: it's too mellow. Honestly, the basic Writers Tears is better.

If I get my hands on some more Canadian whisky, I'll go back, but I can't drink as much as I used to because it aggravates my GERD and causes some reflux.

On the plus side, a friend of mine who barely drinks just came back from overseas and picked up a bottle of Talisker Surge for me at Heathrow. Can't wait!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wanted to buy some brandy and pretend to be Sherlock Holmes (or Watson in all honesty). Is it wine? Is it French Whisky?

I bought some St Remy because Reddit said Hennessy was overpriced

Did I mess up?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Brandy is distilled wine
Typical "French" "types" are Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados, but it can come from anywhere in the world

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had a small drink and it reminds me a lot of whisky but with a watery grape aftertaste

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Brandy is pretty much its own thing. Being distilled it can hit some of the same notes, but really it's a whole different beastie to whiskey.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pseudohog posted:

Brandy is pretty much its own thing. Being distilled it can hit some of the same notes, but really it's a whole different beastie to whiskey.

Don't forget the wood aging, a big part of whisky 's flavor and aroma comes from the wood. But brandy is 100% its own thing yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This is old news but I just found out about Blackened, which in collaboration with Metallica is blasted in barrel with curated Metallica playlists. And I thought Jefferson's Ocean was gimmicky.