Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

We just hired a couple new programmers, and one is a woman! This is literally the first time in my career that I've worked with a lady code monkey. She's a junior but learning pretty fast. 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can you show up to the interview with the different name and when they call you by the different name, correct them and say actually it's _____

Like, you're already sitting down in the interview... Worst case they say no but now you've put them in their place and made it awkward

I did that for the first nine or so out of fourteen interviews I did between my last job and this one.

I only started getting calls back for a second round after I stopped asking for this, and especially answering honestly when asked why I wanted this :(

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m starting to ask in every interview if they have a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement they could send me, because I couldn’t find one on your website?

Their move.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

devmd01 posted:

I’m starting to ask in every interview if they have a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement they could send me, because I couldn’t find one on your website?

Their move.

Oh nice.

I've definitely applied for a few places because of their highly visible diversity stance, but I never thought to turn it around and ask for their diversity statements if it wasn't there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember back in like 1999 when I was first interviewing out of college and they asked if I had any questions, I asked about domestic partner benefits. Not because I had any pressing reason to care, but to see how they'd react.

The power dynamic in dotcom-boom-land was quite a bit different than this, but I know "if they flip out I wouldn't want to work for them anyway" figured into my thought process

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

devmd01 posted:

Their move.

quote:

Cock Punchers Ltd. has a strong commitment towards diversity, equity and inclusion. None of what we say is actually true, but it makes a great snippet to pass around. Did you know that one of our VPs is a minority? That's right, our COO Deepak passes well enough with us that he can be our token person of color to show how not racist we are. We also have a woman, too, I think? Or did she quit? I forget. We had the black lady from HR become our chief of Diversity. We don't actually do anything that she suggests, but it shows that we care about different, diverse voices in our community of upper class jagoffs.

I would not look at their Diversity Commitment Declaration or whatever the gently caress, I would look at how many people who do not look like me are actually there, along with what Glassdoor and the community at large says.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah. For larger companies a quick linkedin search will give you a reasonable snapshot of the company demographics.

Bunch of white guys that all went to the same uni is a big red flag

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Resurrecting the thread a bit to say that my team has started to add this into our job postings and I think its great:

quote:

Please Keep Reading...
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch and consider applying. We’d love to hear from you.

The last person we hired was a woman so now there are two of us out of a team of 12. :unsmith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
You love to see it 💕

Which gives me an opportunity to update on my job search!

There is none. Not a single interview. No callbacks. According to LinkedIn, no one is even looking at my applications.

Just gonna start going door to door in the business district with a sandwich board that says "will project manage 4 food"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Frosty Witch posted:

You love to see it 💕

There is none. Not a single interview. No callbacks. According to LinkedIn, no one is even looking at my applications.

Just gonna start going door to door in the business district with a sandwich board that says "will project manage 4 food"

I seem to be having decent enough luck dealing with recruiters, tho I am willing to do contract to hire at a telco for that 6 figgies. Got a 2nd interview coming up this week at charter, and they are hiring sr engineers and devops like crazy right now.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

A Frosty Witch posted:

You love to see it 💕

I had this problem when I was looking for a new job a few years ago. Just silence from open positions that'd I'd be perfect for. Nothing for weeks.

You might be doing this already, but what I found moved the needle for me was to get one of those semantic tools where you put in your resume and the position description and it creates a matching score (like Jobscan). you can then tweak your resume to increase that score by including words/rewriting to the PD. Its total BS that you have to do this, but in the modern HR environment your resume doesn't get seen by a human until it gets through an automated system like this. I re-wrote every resume I sent out using this and it did improve my hit rate.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bone Crimes posted:

I had this problem when I was looking for a new job a few years ago. Just silence from open positions that'd I'd be perfect for. Nothing for weeks.

You might be doing this already, but what I found moved the needle for me was to get one of those semantic tools where you put in your resume and the position description and it creates a matching score (like Jobscan). you can then tweak your resume to increase that score by including words/rewriting to the PD. Its total BS that you have to do this, but in the modern HR environment your resume doesn't get seen by a human until it gets through an automated system like this. I re-wrote every resume I sent out using this and it did improve my hit rate.

Pretty sure Frosty Witch mentioned that they got a ton of responses when they sent out resumes with their dead name, so, yeah. Less a resume issue and more a "stuck in the south for family reasons" issue.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Fun fact: I'm in Denver now. The world is universally lovely

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Volmarias posted:

Pretty sure Frosty Witch mentioned that they got a ton of responses when they sent out resumes with their dead name, so, yeah. Less a resume issue and more a "stuck in the south for family reasons" issue.

what does dead name mean here?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

wargames posted:

what does dead name mean here?

The name I went by prior to transitioning and changing my legal name.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Ah, well, that's not the same problem at all! That's really lovely. Sorry.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm 190 applications into my job search. I've had interviews with seven companies, two of which got to the second interview and one that got to the third.

No job tho. :(

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to get out of calibrating and into IT for the second time by getting some kind of network admin job with a CCNA and 85% of a degree. I'm considering taking a commute from Fort Collins to Denver if I need to. I just want out of calibrating poo poo

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's no way that a FoCo-Denver commute is better than your current gig

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Right now it's Fort Collins to Boulder so you're right, it would be slightly worse. Alternatively I could ride out my position until I get my degree done and do an internal transfer when an opportunity shows up, but that's 7+ months away.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Finish that degree.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Wibla posted:

Finish that degree.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Anyone else get unreasonably exciting when they get to close the oldest ticket in the queue?

No? Just me? I'm a gigantic weirdo?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Renegret posted:

Anyone else get unreasonably exciting when they get to close the oldest ticket in the queue?

No, I am looking forward to closing the one I have from March that is actually a recreation of a previous case that was opened last November.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I have a tech onsite deploying computers for a new client. This client is a new build, so most of this onboarding has been dealing with construction. We recommended a licensed low-voltage vendor in the area and the client declined, saying they already had a guy. By the time I was brought in for onboarding, the cabling had already been run, with the vendor coming out later to terminate lines once construction was almost finished. I requested that I be contacted and kept in the loop on when the vendor would be back out so I could work with him and make sure things were done correctly.

Cabling guy comes out and does his work and I find out a week later. Thanks, ya'll.

Our guy gets onsite and finds this:

haha. ha. eeergh.

All the cables are Cat5e, just fyi. And 6 of the drops just don't work.

I called the wiring guy to ask wtf. I inform him this has to be properly terminated with a patch panel and all lines labelled. I also asked him why he used Cat5e when the standard is at least Cat6.

:v: "That's what they had at HomeDepot."

Uh....... I ask the client who tf this guy is, and he finally lets me know HE'S THE HUSBAND OF ONE OF THEIR NURSES. He's not a licensed low-voltage vendor at all. Just some dude.

Guaranteed none of what he did is up to code.

Anyways, I get the guy to come out and fix everything because it's the least he could do. We find that he didn't do one of the drops he was supposed to and ask him to get that installed today.

:v: "Oh that'll be quite the ordeal. I won't be able to get that done for weeks."

Tech onsite: "I found this. Can I just use this?"

:bang:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tale as old as time~~~

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buy cheap, buy twice

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Renegret posted:

Yeah I kinda get a kick out of seeing low-number tickets finally pop up in sprint planning, 3+ years after they were created. I always imagine some greybeard pharmacist ordering new meds and going "oh hey, they finally fixed that one thing!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zil posted:

No, I am looking forward to closing the one I have from March that is actually a recreation of a previous case that was opened last November.

This one was a thorn. It was only from mid August but our tickets tend to be very short lived and I get cranky when one takes more than a week.

We had a very slow moving back and forth with TAC for an issue that we couldn't ignore because it caused an outage when it happened. They wanted some on-site testing but it was a remote site in the boonies and nobody wanted to go there during an overnight maintenance window just to run some tests. I had to trick someone into handling it by pulling an "oh by the way" when he was going out there for something else.

I didn't even read the RCA. Saw the "this is fixed in version-" DON'T CARE CLOSING TICKET OK THANKS BYE

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

also lmao

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

A Frosty Witch posted:

Tech onsite: "I found this. Can I just use this?"

:bang:
Perfection :golfclap:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Witch, I hate that this keeps happening to you and I'm sorry, but it sure does make for entertaining reading.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shes a great storyteller

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I remember using one of those things for phone line connections 20 years ago. It wasn't good then, I cannot imagine it's gotten much better.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Volmarias posted:

I remember using one of those things for phone line connections 20 years ago. It wasn't good then, I cannot imagine it's gotten much better.

I am using one to connect my downstairs TV, works without issue. Using one in professional networking environment? Ehhhhhhhh.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

our imaging guy, whom everyone suspects of having a second job because he's almost never in the office, is sure as poo poo in the office tonight to meet tomorrow's deadline for having completed the new image for our public pcs. i was wondering how that was going to go because i kept checking to see whether he had picked up the test machine i left on his desk and as of this morning he had not. currently it is 7:43 pm and he is thumping his keyboard and muttering "i hate this fuckin poo poo"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Weedle posted:

our imaging guy, whom everyone suspects of having a second job because he's almost never in the office, is sure as poo poo in the office tonight to meet tomorrow's deadline for having completed the new image for our public pcs. i was wondering how that was going to go because i kept checking to see whether he had picked up the test machine i left on his desk and as of this morning he had not. currently it is 7:43 pm and he is thumping his keyboard and muttering "i hate this fuckin poo poo"

If you fire him, I can do his job.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i wish i could fire him and hire a frosty witch

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Y'all don't wanna hire me. If I've learned one immutable truth, it's that every business I join inevitably turns into a circus and sinking ship at the same time, leading to hilarious antics to share online while the business goes bankrupt and I'm getting assured I'm doing a great job the entire time.

RFC2324 posted:

Shes a great storyteller

Aww :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Renegret posted:

No, there is something oddly satisfying about it.