Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1588287341554458624

Just find those savings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I'm sure there's a billion dollars a year in the couch cushions somewhere!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Only thing better than Elon burning twitter to the ground via malice is Elon burning twitter to the ground via incompetence

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

quote:

cutting cloud services and extra server space

Uh, okay. Technically possible, I guess, we could cut it down to a few gigs extra left and reduce the processing 50%, and you'll need to alter the contract, just promise you won't get mad when it all stops working in a few days.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ditch the development servers, we test on live now

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Can't believe the previous bozos at Twitter didn't think to save a billion a year

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

goatface posted:

Ditch the development servers, we test on live now

gently caress IT! DO IT LIVE!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

No way the last guys running the place had any idea what they were doing. After looking at it for a week I know these expenses are unnecessary. Smartest guy in the room!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

No way the last guys running the place had any idea what they were doing. After looking at it for a week I know these expenses are unnecessary. Smartest guy in the room!
All they had to do to be profitable this whole time was to cut infrastructure costs in half! Duuuuh.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

DrPossum posted:

he won't make it past the first one when he tries to get someone to explain to him what "import" means

I see you, pal

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
https://twitter.com/clarajeffery/status/1588295098197950464?s=46&t=DLe-PGSmD-R-yfNM5kPzng

https://twitter.com/clarajeffery/status/1588295736944312320?s=46&t=DLe-PGSmD-R-yfNM5kPzng

Truly incredible. Big brain Elon surely understands what the people want and how Twitter works!

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Hahahaha, the hits keep on coming.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1588299729888333824

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 4, 2022

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Surely getting rid of verification altogether will reduce the number of fake accounts, bots and spam, says I, an extremely intelligent man

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
@RealPresidentDonalldTrump

It's me, hi guys! I declare nuclear war with Iran.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588081971221053440

Just how Trump is a dumb person's idea of a rich man, Elon is a dumb person's idea of a smart man.

loving called it, or close enough to gloat at least.

Aramis posted:

Calling it now: X is an AGI. Musk is obsessed with them, and he thinks Twitter is a database of humanity's consciousness the AI will train on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

OH YEA? Let's ask this twitter user what he thinks about these changes and who is the best CEO ever

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1588281185347567616

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

OH YEA? Let's ask this twitter user what he thinks about these changes and who is the best CEO ever

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1588281185347567616

Jesus would run Twitter terribly.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Jesus, he’d get absolutely crucified

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

*to the tune of "go woke go broke" Go Musk, Go Bust

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am so glad Elon bought twitter. Watching it collapse owns

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The downside of not advertising on twitter is I can't stop advertising on twitter.

Also, the advertisers yanking spend on this means what I've known for 6+ years, the ROI on Twitter is dogshit and anybody advertising there is seeing marginal results and this is the impetus for them to go "yeah, lets give up on "unlocking" twitter"

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Trix are for wokes

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

The downside of not advertising on twitter is I can't stop advertising on twitter.

Also, the advertisers yanking spend on this means what I've known for 6+ years, the ROI on Twitter is dogshit and anybody advertising there is seeing marginal results and this is the impetus for them to go "yeah, lets give up on "unlocking" twitter"

Most of these big campaigns fell under the nebulous "brand-awareness" umbrella, which have notoriously hard to capture KPIs. There's no way Audi has ever been able to correlate twitter ad-buys to consumer behavior at the dealership. General Mills might be able to, but even then.

There is no such thing as ROI for these campaigns. All that really matters is that the ad budget is spent and that the C-Suite see evidence that the ads are getting pushed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

Only thing better than Elon burning twitter to the ground via malice is Elon burning twitter to the ground via incompetence

Don't sell him short, he can do two things! He's a super genius!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Musk losing billions to acquire millions is why he’s a genius and I’m not

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Those dumb dumb former managers at Twitter were like "Just spend a billion dollars a year more than we need to who gives a poo poo" and business mans Elon comes in and says "Hey how about instead of doing that we save a billion dollars a year" the guy is a goddamn genius.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Barudak posted:

It really depends on your product but for lots of companies advertising on twitter, fb, etc are horrible from a pure conversion funnel perspective. In one large company I worked for, our CVR excluding social traffic was around 1.5% but our CVR on social traffic was .02%. Our CMO had convinced the other executives that it did not matter how little it made but that social advertising was just about impressions and brand presence and $ don’t matter.

That company is now in a massive financial crisis. Make what connections you will.

Aramis posted:

Most of these big campaigns fell under the nebulous "brand-awareness" umbrella, which have notoriously hard to capture KPIs. There's no way Audi has ever been able to correlate twitter ad-buys to consumer behavior at the dealership. General Mills might be able to, but even then.

There is no such thing as ROI for these campaigns. All that really matters is that the ad budget is spent and that the C-Suite see evidence that the ads are getting pushed.

This. There are valid arguments to be made for good brand awareness campaigns no immediate ROI but most companies don’t do that. Marketing just uses a bunch of bs social metrics to justify why they need $100M and Friday’s off.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 4, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aramis posted:

For sure on the brand KPIs. Most are going "oh poo poo these nebulous, meaningless results could now be construed as reaching racist idiots, we don't need these". A very small number are going "yeah we lose .20 cents on the dollar with them, so gently caress em for real its never happening".

Twitter paid for my Hamilton tickets so we'll always have that, even if I cut them next year because, you know, why would I buy something that demonstrably loses money and has no hope of recovering it?

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Why would a major car brand want to advertise on twitter now anyway? gently caress it, there's tons of other advertising opportunities that aren't owned by a guy they're in competition with.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Victory Lap posted:

Why would a major car brand want to advertise on twitter now anyway? gently caress it, there's tons of other advertising opportunities that aren't owned by a guy they're in competition with.

I was gonna say the longer you keep him engaged there the more he's wasting Tesla engineers' time on Twitter but then again that's less time they have to somehow manage to make Teslas even worse so idk it's a tough calculus

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Holy poo poo that is loving bananas!

The first, I can't think of a faster way of driving off your precious celebrities that you're relying on for engagement.

The second, preventing that, and the subsequent lawsuits is why you had verification in the first place.

Honestly that's way crazier than 'just find a billion dollars in savings'.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Honestly that's way crazier than 'just find a billion dollars in savings'.

Two things can be crazy and incompetent at once!

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Driving off the big accounts and advertising is an odd strategy, but I'm no savior of humanity genius so maybe I'm wrong.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

King Carnivore posted:

Surely getting rid of verification altogether will reduce the number of fake accounts, bots and spam, says I, an extremely intelligent man

Elon doesn't give a poo poo about spam. Elon doesn't give a poo poo about bots.

Elon was just looking for an excuse to get out of his lovely deal

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Keep just going back da share z0ne

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Even if he wanted to fight bots he couldn't. Some of the worst are the crypto spam bots and there's no way they could target those without catching a bunch of real crypto nerds in the crossfire, which is a 100% overlap with his cultists

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1588304086792667136

https://twitter.com/zoeschiffer/status/1588303105187188736

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Philthy posted:

Keep just going back da share z0ne

lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So they plan to launch it a day after finishing the code?

That’s going to be a shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

So they plan to launch it a day after finishing the code?

That’s going to be a shitshow

Unless you're a JEENYUS like Emon!