Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's a well known fact that Rowling wrote HP with Daniel Radcliffe in her mind and only sold the rights to Warner Bros on the condition that she gets to pick the lead actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He also didn't say anything about JKR directly this time, just that from a position of his work with LGBT+ charities he knows that transphobia is directly harmful to people's lives.

A bit like when MAGA chuds see "gently caress fascists" written on a wall and call it anti-Trump graffiti, kinda telling on themselves.

Not telling anything that anyone doesn't know already, but telling that they know we know they know.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WhatEvil posted:

This is in view only mode, you should set it to editable by everyone otherwise I'd need to request access and I don't fancy revealing my email address.

Oops. Should be fxed now.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

i cannot believe I have been missing out on shrek filth

:nws::nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 3, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://vimeo.com/492873316

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

kecske posted:

it begins
:yeshaha:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
My god, it's spreading.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tarquinn posted:

My god, it's spreading.

No the spreading picture is a different one

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Oh yeah that’s the good stuff baby

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Party Boat posted:

No the spreading picture is a different one

:goatsecx:

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Convex posted:

coconut crabs

Is this related to the Dick Lice?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Welcome to hell UKMT

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hate you all

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

kecske posted:

oh hi there

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1588181907560599552?s=20&t=u7lghfXtqxtOqHqUE_01mQ

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rarity posted:

I hate you all

I presume you aren't including me or Shrek or Shrek's Dong in this??????

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

the b in bbw stands for 'british' in this case

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Big Brummie Women

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

roomtone posted:

The second b anyway

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The other interesting thing about planned blackouts is the grid operators will be doing load management measures to absolutely crush industrial power consumption so they can keep the juice flowing to the residential users.
Accountants start muttering darkly about triads and wander round the plant cutting plugs off kettles. The HASAWA poster will be covered up with a strict set of guidelines on fair and reasonable microwave use. Some bright spark from the labs will work out just how much benzene there really is in the tank farm and they'll feed it into the backup generator, in one stroke turning the site into a net-exporter of power and solving an awkward industrial waste problem, or at least sharing it with the community.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

The other interesting thing about planned blackouts is the grid operators will be doing load management measures to absolutely crush industrial power consumption so they can keep the juice flowing to the residential users.
Accountants start muttering darkly about triads and wander round the plant cutting plugs off kettles. The HASAWA poster will be covered up with a strict set of guidelines on fair and reasonable microwave use. Some bright spark from the labs will work out just how much benzene there really is in the tank farm and they'll feed it into the backup generator, in one stroke turning the site into a net-exporter of power and solving an awkward industrial waste problem, or at least sharing it with the community.

Bright spark indeed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Burning waste benzene in a combustion engine sounds like the best thing to do with it really, since I assume with how the Environment Agency handles plastic waste the actually collected waste benzene just ends up being added to school milk in Bosnia or something.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

roomtone posted:

Just like in BBC.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

domhal posted:

https://twitter.com/LucyMPowell/status/1587826957420462083

One leads a franchise that used to inspire millions with the possibility of a better future, the other etc etc.

Ah yes, more hoighty toity fashionistas is what we need

Well you see, now that it's a truck graveyard you can't actually drive it anymore.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i think the trucks are the other direction?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

:ssh: don't let the cat out of the bag, it's her only saving grace at this point

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Warmchat: it'll be rolling blackouts at specific times, because up to a week without power in an uncontrolled fashion will kill people in all sorts of ways you'd never imagine. Most mobile phone masts have about 10 minutes back-up, so nobody is calling an ambulance when you fall down the stairs in the dark. Hospitals will postpone routine surgery, because although their power might be fine, it's dangerous to discharge someone home if they don't have power, especially if they need mains powered medical equipment or temperature-sensitive medications. Literally everything comes to a halt and no amount of thermal underwear will help.

That said, planned blackouts are manageable. I don't have a generator because I don't understand them, but got a power bank that can apparently charge my phone 4 times, and my solar radio as an alternative power source. For lighting, I have a battery powered lantern (with spare batteries), battery powered fairy lights (to wrap around the bannister so I don't break my neck getting to the bathroom), candles, a torch, and LED tealights.

In terms of cooking, I have one of those camping stoves with a couple of gas cannisters and a thermos. I always have a few Pot Noodles, Cup-a-Soups, and porridge bowls in the cupboard which only need hot water. They're not the tastiest things but hot food is hot food. Powdered milk is OK stirred into hot drinks if you don't want to open the fridge or the power is off for longer than expected. There's also a couple of those cold packs intended for picnic cool bags in my freezer. If the power does go out, they might help the food last longer, and I guess if you need meds keeping cool then they can buy you some extra time.

An honourable mention for disposable hand warmers! They warm up when exposed to air and stay warm for a good 8 hours. Useful for if the power goes out suddenly and you don't have time to make a hot water bottle. Lambs wool insoles will also help stop the cold seeping up from the floor, if there's no room in your shoes for multiple layers of socks.

Everything else, people have already covered. Maybe if you have any outside space, keep a bucket of rainwater so you can flush a toilet if the water pumps fail. I'm not even a prepper, this is all stuff I've acquired after experiencing storms that knocked out the power for 12 hours and houses that were appallingly insulated and impossible to warm in winter with only night storage heating.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvZZyoz9Gs8

"gently caress off mate, enough scumbags in here already"*

*Foxes are cool

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 4, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ok but i just want to post on the internet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

I don't have a generator because I don't understand them
The newer ones are fairly self explanatory.

That said, I have no idea what they were thinking with that name!

Lady Demelza posted:

An honourable mention for disposable hand warmers!
Good point. Those old Jon-E handwarmers are also great and last a long time and can be refilled.

Zippo do a newer slimmer safer version of the same that runs on their lighter fluid if "and then you pour the petrol on the asbestos" is not something you want in your life/pocket.

Lady Demelza posted:

Maybe if you have any outside space, keep a bucket of rainwater so you can flush a toilet if the water pumps fail.
Dehumidifiers are also good for this. Obviously not so good for dehumidifying during a blackout, but they're a good emergency water source the rest of the time and store it in the tank.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

the daily mail informs me jeremy corbyn is a useful idiot of putin.

hmmm.

i dont believe that entirely but unfortunately it does suggest that corbyn was unfortunately unsuitable to run the country. Admittedly he wouldnt have totally hosed us beyond belief and got kicked out in 45 days, but his current actions do suggest he would have been incapable to deal with and deposed in a situation such as we find ourselves with ukraine.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

corbo would never safely and proportionally nuke russia, then the channel

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe if he'd been taken seriously in 2018 when he proposed penalizing Russia by expropriating all their assets in London and getting Russian money out of British politics they wouldn't have decided to gently caress around in Ukraine in the first place, and it was partly tacit financial appeasement that encouraged them. Who knows now?

I remember the Daily Mail opposed that though, it was communism or something.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah very possibly true. a shame it didn't happen.

but right now hes on the wrong path.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The newer ones are fairly self explanatory.

That said, I have no idea what they were thinking with that name!

It is an amazingly unfortunate name - but it's just the merger of the diesel engine company started by Clessie Cummins and the electrical machinery company started by David Onan.

Generators aren't difficult - they start like a petrol lawnmower, they have an On/Off switch for the power and sockets to plug stuff in. Just don't do something stupid like run it indoors and definitely don't get an Illegal Death Cable to plug it into your wall sockets. And don't plug sensitive electronics into one that hasn't got an inbuilt inverter.

I've got an ancient 1970s 2700W portable genny which I bought for £75 on eBay years ago when I was building a shed and new fences at the bottom of the garden and it was more convenient than getting a really long extension cable from the house. Never thought I'd be sizing up what I can and can't run off it in the house in the UK in the 2020s. A functional modern nation with the 6th largest economy in the world...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's an excellent name for making sure I'm never tempted to run it indoors, especially near the carpets, I'll give it that.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Jose...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's busy.

https://twitter.com/I_make_music/status/1586918235265433601

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of backup power stations, I ended up going for one of these after a few days of research. It has pretty good reviews among friends of friends who spend time off grid as well as reviews on Amazon & youtube, and offers 288Wh for £199.

It's Lithium Ion, but I think it's worth the risk over cost... at least in my eyes. I need to be able to guarantee I can continue to use my medical vapes, and to also keep my entertainment tablet, mobile and PMR handheld radio charged. I'm also looking at some 12V bulb options too so I can light whichever room I'm in. The only 220V device I may occasionally use will be the Volcano vapouriser for a few mins at a time, so it won't be under any heavy strain at all. The heaviest use would be charging up 2x18650 batteries, which I have to do 2-3 times a day.

The power station can be charged by wall socket, 12V car socket, solar panel or USB C charger, and has various protection things like over charge and overload. Depending on how things go with society, I might look into getting a 100W solar panel at some stage.

I also bought a 256GB SD card which I'm going to cram with various TV entertainment for the tablet, as I won't be able to power my PC if there's a blackout. I guess I can't be any more prepared than this.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Personal opinion, I’d highly recommend picking up a headlamp if you’re concerned about power cuts. A portable light that’s more practical than your phone’s flash bulb is a bloody godsend, and as an added bonus actually has practical uses outside of a power cut if you’re trying to do any task which requires strong directed light in an otherwise dark area (just think of any time you’ve had to struggle with a phone’s flash to check a leak under a sink or whatever).

I have a black diamond revolt 350, and the amount of light it puts out in high power mode can illuminate an entire room (and as a warning, it will temporarily blind anyone who tries to look at you, like you’re loving god), while it’s low power mode can be used comfortably to navigate dark environments at home or read or paint warhammer minis or whatever else you want to do in your cold dark flat on hell island. Has a red-light mode too to avoid loving up your dark vision, and can be USB charged or powered with AAA batteries. Unsure of the exact battery life but I’ve heard it can do about 200 hours of light on low.

Seriously can’t emphasise enough how much it felt worth it after just one or two basic maintanence tasks. Doesn’t have to be that lamp exactly but the first time you’re in a cellar or round the back of a washing machine doing something that requires two hands and realise you don’t need to hold your phone for light, you will wish you’d bought one earlier.