Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I honestly have no idea what the gently caress everybody is talking about when they talk about all the bootleg products. Like I know they're on there but it is easy as gently caress to not buy them, the real products are incredibly easy to find and the fakes are all really obvious.

Depending on the product there are some they put all in the same bin and just grab one. Even allegedly buying direct from the manufacturer, if it's Fulfilled By Amazon they grab whatever's handy that matches and reshuffle everyone's inventory counts to compensate. So if someone's selling counterfeit product it can end up going to anybody who buys that item regardless of the due diligence they did on their end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

never happened to me therefore i must conclude cope seethe mald dilate skill issue etc

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

hatty posted:

From what I played with the demo it’s more Stella than Harvest, mostly dungeon crawling with some farming in between

We'll see!
I played the demo and liked it well enough. My enjoyment will be directly proportional to how much farm automation there is.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Local man sticks it to multi billion dollar company; brings it to its knees.

Lol yeah I tend to avoid companies that I’ve had bad experiences with. If Amazon still had actual two day shipping like they did a decade ago/let their workers take piss breaks I’d probably still buy things from them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Between Amazon dropping the 20% Prime discount, Walmart dropping the $49.94 in-store pricing, and shop4megastore imploding, I'm running out of places to get cheap Switch games at release.

Amazon Japan is a good bet right now even with shipping costs because the yen is doing so poorly. It's even better if you can order multiple titles at once. But that probably won't last forever--last year the yen was doing considerably better and prices after shipping were about the same as just purchasing locally.

Meanwhile it's not hard to find 10-20% discounts for games on Steam via authorized keyshops, many of which also don't charge tax.

I almost bought Tactics Ogre: Reborn on GMG for $42, but decided that since the game would look better on my OLED than my Deck, so I ordered a copy from Amazon Japan for $44 instead. If I bought it from Amazon US or the eShop it would cost me $54.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Finally finished up Bayo 3 and my takeaway is that it has the coolest weapons in the series so far and that's about where any favorable comparison to the first two games ends.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Between Amazon dropping the 20% Prime discount, Walmart dropping the $49.94 in-store pricing, and shop4megastore imploding, I'm running out of places to get cheap Switch games at release.

Amazon Japan is a good bet right now even with shipping costs because the yen is doing so poorly. It's even better if you can order multiple titles at once. But that probably won't last forever--last year the yen was doing considerably better and prices after shipping were about the same as just purchasing locally.

Meanwhile it's not hard to find 10-20% discounts for games on Steam via authorized keyshops, many of which also don't charge tax.

I almost bought Tactics Ogre: Reborn on GMG for $42, but decided that since the game would look better on my OLED than my Deck, so I ordered a copy from Amazon Japan for $44 instead. If I bought it from Amazon US or the eShop it would cost me $54.

Stock up on eShop cards at Black Friday

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good Citizen posted:

Finally finished up Bayo 3 and my takeaway is that it has the coolest weapons in the series so far and that's about where any favorable comparison to the first two games ends.

don't know if I'd go that far but it does feel like it leans a bit too hard on the gimmicks in a lot of places.
also feels like it's really hard to tell what's going on at times because of the giant demons and giant enemies and the really low-quality transparency effect on said giant things.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Lol yeah I tend to avoid companies that I’ve had bad experiences with. If Amazon still had actual two day shipping like they did a decade ago/let their workers take piss breaks I’d probably still buy things from them.

is prime not next day in the us wtf

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The US is big and it depends where you live

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Everything sold by Amazon is 2 day shipping. If you have Prime they send it out the day after you order, if you don't have Prime then they sit on it for a week and then send it out. Still only ever in transit for 2 days because that's how infrastructure works.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

American McGay posted:

Everything sold by Amazon is 2 day shipping. If you have Prime they send it out the day after you order, if you don't have Prime then they sit on it for a week and then send it out. Still only ever in transit for 2 days because that's how infrastructure works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_-KoBiBG0

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
same day for me, because it's Seattle.

I mainly like it for the locker delivery because I don't have to worry about missing a package because the delivery guy can't get buzzed in or something

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hatty posted:

From what I played with the demo it’s more Stella than Harvest, mostly dungeon crawling with some farming in between

I believe they mentioned some refinements have taken place based on feedback from the demo, so it'll be interesting to see what that ends up being like.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

An Actual Princess posted:

sorry they're definitely all bad

But enough about your posts

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're greatly overestimating the average person's technical knowledge. Especially older people.

But these same people are buying their tech products in the electronics aisle of Walgreens or going to Best Buy and getting up sold on gold plated monster cables.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Amazon used to give me $5 as an apology for late delivery on games if I didn't receive it on release day on top of that Prime discount they used to do so it was pretty nice to order from them for a while. But now I only use them to try and preorder special collector's editions because Im an idiot who needs to pay more money for things I don't need.

I remember getting Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U for $48, then it missed release date delivery by one day and I got a $10 credit. At the time that game also came with a digital copy of Pikmin 3 for free. It was like I got two great games for $38.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I ordered the special edition Pokemon OLED switch from Amazon UK for around the price of a non-special edition OLED here in the US bc of the state of the pound, rip to all the brits out there but worked out for me

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Finished Live a Live a couple days ago after taking a break from it, I highly recommend picking it up and playing it if you haven't already. What a fantastic game, it's a real shame it took this long for it to officially come to the West.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Stux posted:

is prime not next day in the us wtf

It used to be next day for me in the Northeast, but it gradually started taking longer and longer to the point where I cancelled Prime. For me it’s not worth it to pay the membership tee, only for shipping to take longer than a week.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

What's the word on Eastward? It had an initially positive response, then a bunch of people said they didn't finish it or the game got bad by the end. It's on sale now, is it worth it at $15 or is it a pass?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hatty posted:

They've recently built a few fulfillment centers in our area so a lot of stuff on Amazon will ship overnight or same day even. For things that aren't fulfilled locally it's 1-2 days. It's pretty rare for it to be longer than that.

Walmart has started doing free from-store deliveries to compete with that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Viper915 posted:

What's the word on Eastward? It had an initially positive response, then a bunch of people said they didn't finish it or the game got bad by the end. It's on sale now, is it worth it at $15 or is it a pass?

It's all about your jrpg dialogue tolerance imo. I think if they'd had a good editor and streamlined the dialogue down to like ... 30% of what it is it'd be an incredible game.

The pixel art is very good. Iirc the actual gameplay is pretty good, too. It's just that it might be a while between getting to do stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viper915 posted:

It doesn't have the strongest ending but is genuinely the closest a non-Earthbound game has come to feeling like Mother 2 to me

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They've recently built a few fulfillment centers in our area so a lot of stuff on Amazon will ship overnight or same day even. For things that aren't fulfilled locally it's 1-2 days. It's pretty rare for it to be longer than that.

Walmart has started doing free from-store deliveries to compete with that.

Maybe I should move lol, I’m missing out on the good shipping times. I don’t even live in that rural of an area.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The trailer for Eastward is one of the best video game trailers I think I've ever seen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Viper915 posted:

It is bad. Story sucks and the gameplay is just ok, not enough to save it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

External Organs posted:

The trailer for Eastward is one of the best video game trailers I think I've ever seen.
Did you buy it?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The first third or so of Eastward is pretty good and the game looks great. Then the story starts to drag really, really bad.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

Did you buy it?

Yeah, I burned out shortly after the tutorial area.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Did you like playing inventory Tetris in RE 4? Well now there's a puzzle game coming out just like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF19gXrBCCA

Could be fun. Backoack Hero is a similar game like that and it's pretty good.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

am i crazy for buying like 80% of my gaming-related things at gamestop? never had a problem, and the pro membership thing has more than paid for itself after only a few months of buying and reselling.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Maybe I should move lol, I’m missing out on the good shipping times. I don’t even live in that rural of an area.
They tend to build fulfillment centers in semi-rural outlying areas near a major metro. They're trying to optimize between low cost of land and property taxes, and a pool of desperate workers they can pay minimum wage.

Honestly I'm not really sure why I have Prime anymore. Even non-Prime customers get next day shipping around here. We rarely watch Prime Video anymore, and there's no more Prime Savings on games. I suppose there's the Twitch and Prime Gaming stuff but I don't use either enough to make them worth it. Then again, I think my Prime re-upped last month so I'll probably forget about it by re-up time next year.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They seemingly offer you endless free months of Prime. I order maybe 5 things a year on Amazon and I always just sign up for the free trial during checkout and get free shipping and then immediately cancel it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pingiivi posted:

The first third or so of Eastward is pretty good and the game looks great. Then the story starts to drag really, really bad.

I had to check to make sure that Eastward wasn't the name of that awesome-lookin' 2D-HD thing they indied a while ago. Thankfully not.

Then YouTube showed me this, which would've been entirely my jam back in college:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hOCd8cejIM

Still looks well-made, but neither my hands nor my eyes are up to that kind of thing anymore.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

am i crazy for buying like 80% of my gaming-related things at gamestop? never had a problem, and the pro membership thing has more than paid for itself after only a few months of buying and reselling.

I traded in splatoon 2 and kirby and got bayonetta for five bucks. I’m glad it exists when I’m too lazy to ebay my physicals.

Anyways it’s been a week and today I will pop it open and give the game a try. Had to finish my first playthrough of Mother 3 drat that was a good game.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

abelwingnut posted:

When I was a kid and they opened an EB here, I sold most of my N64 games just to buy a few new games. I kinda miss when they actually gave you cash. And a decent deal. I remember selling Pokemon Gold a few months after it came out, and getting $40 cash for it. Wish I held on to it now through.

Last time I traded anything in was when I sold Nier Automata, and I had to go through a whole NSA check to make sure I wasn't selling something I stole out of the mall dumpster. But at least I got like, $8 store credit toward Tony Hawk 1+2 for the 10 minutes of hassle, I guess.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

abelwingnut posted:

Nah, It's literally just a store. I've bought plenty of stuff from them for decades no hassle unless you consider them pushing annoying subscriptions for 15 seconds a hassle but that's not up to them lol they're just doing their job like the rest of us.

I've gotten plenty of cool poo poo from there over the years, maybe my singular one bad experience during 15 years is when they slapped a stupid sticker on my used copy of resident evil 4, haven't seen it done since.

Now digital or online is my new best friend though because spending effort on things is annoying. If I'm impatient though, yeah, I'll totally walk into a GameStop or Best buy or whatever

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

I used them once to get my Danganronpa Decadence special edition and it went fine, but delivery was slow

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My best GameStop experience was when I bought a used Vita in 2019. I went to GameStop because I wanted to see it in person before buying. I definitely spend more ($120? I can't remember) on it at the time than I would have if I bought it on eBay, but then 2020 happened and prices on Vitas went way up.

My worst GameStop experience was ordering a "new" copy of Resident Evil Triple Pack online and it didn't come with a case. How? It was "new"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i was a manager at gamestop and my only good experience there was getting a 1.0 psp for the employee discount. i ended up losing the loving thing a few years ago tho. i worked the year the ps4 and wii came out and i would get death threats about once a week over the wii. me and the 911 dispatch lady (small town) were good friends after the first few times

i actually had to go testify in court like 5 times