Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Majorian posted:

It's an interesting question, and I appreciate you posting the video - but remember, we're not talking about GBS or another other forum in this thread!:)

I could rephrase it as the anti- vs. pro-ukrainians if you'd prefer. I am interested in the more underlying, conceptual conflict between opposing ways of understanding both this conflict and the world in general. Specific subforums or threads might resemble certain positions more than others, they do little more than reproduce the underlying conceptual pre-assumptions.

edit: like this.

oscarthewilde posted:

reading the godawful QCS thread (rather, it started it out good, but then descended into the exact kind of moralistic slapfighting it was meant to address) I was suddenly reminded of Thucydides' Melian Dialogue. It looks to me that what I'd vaguely describe as the anti-Ukranians, of which this thread is a decent example, resembles the Athenian, 'realist' position that understands politics and warfare as fundamentally determined by raw, naked power, while the moralistic Melian position - preferring death in defeat over life in negotiated surrender - can be recognised in the more loud voices in the Western pro-Ukrainians (not to mention the Ukrainians themselves, once you've found yourselves in an existential life-or-death struggle you can hardly interpret the conflict in any other manner). Interesting to know what you all think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzHOqjMHwY

oscarthewilde has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Anyone excited about the fact that world war 3 has started? Because it has.

i hope russia and nato lose.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Dixon Chisholm posted:

uh its just an internet poll, we can still all be friends regardless of the results

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

oscarthewilde posted:

I could rephrase it as the anti- vs. pro-ukrainians if you'd prefer. I am interested in the more underlying, conceptual conflict between opposing ways of understanding both this conflict and the world in general. Specific subforums or threads might resemble certain positions more than others, they do little more than reproduce the underlying conceptual pre-assumptions.

Sure, that would be interesting. Thanks!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ardennes posted:

Either way, it is certainly going to have an effect, supply lines and energy prices really didn't need another shock coming in after COVID and the much of the West is in a rather intractiable economic mess. The UK is already saying the recession is going to be 2+ years in part because it is going to be very difficult to provide the type of stimulus measures available during COVID because of inflation.

So...I don't know if capitalism is going to go but I wouldn't say it is looking that healthy either.

https://www.ft.com/content/088d3368-bb8b-4ff3-9df7-a7680d4d81b2

quote:

Inflation remains at — or close to — its highest level in decades in many countries, with Russia’s invasion of Ukraine pushing up energy and food prices, and squeezing households’ real incomes.

The latest figures for most of the world’s largest economies make for worrying reading, with price pressures surging to the highest level in many decades. In some countries, pressures have eased from their recent peaks. But, in many cases, this is only the result of government packages to shield consumers from soaring energy prices.

The energy crisis is particularly acute in Europe where the price paid for electricity by consumers, which is pegged to the cost of the most expensive feedstock, has increased sharply in line with soaring gas prices.

Central banks have reacted by raising interest rates, even though higher borrowing costs could exacerbate the squeeze on real incomes.

High inflation remains geographically broad-based. Consumer price growth has even started rising in Asia, a region that until recently had largely been an exception to the worldwide pattern.

This page provides a regularly updated visual narrative of consumer price inflation around the world. This includes economists’ expectations for the future, which show inflation projections being steadily revised up for 2023, according to leading forecasters polled by Consensus Economics.

Investors’ expectations of where inflation will be five years from now have been volatile in the past months reflecting central banks’ more aggressive tightening, which lowers medium-term inflation, coupled with higher and volatile gas prices that could push inflation up. In some countries, particularly in Europe, governments’ fiscal packages to offset the higher cost of energy are having an impact on inflation expectations.

Higher interest rates have also raised the chances of a recession in some countries, with economists fearing a return to the stagflation of the 1970s — a situation characterised by persistent price pressures and weak growth.

The rise in energy prices drove inflation up in many countries, even before Russia invaded Ukraine. Daily data show how the pressure has intensified on the back of a conflict that has left Europe fearing for its gas supply over the coming quarters.

Higher inflation is also spreading beyond energy to many other items, especially in countries where demand is strong enough for businesses to pass on higher costs.

Rising prices limit what households can spend on goods and services. For the less well-off, this could lead to people struggling to afford basics such as food and shelter.

Daily data on staple goods, such as the wholesale price of breakfast ingredients, provide an up-to-date indicator of the pressures faced by consumers. In developing countries, the wholesale cost of these ingredients has a larger impact on final food prices; food also accounts for a larger share of household spending.

Another point of concern is asset prices, especially for houses.

These soared in many countries during the pandemic, boosted by ultra loose monetary policy, homeworkers’ desire for more space and government income-support schemes. However, higher mortgage rates are already leading to a significant slowdown in house price growth in many countries.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
we need to talk about Greater Tartary's role in this conflict

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I am exited to see the new and innovative ways Britain will destroy itself

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I am exited to see the new and innovative ways Britain will destroy itself

What can bombs do that policies aren't going to do far more effectively

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/korry1389/status/1576124102758178816

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I think people need to define what they mean by "imperialist" (or come up with another term). In this content, the term is almost always used to attempt to draw some sort of parallel with the US.

there are two kinds of imperialism: one for the US (which is fine and the lesser of two evils) and the other is for the US’s enemies (all of whom are Hitlerian and unforgivable)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What can bombs do that policies aren't going to do far more effectively

por que no los dos???

speng31b
May 8, 2010

These are no hit-and-run skirmishers or snipers. Orcs are brutes. They’ll charge, they’ll fight hand-to-hand, and they’ll retreat only with the greatest reluctance when seriously wounded. (Being fanatical valuers of physical courage, orcs—unlike most creatures—are more willing to fight to the death.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Everyone will be extremely shocked if USA manages to find the real red line.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

5e sucks btw. AD&D 2e is GOATed

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

If Minsk 2 had been upheld thousands of Ukrainians wouldn't be dead, thousands of Russians wouldn't be dead and Europe wouldn't be in danger of freezing while going broke. The war is going to end with a pen and paper eventually but the money had to get its' way. loving poo poo sucks. Our leaders are monsters.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This looks very goofy.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

If Minsk 2 had been upheld thousands of Ukrainians wouldn't be dead, thousands of Russians wouldn't be dead and Europe wouldn't be in danger of freezing while going broke. The war is going to end with a pen and paper eventually but the money had to get its' way. loving poo poo sucks. Our leaders are monsters.

Any parley with the orcs will be brief (no more than a handful of chances to cajole, bluff or bully them) and somewhat one-sided, as the orcs will issue nothing but demands and threats. At this point, any hostile action on the PCs’ party, including moving closer than 30 feet for any reason, will end the parley immediately and initiate combat. But a smooth talker may be able to stave off an attack by making a Charisma (Persuasion) check with disadvantage—against DC 15, say, or maybe DC 20 if the orcs are there for a specific purpose, such as guarding something or staking a territorial claim. If it succeeds, the orcs’ attitude will shift from hostile to indifferent; if it fails, however, give the party only one more chance to successfully reach a détente.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Cold take: it’s gonna get cold and slow and then the narrative will be truly unbearable leading up to the spring offensives.

Agree, if Ukraine doesn't get a toehold on Kherson before first snows this fall, it's going to be much harder to take the city after the Russians have had six months of winter to dig in

I don't know how cold it gets there, but I'd imagine it's pretty miserable come January

March of next year will be brutal

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

5e sucks btw. AD&D 2e is GOATe

It has got the best settings, but the mechanics aren't the best. The fact that people to this day are this running generic Tolkien-style games is kind of sad though.

---------

Guys, the average temperature in March in Kherson is 48 degrees. It doesn't really get that cold there. Not every place in the former Soviet Union is the Battle of Moscow style snowdrifts. It is like thinking Viriginia gets the same weather as upstate New York.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Nov 4, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

yeah but at least putin is hurting

whats that? hes not hurting from this?

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
my main aim when running D&D is getting drunk and protecting my npcs from the neverending advances of horny

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

my main aim when running D&D is getting drunk and protecting my npcs from the neverending advances of horny

what kind of dnd games are you running?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

sexy ones ... apparently

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The GURPS historical books are annoyingly well researched and written for a game not intended for anyone to play.

I tried GURPS once as a young lad and hated it for being unwieldy and not particularly fun. While I was dating my future wife she gushed about a GURPS game she was in and eventually she got me to join a different GURPS group with her. It quickly became very apparent that the 'GURPS' group she liked so much was only using the books for flavor text and the occasional 3d6 roll and had homebrewed replacements for basically every other GURPS mechanic. That group dissolved the session after we had our first 'combat' encounter because nobody wanted to navigate the combat rules again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

5e sucks btw. AD&D 2e is GOATed

Using my first post in this thread to agree with this

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

i can't imagine why wealthy american financiers would want to keep this war chugging along, maybe the epstein thread can cast some light on this mystery within an enigma?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the Russian 5 will be victorious Larionov is still looking great and Konstantinov will be healed

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

speng31b posted:

The last horny session was a wild party at a mansion and one of my players was sexually harrassing one of the live performers, they were very interested in her feet and other body parts also, but mainly the feet. I've also had other players have sexual advances laid upon them while taking a piss or ripping a bong or whatever players do when I'm talking too much

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

:chloe:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

stop DMing for bust rodd

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

I tried GURPS once as a young lad and hated it for being unwieldy and not particularly fun. While I was dating my future wife she gushed about a GURPS game she was in and eventually she got me to join a different GURPS group with her. It quickly became very apparent that the 'GURPS' group she liked so much was only using the books for flavor text and the occasional 3d6 roll and had homebrewed replacements for basically every other GURPS mechanic. That group dissolved the session after we had our first 'combat' encounter because nobody wanted to navigate the combat rules again.

It's been nearly a decade now but GURPS was the thing that made tabletop rpgs "click" in my head.

I'd played through Icewind Dale and other infinity engine games before but never quite understood how they worked, but GURPS's basic mechanic of "roll three six-sided dice, and the thing you attempt succeeds if the total is less than your stat for the thing" was what made the basic principle make sense.

From there it was possible to grasp D&D's "roll a twenty-sided die, plus bonuses, and the thing you attempt succeeds if the total is greater than a certain number"

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Yeah this is when I learned sexual harrassment is real and not good. It's really difficult to defuse the situation without just calling them out and having it become a drama as well.

The victim player resigned after that incident and blocked everyone. We were all RL friends too.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

The last horny session was a wild party at a mansion and one of my players was sexually harrassing one of the live performers, they were very interested in her feet and other body parts also, but mainly the feet. I've also had other players have sexual advances laid upon them while taking a piss or ripping a bong or whatever players do when I'm talking too much

you're running d&d seshs at wild mansion parties with horny creeps? this entire scenario isnt making sense in my head

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's a lot better than https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvqCWCJMMh4

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

redneck nazgul posted:

stop DMing for bust rodd

lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

Agree, if Ukraine doesn't get a toehold on Kherson before first snows this fall, it's going to be much harder to take the city after the Russians have had six months of winter to dig in

I don't know how cold it gets there, but I'd imagine it's pretty miserable come January

March of next year will be brutal

Even if Russia withdraws to the other bank and cedes Kherson city, likely gonna be a lot of sitting around staring at one another across obnoxious natural and manmade onstacles and firing artillery.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

speng31b posted:

you're running d&d seshs at wild mansion parties with horny creeps? this entire scenario isnt making sense in my head

One horny creep, the others had a great time. The horny creep in question was not always a horny creep at every session but the signs were there.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

how have we already strayed off topic?!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i do think the vitriol of the pro-ukrainian side is largely confined to social media.

lol of course, nobody cares about this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CODChimera posted:

how have we already strayed off topic?!

I know, it's so unlike us!