Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The FFXIV bards are very cool and good and more importantly Guydelot and Sanson are very good NPCs that more people should experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/northswain/status/1588135363624652806?s=46&t=cM-cQWHNrT_AP1krm1AjQA

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All Warriors of Light canonically love playing WElcome to the Black Parade on trumpet in the middle of Limsa, sorry but that's the hard truth.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Funky Valentine posted:

All Warriors of Light canonically love playing WElcome to the Black Parade on trumpet in the middle of Limsa, sorry but that's the hard truth.

Freefalling at the Midsummer jumping puzzle.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mainwaring posted:

When you're putting materia on the market board compare the default price the game sets (this is what you'd get from selling it to a vendor) to the price people are selling it for.
Remarkably often people will list materia on the market board for the same price or less than a vendor would buy it, if that happens you can right-click -> "have retainer sell this item" to immediately vendor it from the same screen you'd lose to create a listing for it.

Edit: as a rule of thumb materia vendor for about 130gil so if you're ever listing materia on the market board for less than 200 you're probably better off vendoring it
Tooltips contain a lot of information people are often not aware of, including the vendor price. I wrote a bunch of :words: on tooltips for a friend before, would that be of any interest here?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

orcane posted:

Tooltips contain a lot of information people are often not aware of, including the vendor price. I wrote a bunch of :words: on tooltips for a friend before, would that be of any interest here?

:justpost:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

orcane posted:

Post it yeah, it's stuff new players won't know because the tooltips are kinda arcane.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Had a great run in Eureka pyros last night. Got together with a higher level party and smashed out the zone’s last 10ish levels in 1-2 hours.

I’m almost there!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Alright, I extended it a bit to cover a few more details. First I'll look at the tooltip of equipment:

The top will be empty if you can freely trade an item, or contain information on why you can't:

• Unique means you can't have this item more than once per "inventory". Your equipped gear, bags and armory chest are one inventory, chocobo saddlebags are a different inventory, and each retainer is yet another unique inventory. If you need to keep multiples of a unique item, like treasure maps, you can spread them to your saddlebags, all retainers and even to your mailbox (you'll have to get them sent there from someone else).
  • Untradeable are items that can't be traded between players at all, ie. most gear that drops or is bought for tokens.
  • Binding means a previously tradeable item is now untradeable because it started spiritbinding once you "used" it. There's a way around this for furniture I won't get into here.

Also in the first line there are three icons in the top right corner:

• The first one tells you whether an item can have a crest added to it. Crests are your FC icons, they can usually go on chestpieces, helmets and shields. To add a crest, go to the grand company HQ of your free company, and talk to the "OIC Officer of Arms". If you don't know what GC your FC belongs to, check the FC panel:

• The 2nd icon on equipment tooltips indicates whether an item can go into the glamour dresser. Most gear can be stored there, notable exceptions are items which are not allowed to lose their customization (eg. wedding rings or relic weapons in some stages).
  • The third item tells you that an item can be stored in the armoire. This applies to most seasonal event rewards, achievement rewards and some artifact gear. The advantage is that items in the armoire don't take up inventory- or glamour dresser slots, and they can be freely added to glamour plates. The downside is that you can't store items in the armoire with their (expensive) dyes.

Now the actual icon of the gear you're looking at and an alternative example:

• The first vertical bar is spiritbonding, if it's full it's at 100% and ready to be extracted (see below).
  • The 2nd bar is repair status/condition.
  • The plus sign tells you something else is glamoured over the original item, the color of the sign is the dye color. If the item that's glamoured over the original item can't be dyed, like in the 2nd icon, the plus sign will be black with a red border (in this example you also see the spiritbonding bar is empty).

I'm not going to talk much about the stats and materia parts, those are MMO basics. With one exception:

"Advanced Melding Forbidden" means you can't overmeld (add more materia than the available slots, up to five total). In my example at the beginning, you can see this line is missing and there are two empty materia slots. Melding materia in those has a 100% chance. Since it's a crafted item you can also overmeld it and add up to three more materia, but they have an increasingly high chance to blow up.

The information density at the bottom of the tooltip gets very high:
  • Condition is your repair status (at 0% you lose the item stats, if you're a crafter you can repair items above 100%). If you use a repair NPC, it will cost you the gil listed in the Quick Repairs line to restore the item to 100% condition.
  • Spiritbond goes up as you earn XP in the job using the item. This can be accelerated with spiritbonding consumables and by having materia slotted into the item.
  • Repair Level is the minimum level and crafting job you need to repair the item yourself. Personal repair consumes a catalyst listed in the Materials line.
  • Materia Melding tells you what job and level you need to meld materia to the item yourself (otherwise you can request melds from other players or use the melding NPCs). This was streamlined a while ago, in the past it required the specific job that repairs the item, now it just takes any crafter of the appropriate level.
  • Extractable means you can use materia extraction at 100% spiritbond to get free materia (this doesn't destroy the item, it only did so in the distant past).
  • Projectable means you can use it to glamour over other stuff.
  • Desynthesizable lists the level and respective desynth skill you need to get a chance for "rare" materials, otherwise it will only yield basic materials (and level up the skill). Originally you couldn't desynth an item at all if your desynth skill level was lower than this requirement. This will say "N" for items that can't be desynthesized, often the latest raid-, tomestone- or scrip gear.
  • Market Prohibited means you can't put the item on the market, but some items can still be traded player to player as long as they're not untradeable (eg. the carbonized matter required for early gatherer quests, or some materials from FC airship/submarine voyages).
  • The very last line is the crafter tag, it will say "Obtaining Signature" if the crafter didn't log in since the last downtime (it's also a valid name and a bunch of people have it across all datacenters). This will be stripped along with glamours and materia if you put the item into the glamour dresser.

I intentionally kept the two vendor lines for last, they're very useful for crafters and if you want to sell your stuff in general. Here's an example of a dye tooltip:

Shop Selling Price tells you whether an item can be bought from NPCs and for how much. If you're buying something on the market, you probably don't need to buy it for 1500 gil if it's on a vendor for 50 (but yes, sometimes you don't want to teleport all over the world to save a few hundred gil either).
  • None means it's not available from NPC vendors for gil (it can still be available for other currencies).
  • A gil value tells you there's an NPC somewhere who will sell it to you. For crafting mats that's often a starting city crafting vendor, a crafting guild vendor, a housing zone material vendor or the vendor NPCs you can put into houses and apartments (they don't have the same inventory as the vendor outside).
  • If the gil value says (Restricted), that means you have to unlock the vendor first (eg. through questlines or daily reputations).
Finally, "Sells for gil" is what you get for right-click vendoring something to a shopkeeper or your retainer, as an example it lets you quickly decide not to put materia with a vendor price of 217 gil on the market if undercutters have crashed the price to 200 gil.

orcane fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 4, 2022

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've spent the last few days not doing the MSQ, and instead, running around doing various other things, like trying to level crafting/gathering jobs and do the quests related to them, low level levequests and guildhests, some dungeons I skipped, etc.

Some of it (like the leves and guildhests) I did as part of checking off boxes for the weekly challenge log. For the most part, though, I feel like I've spent a lot of time with no real aim. One milestone that I accomplished was completing the Level 50 Weaver Quest, so I got Clotho and the Top Hat. However, most of the Lvl.50 Weaver items to make require materials that I don't think I have access to yet (the Rainbow thread).

One quest that I've managed to access is getting Relic Weapons/Zodiac Weapons. However, the Black Mage staff I have from the Poetics (the Augmented Ironworks Magitek Rod) is a lot stronger than the Zodiac Weapon (the Stardust Rod). It looks like I can upgrade the Zodiac weapons, but from what I gather from the wiki, it seems like it's not worth it to pursue that avenue, since there's higher tier Relic weapons (Anima, Eureka, etc.).

A few of the crafting/gathering quests have brought up materia, and I realized that I've really not messed with materia at all in all the time I've played. I never finished Mutamix's quest to meld materia for him, and I had to look up how you actually find materia (you just extract it from 100% spiritbonded gear). However, I don't really have a whole lot of gear that has slots for materia (the mix of Augmented Ironworks/Evenstar that I wear is currently the highest rated stuff I have, and it doesn't have materia slots), and the stuff I do have that has slots doesn't really seem high level enough to get a huge boost from materia (added a couple of materia to crafting gear to get better results, but it only gives you like +5 points).

I dunno, I just kind of feel lost as to what to do. I know how to progress with the MSQ, but there's fifty-thousand other things I can do, and I don't know what to focus on. Maybe continuing with the MSQ and getting into Heavensward will open doors to make things easier, but there's so many things that I have no clue about, like scrip exchange, retainer vocations, treasure hunt, glamours, and so on.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Max Wilco posted:

However, most of the Lvl.50 Weaver items to make require materials that I don't think I have access to yet (the Rainbow thread).

Yeah, unfortunately this is a problem you'll start running into at this point with crafting outpacing MSQ: materials that are in zones you can't access yet, since the post-ARR game much more heavily gates zone access behind MSQ progress. There's not much to be done about it besides just work on MSQ or buy materials on the market board.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Max Wilco posted:

So I've spent the last few days not doing the MSQ, and instead, running around doing various other things, like trying to level crafting/gathering jobs and do the quests related to them, low level levequests and guildhests, some dungeons I skipped, etc.

Some of it (like the leves and guildhests) I did as part of checking off boxes for the weekly challenge log. For the most part, though, I feel like I've spent a lot of time with no real aim. One milestone that I accomplished was completing the Level 50 Weaver Quest, so I got Clotho and the Top Hat. However, most of the Lvl.50 Weaver items to make require materials that I don't think I have access to yet (the Rainbow thread).

One quest that I've managed to access is getting Relic Weapons/Zodiac Weapons. However, the Black Mage staff I have from the Poetics (the Augmented Ironworks Magitek Rod) is a lot stronger than the Zodiac Weapon (the Stardust Rod). It looks like I can upgrade the Zodiac weapons, but from what I gather from the wiki, it seems like it's not worth it to pursue that avenue, since there's higher tier Relic weapons (Anima, Eureka, etc.).

A few of the crafting/gathering quests have brought up materia, and I realized that I've really not messed with materia at all in all the time I've played. I never finished Mutamix's quest to meld materia for him, and I had to look up how you actually find materia (you just extract it from 100% spiritbonded gear). However, I don't really have a whole lot of gear that has slots for materia (the mix of Augmented Ironworks/Evenstar that I wear is currently the highest rated stuff I have, and it doesn't have materia slots), and the stuff I do have that has slots doesn't really seem high level enough to get a huge boost from materia (added a couple of materia to crafting gear to get better results, but it only gives you like +5 points).

I dunno, I just kind of feel lost as to what to do. I know how to progress with the MSQ, but there's fifty-thousand other things I can do, and I don't know what to focus on. Maybe continuing with the MSQ and getting into Heavensward will open doors to make things easier, but there's so many things that I have no clue about, like scrip exchange, retainer vocations, treasure hunt, glamours, and so on.
Re: relics. You don't get them for the stats, you get them because they look cool as gently caress. Sure there's "higher tier" Relics than the Zodiac weapons, but frankly they're some of the best looking weapons in the entire game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pV83gom4XY

I will forever maintain that Excalibur and Holy Shield Zeta are the best PLD weapons, as are Sasuke's Blades Zeta for NIN.

The grind is a hellish nightmare though especially if you're only level 50 so you're probably better off going for an Anima weapon anyway.

Re: Materia. It only matters at max level. Anything below that you're not gonna keep long enough for the investment to matter.

Re: Retainer vocations. One gatherer, one combat class. Which ones don't matter as long as you have one of each.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The ARR relics try to trick you, make you think that FATE grinding is the most tedious thing in the world.

Then come the books.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Funky Valentine posted:

The ARR relics try to trick you, make you think that FATE grinding is the most tedious thing in the world.

Then come the books.

The light grind is loving boring as well

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GilliamYaeger posted:

Re: Retainer vocations. One gatherer, one combat class. Which ones don't matter as long as you have one of each.

Pick jobs you're leveling, so you can hand them down gear. The retainer's gear does affect what ventures they can do and the rewards they get

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you should do what you feel like doing but the real answer is just do the MSQ imo. when you get into heavensward it will get good and then you'll be invested enough to know, do i want to spend time doing x for y? for relics, the arr ones are a big grind compared to the later ones so the only reasonable answer is no. the poetics gear will be basically the best possible for all old content and there's no reason to bother with materia until endgame tbh

scrips are kind of like the poetics equivalent for crafters. you get them from collectible turn-ins and will first want to spend them on the 50-60-70-80 gear. like any other job crafters have class quests too; i did not care to get invested in the ARR ones but they get better, and when you get to shadowbringers and endwalker there is a capstone quest if you do all the job quests for each archetype and that was good motivation for me. levequests are only useful getting crafters through the first 50 levels in my experience

for retainers, go to your grand company and do expert delivery provision turn-ins for excess gear you get from dungeons. trade that currency in for ventures at the quartermaster then you can send your retainers on long or short excursions to level them up and theyll bring you back stuff. its mostly just for money-making. you can sell stuff on the marketboard through your retainer so the HQ gear you get from msq stuff is probably worth more selling it than turning it in

treasure hunt groups are probably going to be for level 90 maps. youll start to get maps once youre into heavensward and doing the weekly catbook, or from gathering

tribal quests also have a capstone quest that makes doing them appealing but you'll definitely want to wait until you clear ARR and get flying in all those zones

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

S.J. posted:

The light grind is loving boring as well

Yeah but the books are straight up intimidating those things absolutely killed my relic attempt when I realized I had to do 9 of them one at a time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The books both were and weren't as bad as I was expecting. Simply put, I got lucky in that I got to working on them while also doing MSQ on the side after returning to the game. Easier to do book stuff when you're doing post realm reborn tele-hopping all over the goddamn place.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’ve heard you can destroy your ARR relic to progress your HW relic. If I do that, do I need to put it toward’s the same job’s HW relic or can I mix and match?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, unfortunately this is a problem you'll start running into at this point with crafting outpacing MSQ: materials that are in zones you can't access yet, since the post-ARR game much more heavily gates zone access behind MSQ progress. There's not much to be done about it besides just work on MSQ or buy materials on the market board.

I guess I just need to make some progress in the MSQ, then.

I've bought some materials on the market boards, but only if it's stuff I can find at reasonable prices. I got a Rose Gold Egg for cheap, which is one of the materials you need for one of the items, but some materials get pretty pricey because they're all in huge quantities.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Re: relics. You don't get them for the stats, you get them because they look cool as gently caress. Sure there's "higher tier" Relics than the Zodiac weapons, but frankly they're some of the best looking weapons in the entire game:

I will forever maintain that Excalibur and Holy Shield Zeta are the best PLD weapons, as are Sasuke's Blades Zeta for NIN.

The grind is a hellish nightmare though especially if you're only level 50 so you're probably better off going for an Anima weapon anyway.

Re: Materia. It only matters at max level. Anything below that you're not gonna keep long enough for the investment to matter.

I had a feeling the relics were more of a Fashion Fantasy XIV thing, but I wasn't entirely sure. I'm only Level 54 on Black Mage, so yeah, it's probably best to revisit it when I've got a couple dozen more levels.

As far as retainers go, I only have one retainer, who is a Thamaturge, so I can look into promoting them to Black Mage, and then hire a second retainer to be a gatherer. Probably need the extra storage space from the second retainer as well.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I had a feeling the relics were more of a Fashion Fantasy XIV thing, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Old relics are fashion. The current (whenever current happens to be) relic is "here's something to grind between expansions, it will eventually be one of the best things you can get before the next expansion."

However, because relics are relics, the grind to make and upgrade them never goes away, though it is occasionally mitigated a bit as time goes on, I believe.

I have never bothered to take a relic past the first step, to this point, though now that I am actually caught up to the point where the relic grind begins for the post-EW relic, I am going to attempt to do this one. I cannot possibly imagine going back and doing the ones from the previous expansions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I've done exactly one step of one ARR relic, and Curtana will rest forever under sacred protection of my PLD retainer named after a webcomic character

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
As someone said, set your retainers to jobs you focus on, because the retainer level is limited by YOUR job level. If you set them to Botanist but your Botanist level is 10, the retainer won't be able to level past 10.

Max Wilco posted:

glamours, and so on.

If you haven't unlocked glamours, I think the quest is in Vesper Bay. You might have to do a quest about dyeing first? At any rate, once you've unlocked the feature, the best way to do it is to spend one glamour prism to put an item into your glamour chest at any Inn room. From the glamour chest interface, you can create "glamour plates", allowing you to create entire outfit glamours out of any items you've put in the chest (or any items in your Armoire, where you can store stuff like seasonal event outfits or veteran rewards for free). You can create up to 20 glamour plates, and applying them does not cost you any glamour prisms. You can just apply the glamour plates on the fly in any "town" type area (where there's a crescent moon symbol next to your Exp bar), or you can "link" glamour plates to jobs, by going to your job list and bringing up the menu. Linked plates are applied whenever you switch to that job (if you're not in a town area, it can't newly apply a glamour, but any glamour successfully applied to that equipment previously will still be active).

The main thing to be aware of is that you can only apply a glamour using items that particular job can wear (so no glaming a physical job with equipment exclusive to mages), and the item you're glamouring over has to have an equal or higher EQUIP LEVEL (not iLvl) to the item your using as the glamour. That can be a problem where your level 50 tomestone gear has better stats and iLVL than a level 51 dungeon drop- you can't glamour over the 50 tomestone gear because the 51 dungeon drop has a higher equip level.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’ve heard you can destroy your ARR relic to progress your HW relic. If I do that, do I need to put it toward’s the same job’s HW relic or can I mix and match?

You can mix and match. I ground out the spear ARR relic, and turned it in to start the Summoner HW relic.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 4, 2022

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Is there any real reason I should be repairing my equipment myself instead of paying the NPC menders? I know you can 'over'-repair your equipment, but frankly it's a weird day when my stuff drops below 85% anyway and it's just so easy to pay someone else a trifle to fix it back up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Picayune posted:

Is there any real reason I should be repairing my equipment myself instead of paying the NPC menders? I know you can 'over'-repair your equipment, but frankly it's a weird day when my stuff drops below 85% anyway and it's just so easy to pay someone else a trifle to fix it back up.
It's pretty helpful for gear you're going to use a lot while far from any merchants (for example, your gathering gear, or if you're repeatedly grinding a specific duty for a rare minion/mount drop), or if you just wanna be able to scratch "remember to repair my gear before I leave" off your list of in-game chores in exchange for buying a giant stack of Dark Matter and keeping it in your inventory.

It's also more cost-effective to use Dark Matter than pay a merchant, assuming you're going to actually use all of the over-repair durability, but not by enough to really be worth worrying about.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

You can also get dark matter with company seals or wolf marks, both of which are currencies it's easy to cap on and nice to have something to dump them into. Wolf marks are an especially cheap way to get dark matter if you PvP basically ever.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Dark Matter repair strikes me as more of a dedicated raiding thing where I guess multiple wipes would crunch durability faster. Even when I do crazy dedicated farming and forget to vendor repair for a few days getting my stuff down to 30% across the board is barely breaking 5 digits in gil. I can get that by sweeping my duties for the day or selling one good item as an omnicrafter 90. I made like 20 million after costs getting to that and you need a high enough prof to do your own repairs anyway, right?

Do repair prices spike hard at 90? I carry a stack in chocobo saddle just in case but I've never touched it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Dark matter can also repair things up to 199%, which doesn't make a huge difference in most situations, but does mean I can just ignore my gear longer and not worry about it. It's not a big thing, but it can be nice QoL.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Picayune posted:

I mainly do it as a QoL bonus, I can entirely forget about talking to menders and I never end up having to leave my squadron/inn room only to repair an item I wanted to store in the glamour chest, because its at 98% durability.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Doomykins posted:

Dark Matter repair strikes me as more of a dedicated raiding thing where I guess multiple wipes would crunch durability faster. Even when I do crazy dedicated farming and forget to vendor repair for a few days getting my stuff down to 30% across the board is barely breaking 5 digits in gil. I can get that by sweeping my duties for the day or selling one good item as an omnicrafter 90. I made like 20 million after costs getting to that and you need a high enough prof to do your own repairs anyway, right?

Do repair prices spike hard at 90? I carry a stack in chocobo saddle just in case but I've never touched it.

They don't spike so it's just a minor gil saving, but it's convenient in lots of ways. If you're mid raid lockout and need repairs you can just do them right there (and now even repair for someone else), instead of having to leave the instance. This is especially useful if you're progging a fight with a checkpoint.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Adding this to one of the OPs.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That you orcane, I never got the inconsistent symbol in the corner of glammed inventory items.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 4, 2022

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe continuing with the MSQ and getting into Heavensward will open doors to make things easier, but there's so many things that I have no clue about, like scrip exchange,

Collectables/Scrip exchange don't get unlocked until you're in Heavensward in an extremely early quest, so you won't even be able to do that until then. From here out there's a main city for each expansion and a endgame city, and each endgame city has a scrip exchange vendor to unlock.

The basic thing there is there are Collectibles you can gather or craft, FSH ones are random but BTN/MIN have a bit of a minigame to get quality up and the crafting classes depend on the HQ bar when crafting them. There are generic turn-ins always available at the Collectable Appraisers, and later on some Custom Delivery NPCs that want certain specific things each week that are usually trivial to craft. You get a certain amount of white scrip that depends on just how high the HQ/collectable meter goes, there's 3 tiers and below that they're worthless.

At max level, custom deliveries and the max-level collectables give purple scrip which is useful for some endgame stuff.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

For the ARR relics I would recommend maybe doing the first couple steps (up to right before you have to start grinding fates) because you get a fairly cool weapon out of them and its relatively not super grindy.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: Materia, I'm personally a fan of keeping some around for slotting while leveling because:
- Leveling materia is usually quite cheap, at least for combat jobs.
- Having materia slotted increases your spiritbond rate for that gear, which gets you more free materia.
- Slotting and removing leveling materia is a 100% chance of success so you're guaranteed to get back any money you spend on initial materia.
- Having more numbers is fun even if, yes, they do go away when your gear syncs down in level.

How often your gear gets downsynced depends on what you're doing. It'll usually be the case in roulettes, unless you get lucky. When queueing for the highest level dungeon you can access, whether you're limited by job level or story progress you're almost by definition unlikely to be wearing gear from beyond that point so your melds will be active even if your level is synced.

Leveling materia is in no way a big deal and I would absolutely not suggest anyone pentameld anything while leveling. For anyone unfamiliar: on specifically crafted gear you can overmeld materia, adding more materia than the gear has visible slots. This has an increasing failure chance, starting at ~80% for the first overmeld and then going up to ~95% for 5th slot. Overmelding to 5 slots is called pentamelding and is expensive. You should not blow up 200+ Materia Vs on pentamelds when leveling. Filling up any materia slots you have with some extra Critical Hit or Direct Hit is cheap enough and not much of an imposition.

Materia can help even more on crafters, depending on how you're approaching it. Basic melds do a lot for your CP and thus ability to HQ while leveling, you don't have to worry about syncing disabling any melds, low level crafter (and gatherer) materia can be valuable to high levels so you get more value out of the extra spiritbond rate, and you don't have to pay money to some melder NPC since you can always do your own melds. If all you're doing is buying Grand Company turn-ins on the market board then all this is still irrelevant of course, but if you're going through the crafting log for those sweet, sweet tool glamours and completionist checkmarks then you might as well make it easier on yourself with some cheap melds.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

And for my part, I pretty much let materia pile up in my inventory and have my retainers sell them when they start taking up too much space.

Regarding relic weapons, most of them are just too gaudy for my taste, which is probably good since it spares me the temptation of going after them. Although I did grind all the way to Canopus Lux for my Astrologian, and I'm never doing that again. Probably.

It's worth noting that if you just want a cool glowy weapon, there are many models that can be crafted using the Master Crafting books, or bought on the market for not too much money, without having to go through the relic grind. I just got a neat staff with lightning effects for my Black Mage for only 40,000 gil on the market.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

My WoL simply just plays every job

this but he's still unhappy it's bard and not ranger

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I actually like bard and the changes to it with endwalker just made me appreciate my song buffs more. Especially since I'm not the best at keeping my dots up on bosses.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GilliamYaeger posted:

Seeing them all next to each other, I am now even more annoyed by my Omnilex. "Your weapon is on fire" doesn't loving work when it's a book you're holding next to your head.

And the lovely thing is the ultimate steps actually look really drat good for SMN/SCH. If I didn't already have cool glams (Elkhorn/Elklord Grimoire is basically perfect SCH glam, it's a short little book with an elk on it, like I'm reading a bedtime story to the tank) and better things to do I would be a little tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Dareon posted:

Seeing them all next to each other, I am now even more annoyed by my Omnilex. "Your weapon is on fire" doesn't loving work when it's a book you're holding next to your head.

And the lovely thing is the ultimate steps actually look really drat good for SMN/SCH. If I didn't already have cool glams (Elkhorn/Elklord Grimoire is basically perfect SCH glam, it's a short little book with an elk on it, like I'm reading a bedtime story to the tank) and better things to do I would be a little tempted.
If you want a good SMN book, don't bother with the ARR/Zeta relic. It's Mimesis (the Anima weapon) or bust.