Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I don't think that's even really adjacent because they kinda invented the "wife swapping" thing or whatever gross terms they also use.

I mean I'm sure humans have been making bad and weird relationship calls like that forever, but they were the ones who really sort of made a codified system out of it.

Oh, I just remembered "hotwife" and had to puke a little. In the closet. As I watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

The Butcher posted:

I don't think that's even really adjacent because they kinda invented the "wife swapping" thing or whatever gross terms they also use.

I mean I'm sure humans have been making bad and weird relationship calls like that forever, but they were the ones who really sort of made a codified system out of it.

Oh, I just remembered "hotwife" and had to puke a little. In the closet. As I watched.

Right, boomers codified and popularized wife swapping, and millennials and gen z realized you could do it and not be a huge creep about it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've heard "don't leave your garage door half open lmao" a hundred times and it's all from boomers one step out of a retirement home.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My most boomer opinion is that I'm extremely, heavily against people bieng horny on the internet in public spaces or forums or whatever. If its your discord server, fine, sure but if its a public forums, I miss when we permabanned people for posting homegrown instead of mods glorifying them.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Elentor posted:

I miss when we permabanned people for posting homegrown instead of mods glorifying them.

Is this a thing? I guess I'm forums-naive. :stare:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

When somebody cooks a meal for you, you come to the drat table instead of continuing to play on your phone for ten minutes and then wondering why other people are halfway done.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Also, face somebody when you're talking to them, instead of starting to talk and then walking away in the middle of a sentence. It feels like you're dismissing me and I can't hear your rear end when you're mumbling in a different direction.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i just fuckin love the Band, man.

also Motown/mid-60's soul was the apex of.....everything.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Butcher posted:

swap my wife, please!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm sure there's some super loud minority that insists they make it work, but poly relationships just seem like too much drama.

Like it's not even the jealously factor here-think of all the myriad challenges couples face in their relationships. Think of all the bizarre r/relationships stories. Now you want to add 50% MORE drama to that equation?

Even people acting in good faith can have a hard time splitting responsibilities fairly-I've seen a fair share of couples where each individual thinks they are doing the lions share of the overall work. Now imagine trying to distribute that evenly among THREE people. Seems like a common breakdown of labor is one person gets all the work, one person gets all the leisure, and one person gets all the sex.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
90% of the poly people i've met in real life use sleep apnea masks and can't stand at concerts cuz they'll get winded

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Butcher posted:

Kink shaming? Oh my dear!

The thing about boomers is that they married young and some people end up in un happy marriages no fault divorce helped deal with that.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I do safely spar with my partner, just good exercise and training for both of us. Adding a third doesn't seem conductive. This ain't professional wrestling.

Let the elephant seals do whatever they choose in their beaches of hundreds. I'm not judging, but I'm not joining.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The Butcher posted:

Yeah Baby Boomers did some interesting work with treating women as objects in innovative ways, so it was up to subsequent generations to think "can we also objectify men? Or perhaps even reduce the overall amount of objectification?"

Still will never forget how hard I laughed when after thinking about the term "sister wife" I Googled "brother husband" and the first hit was the obituary talking about how Ted Kennedy had been a great "brother, husband, and father" and oddly there was not a lot of multiple-male-spouse action going on in the results

(the polyamorous people who make it work are the ones who just have low-key threesomes sometimes or similar; remember, monogamy does preclude threesomes, so it is objectively the wrong choice)

(not actually trying to convince anyone monogamy is bad)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

corn haver posted:

Industrial work used to really destroy people physically and mentally (often still does) and automation has helped a lot. Robots, vision systems, etc. aren't that different from conveyor belts and mechanical sorting tools in their material consequences to workers (beyond increasingly impacting skilled workers and professionals), and there's basically no pushback on that kind of automation except for guys like the Unabomber. It's human civilization generally and industrial capitalism specifically that means that investment and increased productive capacity entails cutting people off from things necessary for their well-being. Also there's a huge amount of grift and waste around robots because of greed: over-application, overselling a technology, the novelty factor etc. that stands out even in the immense shame of business as usual.

Yeah, I was going to make an exception for factory work but I’m not sure if that’s a popular opinion.

Robots have made cars far more reliable and working in a factory sounds miserable, so in this case it might be better if that kind of work is automated.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, I was going to make an exception for factory work but I’m not sure if that’s a popular opinion.

Robots have made cars far more reliable and working in a factory sounds miserable, so in this case it might be better if that kind of work is automated.

Factory work ain't that bad, in fact I'm hanging out with 4 robots right now (it ain't that bad specifically because of the robots)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ralph Hurley posted:

I also miss the days when ads were straight forward “buy this chewing gum, it’s the best” instead of every ad trying sooo hard to be either subversive and surreal or just way too intimate and gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQjyKr84cHU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Jag taler bara lite Svenska med jag might be even more confused about that commercial due to this. Why is Juicy Fruit called like "Naughty Gnome's Chewing Gum" (not sure what an English equivalent for a Nisse would be) or am I reading too much into a brand name

Still I watched that whole drat thing and was definitely feeling it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There are too many commercials. Just in general.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Das Boo posted:

There are too many commercials. Just in general.

I agree with you.

There isn't a day that goes by where I think about the logistics of getting rid of all advertising. I think it would be worth it.

However I think boomers like commercials because they are the only people I know who can watch cable. I guess sports fans like commercials too.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

There's a boomer at work who makes references to "funny" cable TV commercials. When I don't laugh because I don't watch cable he gets flustered. I think he likes the commercials.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm not quite sure how anyone manages to use the internet without at least one adblocker.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I miss infomercials

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I think people in the ads like Flo from progressive or Jake from state farm are Chesty Laroux from AT&T should be taxed at a rate of 99% because gently caress YOU GO AWAY I HATE YOU.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dr. Quarex posted:

Jag taler bara lite Svenska med jag might be even more confused about that commercial due to this. Why is Juicy Fruit called like "Naughty Gnome's Chewing Gum" (not sure what an English equivalent for a Nisse would be) or am I reading too much into a brand name

Still I watched that whole drat thing and was definitely feeling it

lol :sweden: It's a parody from 1989 by a comedy group.

Nisse here is just the nickname version of the common name Nils (like Nick for Nicholas), so it's like 'Nick's Chewing Gum'.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

There's a boomer at work who makes references to "funny" cable TV commercials. When I don't laugh because I don't watch cable he gets flustered. I think he likes the commercials.

My dad does this despite my constant telling him that I don't have cable and don't see commercials. He will also mute the TV during commercial breaks and then proceed to comment on the commercials anyway ("What the hell kinda pill is zymoplaxilon? It sounds like a Star Trek alien.")

If I have to play Boomer's Advocate, I guess I would say that commercial breaks offer opportunities to reinitiate conversations with the people you're visiting (like a holiday get-together where you're watching a football game). That's being awfully generous, though.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

kntfkr posted:

I agree with you.

There isn't a day that goes by where I think about the logistics of getting rid of all advertising. I think it would be worth it

However I think boomers like commercials because they are the only people I know who can watch cable. I guess sports fans like commercials too.

I'm a sports fan and we all hate ads. Especially because these days every minute of the broadcast is sponsored. They're interrupting at-bats of baseball games to shove more ads at you. And it's usually gambling ads.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

axolotl farmer posted:

lol :sweden: It's a parody from 1989 by a comedy group.

Nisse here is just the nickname version of the common name Nils (like Nick for Nicholas), so it's like 'Nick's Chewing Gum'.
I should have known it had nothing to do with what I was thinking. Being a parody makes sense as to why they were all virtually identical. Though that last guy is really good at blowing bubbles

Extra Large Marge posted:

I'm not quite sure how anyone manages to use the internet without at least one adblocker.
I think about this like daily at least. I might genuinely stop using the web entirely if somehow the ad revenue wars heat up to a point where ad blocking is unreliable

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I haven’t seen a tv ad in a long time cause I pay out the rear end for non-ad supported streaming. This works cause I live alone. But when I had a gf saying over a lot…

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

If I have to play Boomer's Advocate, I guess I would say that commercial breaks offer opportunities to reinitiate conversations with the people you're visiting (like a holiday get-together where you're watching a football game). That's being awfully generous, though.

…yeah, commercials allow for a nice break and change of convo or whatever. But by the 12th one in 10 minutes my brain starts twitching.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Talking about ads I'm not sure people in the US realize how insane their ad density is. Sometimes I'd watch a US tv show online with ads still in for some reason and it goggles the mind. 4 ad breaks in a 30 minute show is ridiculous.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Not really a Boomer opinion, but definitely out of style: I don't care about stories in video games. Like a nice solid narrative helps hold the whole experience together and makes completing it more satisfying. But it's really easy to go too far.

I'm currently playing Cyberpunk 2077, and enjoying it but all these cutscenes are making my rear end tired.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

zakharov posted:

I'm a sports fan and we all hate ads. Especially because these days every minute of the broadcast is sponsored. They're interrupting at-bats of baseball games to shove more ads at you. And it's usually gambling ads.

:siren: DraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKings :siren:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

zakharov posted:

And Stadiums are getting named after dumb loving companies now that the bigger ones are laying off the bidding wars for rights.

Oh boy, I can't tell if I want to go to Crypto.com arena or Acrisure stadium.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Rutgers stadium is High Point Solutions LLC Stadium

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

YeahTubaMike posted:

:siren: DraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKingsDraftKings :siren:

Place a bet now! Don't think! Just bet your rent money on whether some guy makes a field goal! It's the only way to not feel dead inside! What are you, chicken?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I remember getting super pissed at the papajohns.com bowl. Like I can surmise what your website name is you loving piece of poo poo.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Not really a Boomer opinion, but definitely out of style: I don't care about stories in video games. Like a nice solid narrative helps hold the whole experience together and makes completing it more satisfying. But it's really easy to go too far.

I'm currently playing Cyberpunk 2077, and enjoying it but all these cutscenes are making my rear end tired.

I know exactly what you mean. These big-budget games and their ✨cinematic experiences✨ are so loving tiring. In 2077 it's really annoying because you have the skip dialogue button but then a time-sensitive choice appears and by the time you even realize it's a time-sensitive choice, the bar is half-empty and you end up picking The Worst Choice and oops better reload that quicksave

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
That elementary schools shouldn't be using chrome books or giving computers and internet access to little kids.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

LadyAmbien posted:

That elementary schools shouldn't be using chrome books or giving computers and internet access to little kids.

Teacher Teacher! Jessica searched for her name on the computer and a naked lady showed upppppppp! She's in TROUUUUBLLEEEEEEEE!

My most Boomer opinion: I like my sugar free beverages and mowing my lawn on my green riding mower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It probably is out of style but I think SA in particular is a place where that's a common opinion. I don't share it at all. If there's no story, it's rare I finish a game because I just don't care enough. Which is all right, but I'd rather care. It's not about a cinematic experience, I'm happy with textboxes and pixel graphics, just engage me beyond the gameplay which c'mon, is not gonna blow my mind I've played games before.

It might be related to age. I'm in my mid 30's which is probably a bit younger than most people here and I grew up on games with stories. If you're even a couple of years older than me, then you probably didn't.