Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The scholz op-ed sounds about as positive as you can be towards China as a western leader without being immediately assassinated.

Like he acknowledges that preserving the stability of the communist party has legitimate roots in maintaining national security and autonomy, and that it is better for everyone to continue to trade with China

That's good and rational I wonder if they're pissed about the Nordstream poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ive noticed this year that toy shops in china are selling a lot of models or lego type sets about this space station or the long march rockets. i would be totally into that stuff if i was a kid in china right now

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea i was gonna ask, has the us even done anything in any way impressive wrt space exploration lately?

nasa does plenty of neat stuff it just doesn't involve anything manned or lunar

lots of cool telescopes and things

and if you thinking taking extremely poo poo suborbital flights and calling yourself an astronaut is cool then us private industry has you covered

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the magnum opus of private rocket companies was coming up with an rv to service the iss after nasa gave up on rockets and had to rely on soyuz launches and nothing else for years lmao

truly groundbreaking and innovative work pushing forward the boundaries

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

ive noticed this year that toy shops in china are selling a lot of models or lego type sets about this space station or the long march rockets. i would be totally into that stuff if i was a kid in china right now

China is the only place in the world where a child could feasibly aspire to be a Taikonaut

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can you imagine how many more billion Bezo can throw in his generic rear end LotR show if he didn't spend on his penis shaped rocketship?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

China doesn't need to surpass the US space program. The only US space program left is SpaceMusk. Is the fuckface still South African?

Is how he has diplomatic immunity

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

nasa does plenty of neat stuff it just doesn't involve anything manned or lunar

lots of cool telescopes and things

and if you thinking taking extremely poo poo suborbital flights and calling yourself an astronaut is cool then us private industry has you covered

yup they operated a helicopter on mars I believe? I'm sure they could do more manned poo poo if they hadn't been made to "embrace the free market" and give rich kids suborbital flights using tech from the 70s

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Antonymous posted:

the NYT article about it is subtitled

"The Mengtian module was launched into orbit and docked with the Tiangong space station, the latest step in Beijing’s effort to surpass the United States in space exploration."

lol what can I say

China absolutely would partner with others in space but the U.S. categorically bans them from any sort of collaboration. meanwhile cosmonauts get to hang out with astronauts during our proxy war with Russia

I mean the reasoning isn’t wrong though. they’re right to be afraid that collaboration with China would allow China to effectively take the lead if they objectively produce the best results, so comparisons have to be forbidden

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

fits my needs posted:

this is what progress is....i think

imran khan of course is pashto.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wonder if the assassin is gonna be traced to CIA ops in Balochistan

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
a country of 220 million people and everyone with a gun is a spooklet from langley.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

With Mengtian docking successfully and completing Tiangong, here is a cool animation video showing all the major features of the lab module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCU57qQ3Sxg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gonna have to update the Terra Invictus scenario to account for that

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spergin Morlock posted:

the parker solar probe flew through the edge of the sun's corona

edging the sun does actually sound a bit impressive, gotta have some real good technique to pull that off

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

having people up in orbit is rad but tbh the JWST is at least going to let humanity learn something new...

the sad thing is that we need to learn more about mundane stuff on earth. and a lot of the bleeding edge stuff is just tinkering with things humanity figured out in the 60s but the money will always be on big cool things

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Somebody should do deep sea stuff. Way cooler

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

No. gently caress the ocean

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Octopuses have been one of the big winners from climate change. Their populations have exploded as a result

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training posted:

this, space is dumb

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jose posted:

Octopuses have been one of the big winners from climate change. Their populations have exploded as a result

Yeah but unless those stupid fuckers can figure out that you shouldn't die immediately after having sex, they're never gonna become chads and replace us

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/CATHARSISKILLER/status/1587573678514266112?cxt=HHwWgIDTqa32mIgsAAAA

Incredible things, etc

copy
Jul 26, 2007

delightful

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

it’s like Okja

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

In Training posted:

i did deep sea stuff. it's mostly boring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:eyepop:

the coward deleted it

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

the coward deleted it

lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

the coward deleted it

lolll

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
e: lol wrong thread?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jose posted:

the coward deleted it

lmfao.

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth
hit bit too close home ehhh? historical parallers too ironic fer ya!?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Chinese animal videos are so magical, the ox, the duck armies, the rain of chickens the cool old one armed monkey, I love it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jose posted:

the coward deleted it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Al-Saqr posted:

Chinese animal videos are so magical, the ox, the duck armies, the rain of chickens the cool old one armed monkey, I love it.

also the great elephant migration

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

literal victims of chen weihua

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1588617055859003392?s=20&t=OYwEaLzz4pK7m5zvTX6_Pg

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
South Korea scrambles jets after detecting North Korean military flights near border amid tensions

quote:

SEOUL, Nov 4 (Reuters) - South Korea's military said it scrambled fighter jets after detecting about 180 North Korean military flights north of the two countries' border over four hours on Friday.

The North Korean aircraft flew north of the so-called tactical action line, north of the Military Demarcation Line between the two Koreas, South Korea's military said in a statement. The virtual line is used as a basis for South Korean air defence operations, a South Korean official said.

:thunk:

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

This is like every time Taiwan cries about the PLAAF violating their "air defence zone" because said zone just happens to extend hundreds of miles over the mainland lol

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HerraS posted:

This is like every time Taiwan cries about the PLAAF violating their "air defence zone" because said zone just happens to extend hundreds of miles over the mainland lol

best kind of news is "CHINA DID X" while explicitly admitting they don't have any evidence on the same page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jose posted:

Splatoon was warning us