Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
This a worrying question about a very tall disney character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
skoden

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do people in British Columbia even have the Canadian accent? Looks to me like an Ontario thing.

Also did anyone else watch Canada: A people's history? We watched it in school.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Eastern BC has some redneck poo poo so you get a bit of that vernacular sometimes but it's mostly bland saltines.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Violet_Sky posted:

Do people in British Columbia even have the Canadian accent?

Give me a couple beers and find out. For science purposes.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Violet_Sky posted:

Do people in British Columbia even have the Canadian accent? Looks to me like an Ontario thing.

Also did anyone else watch Canada: A people's history? We watched it in school.

i grew up in north BC and get told i have a BC accent by other canadians and a canadian accent by non canadians so i would say absolutely we do. it's similar to the ontario hick accent but i guess subtly different enough that other cans clock me real quick. vancouver/south BC people have much less of it in my experience but anything north of like 100 mile house is practically a different province anyways

we watched a people's history in my grade... 11? socials class and i remember nothing other than diefenbaker trying really hard and accomplishing gently caress all

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Million Ghosts posted:

we watched a people's history in my grade... 11? socials class

Every hungover social teacher's get out of teaching today card. You only get 26 though. Use them wisely.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've traveled quite a lot and people are always confused by my accent, they tell me it's really odd and they've never heard it before. I think it's just me, and that I talk weird, period.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

The Butcher posted:

Every hungover social teacher's get out of teaching today card. You only get 26 though. Use them wisely.

Been awhile since I lived in Canada. Are subs still called supply teachers?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh I've never heard that before, that sounds like an insulting Ontario term.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Another Bill posted:

That's a real thing though. There are tons of rural french Canadian families with last names like Shaughnessy or O'Malley.

Yea, in the moment you have two kids that speak I'm English with no accent, and then the little girl actor has an extremely thick and noticeable Quebec accent, which is hilarious because she's meant to be Irish.

And I love the Canadian Liqour Store system, but not the beer store. It's like a soup kitchen for beer. Walk up to the counter and make your order and over the mic the counter person goes "case of blue" and it rolls out.

Though Ontario was so much better than Nova Scotia, more interesting imports and the shelves weren't taken up by rows of local beers that are all trying to be as cutsey as possible.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Re supply teachers: Ontario CHUDs and WASPs hate teachers with the fire of a thousand suns, because they have a strong union and make a living wage. (Roughly 50k to start, up to about 90k after 15 years)

This is coming to head rn because the Ontario government is trying to override their charter rights (part of the constitution) using our 'notwithstanding clause' to make striking illegal and impose a contract without negotiation. This might get Ontario into cool zone territory in the next few weeks.

e: The current dispute is with 55,000 education support staff but there are also contract negotiations starting with 120,000 teachers too. I hope they all walkout and bring the government to its knees.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 2, 2022

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my God, the Canadian school system is hosed.

And I'm not just talking about elementary and up, preschools are actually one of our most valuable resources, and people treat preschool teachers like trash. To the point that, at least in most provinces, they are still scared to unionize and so don't make a living wage.

If your kids don't have childcare, you can't work!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dr.D-O posted:

Oh my God, the Canadian school system is hosed.

And I'm not just talking about elementary and up, preschools are actually one of our most valuable resources, and people treat preschool teachers like trash. To the point that, at least in most provinces, they are still scared to unionize and so don't make a living wage.

If your kids don't have childcare, you can't work!

I have direct fam who are one of these unionized preschool teachers and the govt is absolutely treating them like complete garbage.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Another Bill posted:

I have direct fam who are one of these unionized preschool teachers and the govt is absolutely treating them like complete garbage.

I also have a family member who is a preschool teacher, non-unionized though.

The owner of the school literally owns a mansion and goes on multiple international vacations a year, and at least half of the teachers can't afford groceries. They don't even have supplies for their classrooms, they are expected to buy all of it themselves.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Million Ghosts posted:

we watched a people's history in my grade... 11? socials class and i remember nothing other than diefenbaker trying really hard and accomplishing gently caress all

I remember people kissed Diefenbaker's coat like he was Obama when he won the election. Also Quebec is really mad at AngloCanada. Also some Natives and Metis did stuff. Did we mention that Quebec hates AngloCanada?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Just watch me

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Canadian vowel pronunciation gives you guys away. It's not always so obvious as the aboot example but it's there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Canadian vowel pronunciation gives you guys away. It's not always so obvious as the aboot example but it's there.

It's roof not ruf.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Antioch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00yaFwZ5bc

Sam Steele Heritage Minute is in the top three.

No, its not. Acab, even sam steele

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

twistedmentat posted:

It's roof not ruf.

creek not crick

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Deek not Dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHO84rOp8FQ

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i was twenty when the Flames won the Stanley Cup

Ketchup Chips are amazing from best to worst but still really good; Lays, Ruffles, Old Dutch

We call American Smarties "Rockets' and our Smarties are a much better tasting version of M and M's. In fact, Canadian chocolate has more flavour (not flavor) than American chocolate in general.

I was born in Alberta and have no accent because I lived in the States for a couple of years and still prefer to say 'zee' instead of 'zed'. When I worked for the United States Government, soldiers would constantly mistake me for an American and would not believe me when I told them I was Canadian.

edit: Also, the drinking age here is 18 and our beer has way more alcohol per can. Our whiskey is pretty drat good, too.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 4, 2022

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

To heck with Lay's chips.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
whoa, whoa, whoa, there buddy. language.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
PC Loads of Ketchup

The General
Mar 4, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

I was born in Alberta and have no accent because I lived in the States for a couple of years and still prefer to say 'zee' instead of 'zed'.

Nobody says zed.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

The General posted:

In general, all Commonwealth countries are taught that 'z' is pronouced zed. This includes the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

FTFY

e:i actually pronounce 'z' like 'zulu' because I used to work with a lot of your military, a long time ago.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 4, 2022

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

tango alpha delta posted:

FTFY

e:i actually pronounce 'z' like 'zulu' because I used to work with a lot of your military, a long time ago.

We’re going to the Zuluoo Zuluoo Zuluoo

How about you you you?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ketchup chips own.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The General posted:

Nobody says zed.

will never forget the time I was at the zoo as a kid and overheard some american tourist talking to his kid saying "In Canada they call them zedbras"

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Lucas said "zeh-bruh" so I think that's an English thing.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

How come every body talks about zed and nobody makes a peep about the weird way british people say aluminum

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Wtf I say zed. My last name starts with Z.

A while back my dad needed a replacement for a defective product. Called em up and there call centre was in the states.

Last name on it when the package arrived said Zed(the rest of the letters) instead of Z(rest of the letters) was kinda funny.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

The General posted:

Nobody says zed.

Those of us who were raised by wolves and Sesame Street say "zee" because no one was there to correct us.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Zed's dead baby

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Another Bill posted:

How come every body talks about zed and nobody makes a peep about the weird way british people say aluminum

They add in the extra "i" so it's technically right but still sounds dumb.

Edit: I would bet most Canadians say zee just because of our exposure to American tv

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The zed/zee thing is contextual for me. Certain words, if you're spelling them out, roll off the tongue nicer with 'zed' than 'zee', or vice versa. I wouldn't spell my name with a 'zee', for example, but maybe if the Z was at the end of a word or before a T in an acronym I'd say 'zee'. I'm certainly not about to chastise someone for saying it 'wrong', that's about on the same level for me as 'correcting' someone's pronunciation of GIF. Who cares

I have heard that it's a regional or Canadian vs American thing though, mostly way back in grade school.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
From Eh to Zed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I remember saying "zee" when I was a kid and adults correcting me. Nowadays I think you can spell colour without a u and nobody cares.