Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Kyrie Irving is my number one choice for disproving the idea that NCAA players don't need money because they're paid in education.

I could fully believe he never held an anti-Semitic thought in his head until he saw that movie and was like "They did WHAT?!?!"

kyrie irving was already a flat-earther, a conspiracy theory thats entrenched entirely in "but why do THEY want you to think the earth is round????"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember when it was just him being serious about Flat Earth stuff, which is just a pipeline into antisemitism for reasons I have trouble understanding sometimes.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nah, gently caress that anti-Semite craphound. You don't gotta hand it to him.

Read this essay before you judge him. Again, I'm not condoning what Kyrie said, but it's not that simple.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Reminds me of Jared Goff not knowing where the sun rose.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

saintonan posted:

Read this essay before you judge him. Again, I'm not condoning what Kyrie said, but it's not that simple.

Everyone in history had their reasons. Doesn't make it right.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Everyone in history had their reasons. Doesn't make it right.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

bobjr posted:

I remember when it was just him being serious about Flat Earth stuff, which is just a pipeline into antisemitism for reasons I have trouble understanding sometimes.

Flat earthers are like most other grand conspiracy things that have people believing there’s some secret cabal keeping secrets from the rest of the world. That secret cabal inevitably becomes “The Jews”, which has been a common theme for centuries amongst conspiracy theory crack jobs.

What a lot of these people are looking for is order in a chaotic world. So they come up with a bunch of bullshit that they can actually grasp. It keeps them from having to realize they don’t have much control over their lives. They then go an blame the cabal for all the bad things in their lives and keep these secrets from them. You see, if it wasn’t for the Jews, they’d actually be successful and rich. It doesn’t make any sense because these people live in a fantasy world of their own making.

Flat earthers moved on to Qanon as soon as they came around, which may help explain some things too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Flat earthers are like most other grand conspiracy things that have people believing there’s some secret cabal keeping secrets from the rest of the world. That secret cabal inevitably becomes “The Jews”, which has been a common theme for centuries amongst conspiracy theory crack jobs.

What a lot of these people are looking for is order in a chaotic world. So they come up with a bunch of bullshit that they can actually grasp. It keeps them from having to realize they don’t have much control over their lives. They then go an blame the cabal for all the bad things in their lives and keep these secrets from them. You see, if it wasn’t for the Jews, they’d actually be successful and rich. It doesn’t make any sense because these people live in a fantasy world of their own making.

Flat earthers moved on to Qanon as soon as they came around, which may help explain some things too.

Yeah the same thing happens with any group.

Its the church

Its the masons

Its the Jews

Its straight white men

Its lizard people

Its hippies

Its commies

And on down the list it goes.

We should all focus our hatred on the right people. Politicians, bankers, families in charge of oil producing nations and billionaires.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

bobjr posted:

If you're susceptible to such an incredibly basic and stupid refutation of both common sense and accepted scientific fact, it kinda stands to reason that you're gonna believe other flavors of dumb poo poo too. Correlation, not causation

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

GD_American posted:

If you're susceptible to such an incredibly basic and stupid refutation of both common sense and accepted scientific fact, it kinda stands to reason that you're gonna believe other flavors of dumb poo poo too. Correlation, not causation

this. once you open that door it's a straight path to this poo poo. white supremacist/nazis are ready to groom and pounce on folks who buy into these poo poo beliefs and anti-vax stuff.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 4, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

saintonan posted:

No, I do not think I will give the anti-Semitic flat earth numbskull the benefit of the doubt because of a fifty year old essay. And frankly, I question why you do.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

LLCoolJD posted:

The last Democrat to compete with Desantis, Andrew Gillum, was found meth'd out with a male prostitute (Gillum was married and has children) and was recently charged in federal court with 21 felonies. Not a good look for the Florida Democrats unless they're trying to outdo Illinois.

Crist seems pretty centrist, but good luck winning Florida after getting chummy with the Cuban Communists.

I dated his campaign manager for a hot minute - lawyer from Orlando - and yeah, Gillum was easily the biggest rear end they could’ve used.

Crist flip flops. He’s not the guy to win either. I’m so sad but reality is reality

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, the COVID years have been a great convergence of all manner of conspiracy theories. Remember when the anti-vaxx mindset was exclusive to hippies? Well those hippie anti-vaxx types are peddling QAnon crap now.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Well you got your wish! :shudder:

if it makes you feel any better I too am unhappy with the sudden change. My lady did pick up a new heat dish that tilts from Costco last night along with wine advent boxf and a new electric kettle for me and I'm putting all three to good use. The heat dish has lured my grey cat out from her hiding spot and back on to my lap since I took her in to the vet today. She got a nice solid chuck out of my back but otherwise got a good clean bill of health with vet orders to feed her a little more since she's a little underweight -- her bloodwork is good, we're just feeding her the same portions as our big boy and he needed to eat less.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

LLCoolJD posted:

Crist seems pretty centrist, but good luck winning Florida after getting chummy with the Cuban Communists.

For those unaware Charlie Crist, the guy running against Desantis, is himself a former Republican Governor of FL. The FL Dems already ran him as a Dem governor candidate once and got beat by Rick Scott. Crist is an empty suit piece of poo poo who represents everything people hate about politics. He's going to lose just like he always does and no one will learn anything.

BlindSite posted:

We should all focus our hatred on the right people. Politicians, bankers, families in charge of oil producing nations and billionaires.

Amen

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 4, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, the COVID years have been a great convergence of all manner of conspiracy theories. Remember when the anti-vaxx mindset was exclusive to hippies? Well those hippie anti-vaxx types are peddling QAnon crap now.

I have a theory about QAnon largely being a psy op. But the only explanation for that is another conspiracy theory.

But I mean, if you're going to do like a little something bad, one of the easier ways to cover it up would be plant fake theories about massive evil bad stuff so if someone mentioned that one little thing you'd be able to go "what are you crazy, the ... isn't..."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BlindSite posted:

I have a theory about QAnon largely being a psy op. But the only explanation for that is another conspiracy theory.

But I mean, if you're going to do like a little something bad, one of the easier ways to cover it up would be plant fake theories about massive evil bad stuff so if someone mentioned that one little thing you'd be able to go "what are you crazy, the ... isn't..."

I mean, the original QAnon posts being a psyop isn't that crazy of an idea, but the QAnon phenomenon has grown way the gently caress beyond the actual posts.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

For those unaware Charlie Crist, the guy running against Desantis, is himself a former Republican Governor of FL. The FL Dems already ran him as a Dem governor candidate once and got beat by Rick Scott. Crist is an empty suit piece of poo poo who represents everything people hate about politics. He's going to lose just like he always does and no one will learn anything.

super hard to imagine why the dems keep getting wiped in florida with inspiring candidates like that

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

If there's anyone left on this planet in 2100 whose PFAS-laden brain is capable of actual cognition, the comprehensive postmortem on American society is going to be an absolute must-read.

Shame I won't be around for it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

pmchem posted:

super hard to imagine why the dems keep getting wiped in florida with inspiring candidates like that

in the last cycle they came out against the loving min wage increase that was on the ballot (which passed). they actively muzzle anyone in the state that tries to support workers in any way. oh and medical weed? yea that didn't come from them, a goddamn personal injury lawyer took up that battle and got it passed via ballot measure.

they're literally business wing republicans running against foam at the mouth republicans and they're shocked they get zero enthusiasm. i cannot loving stand the state party and it drives me crazy every cycle or two when people outside the state are surprised the demographic math didnt mean more FL wins.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I mean, the original QAnon posts being a psyop isn't that crazy of an idea, but the QAnon phenomenon has grown way the gently caress beyond the actual posts.

Oh for sure.

This stuff kinda fascinates me tbh. We already see it plenty though. Like the way ISIS started is somewhat weirder than most people would believe.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I would like the thread perspective on this. I’m also gonna spoiler it because it’s sad. Pet Island subforum stuff.

In the Pet Island Bird thread, a poster accidentally drowned their bird. The poster was doing laundry and some way some how the little bird got caught up in the pile of laundry and thrown into the machine. The poster was heavy with grief.

A different poster came in harsh and basically said the OP was bad and should rehome their other bird because OP was bad at taking care of birds.

Basically the rest of the thread told that second poster to gently caress off. Fair play there I suppose.

The thing that weirded me out was that the rest of the thread seemed super chill about the whole “killing their pet” thing.

Does that seem normal?

I have had pets in my life and they’ve gotten cancer or stuff, but I’ve never killed one of my pets.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

saintonan posted:

I read the essay, and it was powerful.

Oof. Oooof.

And as a lapsed Catholic I see where Baldwin is coming from, and I see where is ire is turned towards.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would like the thread perspective on this. I’m also gonna spoiler it because it’s sad. Pet Island subforum stuff.

Accidents happen and I don't think it is good or kind to shame a grieving person for being a 'bad pet owner' or whatever charge was being levied there.

I posted here last year when our dogge died. Alongside the already nearly unbearable grief of losing our companion was the unbelievable weight of guilt from possibly missing signs of a serious medical problem with what appeared to be garden-variety doggie belly issues. It was about as much as I could handle and I still get palpitations and sweaty when I think about it.

The grief associated with the death of a defenseless animal whose care is your responsibility is hard enough without people treating you like poo poo unnecessarily.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Made another thing today

I don’t have enough brown but it’s close enough I think

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The thing that weirded me out was that the rest of the thread seemed super chill about the whole “killing their pet” thing.

Does that seem normal?

I have had pets in my life and they’ve gotten cancer or stuff, but I’ve never killed one of my pets.

I went and read a few pages, having rarely been in PI otherwise- Maybe I'm just perceiving it differently but it doesn't seem like they're chill about it at all. They recognize and repeatedly state that it's horrific. Maybe birds really are that hard, I've never owned one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

Accidents happen and I don't think it is good or kind to shame a grieving person for being a 'bad pet owner' or whatever charge was being levied there.

I posted here last year when our dogge died. Alongside the already nearly unbearable grief of losing our companion was the unbelievable weight of guilt from possibly missing signs of a serious medical problem with what appeared to be garden-variety doggie belly issues. It was about as much as I could handle and I still get palpitations and sweaty when I think about it.

The grief associated with the death of a defenseless animal whose care is your responsibility is hard enough without people treating you like poo poo unnecessarily.

Plus, children die in accidents and no one says "you should put their sibling up for adoption."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, when I was around 7-8 years old, I had a gerbil that got loose, and when I was searching for it and turned around a corner, I stepped on it. It died, but not instantly, and that sequence/image is permanently scarred into my brain.

There's zero reason for some fuckstain to come into that thread shitposting, when the OP was probably grieving horribly, and desperate for any sort of sympathy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

pmchem posted:

It's the state of Debbie Wasserman Schultz. I'm trying to remember the last non-embarrassing Florida Democrat on a national stage.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I almost had to shoot a horse once. That woulda sucked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I almost had to shoot a horse once. That woulda sucked.

Why? I mean I know horses have to be euthanized sometimes, but why would it have been your responsibility to actually shoot it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I fell down a wiki hole looking up Hippocras which I had an idea about didn't really know for sure what it was (spiced wine, that's all).

I came across Gilles de Rais who I was not familiar with and thought was just a guy who liked Hippocras.

Let's just say that man's life was a ride to read through.

e: I kinda want to watch his 8 hour play about the Siege of Orleans, that had 20,000 lines of dialogue, 140 speaking parts, and required 500 extras.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 4, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Why? I mean I know horses have to be euthanized sometimes, but why would it have been your responsibility to actually shoot it

Horse had a badly broken leg and was in agony. Rifle was a 5 minute drive, vet was a 30 minute wait. I have a license and a familiarity with firearms. The other two people I was with were the owners of the horse and had known and bonded with it for years and years.

So when they floated the idea of destroying the animal my friends father said he didn't know if he could do it and I said if it comes to that I'd be willing to take the L for him. I actually had the rifle out of the bag and was getting ready to load and do it when we got a call that a colleague of the vet they normally worked with had been at the next property over euthanizing a bull and had the juice on board and was headed to us.

When they got the bill I bet they wished I'd done it though. 1500 bucks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Horses are insanely expensive to run so $1500 probably seemed like a bargain.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, I do not think I will give the anti-Semitic flat earth numbskull the benefit of the doubt because of a fifty year old essay. And frankly, I question why you do.

Because the vast majority of us on this internet comedy website won the most important lottery of all, and whether you personally agree with an opinion or not, it's insightful to take a moment and see a situation from a different perspective.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

lol elon

https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/1588405731664924672?s=46&t=2ZYxTU0g01i0azc9rGWr-g

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm sure Elon would never handle it in an improper-

https://twitter.com/ruchowdh/status/1588365045158727681

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thankfully YouTube has 2 hour long videos of excavators working that my kid loves to watch. Unfortunately, YouTube also recommends these bizarre kids videos that I have to avoid at all costs once he’s done watching.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Thankfully YouTube has 2 hour long videos of excavators working that my kid loves to watch. Unfortunately, YouTube also recommends these bizarre kids videos that I have to avoid at all costs once he’s done watching.

I hope it’s not recommending *the* Blippi video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It’s recommending a blippi video. Not sure which specific one I should avoid but I’m avoiding them all. There’s also weird livestream channels of just bizarre truck/tractor animations that I’m avoiding too.