Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/03/technology/elon-musk-twitter-money-finances.html
One product team is working on paid direct messaging, which appears to be focused on Very Important Tweeters, or V.I.T.s, on the network, said the two people with knowledge of the work and according to the internal documents. According to the product mock-ups seen by The Times, users would be able to send private messages to their favorite celebrities for a nominal fee. A fee structure, which had not been set in stone, could be as little as a few dollars per direct message.

In early prototypes, a Twitter user was depicted asking the musician Post Malone about his favorite records. Such paid messages could appear in a special area of the direct message inbox, and the celebrities would have to choose to receive them. Twitter would most likely take a cut of the fees, according to the documents.

Lol isn't this basically what the Fyre Festival guy did? A service where you pay for access to celebrities.

Only I'm pretty sure they actually paid the celebrities and got their buy-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Fyre never once “actually paid”.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/03/technology/elon-musk-twitter-money-finances.html
One product team is working on paid direct messaging, which appears to be focused on Very Important Tweeters, or V.I.T.s, on the network, said the two people with knowledge of the work and according to the internal documents. According to the product mock-ups seen by The Times, users would be able to send private messages to their favorite celebrities for a nominal fee. A fee structure, which had not been set in stone, could be as little as a few dollars per direct message.

In early prototypes, a Twitter user was depicted asking the musician Post Malone about his favorite records. Such paid messages could appear in a special area of the direct message inbox, and the celebrities would have to choose to receive them. Twitter would most likely take a cut of the fees, according to the documents.
Yeah this is more like what I was expecting from "paid dms"... it's sort of like youtube super chats but dumber because other people can't see them and twitter isn't the sort of environment where that makes sense

As weird as I find the whole giving money to streamers thing, just paying so you can send messages to random celebrities seems even more creepy somehow, but it's a pretty obvious idea that someone would come up with if they were brainstorming how to monetize social media in 2022

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 4, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

infernal machines posted:

what was the over/under on the time to the first major outage? because i'm betting on 48 under, and it not coming back up for a while

i have a friend who is more elon-positive than me and proposed a $100 bet based on a metric attached to twitter, and 'time til first major outage' is a good one...

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

i have a friend who is more elon-positive than me
Hopefully they'll develop a treatment for that

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

Hopefully they'll develop a treatment for that

he just got his mba. its terminal.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

LanceHunter posted:

Wait, they're turning off everyone's badge access tonight, and then will be turning it back on for those who stay? That is psychotic. Also, unless they are also doing that with VPN and system access as well then it doesn't really help prevent a disgruntled employee from loving things up.

Clearly, the way to be one of the first to know if you are fired is to stay logged in to the VPN overnight. If you suddenly get kicked at 9am, you're out.

I think it's more about preventing a mass shooting than preventing sabotage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you'd think that'd cut down on severance though

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/ruchowdh/status/1588365045158727681
https://twitter.com/SBkcrn/status/1588357614211158018
layoffs already started

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
https://twitter.com/Aliafonzy43/status/1588376433029545984

what a great way to find out you're fired

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

this is so hosed

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
i thought about posting the Shang Tsung gif but this isn’t funny it’s just really gross even for a social media company

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

why are you on the company slack at night, for shame

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
They might be getting logout notifications on their phones, also might've been midstream on deauthing 2fa on their Twitter accounts.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nobody intelligent and rational will ever apply to twitter again lmao

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

cowboy beepboop posted:

why are you on the company slack at night, for shame

I mean, if there's ever a night to stay in communication with your coworkers as you stress about something out of your control, this is probably the one.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody intelligent and rational will ever apply to twitter again lmao

I interviewed for a position with their fraud and abuse team years ago and luckily blew off the onsite when I got another offer. It was objectively a bad move but it ended up working out

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PIZZA.BAT posted:

over under is still at 180 but sheesh. i'm pretty cynical when it comes to musk but he's really subceeding my expectations

when he said he wanted to keep employees with the most lines at twitter he didn't mean code

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also that's an incredibly lovely way to fire people, why stay at any of his companies now? seems like recruiters should have easy pickings swiping people

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I mean, sounds like a lot of folks aren't heart broken about it: https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1588390821069737984

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ultraklystron posted:

I mean, sounds like a lot of folks aren't heart broken about it: https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1588390821069737984

I think they know the place is about to turn into a massive tire fire and they're glad to not be burned by it, but I think they would still rather it wasn't on fire in the first place

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i guess you don’t really know somebody until they spend 44 billion to buy twitter.com

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Cowards won't even sign their name to it: https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1588358993293979649

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
I have the feeling that the only busy people at twitter right now is HR.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

they never do

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-04/twitter-sued-for-mass-layoffs-by-musk-without-enough-notice
https://archive.ph/nfVRW

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Sorry, the news just doesn't stop:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1588406797781827585

e;fb

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Elon is such a garbage person. even the people responsible for twitter deserve better.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Malloc Voidstar posted:

lol hot drat can i read my elons or what

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm trying to picture wtf they're talking about and the closest thing i can come up with is tying this into the other subscription thing. obviously they expect celebrities, politicians and news orgs etc. to jump for the new subscription thing, and i'm guessing that will come with ~free dms~. it will probably cost money to message these users, though, so if you want to talk to $famous_person you gotta pay

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
meanwhile, south africa's largest online news site weighs in...

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

beuges posted:

lol

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

beuges posted:

I'm beginning to truly understand why shoot the boer is a saying in south africa

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Shumagorath posted:

If it was a coin flip whether or not I had a job at the bird website tomorrow I'd be taking a hard look at sabotage.

Why would you need to do any kind of sabotage when Elon is doing all this by himself. It'd be like trying to start a pissing contest with a waterfall.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
How long until he relaunches as X and bolts a crypto exchange onto Twitter

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Gorman Thomas posted:

that would require employees

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

I think it's more about preventing a mass shooting than preventing sabotage

Let's be honest, that's probably inevitable when some racist maniac gets banned and takes that as a betrayal by Musk.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Gorman Thomas posted:

how long until he requires twitter's SSO to access your tesla

new idea: charge $20 to broadcast your tweet to all tesla dashboards

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
if you are reading this message, i regret to inform you that you have been laid off from yospos.

love,
team (All Full Time Posters)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
this nonsense has made me think a lot about what id do in their situation and about what i could do do make my exit as painful as possible for the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Bulgakov posted:

that would require employees

theres plenty he could still pull from tesla, spacex or neuralink

binance could pitch in too, so could the saudis. i hear they have people