Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

If Matthews wasn't such a huge bitch he would have gone back in time and made the Leafs draft Konecny themselves instead of trading the pick for Travis Dermott (lol), Jeremy Bracco (lmao) and Andrew NielsenMartins Dzierkals (rofl).

Seriously, we wanna talk about helping out the team what a huge punt of a draft that was after taking Marner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I saw a stat about the Kraken having the most 2nd-period goals and it got me thinking: if a team wanted to, could they choose to have the long change in the first and third periods instead of the normal way?

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I saw a stat about the Kraken having the most 2nd-period goals and it got me thinking: if a team wanted to, could they choose to have the long change in the first and third periods instead of the normal way?

Nope, the home/away ends are set. They would have to have like a coin flip at the start to determine whose goal goes at which ends to start which would be something.

edit: also if my experience in beer league informs anything it's that you dont' want the long change more often than you have to have it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Boston is scary good. Rangers held their own but just lost it in the third.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Boston is scary good. Rangers held their own but just lost it in the third.

Yeah that's the first team who pretty much outplayed us from end to end. They look great.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

e: wrong thread!

neoaxd fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 4, 2022

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
check this guy out

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1588358379793272837

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

.Spec posted:

Nope, the home/away ends are set. They would have to have like a coin flip at the start to determine whose goal goes at which ends to start which would be something.

edit: also if my experience in beer league informs anything it's that you dont' want the long change more often than you have to have it.

They should also add the option to decline penalties.

Yes, I do cheer for Montreal...

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

god drat I love him so much.

speaking of cool poo poo that happened tonight, resident gool ol Canadian dumbass Ranger Braden Schneider lit up Trent Frederic today and then fought:

https://twitter.com/daveyupper/status/1588334036900286464?s=46&t=BgBbSqW1F2cOohORXuc_bA

I love him too

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Poor other Ranger who wasn’t even involved got his brain smushed for no good reason on that too.

Schneider/Greer was not much of anything.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Bruins are never going to lose again. 50 goals in 11 games already good lord.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

The Islanders are now 5-0-0 since the debut of Potvin Socks

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Bruins are never going to lose again. 50 goals in 11 games already good lord.

This is extremely upsetting.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Duckman2008 posted:

their only loss came on the second night of a back to back against a team playing their home opener, and they still scored 5 goals in that loss

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Victor Mete is gonna break Marchand's nose on Saturday if he's not a healthy scratch. Don't @ me if that doesn't happen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

their only loss came on the second night of a back to back against a team playing their home opener, and they still scored 5 goals in that loss

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Duckman2008 posted:

Actually it owned quite a bit, Giroux scored on his first shift at home

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It is kind of funny that Ottawa is the only team to beat Boston. The Bruins have only allowed 28 goals all season and 25% of those were from the one game against Ottawa

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Now there's a little bitch.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

It was very funny watching the isles hang 4 on him after this

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Karlsson just scored his 10th goal of the season, 2 behind McDavid for the league lead, currently on a 4 game goal streak. He’s Back

E: https://twitter.com/sheng_peng/status/1588391363779121152?s=46&t=T9OipztKKes1qh88t5O2xg

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 4, 2022

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I knew Paul Maurice would be bad. I didn't realize he'd be this loving bad. The Panthers are going to miss the playoffs with how they're playing and that should not be possible with this forward group. Insane.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Did not expect Karlsson and Horvat to round out the top 3 in goals.

Happy for Kuzmenko on his first NHL hat trick. Love that his goal celebrations are either complete no-sells or 0.9 on the Yakupov scale, nothing in between.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thought the Devils gave up way too many high danger chances tonight to Edmonton but it was a cool win -- Edmonton probably should have closed out the game in the 2nd tho.

Hopefully Blackwood isn't broken. Vanecek is playing solid but I trust him way more in a 1A/1B kind of thing, although apparently Bernier is on the trip with the team so maybe his hip is ready ???

e: Brendan Smith played 8 minutes tonight and got abused by McDavid at least twice (the second one they just let him get away with a blatant hook). I get that he's a veteran presence, but Bahl has one great game and one mediocre one and he's immediately out, why not at least rotate the two? Severson can carry the mail for either of them and Bahl has had some really solid efforts.

Also, Tatar has been excellent this year. Dude is a beast in one on one battles and brings some much needed poise to the Devils forwards beyond Bratt/Hughes/Hischier/etc. With a little more puck luck he'd probably have 4 or 5 goals this year, he's been great. 78.8% on ice expected GF%! -- I believe that's best in the league among forwards atm. It's weird that a lot of Devils fans don't like his effort, just zero clue about the game - I don't even know how you'd come to that conclusion from the eye test. Winning a lot of puck battles and holding on to pucks that other Devils middle six forwards fling away (that delay and drop on the Graves goal tonight for instance) is apparently not good because uhhh he hits the post a lot

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 4, 2022

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

You’ve watched the best (unless you watched Canucks v ducks) now watch the rest. Australia v New Zealand is about to be live. The only question what will be worse the quality on the ice or the quality of the stream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnj67LHfQxM

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks powerplay is 30.7%. Their penalty kill is 57.6%

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks powerplay is 30.7%. Their penalty kill is 57.6%

To the surprise of literally no one who looked at that opening night roster.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I feel like it’s not quite as bad as last season, where the PK was terrible and every PK goal felt like the structure was being torn apart by really simple movement then cross crease pass to the back door and in. It’s felt like this year the Pk goals have been more varied, with more actual good individual plays beating them.

Obviously still bad, but less structurally dismantled bad.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This year they're taking the unique approach of standing still and letting the opponent's powerplay do whatever it wants with the puck.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The Capitals are catpiss trash.

1-2-2 in their last five. Mantha and Kuzy can't score. Lavy still won't play the kids.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Wings are gonna seesaw all year between wins and losses but at least they are young and interesting to watch now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

The Capitals are catpiss trash.

1-2-2 in their last five. Mantha and Kuzy can't score. Lavy still won't play the kids.

Fire Lavy.

Honestly Ovi scoring while the Caps lose is basically my top result atm, Lavy needs to be gone asap so someone good can take over.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/gmillertsn/status/1588525904871174144?s=46&t=2ZYxTU0g01i0azc9rGWr-g

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It is interesting to me that McDavid has never led the league in goals. In the COVID year, he came in 2nd (8 goals behind Matthews), and he has a 4 other top-10 finishes, but never 1st. It is just interesting to me because he has an elite S%, and is always leading the league in points. I would have thought he would have led for one year.

Maybe this is the year, as he is currently on pace for 89 goals. I say he does it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

HookShot posted:

Fire Lavy.

Honestly Ovi scoring while the Caps lose is basically my top result atm, Lavy needs to be gone asap so someone good can take over.

I would be happier with losing if they could put together a line with Ovi that could consistently score 5v5. I think the best they have is going with Strome and Sheary but... woof, that's not a very scary first line.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 4, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the Caps time as a playoff team is over. Too old, too many injuries, the depth is good but not enough to carry games, etc

Also I saw Ovechkin scored a goal last night. Tied with Howe for most all time with one franchise, but what was more surprising to me is that it was his 400th road goal (386 at home). I would think that Ovechkin would have more goals at home just due to being able to line match and "home team X factor" or whatever. The most road goals in NHL history is Gretzky with 402, so it seems likely that Ovie breaks a Gretzky goal scoring record this year.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the Caps time as a playoff team is over. Too old, too many injuries, the depth is good but not enough to carry games, etc

Also I saw Ovechkin scored a goal last night. Tied with Howe for most all time with one franchise, but what was more surprising to me is that it was his 400th road goal (386 at home). I would think that Ovechkin would have more goals at home just due to being able to line match and "home team X factor" or whatever. The most road goals in NHL history is Gretzky with 402, so it seems likely that Ovie breaks a Gretzky goal scoring record this year.

I've been an Ovi fan ever since he gave a cribs tour of his rookie apartment and had a mini fridge just for vodka

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The same is true of the Penguins so the Devils and Flyers might both actually make the playoffs this year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I've been an Ovi fan ever since he gave a cribs tour of his rookie apartment and had a mini fridge just for vodka

I lived in DC when he was a younger player and the rumor was that he had several apartments all over the city so that he could go wherever was closest when he got trashed. All of them furnished like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

The same is true of the Penguins so the Devils and Flyers might both actually make the playoffs this year.

it's definitely not gonna be the Flyers unless Carter Hart has become the reincarnation of Hasek, the Islanders/Senators/Sabres are certainly possible though.

Isles have been on a roll since the Devils lit them up. I'd still bet on the Pens if I had to though.

After the massive 10 game sample size I'm thinking:

1. Boston
2. Carolina
3. Rangers
4. Florida
5. Toronto
6. New Jersey
7. Tampa Bay
8. Pittsburgh
9. Islanders
10. Washington
11. Ottawa
12. Buffalo
13. Detroit
14. Montreal
15. Columbus
16. Philadelphia

with like 6-12 (maybe even 4-12) being a hell of a lot closer than last year. Devils/Rangers playoff series could definitely be a thing this year

e: Devils/Oilers shots were 43-37 in regulation last night :stare: ---- that is a lot for my low event heart

Twin Cinema posted:

It is interesting to me that McDavid has never led the league in goals. In the COVID year, he came in 2nd (8 goals behind Matthews), and he has a 4 other top-10 finishes, but never 1st. It is just interesting to me because he has an elite S%, and is always leading the league in points. I would have thought he would have led for one year.

Maybe this is the year, as he is currently on pace for 89 goals. I say he does it.

Kinda interesting that Crosby had a similar breakout goals year (well nothing like this absurd pace, but he won the Rocket) in 2009-2010, and was pacing for even more the next year until he got hurt. Pls stay safe Connor

drat I forgot Sid won the Rocket again in 2017 with only 44??? What a weird season for goal scorers.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 4, 2022