Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
what is up with goaltending, it’s spelled kuemper you fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
A thread for every month is dumb, there should be 1 thread for before the all star break, 1 for after, 1 for playoffs, 1 for offseason. 4 threads a year. :colbert:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

fermun posted:

A thread for every month is dumb, there should be 1 thread for before the all star break, 1 for after, 1 for playoffs, 1 for offseason. 4 threads a year. :colbert:

this. gently caress the mods baby

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
fall. winter. spring. playoffs. summer. the 5 hockey seasons

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

fermun posted:

co-signed

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
tage thompson is so loving sick, what a beauty

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kuemper owns and stole us a point last night in a game the Caps had no business being in a position to win.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

"Tage Thompson, star centre of the resurgent Buffalo Sabres, had a six point night" is not something I thought I'd ever write.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just wanna remind you all that Tage Thompson is insane

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1587256009944453124?s=46&t=Ks2SgrdbWuVbuPv39J5qhw

Also Dahlin’s reaction, which you can see right at the end of the clip, is amazing

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

"Tage Thompson, star centre of the resurgent Buffalo Sabres, had a six point night" is not something I thought I'd ever write.

Earning himself that deal for next year.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

The immediate assumption (other than lol meaninglessly tiny sample size) is that the Pens may have a glaring weakness or two that opposing coaches can target more effectively when they have the last change?

It's up and down the lineup with the most glaring issues are Letang/Dumo having 1 goal for and 7 against. Kasperi Kapanen having 2 for and 6 against. Jeff Carter 1 for and 4 against. 3 of your 6 defenders sporting a 40% xG goes a long way to explain the struggles (Letang, Dumo, and PoJ). My guess is it's a personnel/systems problem with 2 top 6ers out and having to try and play with Caggiula (extremely awful), Poulin (also very bad numbers), and the usual fickleness (Kasperi Kapanen can not be relied upon for anything) of hockey. Vague other things of note about on the road - shooting near bottom of the league 6.5% so far...that should come up and the goaltending numbers are decent but .680 SV% on high dangers is really bad and you need that closer to .800 minimum. The PK has also been a massive issue. Figuring out a way to get out of their spirals would be nice as well. So far it seems like the Pens will either have a really very excellent period or be putrid dogshit where they look like Arizona.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The pk is definitely a personnel issue. Look who they have doing it. It's like the Ryan Poehlings and Drake Caggiulas of the world. You aren't going to get good pk results with that.

My guess is the pk improves at least somewhat when Blueger comes back.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I will say I had absolutely no belief that Tage Thompson this year, so I am able to say I was wrong.

I watched him score a nice deke goal against Edmonton a few weeks ago, and I know it's Edmonton, but I was really surprised as I watched.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

Kuemper owns and stole us a point last night in a game the Caps had no business being in a position to win.

Lavy hates Connor McMichael so much he put him on the second line and then just didn't play the second line and the few minutes they got they were totally caved in. Protas also sucks but he gets all kinds of ice time?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Twin Cinema posted:

I will say I had absolutely no belief that Tage Thompson this year, so I am able to say I was wrong.

I watched him score a nice deke goal against Edmonton a few weeks ago, and I know it's Edmonton, but I was really surprised as I watched.

I have been on board since last year purely on eye test, he just has crazy hands and skating for a dude his size. I'm sure he's not gonna shoot 15% forever but man you always notice him if you're a sick sick hockey fan who watches Buffalo Sabres games

e: Buffalo creeping up that xGF% -- I guess 45+ shots in three straight games will do that (against the Devils special of Detroit/Chicago/Montreal, but hey you've gotta cave the bad teams). Buffalo and Ottawa seem to be separating themselves from Detroit, that's for sure. Detroit doesn't look much better than Montreal even.

If these early results hold up a little bit, I think the playoff race is going to be much more competitive this year. Montreal, Detroit, Philadelphia and Columbus are really the only teams that I'd be surprised to see in it (pending Carter Hart reverting from Dom Hasek status). And even then, the only one of those that looks worse than last season is Columbus.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 1, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

October is over and the Leafs had one good goalie but still sucked. Boooo. Plus a good few of the goals Samsonov allowed were on breakaways which keep happening for some reason even though the Leafs have exactly two defensemen who can skate (counting Mete, who can't do much else).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There are only three teams in the East with a negative goal differential and one of them is Toronto :stonk:

e: and I don't mean this as "lol Toronto" although that's always appropriate, it's just drat for a conference that was so stratified last year, it looks so much closer this year

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 1, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Tage Thompson thing is so bizarre considering what his profile was.. I remember when he was included in the O'Reilly trade the analytics community was none too impressed with what he had done in his career to that point, he graded out as a guy that was going to hang around on 4th lines in the NHL for a decent amount of time because of his size but that was about it. Good for him getting everything together.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The best part about another power forward breaking out at 24/25 means GMs will continue drafting talentless giant guys in the hopes that they get one of those, because Thompson showed at pretty much no level before the NHL that he was ever capable of hitting this kind of performance

we can call it the parable of the Dach and the Caufield

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tage

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

now tage i can get into

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Hey Buffalo, I'm Tage, your latest skater. I can't wait to entertain you.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
all 3 of tage's goals last night were filthy but that 3rd one was special

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sportico/status/1587473289060012032?s=20&t=4KolQ0D0bk64VfoA4MPpTg

Honestly seems like a shame that Melnyk’s kids couldn’t just keep the team at this point but I’m guessing they functionally have even less money than that guy did and he was broke as hell

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/Sportico/status/1587473289060012032?s=20&t=4KolQ0D0bk64VfoA4MPpTg

Honestly seems like a shame that Melnyk’s kids couldn’t just keep the team at this point but I’m guessing they functionally have even less money than that guy did and he was broke as hell

I’m sure a guy who came by his billions of dollars honestly will buy the team next

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Sabres are a lot of fun. Seems like they’ve maintained the momentum they built up in March/April. They’ll drop some really awful stinkers, but more often than not they’re playing well.

Currently have their #2, #3 and #5 dmen out injured and they’ve just kept rolling.

Tage is the Josh Allen of Hockey. Athletic freak with no history of success and a long shot to put it all together.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The only appreciable asset Melnyk had left was the Senators and he leveraged that to hell. He took out multiple $100m+ loans against the team. Unless it sells for like $800m they're probably going to just break even.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone get that poster who scammed the cspam idiots to buy the sens

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Also after last season every single forward born in Arizona who has played in the NHL has a 30g season.

Sean Couturier
Brady Tkachuk
Matt Tkachuk
Tage Thompson

You can expand that list to include Auston Matthews if you want but technically he was born in California before moving to Phoenix as a baby.

Mark Kastelic messed that up by making his team this year, but if you ever wanted to bet on a grinder breaking out as star from nowhere he's your guy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Maybe they'll move the team to a REAL hockey market, like Houston Texas.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Great first 10 games from VGK. Took care of the teams they should, yet faltered a bit against the top. Nothing wrong with that, much better than the fears that maybe it was all coming down after last year.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Koopa Kid posted:

Found a pretty cool interactive chart thing on that site showing the valuations of each NHL franchise. To nobody's surprise, Arizona ranks 32nd.

https://www.sportico.com/feature/most-valuable-nhl-franchises-chart-1234693075/

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Maybe they'll move the team to a REAL hockey market, like Houston Texas.

not allowed, how else am I going to get leaf tickets a few times a year at affordable prices?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Also after last season every single forward born in Arizona who has played in the NHL has a 30g season.

Sean Couturier
Brady Tkachuk
Matt Tkachuk
Tage Thompson

You can expand that list to include Auston Matthews if you want but technically he was born in California before moving to Phoenix as a baby.

Mark Kastelic messed that up by making his team this year, but if you ever wanted to bet on a grinder breaking out as star from nowhere he's your guy.

Buttman says these 4 names aloud like a mantra every day, much like I still recite Sedin-Bonino-Richardson-Horvat

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Honestly seems like a shame that Melnyk’s kids couldn’t just keep the team at this point

... why?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

13 games into the WHL season the Red Deer Rebels are 13-0-0 with a +37 goal differential.

The arena here also holds 7,111 people, over 40% more than Arizona's.

Relegate the Coyotes, bump the Rebels up to the NHL.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Not Important posted:

Found a pretty cool interactive chart thing on that site showing the valuations of each NHL franchise. To nobody's surprise, Arizona ranks 32nd.

https://www.sportico.com/feature/most-valuable-nhl-franchises-chart-1234693075/

That's the stupidest chart design. Why not just have a normal bar chart?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also Connor Brown tore his ACL and is likely out for the year. He played like 5 games for the Caps lol.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

... why?

they seem to genuinely care for the team, were doing a lot of work fixing Melnyk Sr.'s mistakes pissing everyone off, investing as much as possible. I'm not surprised they have to sell, but it's a bummer outcome I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think it's more along the lines of they don't care about the team enough/don't have pretensions to expertise enough to meddle with it, they're content to just let the GM do what he wants.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 1, 2022