Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DS9 does end up having a fair number of episodes with mediocre A plots but classic B plots so I'd caution you against skipping your first viewing, but glad to hear you're gelling with the best Star Trek!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:3:

I'm so excited for you. You're in for a real treat if you already like the show, 'cause it only gets better from here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This week's Prodigy actually made the Borg threatening again, albeit in a kid-friendly cartoon way and some timely Deus Ex Medusan. Neat use of the CGI to show off a variety of cybernetic attachments and assimilated aliens, too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wouldn't skip anything. There are only like... at most ten just irredeemable dogshit eps. And it's hard to say when there will be something that comes up later. It's not like Babylon 5 level where literally every episode contributes something to the overall story but it's sure closer to that than Voyager, where nothing matters.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks folks! On the skipping thing, I know it's controversial and for sure I'd be missing some things. I've skipped Babel so far, and skimmed some of the Tosk ep since I saw that one before. I kinda enjoyed the research aspect of seeing what seemed skippable for early DS9 and Voyager. Setting up the characters and their characterization is key for sure though.

If there's a boring ep that has a cool B plot, I could always just watch the B plot. I'll aim to not skip much DS9, but I like the idea of not making myself watch an early ep if it's not a hit for me. As long as I've got carte blanche to skip around early Voyager. But I'm definitely into DS9 a lot more than before, so it's nice that I'm seeing the appeal already.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Heavy Metal posted:

I've skipped Babel so far,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrhvtyGgli4

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sadly, Babel might actually be more relevant today than it was when it first aired in 1993.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My favorite thing about the first episode of DS9 is when Nog gets busted for trying to jack some poo poo, and then Quark is all like"thats my nephew" and the he hisses at him.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Heavy Metal posted:

I hear it gets really good at the end of s2 into s3, so I might skip a few eps here and there. I looked at some of those guides and IMDb etc.

The last episode of S1 is where it really starts to show what the series is really all about, so definitely watch that one. And fortunately S1 is only half length. S2 continues in that vein and it's true that it starts to get really good around the end -- but anything after S1 is extremely watchable. I am against skipping but I admit S1 has its skippable moments. Almost nothing after that is really skippable though. The baseline quality level is very high.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Speaking of outdated tech: I always laugh at the scene in Let That Be Your Last Battlefield where Kirk initiates the auto destruct. Probably the best scene in the episode, but the ridiculous latency between the voiced codes and the computer processing them is hilariously impractical. I'm sure it seemed really space-age in 1968, but the clicks and whirrs of the computer seem hopelessly dated now.

Being that it's a third season episode, it's entirely possible the scene was drawn out in order to fill runtime. Or they just thought it would increase the tension.

bull3964 posted:

It really makes me wonder why they used CRTs so much in the movies.

My recollection is they had a bad experience with rear-projection in TMP, plus I'm guessing using CRTs was just plain easier/cheaper.

Though one of the CRT uses that stands out to me is in First Contact where Picard plops down the super-size PADD on the table, and then in the next cut they've obviously embedded a bigass CRT monitor into the table between takes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They did that to substantially better effect in 2001: A Space Odyssey, where characters use thin tablets sitting on tables that were filmed with embedded screens.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Being that it's a third season episode, it's entirely possible the scene was drawn out in order to fill runtime. Or they just thought it would increase the tension.

It's probably the latter. The drawn out processing time makes for great dramatic tension (it's a cool scene), but it'd be completely impractical in a 'real' combat situation. The way auto destruct is initiated in TNG and beyond makes a lot more sense.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Let That Be Your Last Battlefield is full of filler to be sure. That final chase with the guys running through empty corridors takes forever

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching TNG S2E13 Time Squared and loving lol at Picard just merking his future self with O'Brien coming in obviously having no knowledge that there were two Picards so he just sees Picard dead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

Watching TNG S2E13 Time Squared and loving lol at Picard just merking his future self with O'Brien coming in obviously having no knowledge that there were two Picards so he just sees Picard dead.

It’s even funnier watching Visionary, with O’Brien knowing exactly what he’s in for the second he sees himself on the Promenade.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

MikeJF posted:

They did that to substantially better effect in 2001: A Space Odyssey, where characters use thin tablets sitting on tables that were filmed with embedded screens.

2001 used 16mm rear projection for the displays, a technique that would later be used in TMP.

The problem with it is that the set lighting would wash out the screens unless they used comparatively dim lighting and made up for it with a faster film stock and a wide aperture.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is that why the TMP bridge was so drat dark?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Is that why the TMP bridge was so drat dark?

The other reason is that the console buttons were literally melting because of some boneheaded decisions made by Harold Michelson (namely, lighting everything from the floor).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks folks! On the skipping thing, I know it's controversial and for sure I'd be missing some things. I've skipped Babel so far, and skimmed some of the Tosk ep since I saw that one before. I kinda enjoyed the research aspect of seeing what seemed skippable for early DS9 and Voyager. Setting up the characters and their characterization is key for sure though.

If there's a boring ep that has a cool B plot, I could always just watch the B plot. I'll aim to not skip much DS9, but I like the idea of not making myself watch an early ep if it's not a hit for me. As long as I've got carte blanche to skip around early Voyager. But I'm definitely into DS9 a lot more than before, so it's nice that I'm seeing the appeal already.

You should skip nothing. You got something else you wanna watch?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Best of Both Worlds is on BBC and its always just so loving good.

I love how stone cold Dr. Crusher is when she just phasers a Borg like nothing happened. I also like to think the bad future Riker in Parallels is the one who didn't take his shot at the end of Part 1.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

lots of us are in no-skip voyager runs. if we can do that you can do ds9.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Star Trek is the egg nog of TV. You at least want to sniff it even if it's not good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My recollection is they had a bad experience with rear-projection in TMP, plus I'm guessing using CRTs was just plain easier/cheaper.

The thing is, most of them are displaying something static or a mild animation loop that I think they could have done just as well with backlit transparencies.

Yeah, that first contact thing is bad, and what's with the badly finished corners with pointy pieces and what look like spot weld points. Yikes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Today I learned that Jennifer Lien played Sandy, Stevo's girlfriend in SLC Punk and tbh I'm still reeling

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
https://www.vice.com/en/article/z34883/scie-discover-huge-extragalactic-structure-in-zone-of-avoidance

Looks like scientists have discovered the home of the 10C a bit early. At least we have a way to communicate with them early this time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh poo poo they found Bolder's Ring

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

zoux posted:

You should skip nothing. You got something else you wanna watch?

I'm a fairweather fan of s1, can we just turn a blind eye, like doing cool shady stuff on the promenade. We'll meet up at s2 with a knowing nod and pretend nothing happened.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You need to move along home with all that talk of skipping season 1.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TengenNewsEditor posted:

voyager has nothing as offensive (and therefore worth skipping) as ds9 does with "profit and lace"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The one where Seven gets her nanoprobes jacked is really bad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops posted:

The one where Seven gets her nanoprobes jacked is really bad
It's definitely aged very poorly

Apparently the writer (who is a woman) was doing an episode about repressed memories, which was a big thing in the 90s, but when you look at it now it's definitely more like people refusing to believe a sexual assault survivor

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm a fairweather fan of s1, can we just turn a blind eye, like doing cool shady stuff on the promenade. We'll meet up at s2 with a knowing nod and pretend nothing happened.

Figure watch the guest star credits of any given episode. If Andrew Robinson is in it, you do. not. skip.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Today I learned that Jennifer Lien played Sandy, Stevo's girlfriend in SLC Punk and tbh I'm still reeling

Her and Captain Sisko were in a movie together too in case you didn't know.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yes! But slc punk is a much more fun casual watch than American history x

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TengenNewsEditor posted:

I unironically regret doing this more than any other TV-watching decision I've ever made. Not because Voyager is offensively bad, but because so much of it is just so amazingly bland and forgettable.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
The worst episodes of DS9 should be watched for the experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It is fascinating to be watching one of the best seasons of TV ever made and then just the whiplash of In the Pale Moonlight, then a few episodes later are Profit and Lace and Time's Orphan, immediately followed by The Sound of Her Voice.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Profit and Lace is wonderful aside from its very 90s gender politics.

But maybe I was just expecting it to land a lot worse post-transition, so when I revisited it last it merely beat out my expectations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah I honestly wasn't really that bothered by Profit and Lace, it's probably the weakest Ferengi episode but I didn't find it offensive on the same level as Code of Honour by any means. Time's Orphan is the weaker showing imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

LividLiquid posted:

Profit and Lace is wonderful aside from its very 90s gender politics.

But maybe I was just expecting it to land a lot worse post-transition, so when I revisited it last it merely beat out my expectations.

Profit and Lace is very, very 90s. But then again, it was produced and aired in the 90s. In the Pale Moonlight is timeless. P&L is... incredibly not.