Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

By popular demand posted:

I was expecting the right wing to get weird about this story but I wasn't expecting this
:gop:

Redemptive violence is a key component of fascist ideology, but they aren't comfortable explicitly endorsing this until Trump or DeSantis is in the White House so they have to dogwhistle and Q their way around justifying it for now. It will continue and it will get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

I was expecting the right wing to get weird about this story but I wasn't expecting this
:gop:

It's been a long slide, but Jan 6 in particular really mainstreamed how much of the GOP as a whole regards political violence as legitimate and acceptable. Of course, outside of a narrow slice of the more extreme MAGA candidates, they are not going to admit that. So you get large segments party making poo poo up whole cloth as a way out of condemning the violence. By pretending it has nothing to do with politics, and demonizing gay people at the same time. It only gets worse from here.

That said, Lester may well be dumb enough to actually believe it.

Edit: beaten

I dont know fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 3, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

skeleton warrior posted:

Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing which ‘mainstream’ cartoonist alludes to it being the truth first- Lester, Varvel, or Stiglich

Bok’s an outside possibility because while he’s never been particularly fringe in his beliefs, he’s incredibly stupid but thinks he’s smart, and the whole “the glass was on the outside of the window” is designed to appeal to those types

Well the answer came quick.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ah, I see, we’re redrawing the ‘what is woke’ line so it includes the mealymouthed messaging that every large company started doing in the 1990s.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/EandPCartoons/status/1587833159944585216?t=p9xOkyOs_VL7k7Wkke-0pw&s=19

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The message is fine, but I'm just fascinated with how this guy thinks a coin flip happens, based on the visual indicators on the donkey. From the looks of it, your hand tremors, then the coin flies out perfectly flat in a spiral pattern.

Also,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Neito posted:

The message is fine, but I'm just fascinated with how this guy thinks a coin flip happens, based on the visual indicators on the donkey. From the looks of it, your hand tremors, then the coin flies out perfectly flat in a spiral pattern.

Also,

For real. Please, look at any other cartoon ever besides the one you puke out every day! There's an actual logic to these lines, stop guessing! Craft!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Loved Grim Fandango

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Oh, for sure. This way they get to imply not only is it not their guy, but it is in fact some loony lefty, AND they get to call Paul Pelosi secretly gay! Really feeds into everything they love.

I think what's worse is they don't believe any of this, not really. They joke about it and yuk it up because it allows them to express that they're happy about the political violence and want more assassination attempts to happen, but they can pretend that they're laughing because it's funny

Edit: to put it another way, the obvious lies are dog whistles for support of political assassinations

Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 3, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm just upset that there were no references to the last assassination in American history involving a hammer.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on a Cop27 about-turn – Rishi Sunak U-turns on decision not to attend climate summit"

Telegraph:

World on 'brink of nuclear war', claims Russia

Matt:

NHS seeks £7bn extra as Rishi Sunak says health service spending will be prioritised

Independent:

Embattled Suella Braverman visits Dover and Manston amid immigration crisis

Times:

Evening Standard:

:derp: Mars Wrigley to remove Bounty bars from Celebrations chocolate tubs in pre-Christmas trial :ohdear:

Stephen Collins:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They've gone too far this time. :mad:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/KartoonistKelly/status/1588215446095810560?t=qIco1wTYSuhMhr2BxW93mw&s=19

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And this fits perfectly with the theme of Stan Kelly being a lonely misanthrope who has no loving family gathering full of love and great food.
At least I hope that's how your holidays look yanks, I'd hate to discover you're just pretending to hide the desperation.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
All the stores around here changed their seasonal section from Halloween to Christmas in mid October. I wish I lived in Stan Kelly's world.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

And this fits perfectly with the theme of Stan Kelly being a lonely misanthrope who has no loving family gathering full of love and great food.
At least I hope that's how your holidays look yanks, I'd hate to discover you're just pretending to hide the desperation.
its both

eating with family while hiding the despair and desperation,everyone tense as poo poo that someone will say something

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somfin posted:

Putin is using Iranian weapons is a hell of a new one!

Russia has been chucking Iranian-built drone munitions at Ukrainian civilians for weeks now. It's kind of a big deal. Hell, Iran is also planning to sell Russia ballistic missiles, which would be rather funny in a geostrategic sense if it wasn't going to get lots of people killed.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 3, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No Nut Loaf November

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The best thing about this is it all would be solved by having Canadian Thanksgiving. We get Thanksgiving poo poo post back to school, then Halloween, then Christmas. It's a beautiful capitalist nightmare

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
At least in my family it's a mix of joy and despair. It's the one time a year when most of the extended family gathers together. Everyone feast, then the adults booze it up and have a fire in the backyard while the kids play card games. However, the entire time everyone is desperately hoping that one uncle doesn't decide to start talking politics or some obscure 40 year old squabble doesn't suddenly come up.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 3, 2022

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

There is still at least a month of flood risk as rivers continue to rise around Australia.

Rowe:

ASX falls sharply, Wall Street slumps as Federal Reserve keeps raising rates aggressively (ABC).

Wilcox:

Cassius Turvey: thousands attend vigils across the country for allegedly murdered schoolboy (Guardian).

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Australian Federal Police gives Solomon Islands police semi-automatic rifles, vehicles (ABC).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Already responded to by Discendo Vox, but thank you

I was mostly commenting on the fact that I hadn't seen any other cartoons about it, and of course Ramirez would go for it as an Iran Bad thing

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Thanksgiving just kinda exists. The decorations are vaguely “fall”, so pumpkins…leaves…corn…? The “pilgrim and natives” motifs have obviously not aged well. So in general the decorating is way less fun than either Halloween or Christmas and our house just skips.

And Thanksgiving is basically a big meal with family, which you’re going to be doing again in a month anyways so it’s really just an excuse for a long week if overeating. Which is fine, I am someone who loves to cook and spends Thanksgiving with chosen family so the holiday has none of the normal pitfalls for me, but even then compared to the other two holiday it’s very lacking. And again, the holiday’s origins are made…uncomfortable by the whole “two centuries of genocide” thing we did after the first Thanksgiving.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

US the initiator of war by Luo Jie

Charlie Hebdo

Careers at risk: Soon the good life for our undocumented workers
"You'd think you were in Qatar."

The following two images are on steroid usage and the world cup.

NWS: Butt

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I have terminal America brain because my initial reaction was being confused at nation wide vigils for a single school child death. Ah to live in the land of the free where dozens of dead kids from mass shootings over and over again has completely broke your brain

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

US the initiator of war by Luo Jie

For a paper called China Daily they sure don't talk about China much.

Also, the 'Taiwan Question' always gives me a gross feeling. Probably just personal bias, but it sounds too close to 'Jewish Question' in the terms of a hostile power persecuting a smaller group.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

J.A.B.C. posted:

For a paper called China Daily they sure don't talk about China much.

Also, the 'Taiwan Question' always gives me a gross feeling. Probably just personal bias, but it sounds too close to 'Jewish Question' in the terms of a hostile power persecuting a smaller group.

Me: Constantly talks about forcibly integrating a territory at the maximal extent of my historic empire(that was technically brought in when i was at war with the side that still occupies it)

Also Me: why has America done this?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

He's just so happy!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Us Dictatorships Have To Stick Together

Ted Rall posted:

Supporters of Ukraine keep saying that it’s a democracy. But it’s not. President Zelensky has banned rival political parties and shut down all media outlets except for official state media that supports him. On the other hand, the United States doesn’t really have much democracy to brag about either.

First Dog on the Moon: Is there a better way to get climate change on the front page of the world's newspapers than soup on Van Gogh?!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trapezium Dave posted:

Oh yeah I forgot that part of the definition, 3 party minimum for Democracies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Rall's pro-Russian propaganda is so transparent. Next week he will raise the issue of Ukrainian homos murdering Russian children.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Does Rall think Russia is a democracy? Does Rall think democracy is good or bad?

I'm not shitposting, these are honest questions. Like I'm just curious if he thinks Russia, a country with a president who semi frequently assassinates political opponents, is a true democracy. Or if he's like "Yeah Russia isn't a democracy but that's okay because democracies are bad anyway."

And while I'm aware that the Republicans and the Democrats are the only parties that matter (especially on the national level due to how loving awful the electoral college system is) the US does in fact have more than two parties. And historically some have done quite well. Hell in my lifetime we had one of the most successful third party candidates ever in the 92 election, Ross Perot. While he didn't get any electoral votes Perot got 18.9% of the popular vote, which is loving massive for a third party candidate.

And it's not even like third party candidates haven't been successful on a national level at all, either, there's been a few independent or third party members in Congress. Though Rall probably wouldn't count them, since independents often end up supporting one of the two major parties (especially in the Senate, for determining who has control) like Bernie, King and Lieberman supporting the Dems. There is also Justin Amash who was the first Libertarian in Congress, though that one probably is cheating a bit since he was a Republican for many years, and changed to Libertarian after he was elected in his most recent term, and then said he wouldn't run for reelection after the party change.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I'm so inured to Rall's terrible art I almost didn't notice that guy's whole arms/hands (or lack thereof) situation.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Trapezium Dave posted:

Friday's Rall is going to be about Ukraine which you would think would break the chain except the subtext is still "so don't bother voting".

Trapezium Dave posted:

nicely called

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kinda weird how you have to call all these people and they're not just showing up.
Wonder why that is.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Does Rall think Russia is a democracy? Does Rall think democracy is good or bad?

I mean, the real answer is "Rall thinks he's the smartest person in the room, and will adopt any stance that allows him to feel that way". His goal isn't noble truth or even crass money; it's the tingly feeling of satisfaction he gets in his little homeless pushers every time he gets to say "Well, actually...."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I wouldn't underestimate the crass money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I wouldn't underestimate the crass money!

I'm sure the money doesn't hurt, but if you got money for cranking it every day, would you say your passion in the money or the orgasms?