Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m pretty eager to hear whenever they announce whatever the first expansion for Distant Worlds 2 is. DW:U is a game that absolutely has it going on.

Edit: Just picked up Sword of the Stars 1 Complete Edition and Emperor of the Fading Suns together on GOG for $6.98. That's not a bad deal!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

I should go reread the SotS 2 thread starting from release day, that was such an amazing clusterfuck of bullshit.

Jesus that was the most disappointing release after coming into SotS 1 late in it's lifecycle. Was really hyped for 2 but after like a week or two of the game literally being unplayable I memory dumped it.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m pretty eager to hear whenever they announce whatever the first expansion for Distant Worlds 2 is. DW:U is a game that absolutely has it going on.

Edit: Just picked up Sword of the Stars 1 Complete Edition and Emperor of the Fading Suns together on GOG for $6.98. That's not a bad deal!

I think you'll enjoy SotS1; it's a really good game, almost a Total War in space. Also, the Tarkins are the "default" species in the game with pretty vanilla game mechanics not the humans (as what usually happens in these kinds of games). I'd also play on like a 2d map at first because as fun as 3d maps are they can get crazy. Finally, I don't have a link but I remember there being a mod that makes trade work a lot better than it is by default...I think makes it more profitable + easier to manage? I'm sure someone on here knows.

Now I wanna play SotS1 and play as a slow but unstoppable wave of Hiver fleets....

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 2, 2022

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Has the already discussed Sins of a Solar Empire 2? It's in early access on the Epic store, and I'm kinda excited but haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone played it? Heard anything good or bad about it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Megazver posted:

There was a LP in the LP forum years ago and tbh while all the bits from the tabletop RPG (lore, art) were great, it did not feel like a game I'd enjoy playing.

Do you have a link? I'd like to read that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gato The Elder posted:

Has the already discussed Sins of a Solar Empire 2? It's in early access on the Epic store, and I'm kinda excited but haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone played it? Heard anything good or bad about it?

It's literally a tech demo, just skirmish with one race and very bare bones, I refunded it. Give it six months.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Do you have a link? I'd like to read that.

I've tried to find it, but it didn't make it to LParchive, alas:

quote:

The flash drive I was keeping the files on died, IIRC. I think I accidentally washed it. Took out both that LP and my Emperor of the Fading Suns LP. The files I had on my one PC were about 3 weeks old at that point and I didn't feel like replaying them any.

It happened twice to the EFS LP, that was one cursed LP. :(

quote:

I'd like to see a screenshot LP of Emperor of the Fading Suns. I thought there was one, but apparently it died an inglorious death like a decade ago and its images were scattered to the winds by the demise of Waffleimages.

EDIT: Nvm, actually found it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2705713

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 2, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Was about to come in here to ask for a LP of Emperor of the Fading Suns. The graphics and aesthetics are extremely my poo poo, but drat does this game look complex.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

sebmojo posted:

It's literally a tech demo, just skirmish with one race and very bare bones, I refunded it. Give it six months.

This except 3 years.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gato The Elder posted:

Leave it for a year and check back then. Stated one year release goals are that it'll have all the Sins 1 features at base game plus a few exclusive tricks on top of an engine that's not 32 bit which'll open up the modding space a lot, but for now it's got almost nothing.

Maybe they make that deadline maybe no, but where they are then will inform a lot about how it'll go.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
It's really interesting how the standard is becoming "Release on EA for a year in epic games for that sweet exclusive money. Then release on steam when it's actually good."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jarvisi posted:

It's really interesting how the standard is becoming "Release on EA for a year in epic games for that sweet exclusive money. Then release on steam when it's actually good."

I don’t mind it. It ensures the devs get the money and time to make a finished product, and when it eventually comes to Steam, I’ll have a complete product to buy. Usually.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Megazver posted:

I've tried to find it, but it didn't make it to LParchive, alas:

EDIT: Nvm, actually found it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2705713

Ahahaha I forgot that in EFS the Harkonnen expy family (that is, the evil, decadent one) is called “House Decados” and starts with inbreeding.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jarvisi posted:

The extra funny thing is how a lot of people don't even realize that games are out on Epic until they show up on steam a full year+ later.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
All this talk about SotS got me to re-install the SotS1 Complete Edition and it does work in 4K with some jank (changing it to 4K via the settings wasn't working correctly initially). I had forgotten about the forced end turn count down with no option to disable it in settings, you have to edit a text file to turn that annoying poo poo off.

LOL, mecron'd again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
SotS1 baffles me because the game is so loving good on so many levels that it seems impossible that it was that good by accident, but on the flip side every other game Kerberos ever made ranged from "absolutely embarrasingly terrible" to "barely mediocre" so I have no idea what happened.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kerberos was run by a core of basically competent designers who've worked on lots of other solid projects, but weren't really project managers or willing to let anyone tell them 'no'. When they had a bare minimum of resources they built a very tight game with a minimum of cruft out of (presumably) all the cool ideas that didn't make it into Homeworld Cataclysm, when that was over with and they had the freedom to do whatever they wanted, they did, and everything went to hell.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 2, 2022

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Kerberos was run by a core of basically competent designers who've worked on lots of other solid projects, but weren't really project managers or willing to let anyone tell them 'no'. When they had a bare minimum of resources they built a very tight game with a minimum of cruft out of (presumably) all the cool ideas that didn't make it into Homeworld Cataclysm, when that was over with and they had the freedom to do whatever they wanted, they did, and everything went to hell.

That and a small amount of ego & smugness. /s (It was a lot of that.)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Kinda surprised there hasn't been a good SotS1 clone by now.

e: Actually, there hasn't been a good MOO2 clone either so I don't know why I'm surprised about the other.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 2, 2022

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

there will never be a good moo clone because moo1 was better than 2 and everyone thinks otherwise

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I mean does MoO2 need a clone? Every space 4x since then has essentially copied its model.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Agean90 posted:

there will never be a good moo clone because moo1 was better than 2 and everyone thinks otherwise

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
All I want from MoO2 is a Stellaris sized Map, more ship sets and more aliens.

The huge map is far too small.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

RandomBlue posted:

Kinda surprised there hasn't been a good SotS1 clone by now.

Coding different movement systems and the AI to use them is no small task. Stellaris dropped their different FTLs and they're an orders or magnitude saner outfit.

I think what's more likely is Greg Costikyan makes another run at Kickstarter publishing Web and Starship, one of SotS' primary influences. It's so fundamental an inspiration that even Mecron can see past his own ego to admit it. They were even talking about adding more races with different FTL, design coming full circle and SotS feeding back into the original. (The KS fell apart for the most excusable reason; the guy running it, Stewart Weick, suddenly died)

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Does Distant Worlds 2 still have that feeling of scale that the original did? The original felt huge with hundreds of ships flying all over the place.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Travic posted:

Does Distant Worlds 2 still have that feeling of scale that the original did? The original felt huge with hundreds of ships flying all over the place.

Yes. At least, to me it does. Possibly larger since it’s running on a 64bit 3D engine and can have larger galaxies than the original. DW2 is a pretty awesome game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I mean does MoO2 need a clone? Every space 4x since then has essentially copied its model.

Not all of them, Space Empires was originally made the same year MO (the original) came out and by the year MO2 came out, Space Empires II was also already there. (MO2 released in 1996, SEII in 1995)

And Ascendancy also released in 1995, one year before MO2 and did its own thing too.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh drat, and Distant Worlds 2 got a great bit patch today that redoes Research and Diplomacy and seems to fix a ton of poo poo, too. Good timing on the interest.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RandomBlue posted:

This except 3 years.

Yeeeeup.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
What are peoples' best examples of 4x games where faction significantly changes gameplay in ways more than just pure combat? SotS comes straight to mind given the different transit techs used by the different species; I'm looking for something about that level or better where the lava people faction isn't just a reskin of the bug people faction with a couple different units available. I want to be able to colonize volcanos as the lava people and lay eggs in other people as the bug people.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Endless series does a pretty good job of that, with every faction totally revamping or ignoring at least one major gameplay system.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Valatar posted:

What are peoples' best examples of 4x games where faction significantly changes gameplay in ways more than just pure combat? SotS comes straight to mind given the different transit techs used by the different species; I'm looking for something about that level or better where the lava people faction isn't just a reskin of the bug people faction with a couple different units available. I want to be able to colonize volcanos as the lava people and lay eggs in other people as the bug people.

Fall From Heaven 2

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Emperor of the Fading Suns is one of my favourite 4Xs from my childhood and I just discovered it got an update (which is nuts, the last time this was updated was like 20 years ago). I think it’s still only on gog.com. The update seems to be folding in a lot of the work done by modders over the years.

It’s a very old game so don’t expect much by way of graphics or a modern UI, but if you want a Dune / 40K 4X, there’s still none better IMO.

Glory be.

This is unexpected, and happy news. Very unexpected. 25 years down the line unexpected. I remember using I think the Hyperion fan patch a long time ago. This is some goodness and I hope the modders can take full advantage.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

chaosapiant posted:

Any solid guides or cheesy tactics for Age of Wonders 1? Even on the easiest difficulty on the first map the game sends full stack to your towns inside of like 10 turns. I kinda just want to cruise around and blow poo poo up and don’t want to have a massive tug-of-war-of-attrition just getting thru the campaign.

I play aow1 multiplayer with people that have been playing it for 20 years straight. Here's what I've learned.

- Go through all of the events each turn in the bottom right. Sometimes you can see enemy movement and actions that you would otherwise be oblivious to.

- take your time each turn and make sure to move all your units when you can while using them effectively as possible. Since the only way to make larger armies is with more gold income, the game encourages attacking and capturing as fast as possible as you can while taking as little damage as you can manage. Turtling only makes the enemy stronger.

- Oddly enough, the bulk of the game revolves around two things: 1. Walls and 2. Heroes. Walls prevent a lot of units from invading your towns, so much of the game will involve the interplay between creating units that have wall crushing/tunneling/flying and prioritizing targetting the enemies with the same abilities.

- keep your stacks of units on the map close together. Combat is initiated in the hex being attacked and the six hexes around it. make sure your stacks are included in those outer hexes.when attacking or defending. It is easy to screw this up.

- The strongest start build you can make is a cold strike, archery/hurl stones/poison darts, the highest marksmanship you can take, and spellcasting 2. If you have the option to get a firearm in the game, even better. In fast combat, the high marksmanship means you can destroy early game enemies really quick in both combat modes, get the first shot off, stun enemies and cast combat spells. On the strategic map, use your spells to boost your stats up and use your skill points to bring the other stats up that don't have spells for to get them all as high as possible. Skills to absolutely grab in the level ups include: extra strike, spellcasting V and wall climbing. The expert players in MP often have a build worked out from start to finish and have mapped out what spells they need with what abilities.

- defense points both dodge combat spells and physical hits. Resistance dodges status effects cause by spells or unit abilities. It's important to know the difference between the two. If you are dying too fast to physical attacks and combat spells, increase defense. If you are succumbing too easily to poison, burning, ice, fear, etc..., boost resistance.

- use a battering ram to explore dungeons. It will retreat from combat and you can see what units are inside.

- dont be afraid to raze tier 1 towns if you feel you can't hold them or can't wait around to migrate the race. Often it pays off (literally) to destroy them and they can be rebuilt with a builder's hall.

- When using fast combat, It helps to think of it as an rts, where archers are the shock troops, swordsmen are your grunts and calvary are your tanks. late game, tier 4 units will dominate everything and your hero will be able to almost solo everything at the end of the campaign.

- there is a seemingly useless spell in the game called "cosmagic transformation' you can get only at wizards towers. If you cast this on the enemy hero, you can track their movements anywhere on the map by going to the magic distribution menu and focusing on on the unit via the spell maintenance list.

For the early game: Fast combat both has ranged units being given a free turn to attack, and the archers prioritize whatever unit has the most hit points, followed by targeting the other archers . So often I'll have a slew of tier one archers for wearing down the bigger units, a mix of swordsmen + the races unique tier 1 do the bulk of the damage and take most of the damage, and the cavalry 'tanks' are there to distract the enemy archers and do damage to weaker units, and a healer unit to keep healing post-combat.

Tactical combat: press f5 to turn on the grid so you can count distance units. Again, range is the name of the game. With the grid on you can count the range of abilities a lot easier and plan for maximum distance. Don't use auto mode on tactical combat ever. You will have worse outcomes of you do.

If you want a link to our discord, feel free to pm me.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 4, 2022

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Stars! Universe or bust.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

anyone have recs for "coffee break" 4X games if they exist? Don't have to be actual short spanned in game length, but just something lighter than Civ to tinker with after work when im tired and don't have a lot of brainpower to use

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Freeciv is a free and improved version of the first civ games, it's very intuitive if you've played the series before, but much simpler overall, and easy to pick up and set down without having to worry about remembering what tile adjacencies you were reserving a tile for or whatever that the new games have. Play on one of the easier settings so the AI doesn't get a bunch of bonuses, and you're golden.

The opposite of what you're asking would be Dominions 5. I can confirm that if you're physically exhausted after a not-exactly-mentally-stimulating job, Dominions 5 turns do a wonderful job getting your brain cells to work again, especially since (if you're playing multiplayer) your brain is going to start sort of passively work on your turns while you toil away at work.
It's awful if you're already straining yourself mentally, though, but in that case I'd advise competitive grass touching instead. :v:

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Valatar posted:

Reach for the Stars is the game I'd like someone to steal from someday. Planets had classification from temperature and gravity and atmosphere, and each of the 16 race had different needs. So theoretically the hot gas dwelling giant balloon aliens had no real reason to compete with the tiny vacuum cold asteroid crabs.

There was some difference in the tech trees, as in the above example the balloon aliens building a destroyer was a very late game tech because they were bad at building small stuff, etc. The day to day gameplay isn't totally different so not entirely what you're asking, but in a modern game the potential to develop that is there.

Definitely don't just go and grab it , as a game I think it's fair to say it's Not Great but I have a soft spot for it. But I think there's some cool ideas there and I'd like to see a game take advantage of the variety of planets and make a game where it might make sense to coexist when species fill different biological niches. I feel like in most space games biome is just "what type of planet I can colonize first."

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 4, 2022

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stars in Shadow is a pretty decent effort at a MoO clone. It's call to fame is planets having biomes, so for example you can double the population capacity of an earth type planet by settling an aquatic species on it.

Stellar Monarch 2 has actually released as well, I haven't played it yet but apparently it's just the first game with bells and whistles.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone tried DW2 with the new big patch? I've been waiting to pick it up until it had some polish on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

anyone have recs for "coffee break" 4X games if they exist? Don't have to be actual short spanned in game length, but just something lighter than Civ to tinker with after work when im tired and don't have a lot of brainpower to use

There's the freshly released Ozymandias, but it actually is meant to be a coffee-break/short 4X lite game.