Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

This is my favourite Indicate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 4, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's a very good boy

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Chris Riddell-rear end dog

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice
Trying to remember enough info about this deckbuilding challenge I read about a long time ago, wondering if anyone else remembers anything about it.

No bans, no cards limits, so 20/20/20 lotus channel fireball was fine. But then the decks would compete against each other in some kind of simulation to see who won and there was this crazy meta that kind of developed around certain stax, counter spells, etc.

It might have been on Reddit? Mostly drawing blanks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jobert posted:

Trying to remember enough info about this deckbuilding challenge I read about a long time ago, wondering if anyone else remembers anything about it.

No bans, no cards limits, so 20/20/20 lotus channel fireball was fine. But then the decks would compete against each other in some kind of simulation to see who won and there was this crazy meta that kind of developed around certain stax, counter spells, etc.

Three card blind maybe?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Three card blind is the one I remember.

Everyone submits a 3 card deck, someone calculates the results of playing every deck against every other (drawing from an empty library doesn't lose the game), and all the cards from the winning deck are banned in future rounds.

There were a bunch of variations, like whether you could play basic lands from outside the game or whether you had to use storage lands to build up mana for expensive spells.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Qwertycoatl posted:

Three card blind is the one I remember.

Everyone submits a 3 card deck, someone calculates the results of playing every deck against every other (drawing from an empty library doesn't lose the game), and all the cards from the winning deck are banned in future rounds.

There were a bunch of variations, like whether you could play basic lands from outside the game or whether you had to use storage lands to build up mana for expensive spells.

There's a weekly four card version of it floating around The Source.
They just wrapped up a "back build" league (losing gets you points, and your deck had to beat the worst (best) deck of last round to be legal)
And now they're doing a run where everyone starts off with WUBRG

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Chris Riddell-rear end dog

Matt Riddle-rear end dog as well.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
am I weird that I think non-legendary dogs should not cost 5 mana or be 3/3s?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
we had a 3/4 for 5 dog in m21, a 3/5 for 5 in innistrad, and a 4/4 for 4 back in exodus + those weren't even also soldiers

it really just depends on the context to me

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Goa Tse-tung posted:

So like, I feel like a massive dick because everyone else loves dogs, and sees any dog and says like, 'good boi' and 'I want that as my commander, I don't care it's not legendary!' and stuff, these are the only kinds of comments I saw in the reddit thread. But I don't love dogs. I don't really hate them, I find most of them a bit annoying and needy, some are kinda cute, but, you know, I don't 'on principle' love dogs just for being dogs

and this card, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Yeah, why is it a 5 mana 3/3 dog? And the art is like, a dog (that's a border collie, not a retriever?) that looks like it couldn't find it's dinner without you having to show it every. single. time. Why does it compare favorably in terms of power with a "minotaur skullcleaver"?

Sure, yes, power of creatures is all over the place and I get that you can't really compare them like that. But I just feel like "It's a cute good boy!" is doing so much heavy lifting here in terms of flavour, that when that doesn't land it feels utterly bizarre as a card?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

!Klams posted:

So like, I feel like a massive dick because everyone else loves dogs, and sees any dog and says like, 'good boi' and 'I want that as my commander, I don't care it's not legendary!' and stuff, these are the only kinds of comments I saw in the reddit thread. But I don't love dogs. I don't really hate them, I find most of them a bit annoying and needy, some are kinda cute, but, you know, I don't 'on principle' love dogs just for being dogs

and this card, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Yeah, why is it a 5 mana 3/3 dog? And the art is like, a dog (that's a border collie, not a retriever?) that looks like it couldn't find it's dinner without you having to show it every. single. time. Why does it compare favorably in terms of power with a "minotaur skullcleaver"?

Sure, yes, power of creatures is all over the place and I get that you can't really compare them like that. But I just feel like "It's a cute good boy!" is doing so much heavy lifting here in terms of flavour, that when that doesn't land it feels utterly bizarre as a card?

:mods:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's a 3/3 for 5 mana because it's got that harness full of drugs to rescue wounded soldiers, and presumably also affords it some kind of defenses beyond just hoping the enemy stops to go, "D'aaaawwww, who's a good boy?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

!Klams posted:

source your quotes

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
it has 3 toughness to represent the inherent difficulty of attacking something so precious and cute
it has 3 power because it's packing a glock in a concealed holster

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if soldier is going to be a deck theme, then it doesn't seem that bad to me. flash it in midcombat to buff and make all your other soldiers invulnerable, pretty self-explanatory why it's a bit more expensive

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Eikre posted:

When I was a boy, I thought Gerrard, fabulous magical naval hero with the handsome beard and funky friends, was the greatest MTG self insert wish fulfillment fantasy.

Then, when I had grown, I felt that Urza, the magnificent long-term planner and achiever, the one who is propelled to greatness by his all-consuming passion and a singular fundamental goal, was the greatest MTG self insert wish fulfillment fantasy.

But now I am a man, and I have attained the wisdom that it is Tawnos, man of absolutely initiative, loving around with toys all day and surviving all the troubles of the world unscathed with his terrifying redheaded lover, who the greatest MTG self insert wish fulfillment fantasy.

It's Karn, the dude who makes all the same mistakes as his gently caress up dad, but it's totally cool since unlike his rear end in a top hat dad at least he's ideologically morally pure.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I just assume a "small" creature can be anything up to about a 4/4 for game balance reasons without really thinking about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soldiers are 1/1s, plus this dog thinks it's a bear.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

W.T. Fits posted:

It's a 3/3 for 5 mana because it's got that harness full of drugs to rescue wounded soldiers, and presumably also affords it some kind of defenses beyond just hoping the enemy stops to go, "D'aaaawwww, who's a good boy?"

Here comes the puppers with a mouth full of uppers.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Legions to Ashes, funk to funky
We know Ragavan's a monkey

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up...

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
What? Legendary dogs cost 1.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
just make it legendary! the picture already is, it's not broken in commander or constructed, and a it's a rare in limited!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think they should make less things legendary

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just make it legendary! the picture already is, it's not broken in commander or constructed, and a it's a rare in limited!

It's a jumpstart rare, so beyond rare in limited (beyond mythic even).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Back in my day, we had Isamaru, Hound of Konda and that was enough for us.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

and a it's a rare in limited!

It's not in limited at all, it's from jumpstart

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they should retroactively make all permanents legendary. makes the game state much easier to track because then there's no ambiguity about which permanent you're talking about at any given time

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

they should retroactively make all permanents legendary. makes the game state much easier to track because then there's no ambiguity about which permanent you're talking about at any given time

and bring back the old legend rule so my opponent and I can blow up each other's lands in the mirror

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kashuno posted:

and bring back the old legend rule so my opponent and I can blow up each other's lands in the mirror

The old legend rule means that the second person can't play the legendary land. You want the old old new old legend rule.

e: they can play it but it's immediately buried

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Eikre posted:

But now I am a man, and I have attained the wisdom that it is Tawnos, man of absolutely initiative, loving around with toys all day and surviving all the troubles of the world unscathed with his terrifying redheaded lover, who the greatest MTG self insert wish fulfillment fantasy.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

It's not in limited at all, it's from jumpstart

oh, well I can't complain then, would be too complex I guess

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wait, is it standard (pioneer?) legal or not?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Serf posted:

Back in my day, we had Isamaru, Hound of Konda and that was enough for us.

It's dog of Honda now.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Jobert posted:

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/what-if-the-4-card-limit-was-abolished-in-modern/

Pretty sure you're thinking of this Frank Karsten CFB article about Modern if there was no card limit, where the first deck he presents is 60x Chancellor of the Dross.

It's a very good article.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 4, 2022

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

Wait, is it standard (pioneer?) legal or not?

It's Standard legal. Starting with Dominaria United iirc they also do set-specific Jumpstart packs. They're not a whole big set thing like the original Jumpstart was(and Jumpstart 2 will be), but there's 2 packs per color. Same themes and a rare that's the same regardless of which pack(Both White A and B are Soldier themed and have the dog in it for example) but have different commons and uncommons. Cards in these are considered part of the main set and are as legal in formats as any of the other cards in their appropriate set.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tulul posted:

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/what-if-the-4-card-limit-was-abolished-in-modern/

Pretty sure you're thinking of this Frank Karsten CFB article about Modern if there was no card limit, where the first deck he presents is 60x Chancellor of the Dross.

It's a very good article.

I remember when Arena first had the no card limit event, it was 40 card even. Because the first strong meta deck was a mill deck people went far above the limit and for a day you had mostly mill mirrors between 200 card decks.
The strongest deck was eventually a self mill deck using creeping chill, dark ritual and doom whisperer.
And of course the leyline meta described in the article also existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Here comes the puppers with a mouth full of uppers.

...and just like that I've done a total 180 on the card and think it's awesome.

I hadn't really pictured it as a St.Bernard but with a keg full of combat drugs, and now the absolutely fuckin' deranged pic takes on a totally different vibe that I'm massively here for. Now I want the card, so I can do an alter on it with that in the text box.