Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smoobles posted:

I am almost certain you can lay people off with pay in lieu of notice, they'll just pay them for 60 days. It's common practice in downsizing. You can't have a disgruntled employee showing up for 2 more months, let alone 4,000 of them, it would be chaos.

That said, Elon is certainly stupid and evil enough to try to not pay them for 60 days. Would not be surprised at all.

Doesn’t seem like there would’ve been much of a point in him doing this if he didn’t expect to get out of having to pay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

He wanted to lay people off ASAP, not wait 60 days like the WARN act wants.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And predictably from the replies some bazinga...

https://twitter.com/FuturamaKing/status/1588388150199869440

Bio says they're into "space&tesla". Huh weird.

In a way I wish I had the kind of unearned confidence to rush in to say "I'm not a lawyer, but hey lawyer let me correct you on your literal area of expertise" but in another more significant way I am very glad I do not.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
From the DOL website https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ETA/Layoff/pdfs/_EmployerWARN2003.pdf

quote:

Can I pay my workers their salary and benefits for 60 days in lieu of notice?

Neither the Act nor the regulations recognize the concept of pay in lieu of
notice. WARN requires notice, making no provision for any alternative.
Failure to give notice does a significant disservice to workers and under-
mines other services that are part of the purpose of the WARN Act. However,
since WARN provides that the maximum employer liability for damages,
including back pay and benefits, is for the period of violation up to 60 days,
providing your employees with full pay and benefits for the 60-day period
effectively precludes any relief.

Paying two months severance is the standard for tech layoffs even if they aren't big enough to trigger WARN and I have to imagine that is what is happening here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well the emails go out at 9pst, they could very well actually be 60 days notice instead of the actual layoff

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm willing to bet they haven't given much though to whom they fire, and they are gonna fire a bunch of critical personnel and find themselves up a creek.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i hope they don't fire dasharez0ne :ohdear:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe zucks can build a new twitter in the metaverse to try and find a use for it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At every big tech company there are about a dozen people who do some task as part of their job that if they didn't do it, the whole thing would break, and no one else knows how to do, and nobody knows exactly who these people are until they are gone.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Elon can't fire me, I'll keep deleting all the likes from various conservative accounts.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I'm willing to bet they haven't given much though to whom they fire, and they are gonna fire a bunch of critical personnel and find themselves up a creek.

It's been like less than a week there's no way there's been enough time to do this in anything but a slapdash way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If a few of the people who were already fired the past few days are starting a lawsuit, I have to imagine they weren't getting 60 days pay.

The idiot is trying to get out of paying the executives' contractual severance bonus, to which every lawyer on the internet is saying "lol no that's a guaranteed loss, Musk is gonna end up paying the money plus legal fees".

Of course he's dumb enough to try to fire half the company in violation of the law.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

more commits = better

crime weed fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 15, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John Wick of Dogs posted:

At every big tech company there are about a dozen people who do some task as part of their job that if they didn't do it, the whole thing would break, and no one else knows how to do, and nobody knows exactly who these people are until they are gone.

It's been too long since we've seen the sad Twitter whale jpg

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

crime weed posted:

more commits = better

ahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhaa

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I think Musk already did that when he fired all the people day 1 who would say, "Hey, dumbass, don't do that. You'll wreck the company and/or get into a lot of deep legal poo poo."

crime weed posted:

more commits = better

I'm a hack who slaps together ugly code to solve my data problems and I immediately went, "Oh holy gently caress!" at that.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 4, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Adding linebreaks to cement your safety.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Klyith posted:

At one time I thought that was a sign that he was real smart, that he intentionally picked the 2 most hide-bound industries to enter. But everything he's done since then has been... not that.

I got lucky that I never bought into any of his public image. My dad met him at a ballistic missile conference right after SpaceX was founded. He said he got up and gave a talk to a bunch of ballistic missile engineers that were 20-30+ years deep in the field for 30 minutes about absolutely nothing, stumbling all over himself, having no idea what the gently caress he was talking about when he did talk about something related to rockets; and then subsequently couldn't answer a single engineering question about engineering rockets to a room full of ballistic missile engineers. It was almost all about how much money he had, evidently. Really soured my dad on him something fierce, and I never took him seriously again after hearing that story.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

crime weed posted:

more commits = better

How does this work for like sales or HR or IT?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

This trending topic wasn't about Sandy Koufax....

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

How does this work for like sales or HR or IT?

Hr should be making commits to git repos, duh

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I got lucky that I never bought into any of his public image. My dad met him at a ballistic missile conference right after SpaceX was founded. He said he got up and gave a talk to a bunch of ballistic missile engineers that were 20-30+ years deep in the field for 30 minutes about absolutely nothing, stumbling all over himself, having no idea what the gently caress he was talking about when he did talk about something related to rockets; and then subsequently couldn't answer a single engineering question about engineering rockets to a room full of ballistic missile engineers. It was almost all about how much money he had, evidently. Really soured my dad on him something fierce, and I never took him seriously again after hearing that story.

Elon musk is the salesperson every company has who strolls Into a meeting room full of engineers proposing their new products to the board and goes "guys. I've got it! We simply make the product do twice as much, for half the price and half the size to boot!!", And then the board then applauds his "insanely good idea" while the engineers in the background are trying to explain why they've been trying to do that for literally forty years now.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well the emails go out at 9pst, they could very well actually be 60 days notice instead of the actual layoff

Earlier reporting said they were closing the offices and suspending badge access today to "smooth" this process. I have a hard time believing they'd do that just to give people an extra day off to stew.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

crime weed posted:

more commits = better

What does this mean, for those of us that don't code or whatever?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What's the Twitter equivalent of headbutting a Tesla on the production line? Has Musk tried that yet?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

crime weed posted:

more commits = better

I no nothing about writing code, but am I anywhere near correct in taking this to mean that someone who writes a very elegant, simple piece of code which addresses multiple issues at the same time, would be fired in favor of someone who writes big lumpy messes that fix individual instances rather than addressing the root cause?

If so, lmao.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Elviscat posted:

It's the number of times a person saved a change to twitter's internal software guts, regardless of how impactful those changes were. It's exactly the same level of thinking as someone who thinks a painting's value can be measured by the amount of paint used

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

Elviscat posted:

It's just a reference to source control. Think in terms of Wikipedia, I guess. If you edit more and add more text, you're automatically better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Elviscat posted:

Large scale programs use something called source control. Where a team of multiple people have access and can modify the program simultaneously. When you make a change on your computer, you "commit" the change and that propagates to the source control system, so everyone else has the changed version now. You also have the ability to roll back commits if there are problems, to easily switch to a previous version.

Most commits as a metric is ridiculous. You might go in and write a brand new giant function and only do a few commits in the process. You might go change the hex value of a color somewhere and commit it, and commit everytime you make a slight change and rack up dozens of commits in a day.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Elviscat posted:

Imagine you were writing a flowchart/manual for some sailor to learn, and those who wrote the longest flowchart were rewarded.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Pookah posted:

I no nothing about writing code, but am I anywhere near correct in taking this to mean that someone who writes a very elegant, simple piece of code which addresses multiple issues at the same time, would be fired in favor of someone who writes big lumpy messes that fix individual instances rather than addressing the root cause?

If so, lmao.

Yep, right on the money. It also ignores any vital non-committing activities like research tasks, assessing 3rd party libraries and vendors, data maintenance, mentoring, code reviewing, failure recovery efforts, etc

There's a reason the industry moved away from assessing engineer quality solely by lines of code written back in like, the 90s lol. That's some straight up pressed shirt and tie 1970s IBM type poo poo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
for a while i had removed more code from our codebase than i added to it and was very proud of that fact

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

LOL I would have survived because every pull request I make has a dozen extra commits for me to get rid of all my
code:
console.log('fart');
and other notes in the code that I made for myself while working.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

crime weed posted:

more commits = better

Holy poo poo this has to be fake right?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Perhaps if Elon simply reroutes power from the auxiliary warp manifolds

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Elviscat posted:

It is a famously bad method to judge productivity or quality.

:iiaca:
I can replace the alternator on my car. It took me most of an afternoon and I had to do one part twice because I wasn't sure I had it right. It would take a professional I'm guessing between 15-30 minutes. I looked more busy, but who was more productive?

Someone who produces lots of code and lots of commits might be a dummy trying to replace an alternator and being bad at it. Or it might be a highly skilled coder doing a complete engine rebuild.

Someone who produces less code & fewer commits might be a guy who is going around replacing spark plugs and brake pads. That guy is very important to keeping the cars running! Possibly their greatest skill isn't doing the fix itself, but knowing when the brakes are worn before they cause problems. Firing that guy is a big mistake.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Total Party Kill posted:

LOL I would have survived because every pull request I make has a dozen extra commits for me to get rid of all my
code:
console.log('fart');
and other notes in the code that I made for myself while working.

Just stop using functions and loops you’ll be twitters best engineer

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Elviscat posted:

The more revisions you make, the busier you look. This is very smart business sense because people who make more changes are more intelligent, eg Elon Musk

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And predictably from the replies some bazinga...

https://twitter.com/FuturamaKing/status/1588388150199869440

Bio says they're into "space&tesla". Huh weird.

In a way I wish I had the kind of unearned confidence to rush in to say "I'm not a lawyer, but hey lawyer let me correct you on your literal area of expertise" but in another more significant way I am very glad I do not.

"Not a lawyer but LOOK IT UP!"
:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Elviscat posted:

every time you save code you write, its a "commit". this includes corrections to previous errors.

so if you write a super long, verbose book full of errors, you're gonna have a huge leg up on everyone else.