Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I can see it limping on but just becoming a shell of itself, it depends on how this all plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I can see it limping on but just becoming a shell of itself, it depends on how this all plays out.

Thing is people might expect that as part of the apparently natural life cycle of social media, but at this point it feels like there's no way Musk is going to stop until he's run it completely into the ground.

Though I suppose that would describe Tumblr, which is its likely fate; being quietly sold off for a pittance after driving off most of its users and maybe quietly reviving under less delusional management.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I didn't know twitter had ads?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

I didn't know twitter had ads?

They're disguised as tweets.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Boooo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What are journalists going to do when they can no longer report on tweets?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

GrandpaPants posted:

This might be the biggest truth of them all. I swear 90% of articles I read anymore, especially sports-related ones, are just a headline and then 20 different re-posted tweets from athletes or celebs reacting.

Journalism has become a joke for many reasons, but this might be the biggest. “Screenshotting how an unrelated person reacted” is not telling a story or providing in-depth analysis, just like “reposting a series of tweets” isn’t an article. The sooner Twitter dies off the better.

I’ll just take a small frosty, thanks.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

GPTribefan posted:

This might be the biggest truth of them all. I swear 90% of articles I read anymore, especially sports-related ones, are just a headline and then 20 different re-posted tweets from athletes or celebs reacting.

Journalism has become a joke for many reasons, but this might be the biggest. “Screenshotting how an unrelated person reacted” is not telling a story or providing in-depth analysis, just like “reposting a series of tweets” isn’t an article. The sooner Twitter dies off the better.

As an aside, seems like every buzzfeed article is a review of a reddit thread, like a book report but for a popular AMITA or something like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently the layoffs started overnight with every Twitter employee receiving an email as to whether or not they still work for the company

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Obviously mileage varies on personal stuff, but if I worked at Twitter I would be hoping to be on the layoff team, take whatever the buyout is, and get off the crazy train.

I guess that’s assuming they give a payout package , but wtf company that large wouldn’t do a payout package with layoffs ?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Watching a corporate / social media giant implode in real time is going to be one for the ages

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Duckman2008 posted:

Obviously mileage varies on personal stuff, but if I worked at Twitter I would be hoping to be on the layoff team, take whatever the buyout is, and get off the crazy train.

I guess that’s assuming they give a payout package , but wtf company that large wouldn’t do a payout package with layoffs ?

Buddy, they didn't even pay the board members and the c level guys

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

GPTribefan posted:

the biggest reason journalism has gone to poo poo is that all the advertising that used to be spread across the news ecosystem is now entirely monopolized by google/apple/facebook. low effort twitter repostsing and seo-optimized filler articles are a symptom, those articles will just be replaced with some other garbage if twitter dies

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He’s going to refuse to pay anyone and say that they were terminated for cause

It’s not going to work but I understand that Musk hates paying severance so this is normal for him

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Buddy, they didn't even pay the board members and the c level guys

Lol this is a very good point.

What happens, the employees do a class action lawsuit and sue ?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The high level guys are definitely suing or sending letters of demand now, if musk hasn't reached out to quietly settle with them. I believe Twitter has already violated some law where 1 month notice is required before high number layoffs and a class action suit has already been initiated

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol this is a very good point.

What happens, the employees do a class action lawsuit and sue ?

Supposedly already in the works!

https://twitter.com/josheidelson/st...com%2F527474868

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The high level guys are definitely suing or sending letters of demand now, if musk hasn't reached out to quietly settle with them. I believe Twitter has already violated some law where 1 month notice is required before high number layoffs and a class action suit has already been initiated
There’s a state law in CA where if you do layoffs you need to give 60 days notice or pay 60 days severance

He didn’t do either

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s going to refuse to pay anyone and say that they were terminated for cause

It’s not going to work but I understand that Musk hates paying severance so this is normal for him

Much like Trump the rich hate paying people. I bet Musk is just like Trump in that he sees literally every situation as zero sum where he's either the winner or the loser and pathologically has to never be the loser

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s a state law in CA where if you do layoffs you need to give 60 days notice or pay 60 days severance

He didn’t do either

I think there are both federal and California versions of the WARN Act, yeah.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Much like Trump the rich hate paying people. I bet Musk is just like Trump in that he sees literally every situation as zero sum where he's either the winner or the loser and pathologically has to never be the loser
Well he thinks that the laws don’t apply to him

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Everyone just got all their stock bought out, so most of them should have a windfall already to ease the transition to a new job or manage the holdout during the class action.

Usually this firing everyone and telling them to get hosed routine only works because the victims have to get a job yesterday or they lose their house. But big brains over here just wrote everyone a check last week.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ireneista/status/1588375110012276736

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a hs friend of mine was working for Twitter but got out before this shitshow.

he had joined the ethics team but didn't stay more than a couple of months iiuc (for reasons that seem obvious)

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

No such thing as a weekend if your employee's week never ends :slick:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Empty Sandwich posted:

a hs friend of mine was working for Twitter but got out before this shitshow.

he had joined the ethics team but didn't stay more than a couple of months iiuc (for reasons that seem obvious)

Ethics at twitter seems like it would be the easiest job in the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GrandpaPants posted:

forget that, what is half this forum going to post when it can't be a tweet embed and "lol"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588538640401018880

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol why is he whining online when he should be Iron Manning

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
People telling advertisers their thoughts is…also free speech?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/_lildubois/status/1045907408474664961

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Helpless advertisers forced to stop giving me money due to tyrannical free speech haters cruelly using their hands and voices to say things. Sad!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zugzwang posted:

I think you'll find that free speech is only okay if I do it. If you do it, that's called oppression.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not even true, advertisers are just scared shitless that their products are going to be advertised right next to white people saying the N word. They’ve always been terrified of that

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

forget that, what is half this forum going to post when it can't be a tweet embed and "lol"

can't wait

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Screencap your favorites now, for the end may come sooner than we think :laffo:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I really thought it would take more than a week.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zugzwang posted:

With brokebrained people like Musk, "free speech" means "I can say whatever I want and nobody is allowed to react to it negatively".

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Cspam will never recover. :rip:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

I really thought it would take more than a week.

Yea he’s trying to skip the circling part and make a dive straight for the drain itself. All for something he impulse bought at a hilarious over-price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1588623274262646785