Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I'm just a BJJ guy who's garbage on the feet, but I still enjoy reading posts from people who are actually knowledgeable about wrestling or judo or sambo or shai jiao or sumo or MMA grappling or whatever even if I can't contribute much to the discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From my view the grappling thread is mostly people sharing techniques they learned that they think is cool and then discussing it or asking for trouble shooting help in a communal discussion or venting about different things that are eating them up.

Or sharing stories about a weird Smash Bros semi-pro gamer who had "cum stains" on their clothes or something and the slow hilarious spiraling of that person going from "I'm a tough athlete when it comes to gaming, time to conquer easy stuff like bjj" into "this is too hard, I quit" while being a dick to training partners the whole time.

The last one happened and is certainly a fun story arc that took like a year.

Edit - Sorry twoish months. Felt like a year.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 28, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Holy gods was I sore after that first BJJ class. That's what I get for taking it easy and resting an injury I guess. ANYWAY, this is where I'm going to stick the more I thought about it and talked to the instructor. Anyone have thoughts on Sanibul gis? I wanna get at least one without school branding and those seem pretty ok from a price vs quality standpoint for n00bs.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Sanabul is fine.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EdsTeioh posted:

Holy gods was I sore after that first BJJ class. That's what I get for taking it easy and resting an injury I guess. ANYWAY, this is where I'm going to stick the more I thought about it and talked to the instructor. Anyone have thoughts on Sanibul gis? I wanna get at least one without school branding and those seem pretty ok from a price vs quality standpoint for n00bs.

I don't have their gis but have their compression shorts/rashguards and they're good. I'd say go for it. If you're in the USA InvertedGear.com have a $99 gi deal at the moment as well and they do some good work with charities etc plus you get a panda on your gi.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Aw man that is a cool rear end panda. I did end up going with the mid-range Sanibul; we'll see how it goes. Thanks y'all!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Any of you goons have long hair? How do you deal with it when you're training?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I certainly do not, but a couple of the young guys I train with tie it up in a ponytail/quasi bun when it gets long enough.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 4, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

EdsTeioh posted:

A low ponytail tied at the base of the skull, generally, or split it into two (so you don't have the knot right on the spine) worked for me. But you'll probably still end up with all sorts of hair fuckery anyway, so be prepared to redo it multiple times per session.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My coach has mid back hair. It's in a pony tail for normal training and tightly braided for MMA fights.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

A low ponytail tied at the base of the skull, generally, or split it into two (so you don't have the knot right on the spine) worked for me. But you'll probably still end up with all sorts of hair fuckery anyway, so be prepared to redo it multiple times per session.

Funny thing, low ponytails seem to also be the preferred method for kendo. A higher ponytail or bun like I usually prefer would get in the way of the helmet fastenings; not that I'm wearing any of the armor yet, just what I see being done.

On that note, I just got the go-ahead to order a uniform! Two days a week of swords for a quarter has been great for me, I really needed it. I always feel like I'm at my limit partway through practice then get a second wind and it feels incredible. I end up smiling the whole day afterwards.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EdsTeioh posted:

top knot

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The last 2 weeks, I've ended up tying a low ponytail, then wrapping it around itself a few times and covering that with another hair tie. Haven't really had any issues.

Class last night was rad! We had something like 4 people even newer than me, so I didn't feel as absolutely clumsy as last week. I will say, however, all that advice about "brush your teeth and use mouthwash before class" is absolutely mandatory.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Taekwondo Assn of Great Britain is hosting the next world tournament in July 2023. We're officially sending a team and I've been asked if I want to go. Probably 2-3 days of competition followed by a week of sightseeing.

Being that I'm pretty firmly in the "not a small guy BB" camp I'm not too sure how much I'm looking forward to flying half a world away for a potential rear end kicking... but I'm also getting into the "old guy" camp so hopefully the other competitors want to go back to work the following week after competition so it's not so much out for blood... but I am not lying when I say I'm more than a little hesitant. Getting hospitalized with a concussion and broken jaw in the UK doesn't sound like an ideal holiday. I'd definitely have to train a poo poo ton which would make Mrs. Slidebite even less happy.

We are also looking at an association trip to Korea in 2024, not for a tournament but just a group trip. That *does* sound a little more up my alley.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Aw man those both sound amazing outside of getting injured in another country. Hell, I wasn't happy to be injured in another *state*.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Our TKD/Hapkido Grandmaster put together trips to Korea. He was World Taekwondo (World Taekwondo Federation at the time) and was very involved in WTF politics. Unfortunately that colored the tours and they ended up being very political. From your posting, though, that doesn’t sound like that’ll be a problem. I’d love to tour Korea, though. Temples, food, sounds like a great time!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, if anyone is deeply involved with TKD out of Korea by definition they almost have to be involved in politics, unless you're one of the super rare ones like GM CK Choi who's involvement in politics is with the explicit end goal of trying to remove the politics and unify the factions back to the original, if modernized "traditional style" which I can't see happening in his lifetime, probably ever.

I suspect our trip would certainly have some TKD tourism involved, maybe visit the Kukkiwon and watch some demos, but it would 90% be culture, food and lifestyle. That totally floats my boat. Especially basically doing a trip with a 10-20 friends. Could be a blast.

The UK and competing... I'll have to think about that some more. I know I'll be doing some local refereeing for sure, as we have another small tournament coming up this winter, but I *might* get into just to feel it out the idea of strapping on the equipment as my last competition was 2019. Spending a few $K to go halfway around the world and potentially get wrecked isn't appealing. It will be contact and there will be a high risk of injuries, especially at BB level. It's pretty much a given. Although, being able to say you competed in the worlds would be kinda cool even if I'm about 2-3 decades later than I should be :shobon:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Any of you guys ever been to any of these seminars that high level folks come around and teach? We've got Rilion Gracie coming this weekend and don't really know if I'd get much out of it at my level.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EdsTeioh posted:

Any of you guys ever been to any of these seminars that high level folks come around and teach? We've got Rilion Gracie coming this weekend and don't really know if I'd get much out of it at my level.

You could try to ask for a syllabus / what to expect, to see if there'd be any material for rank beginners.
Your concern is right -- instruction quality and level of material varies a huge amount, so it might not be suited to someone who's less than a month in. Or it could be really solid bread and butter stuff that you could incorporate right away into your training.

I would definitely do it if your fellow senior students or coach thought the particular stuff Rilion does at a seminar would be instructive for you.

Like the rest of life, you never know what little tiny thing that gets thrown out there happens to really work for you and help you develop and expand your skills.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Hey that's a good way to look at it! I'll ask at class tonight if it's something worthwhile for me.

ALSO the Sanabul gi I ended up getting is NICE; thanks everyone that recommended that one.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

How much does it cost? Rilion's a coral belt, not a lot of those floating around, so in a lot of ways it would be a cool experience I think. If you're worried about stuff being too complicated, I've been to a number of seminars with that type of super old school guy and the stuff they've shown is stuff like armbar from guard, breaking and passing the closed guard, collar choke from mount, and that kind of stuff, often with subtle details I hadn't seen before. On the other hand, dude's a coral belt so I'm guessing he's charging like $100-150 for the seminar, which is a lot.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

butros posted:

How much does it cost? Rilion's a coral belt, not a lot of those floating around, so in a lot of ways it would be a cool experience I think. If you're worried about stuff being too complicated, I've been to a number of seminars with that type of super old school guy and the stuff they've shown is stuff like armbar from guard, breaking and passing the closed guard, collar choke from mount, and that kind of stuff, often with subtle details I hadn't seen before. On the other hand, dude's a coral belt so I'm guessing he's charging like $100-150 for the seminar, which is a lot.

I'm not sure TBH; I think it's semi secret as no one's actually posted anything about it outside of direct emails to students. Totally different levels of guys, but Allen Hopkins was here a couple of weeks ago and that was $40 and a few months back a different school here had Josh Barnett which I *think* was actually free to their students.

edit: Also nice Pike av there. I snagged one of his setlists from an HoF show a while back and keep it in my guitar case.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I did a seminar with Chris Haueter, another BJJ legend when I was fairly new. Got precisely nothing out of it, but I had a great time. I did another seminar with a lesser known guy Henry Akins when I had 6 months of training and I learned stuff I still use years later. So. . .ymmv but if you look at it like a fun social outing where you get to know the sport a bit better you won't be disappointed probably. Oh and don't spend a bunch of money on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a bit of a mantra on seminars. If they are in a subject that genuinely interests me and presented by outside people (the more perspectives the better imho), they are usually worthwhile to attend just as a general rule of thumb. That's regardless if its martial arts, philosophy or whatever.

Of course, of the cost of admission is crazy or the speaker is a known knob/crank, probably not but for something like this I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason not to go.

Also, question RE uniforms, or I guess specifically dobuk/gi type uniforms with a wrap top.

The company that makes our uniforms slightly changed the design. I don't know if I'm a uniform princess or something but it drives me up the wall.
The cross ties on the wrap no longer line up. On our previous ones from years up to just a couple months ago, the ties from the cover to the side were in a line, like this:

Now they are 2-3" vertically offset which makes the wrap/cover pull at an angle when tied and feels just weird as hell.

This is a sz 3 which has about 2" vertical difference. Mine is sz 5 which is closer to 3" in difference. I'm actually altering a brand new uniform because it annoys me that much.

Is it normal to screw with a pattern like this? I almost thought it was made wrong until I saw my friends and hers was the similar. Or are yours like that and I'm just whiny little complainer?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 17, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

looks like they've extended the black trim and placed the tie at the top of the trim as before. I would contact the supplier

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry I didn't explain that.

That black trim is a total add-on afterwards (Its a TKD Dan+ rank thing). The seamstress applying the piping ribbon used the tie as her guide where to end, the tie was on there first. The piping isn't a factory thing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ah ok. I'd still contact the supplier.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah it seems weird to me. I'm letting the masters know but I am curious if the others, even from other arts, have them skewed like that? I think it's a manufacturing error but cannot rule out it's on purpose?

e: So here is my wearing my altered one. Where my finger is, is where the tie originally was.

That *can't* be right can it?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 17, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

Yokkao's been doing a US seminar tour and uploading sparring sessions attendees have been doing with Superlek and Saenchai. A variety of intensity levels

https://instagram.com/yokkao?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

An old coral belt seminar is more likely to contain beginner friendly material than a younger elite competitor seminar. You're more likely to find something by idk the Mendes brothers complicated and perplexing than idk Pedro Sauer. The old guys are going to be working on principles and ideas moreso than inverted spinny poo poo for the current elite meta.

And if you want to go and you're worried about your level, go with a group and make sure you have a partner who is close to your level. That way you won't be worried about frustrating and wasting the time of some random partner, and even better if you have a more advanced friend on top of that same level partner who can help you

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I ended up not going; wanna get some more time under my belt (PUN) with fundamentals before I start doing this kind of thing. It was also very limited spots and didn't really want to take one away from a more advanced person that would have gotten more out of it.

Also as a reminder BJJ is cool and good.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Uniform bummer: turns out standard hakama sizes don't really fit me right. Makes sense, I'm shaped a little different and hakama want to sit in a weird place for my bone structure. So, I ordered some from a custom shop, they took a few weeks to make and ship and I tried 'em on. Turns out the alterations weren't altered enough, plus they messed up the name embroidery, so back they go. Gonna be practicing in sweats for a while longer.

However, four days a week of weapon arts rules. Even in sweats. My posture and core strength are unreal compared to a few months ago and practice in a dojo setting is so engaging it's easy to keep coming back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Question: I find I am still subconsciously holding my breath especially when doing multiple intense moves which is, well, counterproductive. I have been making a point to do a sharp exhale each time I do a strong strike to force myself to breathe and try to put it into habit/automatic, but it's not sinking in. I have to *think* about proper breathing more often than I would like.

Any ideas?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

slidebite posted:

Question: I find I am still subconsciously holding my breath especially when doing multiple intense moves which is, well, counterproductive. I have been making a point to do a sharp exhale each time I do a strong strike to force myself to breathe and try to put it into habit/automatic, but it's not sinking in. I have to *think* about proper breathing more often than I would like.

Any ideas?

Kiais? Yell like you are in an 80s action movie.

You can 'yell' quietly if you are in class. If not, just pretend you're Bruce Lee lol we're all pretending to be Bruce Lee at least a little

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 4, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ohtori Akio posted:

Uniform bummer: turns out standard hakama sizes don't really fit me right. Makes sense, I'm shaped a little different and hakama want to sit in a weird place for my bone structure. So, I ordered some from a custom shop, they took a few weeks to make and ship and I tried 'em on. Turns out the alterations weren't altered enough, plus they messed up the name embroidery, so back they go. Gonna be practicing in sweats for a while longer.

However, four days a week of weapon arts rules. Even in sweats. My posture and core strength are unreal compared to a few months ago and practice in a dojo setting is so engaging it's easy to keep coming back.

Hakama's are highly flexible in terms of fit and it's mostly about experimenting a bit with where you place the straps. If you're on the rounder side, sure, they wont fit as nice, but other than that, there shouldn't be a need to alter them.
Which shop did you order from?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

Any ideas?

I usually defaulted to "inhale when my arms come in; exhale sharply when arms go out." Worked well enough at the level that I got to, but not sure how much that would work for someone at your level.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e:^
I think I know what you mean but not really the same thing. A lot of these drills you're actually wanting to keep your arms up and they're not really doing a lot. Doing full moves up and down the floor something like that might work but not really an issue for me (I don't think lol)

Xand_Man posted:

Kiais? Yell like you are in an 80s action movie.

You can 'yell' quietly if you are in class. If not, just pretend you're Bruce Lee lol we're all pretending to be Bruce Lee at least a little

No, not really that, shouting is common on the power moves, especially with the men. It's more simply breathing if you're doing a bunch of fast moves similar to a cardio drill... like say, for example, a crapload of fast kicks... like standing in place doing 20-30 rapid snap kicks to a pad or that kind of thing.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 4, 2022

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hakama's are highly flexible in terms of fit and it's mostly about experimenting a bit with where you place the straps. If you're on the rounder side, sure, they wont fit as nice, but other than that, there shouldn't be a need to alter them.
Which shop did you order from?

Tozando, the custom ones you pay out the nose for.

The one thing that is not flexible about hakama fit is the inseam starts somewhere, and the way I'm shaped they really badly want to lie at the natural waist. A stock inseam is too high for that. This is partly a trans thing: my waist-to-hip distance is long because my skeleton developed like a guy's, but my hip/waist circumference ratio is quite high because fat has been migrating downwards for years. I have very similar problems with normal pants; I can technically wear them on the hip bone but it looks and feels terrible so it's worth it to me to get them made with a high enough rise.

About the other ongoing conversation, it was very nice to realize the current purpose audible kiai is serving for me is for the instructor to know if I'm breathing correctly. It's very exciting too.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ohtori Akio posted:

Tozando, the custom ones you pay out the nose for.

The one thing that is not flexible about hakama fit is the inseam starts somewhere, and the way I'm shaped they really badly want to lie at the natural waist. A stock inseam is too high for that. This is partly a trans thing: my waist-to-hip distance is long because my skeleton developed like a guy's, but my hip/waist circumference ratio is quite high because fat has been migrating downwards for years. I have very similar problems with normal pants; I can technically wear them on the hip bone but it looks and feels terrible so it's worth it to me to get them made with a high enough rise.,

About the other ongoing conversation, it was very nice to realize the current purpose audible kiai is serving for me is for the instructor to know if I'm breathing correctly. It's very exciting too.

You sure you can't just wear it tied down lower?. What I mean by flexible, is that while hakamas in general are made for standard Japanese no-lump bodies (male and female), the very nature of their design means that they'll fit just about anybody. Very large waist/hip might mean you'll need a 'wider' size, which you then need to get hemmed up. (which is fairly trivial and any local seamstress can do that).
Beyond that, you shouldn't need any alterations.
If you need to wear it so high that the inseam is getting in the way, I think you're wearing it wrong.

Also a bit late now, but for custom uniforms, I would go here instead:
https://www.seidoshop.com/

Tozando primarily re-sells gear now and have relatively little manufacturing on their own.

Also also, just FYI, I'm 5th dan in kendo and have seen a lot of different body types, etc over the years in various countries, so I'm mostly just trying to make sure you aren't chasing a problem that doesn't need chasing.
Fee; free to take it to PMs if that's more comfortable than talking body types in 'public'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You sure you can't just wear it tied down lower?. What I mean by flexible, is that while hakamas in general are made for standard Japanese no-lump bodies (male and female), the very nature of their design means that they'll fit just about anybody. Very large waist/hip might mean you'll need a 'wider' size, which you then need to get hemmed up. (which is fairly trivial and any local seamstress can do that).
Beyond that, you shouldn't need any alterations.
If you need to wear it so high that the inseam is getting in the way, I think you're wearing it wrong.

Also a bit late now, but for custom uniforms, I would go here instead:
https://www.seidoshop.com/

Tozando primarily re-sells gear now and have relatively little manufacturing on their own.

Also also, just FYI, I'm 5th dan in kendo and have seen a lot of different body types, etc over the years in various countries, so I'm mostly just trying to make sure you aren't chasing a problem that doesn't need chasing.
Fee; free to take it to PMs if that's more comfortable than talking body types in 'public'.

I've definitely tried wearing it on the hip bone; I own a (stock) pair that's sized correctly for that and it's quite uncomfortable. The underlying bone shelf that (checks profile) I would imagine you wear yours on is there, but it's covered by a ramp of soft tissue that reliably makes clothing ride up towards the natural waist. It also looks very unflattering but that's less important.

I emailed with Seido, e-bogu, Tozando, and a local tailor (to overbuy and hem up) prior to going with Tozando's inhouse shop. The suggestion of Seido is something I'm going to consider for the future, though, since clerical errors have gotten through the Tozando process for me.

I appreciate your experience and attempting to de-complicate this for me. I have been considering for several posts now how to reconcile an instruction to call anyone with your rank 'sensei' with the posting culture of these forums. It's possible that I went directly for the solution I'm used to in normal pants too quickly rather than fully entertaining an easier and satisfactory one, but the money's spent for now. I also appreciate the offer to discuss privately.