Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the Caps time as a playoff team is over. Too old, too many injuries, the depth is good but not enough to carry games, etc

Also I saw Ovechkin scored a goal last night. Tied with Howe for most all time with one franchise, but what was more surprising to me is that it was his 400th road goal (386 at home). I would think that Ovechkin would have more goals at home just due to being able to line match and "home team X factor" or whatever. The most road goals in NHL history is Gretzky with 402, so it seems likely that Ovie breaks a Gretzky goal scoring record this year.

I'm not sure the Caps have had coaching that does good line matching all that much during the Ovi era. I'd honestly say it's been a weak point of almost every coach they've had. On top of that, having a home arena with maybe the worst ice in the league for the last 25 years may have handicapped his home stats some, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

glynnenstein posted:

I'm not sure the Caps have had coaching that does good line matching all that much during the Ovi era. I'd honestly say it's been a weak point of almost every coach they've had. On top of that, having a home arena with maybe the worst ice in the league for the last 25 years may have handicapped his home stats some, too.

Yea that ice sucks. When I was in high school I played a game there after a Caps game and I remember thinking it was worse than the ice at their practice rink in Ballston.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I was at Prudential center chanting "Fire Lindy" like 13 days ago LOL

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

It is interesting to me that McDavid has never led the league in goals. In the COVID year, he came in 2nd (8 goals behind Matthews), and he has a 4 other top-10 finishes, but never 1st. It is just interesting to me because he has an elite S%, and is always leading the league in points. I would have thought he would have led for one year.

Maybe this is the year, as he is currently on pace for 89 goals. I say he does it.

I don't think he'll shoot 28% all year but he's also been upping his shot total per game in his career. Went from shooting about 3 times per game to 4 times now. Most of that increase is on the PP. He didn't use to look for his shot on the PP and now he does. His S/60 on the PP has gone from 8/60 to this year he's at 23/60.

He has 6 PP goals this year. His career high is 11.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think he'll shoot 28% all year

because he only gets to play Markstrom one more time

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Michkov is in the VHL for some reason and here's a thing he did.

https://twitter.com/Hockey_Robinson/status/1588253065312100352

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

T-Bone posted:

Kinda interesting that Crosby had a similar breakout goals year (well nothing like this absurd pace, but he won the Rocket) in 2009-2010, and was pacing for even more the next year until he got hurt. Pls stay safe Connor

drat I forgot Sid won the Rocket again in 2017 with only 44??? What a weird season for goal scorers.

I will never miss the eras where no one hits 50, and the top point getters barely get past a PPG.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think he'll shoot 28% all year but he's also been upping his shot total per game in his career. Went from shooting about 3 times per game to 4 times now. Most of that increase is on the PP. He didn't use to look for his shot on the PP and now he does. His S/60 on the PP has gone from 8/60 to this year he's at 23/60.

He has 6 PP goals this year. His career high is 11.

Good information. I figured it was a shot amount issue. Looks like if he maintains his S% of 14-16% with 4 shots per game, he'd be around the 50-goal mark.

But, of course, at 28%, he'd be around 90. Seems doable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

I guess it's better than the alternative of giving him 6 mins TOI in the KHL like happens to a half-dozen top prospects every year and yet hardly anybody complains that they're being Shane Wright'ed.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

eXXon posted:

I guess it's better than the alternative of giving him 6 mins TOI in the KHL like happens to a half-dozen top prospects every year and yet hardly anybody complains that they're being Shane Wright'ed.

Maybe it's because no one pays attention to the KHL.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

That's because no one in here spends much time watching the KHL.

Shane Wright played on the 3rd line last night and surprise, he wasn't completely invisible. Almost like putting him up against fourth liners for 7 minutes a night really was the problem after all.

Not that Minnesota showed up to play, but still. Can they just play away games for a month? They're dropping turds at home for whatever reason.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/Hockey_Robinson/status/1588253065312100352

The 2023 draft being stacked is a nice cushion to fall back on now that the Sens snapped back to reality after the summer of Pierre didn’t address the black hole at defense and Zaitsev is back to playing 20 minutes a night

All of the top-4 picks could be top liners, insane

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

The 2023 draft being stacked is a nice cushion to fall back on now that the Sens snapped back to reality after the summer of Pierre didn’t address the black hole at defense and Zaitsev is back to playing 20 minutes a night

Yeah the Pens sure are picking the right year to tank if that's what they've decided to do.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1588565516855037953

Pretty amazing that this kid can keep framing it as an "incident" and an isolated "poor decision". My understanding was that he viciously bullied a classmate with a disability for years, continuing even after a number of interventions designed to make him stop, to the point where he was criminally charged and convicted. And the victim's mom confirmed that everything Miller had done since it came to light was lip service for the purpose of the conviction and image rehabilitation, and that there wasn't any real apology or reconciliation, even as recently as last year.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 4, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
well Bruins management ruined the good vibes I had going. What a bunch of bullshit.

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1588563649882648576

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The Pens will do that thing where they simplify their game to make it the simplest game possible for their goalies to not gently caress up. From like idk mid November to New Years they will play machine like hockey putting up both excellent results and sparkling spreadsheet numbers. Following New Years they injuries will slow them down somewhat and they will return to their 85% effort and sloppy hockey playing close to .500 and finishing 3rd in the Metro before being dumpstered out in the 1st round once again because, as it turns out, it doesn't matter how perfectly they play their goaltending will crack and faulter yet again when put under the slightest of pressure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...Why? He's not even good.

He's a 4th round draft pick.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

T-Bone posted:

e: Devils/Oilers shots were 43-37 in regulation last night :stare: ---- that is a lot for my low event heart

I grew up a Devils fan and only transitioned to the Caps around 2008 or so after living in D.C. for a few years at the beginning of the Ovi era. But it's incredibly convenient for me that the Devils' star seems to finally be rising as the Caps' is waning.

I have no intention of changing allegiances again and I don't even really have a legal way to watch the Devils live at the moment, but man is the quality of the entertainment product shifting fast. Watching the Caps this season it's like 90% grinding defensive battles punctuated with Joe B and Locker yammering about Ovi reaching some new meaningless scoring milestone nobody ever spoke of before that night. Then I pop on the Devils recaps on YouTube and it's all quick transition game, dekes and seam passes. I also like seeing Vitek do well. I think he got a bad rap in D.C.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

...Why? He's not even good.

He's a 4th round draft pick.

If I remember correctly he was considered first round talent, then everyone found out he was a garbage person so no one would touch him, until Arizona drafted him in the 4th.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

well Bruins management ruined the good vibes I had going. What a bunch of bullshit.

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1588563649882648576

With his history, the bruins should be worried he’d bully the fan base.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I get that someone is very different at 14 than they are as an adult but the stuff he did is just so beyond the pale that I don't think he deserves a second chance.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I get that someone is very different at 14 than they are as an adult but the stuff he did is just so beyond the pale that I don't think he deserves a second chance.

It actually started at 14 and continued until he was 16. Then at 18 he lied about having apologized to the family.

I'm sure after this latest 2 year period though...

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I get that he deserves a chance to show he’s changed and to go on and have a normal life, but that doesn’t mean he deserves an opportunity to make millions of dollars playing hockey and being held up as a role model for kids.

It’s ok for a private body to blackball someone for their lovely behaviour. Garbage people don’t deserve a shot to play in the NHL.

e; I recognize that the nhl is full of garbage people. In most cases that isn’t made so clear before they are drafted.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 4, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bub spank posted:

I get that he deserves a chance to show he’s changed and to go on and have a normal life, but that doesn’t mean he deserves an opportunity to make millions of dollars playing hockey and being held up as a role model for kids.

It’s ok for a private body to blackball someone for their lovely behaviour. Garbage people don’t deserve a shot to play in the NHL.

Yea agreed, that's what I meant, but better stated.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

As of 2021 the family of the kid he bullied said that he still had not formally apologized to them or communicated with them outside of the form letter he was ordered to write by the courts. (source on that: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-draft-pick-mitchell-miller-ushl-mvp-vile-bullying-saga-011615380.html)

We don’t need to talk about second chances and showing that he’s changed if he hasn’t even started the most basic steps to showing that growth. He, and now the Bruins by extension, is still trying to act like it never happened.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Based on what I'm seeing online the signing seems to be pretty much unanimously hated by Bruins fans too. I don't know what they were thinking.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Based on what I'm seeing online the signing seems to be pretty much unanimously hated by Bruins fans too. I don't know what they were thinking.

the fans found out he wasn't a racist bully

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
They were thinking it would be NBD and they could pick up a talented player that might help their organization for free.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

It's more that you expect alleged franchise dudes from Russia to play in their top mens league ala Malkin/Ovi/Kovy/etc although physically he's a much different player than those guys so I can see the argument there.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Yeah the top 4 guys project as not only first liners but elite-franchise first liners right now. Now who knows, one or more of them could certainly bust. The last draft where the top 4 all reallllly hit was like 1997: Jumbo, Marleau, Olli Jokinen, Bobby Lou. Although 2015 is probably a better comparison with McDavid/Eichel/Marner and Dylan Strome (if Rantanen or Meier go in that top 4, that's a real good comparison to what we're potentially looking at here).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 4, 2022

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

"How can we try and compete with Habs management?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I know this was supposed to be a joke, but he actually was.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Except he was. The kid he bullied was Black, and part of the bullying was taunting that kid with racial slurs for years before the specific assault that he was criminally convicted of.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm shocked the Oilers didn't get to him first

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

bub spank posted:

Except he was. The kid he bullied was Black, and part of the bullying was taunting that kid with racial slurs for years before the specific assault that he was criminally convicted of.

no fuckin way lol. that's too on the nose even for Boston. "Bruins finally find Bo Jackson of racism and bullying" is like a Wonderllama post came to life

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
What's going to suck is if he makes the team (and I pray to god he never does) you're going to get sound bites from Bruins players like "yea hes a good teammate hes a good kid" and it's gonna make me wanna puke. If that happens I hope Pasta signs/gets traded elsewhere and I can just be a fan of that team instead.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If I remember correctly he was considered first round talent, then everyone found out he was a garbage person so no one would touch him, until Arizona drafted him in the 4th.

... and then almost immediately renounced it. As did whichever college he initially committed to.

Miller tore up the USHL, but that doesn't mean much because top prospects rarely stay there for their draft+2 years. His coach posted a lovely video about how they had a great plan to integrate him with the team and manage the backlash. The nicest thing he could say is that Miller participated in mandatory team activities and didn't do anything obviously bad that they know of. Really damning with faint praise.

Miller also continues to not seem to understand what a sincere apology and taking responsibility means, but its hard to tell how much is because he's dumb as bricks or because he's a callous rear end in a top hat.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 4, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

What's going to suck is if he makes the team (and I pray to god he never does) you're going to get sound bites from Bruins players like "yea hes a good teammate hes a good kid" and it's gonna make me wanna puke. If that happens I hope Pasta signs/gets traded elsewhere and I can just be a fan of that team instead.

I mean, we could also hope that he gets one game against the Rangers and tries to bully Ryan Reaves before getting an earned rear end whooping. But that would require that they pay him an NHL salary and that's not worth it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s just so dumb because besides the obvious moral implications and cap complications aside- in a sport like hockey there are like a dozen guys that are game-breakers and most of the roster can be relatively easily replaced by a hundred other players. Why do this? I really think that some of these GMs do this because they feel like they are “sticking it” to the SJW media because they won’t just let boys be boys.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Yeah the top 4 guys project as not only first liners but elite-franchise first liners right now. Now who knows, one or more of them could certainly bust. The last draft where the top 4 all reallllly hit was like 1997: Jumbo, Marleau, Olli Jokinen, Bobby Lou. Although 2015 is probably a better comparison with McDavid/Eichel/Marner and Dylan Strome (if Rantanen or Meier go in that top 4, that's a real good comparison to what we're potentially looking at here).

The other day, Scott Wheeler said any player in the top-3 projected to be drafted in 2023 would be number-one locks in the past three drafts. Even Carlsson would have been in the conversation.

He also said he doesn't know if he'd rank Slafkovsky over the guys in the 5-8 range in 2023, but he was low on him to begin with.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

... and then almost immediately renounced it. As did whichever college he initially committed to.

Miller tore up the USHL, but that doesn't mean much because top prospects rarely stay there for their draft+2 years. His coach posted a lovely video about how they had a great plan to integrate him with the team and manage the backlash. The nicest thing he could say is that Miller participated in mandatory team activities and didn't do anything obviously bad that they know of. Really damning with faint praise.

Miller also continues to not seem to understand what a sincere apology and taking responsibility means, but its hard to tell how much is because he's dumb as bricks or because he's a callous rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I think the important context is that Miller exploded last year in the USHL, which is already a mid-tier development league, as a 20 year-old. He was also not the top scorer on his team, a younger undrafted guy was. There's a hundred guys who put up numbers like that every year, it's not that significant.

The Bruins really blew up their Reunion Tour PR in order to sign... *scans QMJHL scorers list* American Miguel Tourigny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

WeaponX posted:

It’s just so dumb because besides the obvious moral implications and cap complications aside- in a sport like hockey there are like a dozen guys that are game-breakers and most of the roster can be relatively easily replaced by a hundred other players. Why do this? I really think that some of these GMs do this because they feel like they are “sticking it” to the SJW media because they won’t just let boys be boys.

Miller won USHL Player of the Year last year despite, as I said, being outscored on his own team by a younger undrafted guy, and it was 100% a big dogwhistle for "hockey people think that they are above the common populace and can do whatever they want" dressed up as an "overcoming adversity" narrative