Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Banning walking around with your shirt off is anti-england discrimination and it cannot be allowed to continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

As mentioned, Football Weekly had a detailed segment discussing what the fan experience would be like with Ashley Brown from the Football Supporters’ Association, who had been on a fact-finding trip to Qatar (here, from 32:20).

Suffice to say, it sounds grim all round.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
(more) people are going to die

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Dave Angel posted:

As mentioned, Football Weekly had a detailed segment discussing what the fan experience would be like with Ashley Brown from the Football Supporters’ Association, who had been on a fact-finding trip to Qatar (here, from 32:20).

Suffice to say, it sounds grim all round.

Nice one, couldn't remember which episode it was.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/PatrickStrud/status/1588082401305153536

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Look the gay people just need to compromise

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
smh, do better please, according to the Qatari government criticizing that sort of thing only happens due to anti-Arab racism

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

That's horrific

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Another super cool, not-at-all-controversial thing Qatar is doing: offering free trips for fans if they do exactly as told and snitch on people badmouthing Qatar (NYT paywall, plaintext).

Yep, just a totally normal thing for a country to do. No shady business here at all.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

whypick1 posted:

Another super cool, not-at-all-controversial thing Qatar is doing: offering free trips for fans if they do exactly as told and snitch on people badmouthing Qatar (NYT paywall, plaintext).

Yep, just a totally normal thing for a country to do. No shady business here at all.

you are, in fact, racist if you criticise qatar

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
FIFA would prefer if you would all just shut up about it thanks

quote:

FIFA sent a letter to every team on Thursday, written by president Gianni Infantino and secretary general Fatma Samoura, in which they explained that FIFA was not a political organisation, and is not in a position to moralise.

While a passage from the letter reads: “Everyone is welcome regardless of origin, background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or nationality”, the organisation believes that football should not have to answer for every issue in a host country.

It also addressed FIFA’s role in football’s role around the world, outlining the organisation had only so much power in global issues, stating “we are aware that there are many challenges and difficulties of a political nature all around the world.”

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
FIFA you have the power to do at least one thing and that is choose where to host the World Cup. That is a power you have in global issues, and you chose to host it in Qatar so deal with it. If you choose to host it in a country like Qatar, you should in fact have to answer for issues there.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

FIFA can just gently caress off and I don't think this will be the last world cup I won't be watching. Saw some of the ITV documentary on Qatar tonight and it's downright heartbreaking the poo poo they've done to workers and people involved in promoting the country on the international stage even. From the part I saw and my old man memory:

Someone from Jordan that worked on behalf of the Supreme Qatari Committee or whatever it's called in the media got disappeared because he wouldn't lie and say that migrant workers striking over having not being paid weren't working on World Cup stadiums, because they were

A german journalist trying to get in contact with this guy realised he was being followed wherever he went

The workers mentioned above began striking after 4 months of no pay whatsoever

Someone that worked for the Discover Qatar tourist company for years promoting the country gave notice to then go and work for a Saudi tourism promotion company and got arrested on his next visit to Doha, imprisoned for 25 days, wherein was tortured, and eventually found hanged after being "released". The family have never been able to get a full account of events from the Qatari state.

It's just loving appalling and it's as if Italia 90 had been awarded to Italy only the Mafia were in charge of everything.

e: I realise from a hypocrisy perspective there were plenty of things I could have drawn a line in the sand for with the World Cup being in Russia or South Africa hell even Brazil. Which would be fair but that doesn't make my current disgust less valid and I wear I could have been this disgusted sooner.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

fast cars loose anus posted:

FIFA would prefer if you would all just shut up about it thanks

"stick to sports"

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Tbf this is what will be happening to Iran in Group B so it’s not just a gay or non-Islamic thing

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
There’s a good argument anyone who watches these games is a bad person

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Have you not all considered the fact that David Beckham and idk one of the other rent a stars on FIFAs books went there and said it was great and it was going to be the biggest party of all time. How many caps have these troublemaking journalists and migrant workers got. Not many I bet

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
*lampard face* no but seriously it's really depressing and not very surprising that FIFA and governments in general are just dusting off their hands and going 'hey were only here for the football and our influence extends exactly as far as that pitch and nowhere else'

Especially sad to think that people were highlighting these issues basically the instant Qatar's name came out of the envelope. Even more so that Qatar have already won and get to have superstar players and FIFA execs saying how great everything is and the media (by which I mean specifically football coverage since the issues have been extensively reported on elsewhere) getting in line by saying stuff like 'well it's a controversial world cup but now we're just here to focus on the football. Aren't the stadiums clean'

I will watch it because 1) I'm a massive hypocrite 2) Im a mug who pays the licence fee so not paying extra for the privilege of watching it, and also because the world cup rules and I wont let these grasping fuckers ruin it. I hope every goal is celebrated by a player taking off their shirt to reveal a 'gently caress EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS' message and every post match interview cut short because players and managers are cutting wrestling promos about the state of things. Just make things as awkward and uncomfortable as possible for the guys saying 'hey we pay the slaves now and only kill them for being actively gay what more do you want' because realistically what more can you do

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 4, 2022

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
I don’t think they were given any caps, to be working in that heat, no

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
if tiny gay ball car shows up at qatar, will it be stoned to death

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1588447134587781122?t=2FnUWQ_8klZOh8jCIweUaQ&s=19

That's a yikes from me.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/barneyronay/status/1588440403426312192?t=NdRM7MekWkBNuNu1cWYo3w&s=19

Another reason to hate the England band

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Easily the worst thing about this World Cup.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

FIFA can just gently caress off and I don't think this will be the last world cup I won't be watching. Saw some of the ITV documentary on Qatar tonight and it's downright heartbreaking the poo poo they've done to workers and people involved in promoting the country on the international stage even. From the part I saw and my old man memory:

Someone from Jordan that worked on behalf of the Supreme Qatari Committee or whatever it's called in the media got disappeared because he wouldn't lie and say that migrant workers striking over having not being paid weren't working on World Cup stadiums, because they were

A german journalist trying to get in contact with this guy realised he was being followed wherever he went

The workers mentioned above began striking after 4 months of no pay whatsoever

Someone that worked for the Discover Qatar tourist company for years promoting the country gave notice to then go and work for a Saudi tourism promotion company and got arrested on his next visit to Doha, imprisoned for 25 days, wherein was tortured, and eventually found hanged after being "released". The family have never been able to get a full account of events from the Qatari state.

It's just loving appalling and it's as if Italia 90 had been awarded to Italy only the Mafia were in charge of everything.

e: I realise from a hypocrisy perspective there were plenty of things I could have drawn a line in the sand for with the World Cup being in Russia or South Africa hell even Brazil. Which would be fair but that doesn't make my current disgust less valid and I wear I could have been this disgusted sooner.

at least in russia, south africa and brazil it's possible to play football outdoors and you don't have to rejigger every european league in unprecedented ways to get it to "work". south africa in particular, for all its faults, was the first world cup in africa and helped give african football fans a somewhat improved standing in the world.

qatar is not a country where it makes any kind of sense to have a major football championship, even if one chooses to ignore the place being a hideously corrupt and reactionary shithole that gets off on hurting people. just in considering the simple health of the sport worldwide, this is *stupid*. it starts out as an indefensible decision and only gets worse from there. i do not think it's hypocritical to think that this is a step too far, imo.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Accepting £60 a day and a world cup ticket you would presumably have paid for anyway in exchange for posting about how much fun you're having and snitching on people saying mean things on twitter is really bleak

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how much are they paying you to gas this thread?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mods on the take

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
what if we made the 2026 World Cup extra gay

e: it’s early

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 4, 2022

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

paddyboat posted:

what if we made the 2026 World Cup extra gay

e: it’s early

San Francisco didn't bid for a spot, I'm afraid

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I dunno. CUM 2026 seems pretty gay already. Other than the stupid times games will be on, I'm looking forward to it.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
i think the only way to get fifa to pay attention to any of these issues would be for the players to boycott. the only player i can think of that might have had the balls to do something like that would be cantona. cant think of any modern players that would put themselves on the line like that. i assume (from the players that actually give a poo poo, which are probably few), that they would be worried their respective FAs would never select them again even after the tournament. also, most professional footballers view just being in the world cup as a major career accomplishment, so are more willing to ignore any issues. i think even if US, england, france and germany were to pull out, fifa would just hold the tournament without them, saying "we regret their decision."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

at least in russia, south africa and brazil it's possible to play football outdoors and you don't have to rejigger every european league in unprecedented ways to get it to "work". south africa in particular, for all its faults, was the first world cup in africa and helped give african football fans a somewhat improved standing in the world.

qatar is not a country where it makes any kind of sense to have a major football championship, even if one chooses to ignore the place being a hideously corrupt and reactionary shithole that gets off on hurting people. just in considering the simple health of the sport worldwide, this is *stupid*. it starts out as an indefensible decision and only gets worse from there. i do not think it's hypocritical to think that this is a step too far, imo.

I agree with this.

For all their faults those are at least big nations where they play football, and it was conceivable that they could win a hosting gig fair and square even though we all know they didn't. From a footballing standpoint and a tournament organization standpoint they can be justified, even if from a human rights perspective it can be harder to do so. Qatar doesn't check any of those boxes. From a footballing perspective it was probably the worst bid proposal in the history of World Cup bidding, for the nation least suitable to host a World Cup, and on top of that right from the start there were enormous glaring human rights concerns that have all depressingly come true over the last twelve years. From the day the winning bid was announced everyone knew it was unacceptable, to the point that it was the catalyst for enormous corruption investigations that got all the people responsible thrown in prison and/or banned from football for life. And now the people who replaced them are telling us all to shut up and forget about it and ignore the thousands of deaths and horrible crimes and just watch the football. It was indefensible then and it's unacceptable now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Giving Qatar the world cup was so nakedly corrupt even sepp Blatter thought it was a bad idea

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

also, most professional footballers view just being in the world cup as a major career accomplishment, so are more willing to ignore any issues.

Especially the ones from smaller nations/ones that don't qualify all the time. Like a French or Brazilian star can at least think as long as they keep in shape, they'll have 2026 as a goal. For players from countries like Wales, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Or one they never even thought would happen.

Like this is probably how most of the guys from a lot of lower tier teams feel and then losing out through no fault of their own would be heartbreaking.

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1508205330345381889?s=20&t=xHbuhHwHSZJWeLzpSm403A

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pseudodragon posted:

Especially the ones from smaller nations/ones that don't qualify all the time. Like a French or Brazilian star can at least think as long as they keep in shape, they'll have 2026 as a goal. For players from countries like Wales, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Or one they never even thought would happen.

Like this is probably how most of the guys from a lot of lower tier teams feel and then losing out through no fault of their own would be heartbreaking.

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1508205330345381889?s=20&t=xHbuhHwHSZJWeLzpSm403A

First time in my life that Canada have qualified for a World Cup and it had to be this one

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

You should have to qualify for the world cup at least once before you can host it, imho

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Nostradingus posted:

You should have to qualify for the world cup at least once before you can host it, imho

Especially now that there are going to be like 64 teams allowed!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

Everyone is going to qualify don’t worry

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

128-team tournament
No group stage
All knockout rounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah. From 2026 onward, CONCACAF gets 6 spots in the WC, plus 2 spots in the playoffs for the last 2 spots. I can't even imagine how bad a team has to be to fall out of the top 8 in CONCACAF.