Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Does anyone have a cost-effective alternative to Razer's adhesive grip tape stickers? They're just the right amount of grippy without being tacky, and they seem to hold up well. I've put them on all my mice and controllers, including my new Steam Deck.

That said, $10 is a lot for less than 2"x4" of material when they could probably sell rolls of the stuff for not much more. I'm hoping someone knows of a way to get the material directly. I could even see applying the adhesive manually.

https://www.lizardskins.com/mouse-grip

or

https://lethalgaminggear.com/products/bt-l-grips-diy-sheet

or

https://www.corepad.de/en/Corepad-S...al-Use-DIY.html (these might suck I've never seen the rough grips from them before but an EU goon might want to give them a spin for 4.49 euros. The soft grips own though and hopefully they start also selling DIY sheets of that style)

demostars fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082G5BDNC?th=1

Razer Basilisk V2 is on sale for $20, that's a good rear end deal

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

change my name posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082G5BDNC?th=1

Razer Basilisk V2 is on sale for $20, that's a good rear end deal

clicked the link and it led me to "17 options from $47.33" fyi

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lame. It was $20 directly from Amazon with Prime shipping earlier

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Has anyone else had any issues with a g pro wireless not charging properly? I'm trying reinstalling all the software at the moment. It's only a year or so old.

e- ignore this it just doesn't update it's charging progress for some reason.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 3, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

VelociBacon posted:

I actually could never use a bigass mousepad because I need to keep the surface completely clean at all times or I'm extremely distracted and irritated by it. I've seen some beautiful bigass mousepads/deskpads and I love the concept but in execution I'd be pretty bothered by making sure there wasn't any dust or crumbs or whatever other little debris on it.

My big rear end mouse pad is so big it covers the entire desk. It's fantastic. But my God does it ever get and stay dirty

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't use a mousepad because my mouse reads my desk surface just fine.

*scrape* *scrape* *scrape*

I used to get those $2 unbranded mouse pads from Fry's whenever they had them in stock since they were decent quality (backing was rubber and not that horrible, slippery EVA foam you see on the really cheap ones) and had them in a surprisingly hard to find color: grey. I could get 2-4 years out of one before the cloth started peeling back at the edges and just replace it with an identical one.

I just discovered yesterday that Staples has comparable quality ones that are two for $4.99, and just in time too, because my last remaining Fry's mouse pad was starting to come apart.

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Gray-Mouse-Pad-2-Count-Value-Pack/product_2498471

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 5, 2022

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

My mouse (original Steelseries Sensei still going strong after 10 years) is getting grody as hell, what's the best kind of cleaning liquid that won't dissolve the plastic? Also how would I go about recoating the shell? My goony sweat palms have eaten away a large chunk but I love this goofy thing so I'm in it for the long haul with spare parts at the ready should anything ever fail.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Leandros posted:

My mouse (original Steelseries Sensei still going strong after 10 years) is getting grody as hell, what's the best kind of cleaning liquid that won't dissolve the plastic?

Rubbing alcohol at 50% to 70% dilution.

Leandros posted:

Also how would I go about recoating the shell? My goony sweat palms have eaten away a large chunk but I love this goofy thing so I'm in it for the long haul with spare parts at the ready should anything ever fail.

Does this have the rubberized soft-touch plastic? When that stuff starts degrading there's no fixing it.

I have successfully used acetone to remove the rubberized layer from a thing when it was all nasty. Acetone will also dissolve the hard plastic, but it attacks the rubberized stuff much faster. Wiping acetone onto it with a paper towel turned it into a goo that was easy to scrape off with a blade. End result wasn't exactly pretty -- the acetone makes the hard plastic all streaky looking. But it was clean and not gross.

On a mouse, I'd just buy a new dang mouse.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I used some IPA and it's already looking a lot better, thanks. I'm not sure if the sides were rubberized to be honest, if they were it already wore off without becoming a sticky mess (that I'd have remembered). In any case I was more talking about the top of the shell, under my hand, rather than next to my thumb and pinkie. I guess I can contend with slowly chipping paint though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I think the middle button on my second G Pro Wireless is going bad again. Did they fix this on the new Ultralight one? Any chance their support would upgrade me to that one?

Maybe I should consider the Razer Viper v2 Pro.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KingKapalone posted:

I think the middle button on my second G Pro Wireless is going bad again. Did they fix this on the new Ultralight one? Any chance their support would upgrade me to that one?

Maybe I should consider the Razer Viper v2 Pro.

As far as I'm aware, only the new G502 X series have optical switches. Also, it may not be all of the switches since often they only use them on the main R and L buttons since they get the most use. You could ask about an upgrade but unless they don't have any in stock they usually replace like for like.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
My G903 (non-hero) mouse was doing the dreaded logitech double click or no-click thing.

I bought some replacement switches and a replacement battery and actually managed to replace the switches and battery on my mouse. Everything seems to be working and I can right click again!!

It did take me about three tries to get the mouse back together again, I just couldn't get it to snap together at the end. Found one tiny bracket that was misaligned and all is well. woo!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Back in January I bought a SteelSeries Ultra Lightweight w/Optical Switches mouse. It's mostly fine, but I'm running into an issue with what I could best describe as "missed clicks," where I'll go to click something, I'll hear and feel feedback from the switch that would indicate a click happened, but nothing actually occurs from that action. The only things I could think of that would cause this are either bad switches, or the mouse being light enough that the act of me clicking the mouse is shifting it just enough to be interpreted as a drag. Crossing my fingers that it's the latter: does anyone happen to know if there's a way to decrease the sensitivity for dragging/selecting to help prevent this issue? Or is the solution to just drop my DPI (currently at 3200 DPI) and/or consider a different, heavier mouse?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
3200 DPI is pretty ideal for gaming with most modern sensors, if you go lower you're going to start losing response time. You can use a mouse test website to see if it's the drag issue, they just log the mouse up/down events and don't care if you drag.

Most likely the switches are failing. You can try blasting air into the shell to see if maybe a speck of dust got into the wrong place and is causing the problem, but odds are that sooner or later you're going to have to either replace the switches or the mouse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sounds like the new G502 addressed my biggest issues. New switches, and it's much lighter.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

K8.0 posted:

3200 DPI is pretty ideal for gaming with most modern sensors, if you go lower you're going to start losing response time. You can use a mouse test website to see if it's the drag issue, they just log the mouse up/down events and don't care if you drag.

I assume if you use 3200 DPI you have to lower the Windows cursor speed from the default of 10, right? You're saying that's generally better than keeping the default cursor speed with a lower DPI? Wish I could find this kind of information somewhere but every site still says you should use 800 DPI to be truly pro or whatever.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Yeah, there was a discussion earlier, here

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Interesting, I guess I'll try out 3200 DPI with Windows notch 4/11. Is there a reason to stick with powers of two for DPI or is 3100/3300 for example pretty much the same?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It used to be common for mouse software to let you set CPI in adjustments finer than the sensor itself, with the difference being ignoring e.g. 1 of every 11 counts to adjust from 1100 to 1000. Also known as jitter.

I hope any modern mouse is using a sensor that can actually make 100cpi adjustments. There was never anything special about powers of two times 100.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Back in January I bought a SteelSeries Ultra Lightweight w/Optical Switches mouse. It's mostly fine, but I'm running into an issue with what I could best describe as "missed clicks," where I'll go to click something, I'll hear and feel feedback from the switch that would indicate a click happened, but nothing actually occurs from that action. The only things I could think of that would cause this are either bad switches, or the mouse being light enough that the act of me clicking the mouse is shifting it just enough to be interpreted as a drag. Crossing my fingers that it's the latter: does anyone happen to know if there's a way to decrease the sensitivity for dragging/selecting to help prevent this issue? Or is the solution to just drop my DPI (currently at 3200 DPI) and/or consider a different, heavier mouse?

No, I had this problem with them on the Steelseries Prime Mini Wireless, and my DPI of choice is 1600-ish.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbzs5IFCoMQ

More data on why you should be using at least 1600 DPI, preferably more. The counts being weird is likely going to have a more meaningful impact the more difference each count makes.

e - also why you should always set your sensitivity by physically measuring your 360, which is something that I've done for more than 10 years.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 26, 2022

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Irritated about the new 502. I like my heavy loving mouse, why didn't they just fix the switches?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbzs5IFCoMQ

More data on why you should be using at least 1600 DPI, preferably more. The counts being weird is likely going to have a more meaningful impact the more difference each count makes.

e - also why you should always set your sensitivity by physically measuring your 360, which is something that I've done for more than 10 years.

I fail to comprehend what a console that's been discontinued for seven years has to do with anything.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I fail to comprehend what a console that's been discontinued for seven years has to do with anything.

https://themeta.com/aiming-essentials-mouse-sensitivity/#:~:text=Choose%20a%20specific%20spot%20on,sensitivity%20in%20cm%2F360%C2%B0!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Do in game sensitivities go low enough to counteract such a high dpi? I play at 800 and have to lower the sensitivity in game down so far already. My Warzone is at 3.5. Don't remember how granular it goes for example.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
You raise mouse dpi but lower the windows mouse speed so it's as slow as it was, but it just polls more, is the logic?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Windows sens does not affect 3d sens in anything but some really ancient games. Many of those have source ports with if you actually want to play them. When they don't, you can just drop your DPI for that game. There are some less ancient games that are just technical messes, notably STALKER, which does... whatever the gently caress it wants with mouse DPI for the UI, and pretty much requires you to change your DPI to have the UI be usable.

Yes, some games are trash and you can't set your sensitivity well. Something like COD, fundamentally still being Quake derived, is doubtless going to have a way to edit your settings in the config file even if the UI doesn't let you set it with the precision you want. It shouldn't be hard to double or quadruple your DPI and lower sens accordingly in most cases, but do do the ruler check just to make sure it worked properly, otherwise things might feel off even though the mouse is actually working better.

You can use windows sensitivity settings, in the old control panel, with acceleration off, of 1, 2, 3 and 4 to reduce your sensitivity by a factor of 16, 8, 4 or 2. Don't use 5, it's not an integer divisor and will give you awful, inconsistent cursor movement. But do try jacking your DPI up and lowering your sens correspondingly, I could notice the difference in responsiveness and smoothness even on the desktop.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

cod is granular enough you can go to 100 cm/360 or something unplayably slow at 3200 dpi or w/e using the in-game menu

matching sensitivity exactly 1:1 doesn't actually matter b/c the hand-eye-coordination of a pointing task relies very heavily on visual feedback

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Amazon's got a bunch of Logitech deals today, mostly on headsets, keyboard and mice. Looks like the wireless versions of the G502 X aren't on sale but the wired ones are, and a lot of other mice:
https://www.amazon.com/deal/ea941802/

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Had this UtechSmart Venus MMO mouse for 2 years for PvP purposes and it's amazing. Perfect weight, polymer grip, 12 buttons, better software/more programmable buttons that Logitech, trigger button. I bought a Redragon M908 recently as replacement because it looks identical and I thought it was the same mouse/ that Utech was some subsidiary or something, but it's not the same texture at all and feels much cheaper than this mouse.
https://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Precision-Programmable-Computer-Recommendation/dp/B00FNKMVUO?th=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-rpGhM_Ad8

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've been using a Logitech M510 for a long time. My latest one is starting to have problems catching clicks. Should I consider a different model/manufacturer that is similar but might be better, or just get another 510?

Edit: its a failing switch thing. If I click harder it catches them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Happiness Commando posted:

I've been using a Logitech M510 for a long time. My latest one is starting to have problems catching clicks. Should I consider a different model/manufacturer that is similar but might be better, or just get another 510?

Edit: its a failing switch thing. If I click harder it catches them.

Another M510 will likely last just as long, so if you like the mouse and are satisfied with the lifetime you got, just replace it. Mouse switches wear out; the logi problems with early death aren't the switches themselves but how they use them on many models. The models that don't have the problem are fine.

If the $20 to replace it has more value than an hour of your time, you can check my guide to cleaning the switch contacts. For mice that worked for years before failing it is highly successful.

full point
Jan 21, 2006

I've been using a (wired) Logitech G300s for 6-7 years now. Most appealing aspects are price ($25) and ambidextrous shape/buttons (left-handed).

The "Logitech Gaming Software" is fine using On-Board Memory to configure the buttons.

Every two years or so the left-click switch starts to fail. I chuck it and grab a new one from the storage closet.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The sensor on the G300s is absolute trash compared to modern sensors. That and the fact that it's too tall are really the only downsides of the mouse.

Top buttons are a huge innovation in mice and it really annoys me that they still are a niche thing.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've been using Razer Deathadder mouse (I think I'm on my third one in maybe 8 years), and I think it's time to try something new. Is there a logitech mouse that is similar in shape and weight to a deathadder wireless? I really like my G915, so figure I should give their mice a try as well.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The g703 and g403 basically

G502 is more like a basilisk

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have a Logitech G602 mouse and, as of the past two months, it's started saying it's low on battery - even with brand new batteries in it.

I just came back from the supermarket with fresh batteries and put them in. The power level indicator on the side is showing just one LED lit up instead of three for full power.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Stuff on the contacts would be the first place to look. Take a qtip and rubbing alcohol and see if any crud comes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have a Logitech G602 mouse and, as of the past two months, it's started saying it's low on battery - even with brand new batteries in it.

I just came back from the supermarket with fresh batteries and put them in. The power level indicator on the side is showing just one LED lit up instead of three for full power.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

The 3 leds on the side aren't battery level, they're the DPI setting.

The led behind the grid of dots on the top is the battery indicator. It flashes when battery is low, and uses color for mode -- performance (blue) or endurance (green).