Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It sucks because I'm not completely happy with the 3080 10G's perf on 3440x1440, and I love RT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

uh oh

https://twitter.com/Buildzoid1/status/1588467961895194625

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I was thinking the power connector mess would just be a bad look but not a major issue for NV. Now I'm starting to wonder if they might actually have to do a recall before someone's house burns down.

At least the transient load requirements for ATX 3 PSU's will be useful still but that 12VHPWR connector might have to go.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

ijyt posted:

It sucks because I'm not completely happy with the 3080 10G's perf on 3440x1440, and I love RT.

drat it.

I got a 4k 120hz monitor for cheap, I thought the 3080 would be good enough….

But with more AMD price cuts, it seems like the 6900XT is affordable

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
This is certainly a problem for Nvidia but if the standard itself ends up being hosed that is wild. I’ve been trying to get a 4090 since I assumed the native connector would be fine but gonna go ahead and hold off for a bit now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

one weird thing is there still hasn't been a single report of an FE card melting

coincidence, or does nvidia know something AIBs don't?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

That's not good. The other thing that was pointed out before was that the 8 pin power connectors could handle 300w each but are only tasked with 150w to provide a wide safety margin, while the new power connector could handle ~680w but is being used at 450w to 600w, which is a much lower safety margin. I think that in the end it's just going to be down to manufacture tolerance, slight user errors, and any other little things that add up to make it easy to melt a cable because the margin for error has been removed. When you have a high resistance connection it heats up, but it also causes more power to flow through the other terminals that managed to make a connection. I think the real solution is to just have more pins so there is a fall back for the amount of power trying to go through if there are one or two bad connections.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how much longer is nvidia going to let this drag out before doing something

we're coming up on two weeks since the cards started melting

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Did EVGA know about the melting beforehand? Lol.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

teagone posted:

Can you imagine the smudgeness that is emanating from the EVGA team right now?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hughmoris posted:

Can you imagine the smudgeness that is emanating from the EVGA team right now?

I'm sure Asus is crying into all the money they made selling $1,500+ graphic cards.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

lih posted:

yeah nvidia's pricing is so egregious that it means that amd can get away with what would actually look pretty bad normally (& there's no way they'd be trying it if nvidia weren't far more ridiculous right now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUXp4Hqr_lM&t=2786s

lol amd told media that the clocks can get to 3ghz but it was supposed to be embargoed for now. i guess they wanted to highlight the stock power efficiency instead of raw performance today?

none of this stuff is mid tier though, this is all silly high-end parts. $3k is already well into high-end territory. you can build something totally reasonable for $1.5k or less

If that’s true then the AIB’s including 3 power ports and these massive heat sinks may indicate the OC potential is pretty large.
You’ll be back to sucking down as much power as a 4090. Will be interesting to see performance numbers.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lockback posted:

I'm sure Asus is crying into all the money they made selling $1,500+ graphic cards.

considering AIBs using 12VHPWR was a mandate from nvidia it would be an incredible dick move if nvidia made AIBs eat the loss on sorting this mess out

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
IT must be this TSMC node that loves the juice.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

teagone posted:

I'm sure it was just nvidia screwing over AIBs combined with the evga CEO having a grudge and burning bridges ( :haw: )

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lockback posted:

if what evga said is to be believed, that pile is pretty small

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

xgalaxy posted:

If that’s true then the AIB’s including 3 power ports and these massive heat sinks may indicate the OC potential is pretty large.
You’ll be back to sucking down as much power as a 4090. Will be interesting to see performance numbers.
The HSF's are huge because they're reusing the ones for the NV 4090/80 on the 7900's.

Its a cost savings measure basically. Should be great for keeping them cool and quiet but its not really a indicator of OC-ability.

Given the stock 300W+ TDP's with a 5/6nm chips I wouldn't go expecting big OC's out of them either. They aren't flogging them as hard as NV is its dies but they're clearly pushing on them to hit those clocks at stock.

Maybe 10% or so OC with another 100-150W of power would be my guess.

_____!
May 2, 2004

How much of this if it turns out to be a major problem will fall on the AIB producers versus NVidia? Just out of curiosity.
Edit: of course this was answered while I was typing.

I managed to pay for a 4090 yesterday complete with the order confirmation screen only to get an email saying "JK LOL hope you didn't need that money for 3-5 business days!" But at least there's less of a chance of my house burning down!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

lih posted:

yeah nvidia's pricing is so egregious that it means that amd can get away with what would actually look pretty bad normally (& there's no way they'd be trying it if nvidia weren't far more ridiculous right now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUXp4Hqr_lM&t=2786s

lol amd told media that the clocks can get to 3ghz but it was supposed to be embargoed for now. i guess they wanted to highlight the stock power efficiency instead of raw performance today?
sounds like an embargo screw-up, but i also think amd is just really averse to promoting best-case clocks after the ryzen mess, and having media claim it for you is a good way around that i guess

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just remembered that they already put angled 12pin connectors on 30-series cards to facilitate cable routing without putting hard bends in the cable

why didn't they do that again for the 40 series :confused:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

kliras posted:

sounds like an embargo screw-up, but i also think amd is just really averse to promoting best-case clocks after the ryzen mess, and having media claim it for you is a good way around that i guess
it's also that the reference cards are only getting two 8-pin connectors while the AIB cards can have three.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

just remembered that they already put angled 12pin connectors on 30-series cards to facilitate cable routing without putting hard bends in the cable

I’m still salty that these are in the middle of the card and not at the end because of the pass through cooler. It’s made cable routing in my mini ITX case way more difficult than it should be

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arivia posted:

if what evga said is to be believed, that pile is pretty small

Maybe, but while the 4090 release isn't crypto-mining time levels of success I would be shocked if it wasn't generally a successful launch all around. I think the lower tier stuff will be a different story, but the 4090 seems like it's doing well for being a halo launch.

I don't think we'll see a recall, that seems crazy. I do think we'll see new adapters sent out to people, but I've had similar things happen in the past with the additional chip heatsinks and whatnot. I don't think that's a huge deal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lockback posted:

Maybe, but while the 4090 release isn't crypto-mining time levels of success I would be shocked if it wasn't generally a successful launch all around. I think the lower tier stuff will be a different story, but the 4090 seems like it's doing well for being a halo launch.

I don't think we'll see a recall, that seems crazy. I do think we'll see new adapters sent out to people, but I've had similar things happen in the past with the additional chip heatsinks and whatnot. I don't think that's a huge deal.

I wonder how much of the 4090's success is also down to the crypto poo poo? Anecdotally it feels like a fair number of the people I've seen getting them are justifying the extra cost because they waited out the 30x series entirely due to crypto making everything bonkers. There might be a temporarily higher demand for halo products.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wonder how much of the 4090's success is also down to the crypto poo poo? Anecdotally it feels like a fair number of the people I've seen getting them are justifying the extra cost because they waited out the 30x series entirely due to crypto making everything bonkers. There might be a temporarily higher demand for halo products.

Oh for sure. I think it's also a good timing. Pent-up demand + a legit performance increase that's getting unusual in enthusiast computing + high prices being normalized for a lot of people. Good for Nvidia!

I just think while EVGA might still be perfectly fine with their decision, I don't think other AIBs are exactly regretting staying in.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
He's saying it's successful in spite of the lack of crypto demand. GPU mining is dead since Ethereum went POW. Mining with a 4090 would be net negative and will stay that way unless some random POW altcoin that happens to be GPU-minable moonshots in value. That probably isn't going to happen.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lockback posted:

I don't think that's a huge deal.
Dude, its a pretty big deal.

Selling a product that is a fire risk is a major no-no and could indeed result in a recall and lawsuits on top of that if someone's house gets burnt down. The, normally wrapped up in political red tape, regulators will actually go after you for that stuff.

Pretty interesting to see how some people react to all this though.

I remember how people would react to much more minor issues in other cards, like AMD's R9 290 stock HSF noise and heat, and they'd agggressively poo poo all over it at the time and call it a fire risk. Meanwhile NV can have their cards' power connectors actually melting down and actually creating a fire risk and its no big deal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Dude, its a pretty big deal.

Selling a product that is a fire risk is a major no-no and could indeed result in a recall and lawsuits on top of that if someone's house gets burnt down. The, normally wrapped up in political red tape, regulators will actually go after you for that stuff.

Pretty interesting to see how some people react to all this though.

I remember how people would react to much more minor issues in other cards, like AMD's R9 290 stock HSF noise and heat, and they'd agggressively poo poo all over it at the time and call it a fire risk. Meanwhile NV can have their cards' power connectors actually melting down and actually creating a fire risk and its no big deal.

I'm saying sending out new connectors isn't a big deal, not the issue itself. As in, if they send out new connectors it won't bankrupt them or cause massive financial strain or anything. But I guess edit my comments and then get mad at the thing you just editted.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lockback posted:

I'm saying sending out new connectors isn't a big deal, not the issue itself. As in, if they send out new connectors it won't bankrupt them or cause massive financial strain or anything.

Re-read that link to Buildzoid's post.

Its looking more and more like its not just an adapter issue. Its the actual 12VHPWR connector on the board itself.

They can't just send those out. Its soldered to the board. And if the connector design itself is faulty somehow then replacing the connector with a new 12VHPWR connector is a moot issue. They'd have to redesign the board to take standard ATX power connectors at that point and do a recall.

That won't sink the company, nowhere near it, but it'd be a gigantic blunder with major financial impacts and would go a long way to tarnishing their brand.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

They'd have to redesign the board to take standard ATX power connectors at that point and do a recall.

that may not even be possible since they're so committed to short PCBs, they'd have to redesign the heatsink as well

there literally just isn't enough space for three or four 8pins on here

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I hadn't thought of the potential HSF issue at all there.

Also not financially going to sink NV but it would take time to design and produce a new HSF along with the board if that happens. Maybe 2-3 months before fixed cards could hit the shelves?

I would think the AIB vendors would be pissed if NV makes them eat all the cost on that but I don't really know what they could do about it. NV has too much marketshare for them to blow off.

edit: its supposed to also make it easier to get airflow through the HSF. I dunno how much length and money it really saves but AMD seems to do just fine making a similar flow-through card and using the standard 6-8pin ATX connectors without making their cards much bigger and lower prices.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 4, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

repiv posted:

that may not even be possible since they're so committed to short PCBs, they'd have to redesign the heatsink as well

there literally just isn't enough space for three or four 8pins on here

I feel like this was mentioned up thread but I can't seem to find it

Why are they so committed to it? Is there a benefit other than material cost?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I can’t help but be a LITTLE disappointed with AMD.

The 7900 xtc isn’t good enough for anyone who bought a 4090 to care.

While at the same time its a grand.

Cheaper is good, sure, but man. Talk about a runaway market. I can’t help but feel that if someone can easily grab a $1000 card… idk. This sounds not much different from the same people who could easily grab a 4090.

Maybe I’m not being fair? It just… $1000 for a card pre tax still sucks… buying AMD also means having to live with the AMD drivers, which could be ok, or horrible. We’ll see I guess.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I can’t imagine somebody hasn’t already reported the 4090 situation to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I feel like this was mentioned up thread but I can't seem to find it

Why are they so committed to it? Is there a benefit other than material cost?

blow through coolers are very very good and they need that all the cooling for the power they are shoving into the card. AMD AIBs has been doing blow through cooler since vega56 (i know because i run a vega56 with a blow through).

Taima posted:

buying AMD also means having to live with the AMD drivers, which could be ok, or horrible. We’ll see I guess.

they are less terrible then you think. I very much have had a more stable time with AMD drivers then with NV drivers.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

repiv posted:

I just picked up an actually-from-Nvidia 3060 Ti, and its power connector is not angled like that. They clearly didn't do it for all 30-series cards.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the 3070ti and up had the angled connector

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

wargames posted:

they are less terrible then you think. I very much have had a more stable time with AMD drivers then with NV drivers.

That's fair. I've only heard second hand and honestly I am probably still upset about how the AMD drivers were like 8 years ago. The life of a 36 year old boomer I guess.

e: actually now that i think about it you guys are probably older than 36 aren't you. When I found the SA forums I was literally in like. holy poo poo. Grade school. That means a lot of goons are older. We used to read Cliff Yablonsky in like second grade social studies.

SA is still the best though after all of these years. The GPU thread has the same homies it's always had, which means we can talk about the AMD drivers and actually be envisioning an opinion we had 10 years ago easy.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 4, 2022

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
I've been using my 4090 with no issues whatsoever, Lord Jensen would never sell me a bad product. AMD fanboys coping hard knowing their second rate products will never compete. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wonton posted:

drat it.

I got a 4k 120hz monitor for cheap, I thought the 3080 would be good enough….

But with more AMD price cuts, it seems like the 6900XT is affordable

I'm a stupid idiot who wants to put everything at max and play with DLSS quality for the lovely reflections, every other game that doesn't use RT the 3080 destroys so take my whining with a bucket of salt!