Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kind of surprised this didn't get any comments, I think it's gonna do a lot of work in some older formats as a one of because you can get it with Urzas Saga, plus some cEDH decks alread play Caustic Caterpillar and this is usually a solid upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

The strongest deck was eventually a self mill deck using creeping chill, dark ritual and doom whisperer.

Hahaha you basically had to concede if you weren't on the play because odds are you were just going to get first turn killed.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

These are kinda meh for draft. If you don't have multiples of all 3 or a reliable way to tutor for them they really suck.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Kind of surprised this didn't get any comments, I think it's gonna do a lot of work in some older formats as a one of because you can get it with Urzas Saga, plus some cEDH decks alread play Caustic Caterpillar and this is usually a solid upgrade.

Good Karn wish target in Pioneer/Explorer, as well.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mcmagic posted:

These are kinda meh for draft. If you don't have multiples of all 3 or a reliable way to tutor for them they really suck.

I mean I guess it's like drafting the defenders deck in dominaria atm, right, but moreso? Are they all common?

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I don't want to look at it because it's mildly trypophobic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

!Klams posted:

I mean I guess it's like drafting the defenders deck in dominaria atm, right, but moreso? Are they all common?

Defenders is way better because you have a common tutor for the best card in the deck that literally no other deck wants.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

It's Standard legal. Starting with Dominaria United iirc they also do set-specific Jumpstart packs. They're not a whole big set thing like the original Jumpstart was(and Jumpstart 2 will be), but there's 2 packs per color. Same themes and a rare that's the same regardless of which pack(Both White A and B are Soldier themed and have the dog in it for example) but have different commons and uncommons. Cards in these are considered part of the main set and are as legal in formats as any of the other cards in their appropriate set.

I hate that there are cards legal in Standard you can't get from draft boosters. I hate that there are certain cards that show up once in a while that reach the level of meta playable that you can't get while drafting.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sadly, Unfinity has an "Urza's" name sticker, but no "Tower", "Mine", or "Power Plant".

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mcmagic posted:

Defenders is way better because you have a common tutor for the best card in the deck that literally no other deck wants.

Yeah... you're right. I guess the thing is this is more like, all of these are reasonable 23rd maindecks, what with all the powerstones... I wonder what density you need of all 3 to actually play all 3 though... I'm sure there must be a semi decent draft deck that wants them all?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Mike N Eich posted:

I hate that there are cards legal in Standard you can't get from draft boosters. I hate that there are certain cards that show up once in a while that reach the level of meta playable that you can't get while drafting.

These jumpstart cards are safely constructed unplayable so whales don't buy all the products for new players.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's cool that they have that 5-mana 4/4 that tutors Assembly Workers on the special card sheet. The downside is that I expect to lose to a Wurmcoil Engine at the prerelease.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

!Klams posted:

Yeah... you're right. I guess the thing is this is more like, all of these are reasonable 23rd maindecks, what with all the powerstones... I wonder what density you need of all 3 to actually play all 3 though... I'm sure there must be a semi decent draft deck that wants them all?

When you're putting like 5 of them into your deck they are no longer 23rd cards.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

unless there's some kind of extremely narrowly targeted uncommon payoff for the workers, they're bottom of the barrel commons. I wouldn't put them in my dog's limited deck, let alone my own

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
rest of the commons are up, the protoypes are very cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ashnod is the waifu for people who think they're too cool to hang out with Lily, Elspeth or TWE

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Is there a collection of Indicate edits? I can only find the Sorin one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seriously though do you think they'll ever print a card with the effect "target permanent"? There's a ton of cards that do something when targeted so maybe stapling it as an effect onto a creature

Vicious Fingerpointer

Whenever this attacks, target permanent

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Getting flashbacks to that AI-generated Hearthstone card, Blood Manos. 6 mana for a 6/0 with the rules text "ALL minions".

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

precision posted:

Seriously though do you think they'll ever print a card with the effect "target permanent"? There's a ton of cards that do something when targeted so maybe stapling it as an effect onto a creature

Vicious Fingerpointer

I am keeping up hope for an actual print of [V]indicate for some unset sometime in the future.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

VictualSquid posted:

I am keeping up hope for an actual print of [V]indicate for some unset sometime in the future.

Add some "whenever you target a permanent" "whenever this permanent becomes a target" so there's actual synergy/payoff to the gag.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

precision posted:

Ashnod is the waifu for people who think they're too cool to hang out with Lily, Elspeth or TWE

Why would I need a Liliana waifu when I could just date a nurse who got in over her head on an MLM scam?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

precision posted:

Vicious Fingerpointer

like a 1 mana "Target permanent, draw a card" could probably get some value out of it with heroic

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Add some "whenever you target a permanent" "whenever this permanent becomes a target" so there's actual synergy/payoff to the gag.

Exactly. Make it a whole draft archetype.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

precision posted:

Seriously though do you think they'll ever print a card with the effect "target permanent"?

no

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

Illusions hate it!

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Indicate 1 (Target one creature. That's all, just... Target it.) would be a great ability for a non-acorn acorn-set card, but if you're really asking me to play a whole draft with a thing, I think it's gonna be boring as gently caress without SOME kind of combat trick texture.

Besides, there are such rich opportunities for dumbass negligible effects, it'd be a shame to overlook them if that's what you really wanted. -1/-1 and Bushido 1 until end of turn. Tack on the Hamster creature type. An Aura that makes no changes. Token copies that lose all abilities with power and toughness set to 0/0.

Then you're also less constrained to Heroic being the only form of payoff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean you could just put the payoff on the card. "When this ETB or attacks, target permanent. Whenever you target a permanent you don't control with a spell or activated ability, draw a card"

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Sounds good, you just gotta keyword it "Villainous."

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
target permanent becomes a permanent target

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I like [V]indicate specifically, because it is a small upside on a card that is regularly printed with other small upsides.

it could also be a mode on Johnny's charm/command:
- any number of target permanents.
- any number of target spells or effects.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why would it cost a mana?
It would be like that one posted up thread but it's cleave cost would be 0 to just target a permanent

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I think players would rather have cards that do something.

There's tonnes of mechanics that care about you playing spells (Prowess, Heroic, Magecraft, etc) and there's plenty of 1 mana cantrips that target creatures.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

target permanent becomes a permanent target

That's kind of a cool idea.

"When X enters the battlefield, put a target counter on target permanent.

Whenever you cast a spell that targets the same type of permanent as one with a target counter on it, you may copy that spell targeting the permanent of that type with a target counter on it."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

a zero mana instant whose text is just "target permanent." there I think that satisfies what people are looking for aaaaaaaaand every format is broken now. whoops

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LkDaSLoRI4g

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Paraphrase please, I can't stand listening to Rudy for more than about 2 seconds.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Are prices going up or down, someone said Rudy and my clicking finger went"nope"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Framboise posted:

Paraphrase please, I can't stand listening to Rudy for more than about 2 seconds.

the revised dual lands are very low on buylists right now except star city games [16 minutes of rudy rambling] he's gonna stay invested and buying

also he calls mark rosewater a liar a bunch lol