Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

You know, it hadn’t occurred to me but the conversation in another thread sparked my interest about what I’m going to term Triple Genocide Theory, that German policies in East Africa prefigured the Holocaust. This was in vogue in the 90’s when books came out about Hermann Goering’s father, for example.

The scholarship now, which I guess is the second generation of post-colonial studies, paints a very different picture. Crucially, and this is what I want to draw attention to, it shows that the Germans were not all-powerful colonial overlords and instead came into a situation without much control, much administrative capability, unfolding chaos, and a food supply problem there was no easy solution to. What they did in reaction to that was reprehensible and often criminal, but they didn’t create the situation because they weren’t omniscient and omnipotent.

To be clear - there were widespread famines in German East Africa, German policies often made it worse, and some policies targeted specific groups, or at least, did not extend relief to them.

The difference between the Soviet Archives being opened and not is knowing how much (or indeed how little) information the Soviets had, and how much ability to act. It’s led to reappraisals across whole fields and disciplines, for example the realization the Stalinism presented a sort of executive control that did not actually exist in the bureaucratized USSR, but the popular memory endures. People believed that the Soviets were a towering Totalitarian™️ state, but of course we know now that they were wary of mass politics, the committees and Party handled nearly all of the functions of state, the bureaucracy often did not have the kind of perfect information and total control that it appeared to and so on.

None of this would be apparent to people suffering under it, or writers afterwards. In the case of German East Africa, Prussian Efficiency and Bureaucracy are such strong stereotypes in the English speaking world that there’s been resistance to the idea that they could have possibly been in a situation where they didn’t have much authority, regions and people within their formal borders were outside their control, they were unable to remedy the food supply situation, etc. We think of an all-powerful German state, an all-powerful Soviet state, and so assume all events that transpire within it are under their total control, that they have total information, can act totally, and so in both cases the often very dry and boring records that bear out administrators trying to cope with a situation - and again, often acting reprehensibly - that’s ignored because it doesn’t fit with the English speaking world’s idea of their state power.

People think about present day China in the same way. Possibly even Mao-era China. Which is like, lol it's a sixth of humanity, 1.4 billion people. If Xi Jinping wants to do some big thing that poo poo has to filter down through probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of civil servants and party member cadres and then be executed by possibly millions of people, each of which might misinterpret, be lazy or corrupt or just plain gently caress up. Yet western media whenever something bad happens in China is like "why would Xi do this?".

To relate this back to the war. How much control does Putin have anyway? It's not like we're going to know until well after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/JeffSchogol/status/1588540669060329474

speng31b
May 8, 2010

this is war, gentlemen

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

dudes rock

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jeff Schlongo is the best possible person to report this.:hai:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

going to buy a shipyard in ukraine for less than the cost of a two bedroom crackhouse in vancouver

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1588554993216278529

Get our asses!:yeah:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Timothy Snyder started a youtube lecture series when the war broke on. On the history and making of Modern Ukraine.

I haven't got to watch it but I'm guessing it's one-sided.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

people claiming red-brown or whatever really breaks my brain

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Chewbaccanator posted:

You can go into the individual properties being sold and look at the pictures and where they are. You can even bid on stuff directly. It's all available in English: https://privatization.gov.ua/en/

It's kind of insane, a Clinton fever dream from the 90s.

Lots of potential goon projects here!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

https://twitter.com/jebbbby/status/1588270892240764929

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

people claiming red-brown or whatever really breaks my brain

I thought so too until Crowsbeak happened

They’re rare, but they’re real

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

nomad2020 posted:

:justpost:

Saw we have a new QCS apology and thread, I’m assuming this means no one’s won yet?

no, turkey stays winning

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks I might share the Jacobin article and the Jewish Currents one with him. I don’t know if it'll change his mind, but well it'll layout where I'm coming from in criticism of him

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88qk4b/what-the-hell-is-magacommunism

This is what everyone of you tankies literally believes

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

(from t.me/montyan2/3284, via tgsa)

I am too lazy to actually check if they're listed here https://privatization.gov.ua/

The site sucks poo poo to navigate on mobile, someone else can do the needful if they care that much.

every western liberal cheering on the most hard right economic policy imaginable. app like Pinochet learned to code.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chewbaccanator posted:

I welcome a new thread but sincerely hope this lovely war is over soon and we have to find something else to shitpost about inshallah.

This thread is but a light-hearted dress rehearsal for the inevitable China invades Taiwan thread in 2024.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

These people really do find utter contempt in people having their own immediate problems . Just seeing the personalities of Liberals and Conservatives collapse into one sneering hate for anyone that actually has to work for a living

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

KomradeX posted:

These people really do find utter contempt in people having their own immediate problems . Just seeing the personalities of Liberals and Conservatives collapse into one sneering hate for anyone that actually has to work for a living

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
I get so loving furious when people don't care about Ukraine as much as me. Absolutely livid. It's seriously horrific that you don't care about Ukraine.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

When you understand why you dismiss all the other Ukraines, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wheeee posted:

going to buy a shipyard in ukraine for less than the cost of a two bedroom crackhouse in vancouver

War ends after mysterious buyer is revealed as Gazprom

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Isn't that basically always the LaRouchians?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

genericnick posted:

Isn't that basically always the LaRouchians?

Calling LaRouchites red/brown is one of those things that's broadly accurate but gets less true the more you dig down, because the reality of their beliefs are infinitely dumber and stranger than a basic red/brown or strasserite ideology.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hey lady, tell me if it all the blood and death was good for biden in like a week

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My "this was not supposed to look like a penis" flight plan filed with Command and the FAA is raising questions that I feel have been adequately explained by

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Azathoth posted:

Calling LaRouchites red/brown is one of those things that's broadly accurate but gets less true the more you dig down, because the reality of their beliefs are infinitely dumber and stranger than a basic red/brown or strasserite ideology.

yeah its brown all the way down there

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Azathoth posted:

Do they even have believes? They always seemed the opest of ops to me.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Is it just me or does everyone with the stable Diffusion ai Bernie Sanders avatars just kind of blend together now

Except for the shifty nipples one, that one rules, long may be reign

:hmmyes:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

genericnick posted:

Do they even have believes? They always seemed the opest of ops to me.

There's that whole thing about the secret war between Platonists and Aristotelians (I think that's who can't be bothered to check), but that's closer to religious belief than political belief.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Azathoth posted:

There's that whole thing about the secret war between Platonists and Aristotelians (I think that's who can't be bothered to check), but that's closer to religious belief than political belief.

uh, didn't know that ubisoft was a larouchite company

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Brandon Proust posted:

uh, didn't know that ubisoft was a larouchite company

Yeah that series has had plenty hot takes over the years.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i have full faith in the legendary Ukrainian justice and prison system lol

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Ardennes posted:

Yeah that series has had plenty hot takes over the years.

Assassin’s Creed is canonically both against the French and Russian Revolutions

Also I'm pretty sure Putin has an Apple of Eden or whatever

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

This thread is but a light-hearted dress rehearsal for the inevitable China invades Taiwan thread in 2024.

the drama that comes from this would be amazing. 'look, we've been doing monroe doctrine for 200 years, but'

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I get so loving furious when people don't care about Ukraine as much as me. Absolutely livid. It's seriously horrific that you don't care about Ukraine.

💯

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Резидент posted:

⚡️⚡️⚡️#Инсайд
Our source in the OP told us that there are more and more problems with volunteers/mercenaries, and for the AFU they are turning into ballast. Soldiers coming from abroad have a dramatic drop in morale, it is becoming much harder to fight, and they are not accustomed to the late-autumn weather and the hardships associated with it. Information keeps coming in that they refuse to obey AFU commanders, break discipline and complain to the Western media. If at the beginning of the war they played a significant role for the Ukrainian army, now the situation is changing dramatically.

https://t.me/rezident_ua/14872
(from t.me/rezident_ua/14946, via tgsa)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

iCe-CuBe. posted:

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1588459008608047106