Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Can anyone help me identify this movie (fiction)?

I watched in in college in the 00s for a Spanish class in the United States: it had to do with migration across the US–Mexican border. I am sorry that I remember very little about it other than the very sad closing scene of our male protagonist having a conversation with his family through the bars of the Tortilla Wall, metal posts driven into the beach between Tijuana and San Diego with waves lapping. The border crossings he had been making were too risky or he had gotten in some legal trouble, and returning to Mexico was not an option for him.

Edit: Thank you, Letterboxd: the film was El jardín del Edén (María Novaro, 1994)

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how did you find it through letterboxd

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

a movie (possibly TV show?) from the 2000s/2010s, where a guy starts dating an overweight/"unnattractive" woman, and the relationship goes well but he hides it from his coworkers/friends. Eventually she discovers this and becomes violent (I cant remember whether it was towards him or towards herself?)

I can remember the female characters face but cant identify her bc I cant remember her name or what else shes been in

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kvlt! posted:

a movie (possibly TV show?) from the 2000s/2010s, where a guy starts dating an overweight/"unnattractive" woman, and the relationship goes well but he hides it from his coworkers/friends. Eventually she discovers this and becomes violent (I cant remember whether it was towards him or towards herself?)

I can remember the female characters face but cant identify her bc I cant remember her name or what else shes been in

I didn’t know someone leaked my fan-edit of Shallow Hal. Huh

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

I only know it as described on a bad movie podcast and it's earlier, 1989, but: the Ricki Lake TV movie "Babycakes"?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Alan Smithee posted:

how did you find it through letterboxd

the Chicano list I linked to — I remembered that much about it and just kept scanning posters on lists of Chicano films until one sounded familiar. then somehow, the whole film is on YouTube — I skipped to the end and there was the scene I remembered

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That’s a great list, thanks for linking it.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Ashlie Atkinson on Rescue Me (2004-2011)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x016Cl5J5E

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Was browsing Instagram the other day, and as I closed it, I briefly saw something that looked familiar, but I couldn't place it. Don't know if it's even from a movie. Could be a TV show or even an ad. It was a screenshot of a doctor examining someone's mouth with a tongue depressor, but the shot is from inside the mouth, with the mouth being a clearly oversized prop for perspective.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Detective Thompson posted:

Was browsing Instagram the other day, and as I closed it, I briefly saw something that looked familiar, but I couldn't place it. Don't know if it's even from a movie. Could be a TV show or even an ad. It was a screenshot of a doctor examining someone's mouth with a tongue depressor, but the shot is from inside the mouth, with the mouth being a clearly oversized prop for perspective.

Dr Giggles and Little Shop of Horrors, off the top of my head, but I’m sure there are others

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That’s in like every single horror or horror-adjacent thing with a dentist, which are more common than you think. It’s an obvious and really cool shot to do.

To add to the list, there’s one in The Dentist (natch) and of all things, Sam Raimi’s Crimewave.

poo poo I think it’s in the rightly forgotten Matthew Perry vehicle The Whole Nine Yards (the original Bruce Willis Sleeps Through It Movie).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm gonna randomly guess is that famous scene in The Little Shop of Horrors.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

rollick posted:

Ashlie Atkinson on Rescue Me (2004-2011)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x016Cl5J5E

That was exactly it! thank you!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The 80s Little Shop of Horrors?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Pretty sure it's Dr. Giggles. Found an image of that shot and he's got the tongue depressor and all, and I would have seen that movie once ages ago, so that triggered a vague memory of it. Thanks.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm looking for a film that I only caught the ending of, ages ago. 70s or 80s, about the CIA or a similar sinister government agency using/brainwashing telekinetic or clairvoyant people to perform assassinations, I think. The finale involved the protagonist to unleash his powers in the agency's high tech facility.

I used to think it was The Fury, but I just watched that and it doesn’t match. It's not Scanners or Firestarter either. The main antagonist was a well known actor, though apparently not Kirk Douglas, like I thought. Other names that came to my mind for the role were Lee Marvin or Robert Vaughn, but glancing at their filmographies hasn't turned up a match.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm looking for a film that I only caught the ending of, ages ago. 70s or 80s, about the CIA or a similar sinister government agency using/brainwashing telekinetic or clairvoyant people to perform assassinations, I think. The finale involved the protagonist to unleash his powers in the agency's high tech facility.

I used to think it was The Fury, but I just watched that and it doesn’t match. It's not Scanners or Firestarter either. The main antagonist was a well known actor, though apparently not Kirk Douglas, like I thought. Other names that came to my mind for the role were Lee Marvin or Robert Vaughn, but glancing at their filmographies hasn't turned up a match.

Sounds like the original Firestarter w George C Scott

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

Sounds like the original Firestarter w George C Scott

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's not Scanners or Firestarter either.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hannibal Rex posted:

It could be Dreamscape.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

The plot doesnt match but your description made me think of Lifeforce with the govt agencies and supernatural powers, idk just rang a bell i figured id toss it out there

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

K, how bout The Power with George Hamilton?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One of the Scanners sequels maybe?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Zogo posted:

It could be Dreamscape.

That one looks promising.

The Power is too old. It definitely hat a late 70s, early 80s aestethic - another film I at one point thought it might be it was Brainscan. That was another miss, but the tech design was close.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hannibal Rex posted:

It’s The Parallax View.

e: to be clear, they brainwash Warren Beatty into being an assassin, but he doesn’t have magic powers, so I’m probably wrong.

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 30, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Manchurian Candidate maybe?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Very 60’s and in black and white, probably not that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Torquemada posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056218/
There was a B&W version in 1962

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Torquemada posted:

White guy blink dot gif to living in a world where someone thinks of the (admittedly good) remake of Manchurian Candidate and not the original

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Y’all know that Torquemada isn’t the OP, right? He said it can’t be The Manchurian Candidate because he actually read the request which said it was from the 80’s.

It was like four posts up. This isn’t exactly a feat of reading comprehension.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Y’all know that Torquemada isn’t the OP, right? He said it can’t be The Manchurian Candidate because he actually read the request which said it was from the 80’s.

It was like four posts up. This isn’t exactly a feat of reading comprehension.

Yeah, but I am very stupid.

(I see how I hosed up now.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trevor Hale posted:

Yeah, but I am very stupid.

(I see how I hosed up now.)

You’re not alone.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Thank you and I hope we all learned something today.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
This question doesn’t quite fit here but I can’t find anywhere better to post it, apologies.

Last night I watched Edge of the Axe, overall a pretty good late-80’s slasher that has some amusingly dumb stuff in it as well. There’s one scene where there’s a computer you can ask random questions to (pre internet search engines) and the female lead asks the computer if the male lead is gay and then kisses him when the computer can’t answer. I remember seeing that clip somewhere before, probably in the context of making fun of it, but I can’t for the life of me figure out where that was and it’s driving me crazy. I thought it might be redlettermedia but google tells me they’ve never done that movie so no clue. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

different youtube reviewers maybe?

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=v...h=1866&dpr=1.05

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

I don’t think so. I don’t really watch any YouTube outside of Best of the Worst and the shadenfreude thread.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IMDb says these two things reference the film at least:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16235054/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2358836/

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Zogo posted:

IMDb says these two things reference the film at least:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16235054/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2358836/

Haven’t seen them, but thanks for the links, both look interesting! EotA did have a pretty good twist/ambiguous ending that I’d love to discuss with my friends but none of them like old horror movies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Something like Conan O'Brian? Sounds like something he'd put on

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm going slightly mad I think. I watched a trailer for a movie that I think had Bill Nighy in it. In the trailer he's talking to his mother, in London and its his birthday, he's wearing a suit, looks smart so is she but she's distant, formal with him? They dicuss someone he killed in Paris and its clear he's a hitman, maybe both his parents were as well?

I saw this trail with my wife and now we cannot remember anything else about it, and it seems it ls not Bill Nighy as its not on his IMDB.

Anyone got any ideas? A new film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
One of the Kingsmen movies?