Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I kinda get his point
https://twitter.com/maolesen/status/1588428533617283072

We know how to manage HIV, it's not a death sentence any more, whereas we have no idea what will happen to people who had SARS-CoV-2 in 20 years time.

Probably more like "statistically notable increase in heart disease" than "AIDS 2.0" though.

You can, however, very easily avoid getting infected with HIV and live a completely normal pre-pandemic lifestyle.*

You can't really keep dodging Covid to the same degree without eventually resorting to wearing NBC gear outside the house or moving to China.

*unless said lifestyle involves having wild, unprotected sex with anything that moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
"data suggests that telomere damage ages the body by about 5 years" is a series of pretty massive leaps

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

*unless said lifestyle involves having wild, unprotected sex with anything that moves.
If it does then you really should consider PrEP.

Which I think is part of his wider point, although of course he phrased it in the most binary edgelord way possible because that's the law on twitter, but the past 25 years have seen absolutely phenomenal changes in how HIV/AIDS is treated and managed both at the individual and population levels, and without drawing a direct comparison between two very different viruses hopefully the same will be true of Covid in a few more years time, but there's still a lot of known unknowns about long Covid, long term immune damage, etc.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jiggerypokery posted:

Maybe from covid :tinfoil:
Maybe he’s born with it
Maybe it’s COVID-19

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also, don't the anti-HIV drugs you have to take regularly to keep your immune systems have some fairly unpleasant side effects? Just because the future impact of covid is unknown doesn't mean you pick the known fairly bad impact.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

If it does then you really should consider PrEP.

Which I think is part of his wider point, although of course he phrased it in the most binary edgelord way possible because that's the law on twitter, but the past 25 years have seen absolutely phenomenal changes in how HIV/AIDS is treated and managed both at the individual and population levels, and without drawing a direct comparison between two very different viruses hopefully the same will be true of Covid in a few more years time, but there's still a lot of known unknowns about long Covid, long term immune damage, etc.

I've had Infectious Disease people tell me they would rather have HIV than diabetes which is fair enough, both are long term chronic conditions and HIV is eminently more manageable in that regard than diabetes. Comparing COVID to HIV is deeply disingenuous though. For one if the NHS collapses you can kiss goodbye to all that free HAART, PREP and welcome your new buddy Pneumocystis carinii.

Edit - ^^^ Seems variable depending on the individual like all drugs but yeah, some do get some pretty nasty side effects which leads to compliance issues.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
regardless of the actual content of the claim, it's one hell of a take to be putting on twitter

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Also, don't the anti-HIV drugs you have to take regularly to keep your immune systems have some fairly unpleasant side effects? Just because the future impact of covid is unknown doesn't mean you pick the known fairly bad impact.
The newer ones are much better than the older ones. Obviously the only totally safe long term medications are the ones you don't take, but afaik they're now closer to azathioprine in the "increased risk of liver damage and immune weirdness" than "constant nausea and cognitive issues."

If he'd gone with 'exposed to' rather than 'infected with' it'd be a lot more reasonable, because we have all much better PEP for HIV now too, but twitter is the enemy of nuance so you have to go all out with "I'd rather have the worst thing ever from 40 years ago than the thing everyone tries to say is over already now" because saying "Covid is far from over, and the long term possible effects worry me, but look at the great work we've done in the recent past for virology" is not allowed (and there's a million other brainlets still going around saying "Covid isn't real")

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/04/home-office-contractors-disciplined-trying-to-sell-drugs-manston-asylum-centre

quote:

Home Office contractors removed for trying to sell drugs at Manston asylum centre
Exclusive: Staff disciplined after asylum seekers understood to have complained about attempts to sell them cannabis

Home Office contractors have been disciplined after trying to sell illegal drugs to asylum seekers at the crisis-hit processing centre at Manston in Kent.

It is understood the issue came to light after asylum seekers at the site in Ramsgate complained that security staff had tried to sell them cannabis. Security guards also raised concerns that their colleagues were smoking the drug while on duty.

A Home Office statement said: “The Home Office expects the highest standards of professionalism from all those contracted to manage the detention estate. The individuals involved in this incident were swiftly removed from the site and we will continue to take robust action against those whose behaviour falls beneath those high standards.”

etc

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Went and stood with some striking workers for a bit today (the educational workers I posted about last night). Found out there was a picket line just a couple of miles from my house so went on down.

Good atmosphere. *Tons* of people honking in support passing by.

Also seems like it'd be a good way to meet people. I recommend it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We will tolerate overcrowding, disease, racism, and inhumane conditions, but a plant is where we draw the line.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Do I need to have had COVID-1 through COVID-18 to get COVID-19, or can I jump straight in? These franchises can be exhausting.

On another note, yeah, glad to see the CUPE thing happening.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
They probably complained because their money was confiscated and alternative payment methods were required.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The government's Drug Free Hell Camps policy will prevent these kind of abuses, but only the bit where you get any drugs as part of the deal.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That Spectator cover is, er... very 1930's Germany

https://twitter.com/Sathnam/status/1588607215090675713

e: This made me lol

https://twitter.com/stebrown8/status/1588150897162567681

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 4, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
To be fair it does say free cash withdrawals right there.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

now that's some good crime

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It says "free cash withdrawals" on the machine I dunno what else you would expect??

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/casparhenderson/status/1588546237703196673

:toot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Christ that's dire

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That line from 2016 :stare:

unlit uplands baby!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/Wulfboyraff/status/1588496367332491264

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
So, uh, heads-up Enola Holmes 2 has some pretty good politics. I started it up thinking that I would watch 30 minutes of this then go to sleep and now it's 2am.

I seem to remember the first one being a little 'voting will save us' and this one is much more 'voting will not save us, only through direct action and a deep sense of active solidarity can we achieve results against the corruption in the system'.

Which yeah, not quite what I expected, would recommend.

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Going from having one of the best healthcare systems in the world to this is one of the things other than the iminent existential dread of climate change that makes me crack-ping.
I see it in the pharmacy I work at all the time, it's absolutely frustrating how many people can't get seen for issues and illnesses that clearly need clinical monitoring.

The Tories can go get hosed into the void.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In their heads they're defunding it to get it to the point where private healthcare companies can 'save' it. Except they won't, they'll take the government's money, at best run it at the current level of failure, and as praxiscast put it, "run off giggling to a tax haven."

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1588809217477001217?t=fRpTBx9MZmW06VPGX3Lb3Q&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sorry To Bother You is on the iPlayer & you should really watch it if you haven't seen it, tremendous film

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

fuctifino posted:

That Spectator cover is, er... very 1930's Germany

https://twitter.com/Sathnam/status/1588607215090675713

What's crazier is that they originally commissioned it 8 years ago for a cover story about why Britain should be accepting more refugees

https://twitter.com/cjayanetti/status/1588579432369115136

Morten Morland is unsurprisingly pissed that the Spectator have changed the context of his artwork to be super racist.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/30/record-number-nurses-quit-nhs-analysis-reveals/

The privatisation push is working.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1588849299718230016

Pro click, which is exceptionally rare for HIGNFY

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Well she's totally right.

I agree lets limit annual spending on pensioners to £2.5billion.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trying to murder other people is obviously bad, but killing yourself? Unforgivable.

What the gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because you can't try murdering again tomorrow, I guess.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In their heads they're defunding it to get it to the point where private healthcare companies can 'save' it. Except they won't, they'll take the government's money, at best run it at the current level of failure, and as praxiscast put it, "run off giggling to a tax haven."

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1588809217477001217?t=fRpTBx9MZmW06VPGX3Lb3Q&s=19

i agree with rishie: there's always pitchforks and lampposts :hehe:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1588863073833472001

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
no excuses for driving your SEAT SUV to a prison camp housing desperate and voiceless people in horrific conditions to try to immolate them and then driving to the nearest services and offing yourself in a way that would have been too slapstick for The Simpsons, BUT

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What I don't get about the politicians who are both pro-NHS privatisation and pro-Brexit is: okay, you've successfully starved the beast and made sure the NHS can no longer function, opening the door for the private sector to do a "better" job (and make loads of money). Where the gently caress are you expecting to recruit all the nurses and other staff for your fancy private hospitals? Can't get them from the UK because nobody will work for the poo poo pay and conditions you'll be offering in order to maximise profits. Can't get them from the EU because Brexit. Can't get them from cheap third-world countries because racism.

Or is the plan literally "the rich elite pay through the nose for luxury healthcare, and everyone else dies"?

(I know, what does my heart, etc.)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Payndz posted:

That'll be £52,000 for the ECG test to find out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the mistake is thinking that market true believers (excluding, for the premise of the argument, those who employ it cynically as a tool to achieve other aims) actually understand or even think about how things actually work. Rather I think the beginning and the end of the belief is simply that it gives them a feeling of understanding and a certainty they can use to defend the inside of their own head against their political enemies. It also doubtless progresses into defending all the other things they like (insert any of a range of extant bad ideas in society here that other, more thoughtful people are trying to change) but I think first and foremost it satisfies a need for them to believe they are right and understand things, which doesn't actually have to be true so long as they believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Payndz posted:

What I don't get about the politicians who are both pro-NHS privatisation and pro-Brexit is: okay, you've successfully starved the beast and made sure the NHS can no longer function, opening the door for the private sector to do a "better" job (and make loads of money). Where the gently caress are you expecting to recruit all the nurses and other staff for your fancy private hospitals? Can't get them from the UK because nobody will work for the poo poo pay and conditions you'll be offering in order to maximise profits. Can't get them from the EU because Brexit. Can't get them from cheap third-world countries because racism.

Or is the plan literally "the rich elite pay through the nose for luxury healthcare, and everyone else dies"?

We're headed towards the distribution of healthcare being a tool for subjugating workers, it's mundane as gently caress, just look at the USA if you want to see the path. We may get some cyberpunk poo poo at some point, having your robot limbs turned off if you don't fulfill your 5 year amazon warehouse contract etc, but before that it'll be your medicine subscription.